Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,413 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2851) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4403266 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2848) (2849) (2850) (2851) (2852) (2853) (2854) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 3:26pm On Mar 22, 2022
erico2k2:

This was the reason I did a DIY building from plan to finish, I wanted to derv into the minds of Suppliers, builders, designers etc, waht I found was this, 2many variable in the building trade and not enough constants' seriously do not know how Engineers and contractors could give and estimate for a job they are going to do in two weeks, cos prices changes daily. If I was not doing all by myself I would have thought someone ate my money. My advice is please guys lets cut some slacks for builders and Engineers in the house. Sometimes the sublet the jobs to a worker and the worker do not give a damn about reputation and does a shoddy job, I have one as we speak, ordinary window dressing he made a big messs and wasted 3 bags of cement.

I totally agree with you on this. Let me narrate how they ended up using 180 bags of cement instead of 120 bags for my German floor.

The contractor hired some laborers on pay per bag agreement. #500 for mixers and #500 for servers per bag cement. He actually gave them the mixing ratio but because of greed they were literally doing stones and cement with just little of sand.
The contractor was only keeping account by counting numbers of empty bags and tallying it with the remainder in the storage.
At the end of the day, 180 empty bags were on the ground

So the laborers got #180k instead of #120k. That additional 60k was all they cared about.
I ‘lost’ 60 bags x 4K = 240k
Because contractor paid for labor, that was 60k of his money gone.
This is just one example of some things that happen with building.
Was I supposed to hold contractor responsible for inadequate supervision and ask for refund? I personally can’t do that.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 3:26pm On Mar 22, 2022
Still in stock Spanish

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:28pm On Mar 22, 2022
sonnie10:

I totally agree with you on this. Let narrate how they ended up using 180 bags of cement instead of 120 bags for my German floor.

The contractor hired some laborers on pay per bag agreement. #500 for mixers and #500 for servers per bag cement. He actually gave them the mixing ratio but because of greed the were literally doing stones and cement with just little of sand.
The contractor was only keeping account by counting numbers of empty bags and tallying it with the remainder in the storage.
At the end of the day, 180 empty bags were on the ground

So the laborers got #180k instead of #120k. That additional 60k was all they cared about.
I ‘lost’ 60 bags x 4K = 240k
Because contractor paid for labor, that was 60k of his money gone.
This is just one example of some things that happen with building.
lol we learn everyday, to this your problem I solved it with priced Labour, on my decking I had a guy charge for total labour and I provided materials.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 3:28pm On Mar 22, 2022
chimexdnice1:
Good day all. Please as a follow up to my inquiries on roof-top tank elevation, this is how I eventually did it. Thanks for all the advice.

Well done sir!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:29pm On Mar 22, 2022
I would be shopping for tiles in PH soon
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timberwolves(m): 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2022
kalu61:
I hope this helps.

It really does, thank you very much

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 3:51pm On Mar 22, 2022
hamtabfawaz:

This is True.. but it's pure wickedness on the part of the Artisans.

I don't think buying your materials is the solution, Be sure of their availability before contracting them. If possible make a written contract agreement & specify penalties for absconding with your money or unnecessarily delaying the job.

Which contract agreement is more solid than the one Nx3t presents.
It’s all about reputation.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 4:03pm On Mar 22, 2022
FEGEITOK:

@gbadexy

Thanks for recommending painters that can do a good job.

Do you have a website?

Just saying because I initially wanted to buy from President Paints. I conducted extensive searched online (Google not Nairaland) and their name came up. It helped that they had a solid online presence and a very active WhatsApp customer care line.

But the only issue was that they didn't have an office in Abuja and I would have to bear the cost of shipping the paints to Abuja.

My second reason for choosing the current paint is that I wanted a premium paint.

My third reason is that I wanted exotic colors, very deep reds and very black black if there is such a thing.

I would like you to make it very clear, are you a budget paint manufacturer or a premium paint manufacturer? We know that due to the mix for premium paints they last longer and look better, that must come at a cost.

The next question is how many years one can expect from the paint before needing repainting? Please provide this information here and also on your website.

