Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,188 members, 7,856,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 06:39 AM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17400 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:44am On Apr 14, 2009
We have seen that living things are too improbable and too beautifully ‘designed’ to have come into existence by chance.”

-- Richard Dawkins
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32pm On Apr 14, 2009
At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes … will no doubt be exterminated. The break will then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the gorilla.” -- Charles Darwin  shocked shocked shocked

-- In The Descent of Man, 2nd ed., New York; A. L. Burt Co., 1874, p. 178,

Is this the ideology that atheists and evolutionists subscribe to?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:54pm On Apr 14, 2009
No rational man, cognizant of the facts, believes that the average negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the white man. And if this be true, it is simply incredible that, when all his disabilities are removed, and our prognathous relative has a fair field and no favor, as well as no oppressor, he will be able to compete successfully with his bigger-brained and smaller-jawed rival, in a contest which is to be carried on by thoughts and not by bites.” -- Thomas Huxley shocked shocked shocked shocked

-- Thomas Huxley wrote in his Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews, New York: Appleton, 1871 p. 20:

Is this the same philosophy of our resident evolutionists such as Huxley and KAG?   lipsrsealed
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:05pm On Apr 15, 2009
The Negroid stock is even more ancient than the Caucasian and Mongolians, as may be proved by an examination not only of the brain, of the hair, of the bodily characteristics , but of the instincts, the intelligence. The standard of intelligence of the average adult Negro is similar to that of the eleven-year-old-youth of the species Homo sapiens.” -- Henry Fairfield Osborn   shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Henry Fairfield Osborn was a disciple of Thomas Huxley. He would eventually become the President of the American Museum of Natural History’s Board of Trustees from 1908 to 1933. He would continue to strongly promote the evolutionary theories and the racism of his mentor.  In an article in the Museum’s own magazine, ("The Evolution of Human Races," Natural History, April 1980, p. 129--reprinted from January/February 1926 issue)

Like father like son, see how the disciples of Darwin think. sad
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:25am On Apr 16, 2009
It is generally admitted that with women the powers of intuition, of rapid perception, and perhaps of imitation, are more strongly marked than in man; but some, at least, of these faculties are characteristic of the lower races, and therefore of a past and lower state of civilization. The chief distinction in the intellectual powers of the two sexes is shown by man attaining to a higher eminence, in whatever he takes up, than woman can attain—whether requiring deep thought, reason, or imagination, or merely the use of the senses and hands.” -- Charles Darwin

On his views in favour of and in justification of his chauvinistic sexism.  In The Descent of Man, 2nd ed., New York; A. L. Burt Co., 1874, p. 326.

Do evolutionists that are women or females know about this thought or ideology of their hero that they are now celebrating today? lipsrsealed
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:30pm On Apr 17, 2009
“In North America the black bear was seen by Hearne swimming for hours with widely opened mouth, thus catching, like a whale, insects in the water. Even in so extreme a case as this, if the supply of insects were constant, and if better adapted competitors did not already exist in the country, I can see no difficulty in a race of bears being rendered, by natural selection, more and more aquatic in their structure and habits, with larger and larger mouths, till a creature was produced as monstrous as a whale.” -- Charles Darwin  

From Charles Darwin’s own writings in an early edition of The Origin of Species,1859, p. 184.

To think that this is the kind of bad science that evolutionists wants us to accept as faith is amazing.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 6:55pm On Apr 17, 2009
The first requisite of the happiness of the people is the abolition of religion

-Karl Marx
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2009
Religion is against women's rights and freedom. In all societies women are oppressed by all religions.

-Taslima Nasrin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:01pm On Apr 17, 2009
The sailor dose not pray for wind, he learns to sail.

-Gustaf Lindborg
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:03pm On Apr 17, 2009
Every man thinks that god is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is.

