Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1098) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4441782 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1095) (1096) (1097) (1098) (1099) (1100) (1101) ... (3678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 5:02pm On Jan 14, 2019
consecutively? and for how long?

KolaShangOne:

And please water it day and night. We are in the dry season.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 6:20pm On Jan 14, 2019
KolaShangOne:

And please water it day and night. We are in the dry season.
good point.
Professionally, curing is supposed to be done by preventing escape of water from the concrete.
If there's a means of wrapping up the concrete with cellophane, that will be the best. In the absence of that, try not to let the body of the concrete dry up, keep watering it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 6:21pm On Jan 14, 2019
Pojomojo:
tongue
Pardon?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 6:44pm On Jan 14, 2019
FADEO:
Very interesting analysis. Thank you so much. I will just wait for like 1 months or 2 month self to avoid stories that touch the heart and soul.

That'll be too long. You can start block work after a week provided you don't remove the woods and bamboos used to support the slab
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
anochuks08:
Hello house, please what is the remedy to a house with humming german floor. The foundation was done during dry season, though after filling, it was watered and rammed but i guess that wasn't enough. After the rainy season, the foundation settled further, thereby leaving little space between the dpc and the earth filling which gives a humming noise when stepped on forcefully, Please what is the perfect way to fix this.

There's absolutely nothing you can do as long as there's no actual cave in of the concrete floor.
Except you choose to mark out the affected areas, break the concrete, refill with back filling material and cast again.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bub360degree: 7:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
Kindly contact us For your

Aluminum windows

Concrete building Blocks

Granite and Sharp Sand.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2019
damola311:
Hi guys! I'm a follower of this thread and I will like to ask a question.

For someone who can't afford doing a German floor, is it advisable to cast just the foundation blocks all round with 4inches thickness or so and cover it with DPM Nylon?

The land is great, not waterlogged, a dry land.

Just want to make sure this is right and won't affect the main building?

You can afford to do the german floor. It's not only granite that's an aggregate material for such purpose. There are other alternatives.

Given that, you can do a plinth beam(chain the entire wall line with rods and cast it).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:13pm On Jan 14, 2019
KolaShangOne:

1. The Thickness.
2. The Price.

0.55mm is thicker and I'll recommend it over 0.45mm if cost is not a problem (talking about imported aluminium)

But then, the factory you buy from is also a factor.
0.45mm from Tower or First Aluminium is thicker than 0.45mm imported.

Would you recommend 0.40mm (First Aluminum) for a small duplex?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by damola311: 9:14pm On Jan 14, 2019
bixton:

You can afford to do the german floor. It's not only granite that's an aggregate material for such purpose. There are other alternatives.

Given that, you can do a plinth beam(chain the entire wall line with rods and cast it).

I checked the plinth beam online now and that's a great idea. It's very close to what I'm actually asking aside the iron rod part...

So that's the best to do(Using iron rod) instead of using DPM Nylon?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2019
damola311:

I checked the plinth beam online now and that's a great idea. It's very close to what I'm actually asking aside the iron rod part...

So that's the best to do(Using iron rod) instead of using DPM Nylon?

From my tiny understanding of plinth beam, it's actually for foundation footings all round. But the question you are asking had once been tackled by diodarves (or so). He had said then (in this same thread) that you could [sub][/sub]cast above all the raised foundation blocks (like a mini German floor) covered with dpm. Then when funds are available later, you can cast all the inner rooms, even when walls have been made.
I don't know if it's standard but he recommended that approach and it makes some sense to me.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by anochuks08(m): 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2019
bixton:

There's absolutely nothing you can do as long as there's no actual cave in of the concrete floor.
Except you choose to mark our the affected areas, break the concrete, refill with back filling material and cast again.
Thank you very much, I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2019
ceelog:

0.45mm you mean? If it's first aluminium, it's very much OK.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 9:41pm On Jan 14, 2019
Arnoldfish:
0.45mm you mean? If it's first aluminium, it's very much OK.

I meant 0.40mm. Seen it in one of the NL installers pricelist. I will look for it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:55pm On Jan 14, 2019
Plinth beam (chain casting at dpc level )

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:10pm On Jan 14, 2019
ceelog:

No.

You can use 0.45mm First Alum. though.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 12:15am On Jan 15, 2019
ceelog:

I meant 0.40mm. Seen it in one of the NL installers pricelist. I will look for it
Go for 0.45mm of First Aluminum not 0.40mm

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joycluv: 9:29am On Jan 15, 2019
Abdomox:
Hello house,

Please what's the current market price of 0.55mm and 0.45m of longspan.

Thanks.
. @Abdomox. How far? Have you got the aluminum sheets? Would also like to know about your wood work. You know my house is of the same dimension with yous. So plz I plead that you share the roofing details as soon as you can. Thanks in advance!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Abdomox: 11:36am On Jan 15, 2019
joycluv:
. @Abdomox. How far? Have you got the aluminum sheets? Would also like to know about your wood work. You know my house is of the same dimension with yous. So plz I plead that you share the roofing details as soon as you can. Thanks in advance!

