Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,379 members, 7,850,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:43 PM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17383 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:06am On Jan 25, 2012
[color=#990000 When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord does not work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. ][/color]
Emo Phillips
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by chrisj2000(m): 2:30am On Jan 25, 2012
time changes everything
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by chrisj2000(m): 2:33am On Jan 25, 2012
everything changes with time
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Purist(m): 5:56pm On May 27, 2012
Praying is hilarious.
Surely, [God] knows what you want already?
"I just want to hear you say it! Beg!
That's better. I'll think about it."

- Ricky Gervais
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeepSight(m): 12:07am On May 28, 2012
Purist: Praying is hilarious.
Surely, [God] knows what you want already?
"I just want to hear you say it! Beg!
That's better. I'll think about it."

- Ricky Gervais

If the said Ricky Gervais thinks that prayer is about begging, then he would have to be a most shallow excuse for a being gifted with human sentience.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Purist(m): 1:27am On May 28, 2012
^^ That was not his point.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeepSight(m): 3:59pm On May 28, 2012
^^^ Oh yes it was. Or else he has a hopelessly shallow conception of the word "prayer."
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Purist(m): 9:58pm On May 28, 2012
^^ Again, that was NOT his point.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Purist(m): 7:38pm On Jun 09, 2012
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means."

- George Bernard Shaw
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Purist(m): 4:37pm On Jun 16, 2012
There is a growing trend in this country that needs to be called out, and that is to label any evidence-based belief a "religion." Many conservatives now say that a belief in man-made climate change is a "religion," and Darwinism is a "religion," and of course atheism -- the total lack of religion -- is somehow a "religion" too, according to the always reliable Encyclopedia Moronica. grin

- Bill Maher
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 4:00am On Feb 11, 2013
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”

― Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by wiegraf: 4:49am On Feb 11, 2013
This is from a book I've been reading...So not quotes from a real life atheist, but they will do, I think...

SPOILERS, IF YOU INTEND TO READ FIRST LAW FROM ABERCOMBRIE, IGNORE THIS POST

Convo for context,

"He slapped a hand down on Temple’s shoulder and Temple twitched, heard a squeal and turned just in time to see an old woman kicked from the precipice.
‘Oh God.’
‘Exactly what I mean!’ Cosca slapped him on the shoulder again. ‘But if there is a God, why in all these years has He not raised a hand to stop me?’
‘Perhaps we are His hand,’ rumbled Jubair, who had stepped from a doorway wiping blood from his sword with a cloth. ‘His ways are mysterious.’
Cosca snorted. ‘A whor3 with a veil is mysterious. God’s ways appear to be . . . insane.’"

In the context of the post about prayer above..

"‘Prayer is arrogance,’ intoned Jubair. ‘The hope of man to change the will of God. But God’s plan is set and His words already spoken.’"

"Ashjid stood in the midst, eyes bulging with fervour, sinewy arms stretched up to the pouring heavens, the Fellowship’s idiot kneeling at his feet, the whole like a sculpture of some martyred Prophet. ‘There is no running from the sky!’ he was shrieking, finger outstretched. ‘There is no hiding from God! God is always watching!’
It seemed to Temple he was that most dangerous kind of priest – one who really believes. ‘Have you ever noticed that God is wonderful at watching,’ he called, ‘but quite poor when it comes to helping out?’"

Note, Ashjid was the only one that died in that scene. Not sure why god chose to kill only him, the only believer present no less..

Jubair solemnly nodded. ‘He is a terrible and a merciless God and all things must bend to His design.

PS: this Jubair guy was awesome throughout the book, dispatching god's will relish

If there was a God, the world seemed exactly the way it would be if there wasn’t one.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 8:39am On Apr 29, 2013
hmmm... how did I miss this thread?

We should include some from the atheists here... I'll be back.. surely... grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Soloblincus(m): 11:35am On May 05, 2013
Purist: God:
"You shall not eat from it or touch it, or you shall surely die."

Serpent:
“You surely will not die! For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Adam:
“The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”

Eve:
“The serpent beguiled me, and I ate.”

Afterwards, God:
“Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil."

Of four actors in this scene, only one lie was told. . .
blood of jesus!!!
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by ooman(m): 11:47am On May 05, 2013
^^^actually, only one truth was told and that was by the Great Serpent, maker of Heaven and earth, My creator and Savior

1 Like

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by ooman(m): 6:29pm On May 05, 2013
The ignorant base the evidence of their god on their ignorance

Ooman

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Prayer Wonders With Milk And Honey. (praying With Material Formula) / Hell Exists Because God Loves You / Mike Bamiloye Shares Story On His 33rd Marital Engagement Anniversary (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.