-Jean Anouilh
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:06pm On Apr 17, 2009
Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strengh in numbers

-Jesse Ventura
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:39am On Apr 18, 2009
In his essay “Lights of the Church and Science,” Huxley stated,

"I am fairly at a loss to comprehend how anyone, for a moment, can doubt that Christian theology must stand or fall with the historical trustworthiness of the Jewish Scriptures. The very conception of the Messiah, or Christ, is inextricably interwoven with Jewish history; the identification of Jesus of Nazareth with that Messiah rests upon the interpretation of the passages of the Hebrew Scriptures which have no evidential value unless they possess the historical character assigned to them. If the covenant with Abraham was not made; if circumcision and sacrifices were not ordained by Jahveh; if the ‘ten words’ were not written by God’s hand on the stone tables; if Abraham is more or less a mythical hero, such as Theseus; the Story of the Deluge a fiction; that of the Fall a legend; and that of the Creation the dream of a seer; if all these definite and detailed narratives of apparently real events have no more value as history than have the stories of the regal period of Rome—what is to be said about the Messianic doctrine, which is so much less clearly enunciated: And what about the authority of the writers of the books of the New Testament, who, on this theory, have not merely accepted flimsy fictions for solid truths, but have built the very foundations of Christian dogma upon legendary quicksands?" -- Thomas Huxley

T. Huxley, Science and Hebrew Tradition, D. Appleton and Company. New York, 1897, pg. 207.

Huxley put the theist evolutionists, gap theorists etc to shame by making the point that if we are to believe the New Testament doctrines, we must believe the historical account of Genesis as historical truth.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 10:23am On Apr 18, 2009
this man. what are u doing here bombarding the whole thread with insignificant quotes? this thread is for "greatest atheist quotes" not for "my favourite quotes" you gat it? so u better quit.

if we are to believe the New Testament doctrines, we must believe the historical account of Genesis as historical truth
who believes the new testament anyway? i think u and ur fellow fundamentalists are the ones who do, ,,,,,not us wink wink
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:31pm On Apr 18, 2009
Ascony:

this man. what are u doing here bombarding the whole thread with insignificant quotes? this thread is for "greatest atheist quotes" not for "my favourite quotes" you gat it? so u better quit.
who believes the new testament anyway? i think u and ur fellow fundamentalists are the ones who do, ,,,,,not us wink wink

You would rather wish that I stop quoting the embarrasing sayings of your heroes of faith. tongue or are they (Darwin, Huxley, Dawkins) no longer atheists? Are you still proud of their male chauvinistic, sexist and racist thoughts justified by evolutionary theory? Are their quotes insignificant or you are still burying your heads in the quicksands hoping that this reality would go away? in your dreams. I knew that you shot yourself in the foot when you opened this thread because the quotes of these 'great atheists' would come back to bite you. Huxley was still better than the compromising Christian who was making an attempt to deny the historical facts of the book of Genesis as allegorical and myths. If I where you I will sit back and put to practice what you adviced in the opening thread to learn from these quotes of the so called greatest atheists. wink
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38pm On Apr 18, 2009
Huxley was definitely out to destroy the truth of the biblical record. When people rejected the Bible, he was happy. But when they tried to harmonize evolutionary ideas with the Bible and reinterpret it, he vigorously attacked this position.

"I confess I soon lose my way when I try to follow those who walk delicately among “types” and allegories. A certain passion for clearness forces me to ask, bluntly, whether the writer means to say that Jesus did not believe the stories in question or that he did? When Jesus spoke, as a matter of fact, that “the Flood came and destroyed them all,” did he believe that the Deluge really took place, or not? It seems to me that, as the narrative mentions Noah’s wife, and his sons’ wives, there is good scriptural warranty for the statement that the antediluvians married and were given in marriage: and I should have thought that their eating and drinking might be assumed by the firmest believer in the literal truth of the story. Moreover, I venture to ask what sort of value, as an illustration of God’s methods of dealing with sin, has an account of an event that never happened? If no Flood swept the careless people away, how is the warning of more worth than the cry of ‘Wolf ’ when there is no wolf?" -- Thomas Huxley
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Thor(m): 2:46pm On Apr 18, 2009
I think this is one of the most truthful and exact quotes:

[1856-1950] Irish-born English playwright

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means."
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:47pm On Apr 18, 2009
Huxley surely the gave compromisers a lesson on New Testament theology.  He quoted Matthew 19:4–5: which says And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning “made them male and female,” and said, For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh”?