I look forward to doing business with you in the future. I have not forgotten our earlier interaction, but I had already gone far with the current project to onboard you at this stage.

Sorry for the late response, life happened.

Additional Notes:

From my research, why I make a big issue of premium paints can be summarized below:

1. Better quality pigments

2. Finer pigment particles

3. More coverage per liter with less work

4. Fewer coats to get your desired color

5. Longer lasting (up to twice as long)

6. Contains thickening additives meaning a more even coat

7. Can hide wall imperfections better due to a higher concentration of resin and a smaller concentration of VOC

8. More more spent on premium quality paints means more more spent on higher quality pigments, resins and solvents = better adhesion, better hiding capacity, spatter resistance, flow and leveling, touch-up capability, stain/scrub resistance, fade resistance

9. Reduced toxicity

What they don't tell you is that if you use a premium paint, you should also use premium paint brushes and rollers. The kind of brushes you can find at the likes of Shoprite and The Game.

All told, I think you get value paying more for higher quality paint.

There may be some repeats in the listed points, I hope I can be excused for the same.

I don't have a website. I haven't gotten around to doing it but I will have it done soonest.
I give prices for budget and premium grade. I do budget, mid range and premium grades. They are basically increasing the quantity of materials.
Premium emulsion upwards from matte, satin, silk, weathershield etc last 5 years upwards before needing repainting.
Water based paints generally have very low volatile organic content. It's the oil based paints that use solvents that have high VOC due to the volatile solvents used.
Using right colors determine durability also and I advise clients ideal external colors to use. Colors made with organic pigments won't last outside and would fade off irrespective of the quality. You would notice plastic tap handle or some brightly colored plastic fade off when exposed to sunlight for long.
I have very effective Whatsapp customer care presence also.
I hope I'm able to address most of your questions. I'm typing in between chores.
I will update later.
Modified;
All colors can be produced.
Premium simply means the highest possible grade for that range of product and that means it would perform better than the lower grade.
Premium grades offers better coverage, opacity, spread, binding power and consequently more durability. They can last almost as twice or longer than the standard grade.
There is a reason companies that sell budget grade paints in the market sell in the range of N8000 here in lagos and the big names sell same emulsion from N16000 for the same quantity of emulsion.
As regards toxicity, there are actually cheap preservative sold in Nigeria such as formaldehyde that are strongly suspected to be carcinogens. I don't use them because I know the health implication.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:53pm On Mar 22, 2022
chimexdnice1:
Good day all. Please as a follow up to my inquiries on roof-top tank elevation, this is how I eventually did it. Thanks for all the advice.

The tiles go support the weight of the tanks so?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 4:56pm On Mar 22, 2022
These kitchen appliances are quite on the high side.

These are Bosch kitchen appliances (Extractor hood, 4 burner gas hob, oven) ~ 750k

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 5:00pm On Mar 22, 2022
PrimeQuay:
These kitchen appliances are quite on the high side.

These are Bosch kitchen appliances (Extractor hood, 4 burner gas hob, oven) ~ 750k

Research it, you are paying for quality.

All those cheap brands will rust in +/- 10 years.

I think Bosch uses stainless steel and never rusts.

I also believe you can actually hand it over to your children if they want due to the build quality.

Ignore the price.

Quality never comes cheap

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chimexdnice1(m): 5:10pm On Mar 22, 2022
I believe it will. because the blocks were filled with cement. Also the spaces inbtw was filled with sand and plastered altogether, before doing the tiles. Am thinking of placing hard wood on it before putting the tank, but my plumber said no need for that. Also am using a medium sized tank.

diordaves:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abuiltech(m): 5:14pm On Mar 22, 2022
diordaves:

I think is just to complement the waterproofing, if I'm not mistaking,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sconp: 5:24pm On Mar 22, 2022
chimexdnice1:

Edit: Just saw your response.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:31pm On Mar 22, 2022
I recently commissioned the installation of pre-paid meters in a number of buildings in Warri environ including a mini estate. The estate comprises one bungalow for personal use and 8 other flats for rental. The other buildings are flats and shops here and there all in Warri.