I am done with wood work.

Send me mail on info@prodigiousfarms.com so I can share details.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by joycluv: 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2019
Abdomox:

I am done with wood work.

Send me mail on info@prodigiousfarms.com so I can share details.
. Ok. I will do that. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ayodijex(m): 1:11pm On Jan 15, 2019
please does anyone know any wood industry where saw dusts can be pressed together to give a solid board?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2019
ceelog:

good dey sir, 0.4 are not encouraging pls, the aluminum that u can used started from 0.45, and the prices are , 0.45 =1250, 0.55= 1300 for longspan, thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2019
bixton:
Plinth beam (chain casting at dpc level )
From the pictures I now understand you

I always associated plinth beams as those tied to individual footings and cast on natural ground. The foundation na no shaking even with earth settlement.

I didn't know reinforced concrete at dpc ws also called plinth.

Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 3:22pm On Jan 15, 2019
joycluv:
contact us for the covering of aluminum or jerad thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:05pm On Jan 15, 2019
ceelog:

From the pictures I now understand you

I always associated plinth beams as those tied to individual footings and cast on natural ground. The foundation na no shaking even with earth settlement.

I didn't know reinforced concrete at dpc ws also called plinth.

Thanks for the info

What you're referring to is called "grade or ground beam".

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FADEO: 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2019
I want know have an idea on the uses of used wood after decking or parapet. some are suggesting that I can sell it while others are suggesting that I can use same wood for the second decking. So apart from using it as firewood, is there any other benefits of used woods?

I read on a thread where Hajji Said if you use a plastic film. Does that mean Damp proof nylons?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:49pm On Jan 15, 2019
Benin, wey doh! i fear una ooo...
Roofing Wood Price
3x4 @2300each
2x6 @2200each
2x4 @1100each
2x3 @1000each
2x2 @650each

Concrete wood 1x12@2300each.

...am scared
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2019
Chekitaut:
Benin, wey doh! i fear una ooo...
Roofing Wood Price
3x4 @2300each
2x6 @2200each
2x4 @1100each
2x3 @1000each
2x2 @650each

Concrete wood 1x12@2300each.

...am scared

In Benin
What type of wood Bafia
Roofing Wood Price
3x4 @1700
2x4 @950
2x3 @850
2x2 @530
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:55pm On Jan 15, 2019
FADEO:
good morning my people. I have a question, How long after Decking is ideal to start the upper floor. Can the upper floor block work commence a day after the decking is casted. or I have to wait for the standard 28 days minimum? and what are the implication and advantage of either case.

7 days on condition, that all the support props (bamboo) are not removed and still firm.

If props are removed, 28days.

If props are partially removed,14 - 21 days.

I have seen people proceed to build on the 2nd day, i would have asked them to atleast wait til 3rd day.

Concrete with ordinary portland cement will set to about 35% of its final strenght in 3days, 70% in 7days and finally 100% in 28days.

At 3days, its risky business but at 7 days with an adequate design, its safe to proceed with caution (props still in place). At 7 days and with temporary supports in place, we can safely assume concrete has reached 100% strength since even the dead weight of the structural members is still being carried by temporary supports.

However, it also depends on the floor level of construction. Say you casted the 5th floor slab, the props are transmitting all the loading onto the 4th floor slab. Any additional loading on the 5 floor slab is carried by the 4th and you risk exceeding the design load for the 4th floor slab.

That is why a high rise building is best built as a frame structure before partition or other loading will commence after concrete has reached full strength.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:03pm On Jan 15, 2019
GoodFaith:

In Benin
What type of wood Bafia
Roofing Wood Price
3x4 @1700
2x4 @950
2x3 @850
2x2 @530
confirm recent price. i am afraid.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by elengine: 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2019
Good evening house. After I finished the wood carcass of my house last year September, I didn't have money to roof it immediately and it has been there as we speak. My question is, is there any risk at all given that the woods were exposed to sunlight from September to November before it stopped. If there is any risk, what can I do to salvage the situation before I cover it by month end. Cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 12:55am On Jan 16, 2019
elengine:
Good evening house. After I finished the wood carcass of my house last year September, I didn't have money to roof it immediately and it has been there as we speak. My question is, is there any risk at all given that the woods were exposed to sunlight from September to November before it stopped. If there is any risk, what can I do to salvage the situation before I cover it by month end. Cheers
we'll done sir, Almighty god will provides, according to ur question, nothing happened to ur carcass, if they used good wood for u, nothing happened to it, sir but u can get ur carpenter ready if they want to covered it, sir in case they want to change one or two woods out of it, if possible , sorry boss, I want to used this medium to tell u that we installe we supply of longspan and jerad for the best, 0.45=#1,200 0.55 =#1,500 to the sites, this is number to call,08135810794

(1) (2) (3) ... (1095) (1096) (1097) (1098) (1099) (1100) (1101) ... (3678) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.