If divine authority is not here claimed for the twenty-fourth verse of the second chapter of Genesis, what is the value of language? And again, I ask, if one may play fast and loose with the story of the Fall as a ‘type’ or ‘allegory,’ what becomes of the foundation of Pauline theology?” -- Thomas Huxley
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 6:03pm On Apr 18, 2009
You would rather wish that I stop quoting the embarrasing sayings of your heroes of faith. or are they (Darwin, Huxley, Dawkins) no longer atheists? Are you still proud of their male chauvinistic, sexist and racist thoughts justified by evolutionary theory? Are their quotes insignificant or you are still burying your heads in the quicksands hoping that this reality would go away? in your dreams. I knew that you shot yourself in the foot when you opened this thread because the quotes of these 'great atheists' would come back to bite you. Huxley was still better than the compromising Christian who was making an attempt to deny the historical facts of the book of Genesis as allegorical and myths. If I where you I will sit back and put to practice what you adviced in the opening thread to learn from these quotes of the so called greatest atheists

honestly man, the truth is that ur quotes are incomprehensible to me, i dont even understand a thing in all ur quotes, besides i dont know where u got them from. if there were any justice in this forum, u shud knw that u shouldnt be posting those stuffs here with any intention u may have in mind, because if i start posting the bizzare sayings and speeches of so many religious ppl, na u go run. like i said, this thread is for greatest atheist quotes, it was meant for atheists to post their favourite atheists quotes and for u guys and us to review them, if u want u can s tart a thread for "the most bizzare atheist quotes" separately, and then we all can review them if we so wish. so quit poking around.

moreover, if u must post anything as u wish, why not make it short and simple so that it will be easier to comprehend, now check this out.

"Atheism encourages freedom of thought and inquiry, while religion by its very nature has to encourage unquestioning obedience and blind faith in doctrines."

If one asks followers of one particular god why they do not believe in a different one, you will usually find that they argue much like atheists, citing the lack of evidence or reasons for belief. The difference is that they apply the rule only selectively, to rule out all other gods, except their own preferred one, although there is no empirical difference between them.

see what i mean smiley smiley
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06am On Apr 20, 2009
Ascony:

moreover, if u must post anything as u wish, why not make it short and simple so that it will be easier to comprehend, now check this out.

Are you saying that the "Greatest Atheists" quote I gave below are not comprehensible?  How do you read?  I even gave you the full references of their letters and books for you to check up on, they may be bizarre to me but I expect them to be the favourites of all of you now celebrating 150 years of Darwinism, hence I quoted their views on their thoughts on racism, male chauvinistic sexism and the kind of bad science they practiced and justified by evolutionary theory that you believe.  You should be celebrating for these kind of quotes and etch them in gold. tongue

We have seen that living things are too improbable and too beautifully ‘designed’ to have come into existence by chance.”

-- Richard Dawkins

At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace throughout the world the savage races. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes … will no doubt be exterminated. The break will then be rendered wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as at present between the negro or Australian and the gorilla.” -- Charles Darwin  shocked shocked shocked

-- In The Descent of Man, 2nd ed., New York; A. L. Burt Co., 1874, p. 178,

No rational man, cognizant of the facts, believes that the average negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the white man. And if this be true, it is simply incredible that, when all his disabilities are removed, and our prognathous relative has a fair field and no favor, as well as no oppressor, he will be able to compete successfully with his bigger-brained and smaller-jawed rival, in a contest which is to be carried on by thoughts and not by bites.” -- Thomas Huxley

-- Thomas Huxley wrote in his Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews, New York: Appleton, 1871 p. 20:

The Negroid stock is even more ancient than the Caucasian and Mongolians, as may be proved by an examination not only of the brain, of the hair, of the bodily characteristics , but of the instincts, the intelligence. The standard of intelligence of the average adult Negro is similar to that of the eleven-year-old-youth of the species Homo sapiens.” -- Henry Fairfield Osborn  

("The Evolution of Human Races," Natural History, April 1980, p. 129--reprinted from January/February 1926 issue)   

It is generally admitted that with women the powers of intuition, of rapid perception, and perhaps of imitation, are more strongly marked than in man; but some, at least, of these faculties are characteristic of the lower races, and therefore of a past and lower state of civilization. The chief distinction in the intellectual powers of the two sexes is shown by man attaining to a higher eminence, in whatever he takes up, than woman can attain—whether requiring deep thought, reason, or imagination, or merely the use of the senses and hands.” -- Charles Darwin

On his views in favour of and in justification of his chauvinistic sexism.  In The Descent of Man, 2nd ed., New York; A. L. Burt Co., 1874, p. 326.