My Manager reported back to me that the metering company responsible for Warri provides two types of pre-paid meters:

One that will be hung on the electric pole outside (see photos). This goes for 45k. To me this is messy and crude, but I've been told that this is the trend in the country now to avoid criminal by-pass. My tenants are even agitating for this; that the unit electricity price is cheaper (how?). So the tenents will get this. But I cant's have this mess in my personal building.

The othe type is the traditional one where you have the pre-paid meter at home. This I'm used to. Neat and not messy and crude. This will set me back 120k. I don't mind but the electricity provider is saying that only ONE allocation per name and address. So for the mini estate I could only have ONE pre-paid meter and probably shere with the rest of the tenants. That if I want every occupant of the estate to have separate pre-paid meter, I will have to go for the messy one hung on a pole. This is not going to happen, not even in a million years. Or I should register with different names/ address to get more at home pre-paid meter. I'm not going to do this. I've sent back my manager to the company.

What are your experiences in your location. Please share.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:34pm On Mar 22, 2022
chimexdnice1:
I believe it will. because the blocks were filled with cement. Also the spaces inbtw was filled with sand and plastered altogether, before doing the tiles. Am thinking of placing hard wood on it before putting the tank, but my plumber said no need for that. Also am using a medium sized tank.

If that's the case, no need for wood. Nice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrimeQuay: 5:39pm On Mar 22, 2022
I was in ikeja and I decided to window shop.

You are right, Their products are top of the line better suited for your own home or if the client has the budget.

The price is hard to ignore oo.

I’m researching this space, I’m sure there will be mid-range more affordable options.

This built in cookers/microwave/oven are slowly getting prominence.

FEGEITOK:

Research it, you are paying for quality.

All those cheap brands will rust in +/- 10 years.

I think Bosch uses stainless steel and never rusts.

I also believe you can actually hand it over to your children if they want due to the build quality.

Ignore the price.

Quality never comes cheap
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2022
hamtabfawaz:

Chai... Sorry about your Pop experience.

I think the Majority of the Problem for the second bolded is because most artisans/workers/contractors receive more jobs than they can handle: FOR example = An artisan/contractor getting 2/3 or even 4 jobs within the same time / closer time frame and not knowing, how to effectively manage it. What he/she does is to collect money from all 4 clients, & promise all the 4 client ,to start work by Monday which is impossible. So He decides to start client A work first because his pay is higher, he would then give client B , C & D excuses until client A works enters week 2, he would leave client A job & start doing client B work for three days & then jump to client C work, then client A would be complaining about his uncompleted job, while client B would be complaining about how he abandoned his job & Client C would be complaining about how it took so long for him to start his work & client D would be complaining about being defrauded, the Artisan would eventually have to return client D's money (which he might only return 80% because he already spent 20% from it). A worker collecting 90% of his money before the start of a project, does not stop him/her from being responsible, Negligence of duty & irresponsibility is a choice (A bad one at that). it falls on the individual.

Why these Artisans/contractors/workers behave in this manner? it's because of greediness caused by poverty (while some are not caused by poverty, they're just naturally greedy & irresponsible).

Their Mentality (for behaving that way) is: i don't want to lose any of these potential jobs by prospective client, So the only way to keep this jobs, is to collect money from all the client, so they won't give the job to another Person.

The result of such behaviour: They'd end up losing all the jobs & clients.

The Solution Artisans/Contractors/Project Managers/WorkMen should not take more than they can handle. it's not bad to say “Please Sir, I have a project at the moment, I would not be available to start a new one until two weeks, if you're not in a hurry, I would be available in two weeks, but if otherwise, you can contract to someone else, am available if you have any questions, Thank you” you can have pending jobs, so inform potential new clients about it. Be truthful about your availability & Time frame.
On clients part: Please always try to ask workers about their availability for your job, don't be in a hurry to start, it's not bad to ask whoever you're contracting if he/she has job at the moment or pending jobs. Be sure about their availability.

My own Approach I attend to my clients on a first come first serve (FCFS) basis. And usually Truthful about my availability, if there is a change in time, I quickly notify my clients about it.
I learnt this from past experience (things I witnessed from others) & Am still Learning as it help one grows, I Learn & Apply.

Nota Bene: My comments / long epistle is about “Workers not doing clients job at the right time -client chasing workers to do a job they've been payed for! - Workers absconding with Client's money - workers delaying client's job for days/weeks before starting after receiving payment without any reasonable excuse!.” My comments are not directed to a particular person, directly or indirectly. My comments is addressing a general issue , directed to all clients & all of us: Artisans/Contractors/CraftsMen/Engineers/Operations Managers/ Project Managers/Vendors/WorkMen.

We all make mistakes & no one is ever Perfect, but the ability to learn from mistakes & grow from it makes one Unique.. ✓✓✓
You have said it all.

To add to it, I will encourage every Contractor/Project manager/Engineer/Artisan as the case maybe to build a team of trusted workers as you move from place to place. From the good, bad and ugly you screen the better ones especially experience fellows who understands you, know how you work and what you want from a particular job.

Over time you have people even calling you for available jobs to do. With proper management you can execute many projects as long as you are not too greedy to want to have all the profits.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kingdemu: 5:50pm On Mar 22, 2022
diordaves:
I recently commissioned the installation of pre-paid meters in a number of buildings in Warri environ including a mini estate. The estate comprises one bungalow for personal use and 8 other flats for rental. The other buildings are flats and shops here and there all in Warri.

My Manager reported back to me that the metering company responsible for Warri provides two types of pre-paid meters:

One that will be hung on the electric pole outside (see photos). This goes for 45k. To me this is messy and crude, but I've been told that this is the trend in the country now to avoid criminal by-pass. My tenants are even agitating for this; that the unit electricity price is cheaper (how?). So the tenents will get this. But I cant's have this mess in my personal building.

The othe type is the traditional one where you have the pre-paid meter at home. This I'm used to. Neat and not messy and crude. This will set me back 120k. I don't mind but the electricity provider is saying that only ONE allocation per name and address. So for the mini estate I could only have ONE pre-paid meter and probably shere with the rest of the tenants. That if I want every occupant of the estate to have separate pre-paid meter, I will have to go for the messy one hung on a pole. This is not going to happen, not even in a million years. Or I should register with different names/ address to get more at home pre-paid meter. I'm not going to do this. I've sent back my manager to the company.

What are your experiences in your location. Please share.
Do you pls have the picture of the prepaid meter you said is kept at home and not hung outside? I only know of the meters hung on a pole that comes with a portable device that communicates with it with which you can recharge and check your balance.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 6:13pm On Mar 22, 2022
I had 2 meters installed in the same address sometimes in 2015. they're both in my name(flat A and B)…Abeokuta
I have another build with 5 apartments somewhere else around abk. Sometimes last year, my caretaker contacted me about an ongoing mass metering program. It was free of charge for houses/apartments that are already registered under ibedc. I only registered 1 of those apartments. so, they were sharing just 1 bill(15K), and I was entitled to just 1 meter. The ibedc guys declined to install the meter, they suggested that we register the remaining 4 apartments, so that each apartment would receive its own meter. I was convinced by the caretaker and the tenants not to proceed (they said na setup), because the meter would probably not be installed(not enough to go round), and each of the apartment will now be paying the estimated monthly bill of 15k(now 23k). The community enjoys about 20 hours of electricity.
Note: the meters are not the ones hung outside.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:21pm On Mar 22, 2022
Kingdemu:
Do you pls have the picture of the prepaid meter you said is kept at home and not hung outside? I only know of the meters hung on a pole that comes with a portable device that communicates with it with which you can recharge and check your balance.