“In North America the black bear was seen by Hearne swimming for hours with widely opened mouth, thus catching, like a whale, insects in the water. Even in so extreme a case as this, if the supply of insects were constant, and if better adapted competitors did not already exist in the country, I can see no difficulty in a race of bears being rendered, by natural selection, more and more aquatic in their structure and habits, with larger and larger mouths, till a creature was produced as monstrous as a whale.” -- Charles Darwin   

From Charles Darwin’s own writings in an early edition of The Origin of Species,1859, p. 184.

If you are still pretending not to understand these "Greatest quotes" of your heroes try checking them up through the references supplied you might learn a thing or two from your so called heroes of faith. tongue
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:04pm On Apr 22, 2009
"Atheism is so senseless." -- Isaac Newton
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Apr 22, 2009
We admit that we are like apes, but we seldom realise that we are apes . . . In truth, not only are we apes, we are African apes. -- Richard Dawkins

"In Gaps in the Mind"
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:17pm On Apr 22, 2009
"It would be very difficult to explain why the universe should have begun in just this way, except as the act of a God who intended to create beings like us." -- Stephen Hawking
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 5:23pm On Apr 22, 2009

-- Richard Dawkins

so dawkins now believe in God abi? or what are u trying to prove?

If you are still pretending not to understand these "Greatest quotes" of your heroes try checking them up through the references supplied you might learn a thing or two from your so called heroes of faith.

heroes of faith? what faith?
what u dont understand is that we are not like u guys, atheism is not a religion or an organisaton. atheism is a peronal thing. and atheists do not have a unified system of belief. the only thing we have in common is that we disbelief in the existence of a God, a first cause or a creator. simple. any other thing attached is the individuals cup of tea. i dont need to agree with every atheist or whatever views they might have. and i dont need to study every book written by every atheist and definitely i dont need to know every of them.(who the hell is stephen hawkings, thomas huxley, am just hearing those names for the first time)

like i will always say,i created this thread to expose all those quotes that i find to be inspiring, and i have done just that, whether u choose to be inspired by them or not is non of my biz cos am pretty sure that someone somewhere must have been inspired by them,

u can continue posting all our "bizarre athiest quotes" .
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Lady2(f): 5:50pm On Apr 22, 2009
99 percent of the athiest here were former christians and that is the only religion they understand. they are only showing how irrational it is to accept the beliefs they were forced to believe since when they were kids. . . . .

forced to believe?
hmm what say u about atheists who become christians were they forced then? or did they loose rationality? were they sane one minute and insane the other?
did it ever occur to you that faith is rational, and that your disdain of faith is irrational?

no seriously i am asking questions, not to come at u the wrong way but to dialogue. so try and answer in a respectful manner.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2009
"Why there almost certainly is no God"  -- Richard Dawkins   lipsrsealed undecided embarassed
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:30pm On Apr 22, 2009
@OLAADEGBU
why can't u leave this topic alone? Your not a bleeping atheist so pls stick to your own religious topics.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 4:06pm On Apr 24, 2009
"He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 8:06pm On Apr 24, 2009
This would be the best of all possible worlds if there was no religion in it

-John Adams
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 8:12pm On Apr 24, 2009
Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise

-James Madison
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 8:17pm On Apr 24, 2009
All religions are pieced together out of elements that seems so at odds with reason that any intelligent person laughs at them.

-Pierre Charron
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by toneyb: 5:56pm On May 08, 2009
"Science adjust it's views based on what is observed. Faith is the denial of observation, so that beliefs can be preserved."

- Ron Ashley
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by jagunlabi(m): 6:14pm On May 08, 2009
Such a lovely and true quote.My fav. smiley
mazaje:

"He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all."[/size]

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Stephanie Otobo Drags Apostle Suleiman To Canadian Court (photos) / Gunmen Attacked cardinal John Onaiyekan In Edo / A Woman Looks For God In Her Husband. And This Is How God Wants It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.