I wasn't sent that picture. I was sent the hung ones because I was having a hard time believing. I will ask for the photo and update when I have it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:15pm On Mar 22, 2022
MrOkenwa:
I had 2 meters installed in the same address sometimes in 2015. they're both in my name(flat A and B)…Abeokuta
I have another build with 5 apartments somewhere else around abk. Sometimes last year, my caretaker contacted me about an ongoing mass metering program. It was free of charge for houses/apartments that are already registered under ibedc. I only registered 1 of those apartments. so, they were sharing just 1 bill(15K), and I was entitled to just 1 meter. The ibedc guys declined to install the meter, they suggested that we register the remaining 4 apartments, so that each apartment would receive its own meter. I was convinced by the caretaker and the tenants not to proceed (they said na setup), because the meter would probably not be installed(not enough to go round), and each of the apartment will now be paying the estimated monthly bill of 15k(now 23k). The community enjoys about 20 hours of electricity.
Note: the meters are not the ones hung outside.
How will they pay an estimated bill when it is prepaid?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:00pm On Mar 22, 2022
gbadexy:

I don't have a website. I haven't gotten around to doing it but I will have it done soonest.
I give prices for budget and premium grade. I do budget, mid range and premium grades. They are basically increasing the quantity of materials.
Premium emulsion upwards from matte, satin, silk, weathershield etc last 5 years upwards before needing repainting.
Water based paints generally have very low volatile organic content. It's the oil based paints that use solvents that have high VOC due to the volatile solvents used.
Using right colors determine durability also and I advise clients ideal external colors to use. Colors made with organic pigments won't last outside and would fade off irrespective of the quality. You would notice plastic tap handle or some brightly colored plastic fade off when exposed to sunlight for long.
I have very effective Whatsapp customer care presence also.
I hope I'm able to address most of your questions. I'm typing in between chores.
I will update later.
Modified;
All colors can be produced.
Premium simply means the highest possible grade for that range of product and that means it would perform better than the lower grade.
Premium grades offers better coverage, opacity, spread, binding power and consequently more durability. They can last almost as twice or longer than the standard grade.
There is a reason companies that sell budget grade paints in the market sell in the range of N8000 here in lagos and the big names sell same emulsion from N16000 for the same quantity of emulsion.
As regards toxicity, there are actually cheap preservative sold in Nigeria such as formaldehyde that are strongly suspected to be carcinogens. I don't use them because I know the health implication.

Let us build you a website befitting of your services.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:02pm On Mar 22, 2022
somehow:

Let us build you a website befitting of your services.
I could do that next week. I got talking to one developer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:04pm On Mar 22, 2022
erico2k2:

How will they pay an estimated bill when it is prepaid?

Once you apply for it, they won't bring it but automatically moves you to estimated billing for the time being.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:05pm On Mar 22, 2022
gbadexy:

I could do that next week. I got talking to one developer.

Alright. Would have asked my team to get you something worth it's salt.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:15pm On Mar 22, 2022
diordaves:

Same question come to my mind
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 10:27pm On Mar 22, 2022
Chikebrain:
To workmen who does railings in the house, what's the cost per metre for frameless Glass rails?
Frameless glass with tampered
Per square metre

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:33pm On Mar 22, 2022
somehow:

Once you apply for it, they won't bring it but automatically moves you to estimated billing for the time being.
ok but its free at my End in PH, why do you guys have to pay?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:49pm On Mar 22, 2022
somehow:

The question is how long? I'm one of the lucky one, average estimated bill in my Ikorodu { 3 } 2 bedroom apartment is 8k per apartment per month. 21 hours light par day. Aboru not bad as well with pre pay meter, went through hell before secured the pre pay. Is so crazy you wont believe my friend paying 15k-18k pay month for his 4 bedroom duplex epileptic power supply in Okota, Its even worst with another friend in Festac town average crazy bill per month is 20k for darkness
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:46pm On Mar 22, 2022
erico2k2:

ok but its free at my End in PH, why do you guys have to pay?

That's the theory- Free. But they keep telling you no meter and keep on slamming you with outrageous estimated bills. It's the estimated bills that will now force you to pay for allocation. So have you been allocated one for free? How did it go?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:48pm On Mar 22, 2022
diordaves:

That's the theory- Free. But they keep telling you no meter and keep on slamming you with outrageous estimated bills. It's the estimated bills that will now force you to pay for allocation. So have you been allocated one for free? How did it go?
I already have 5 prepaid meters installed, they came with it one Saturday morning to fix, I did not even apply for one.
For my New house I will see how that one plays out

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2848) (2849) (2850) (2851) (2852) (2853) (2854) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m), kkonsults and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.