Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (785971 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 20, 2015
AlbertEinstein:
Hello house. Please I need your help. I applied for an F-1 VISA (Abuja on my ds-160). But selected Lagos for interview and am already scheduled for interview on 12th Jan in Lagos.
I would like to know whether i can reschedule to Abuja or I'll have to fill another ds-160 form and pay another fee.
I also want to get an expedited appointment as am supposed to be in d US by 7th Jan. Thank you
Why can't you just follow simple due process than complicate issues for yourself.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by IIZER29: 3:01pm On Dec 20, 2015
profojah:

BANK STOP THE USE OF ATM CARDS ABROAD
Deposit Money Banks have commenced a process to stop all customers from using their payment cards, popularly known as Automated Teller Machine cards, for dollar-denominated transactions when they travel abroad with effect from January 1, 2016.

SUNDAY PUNCH’s investigation also revealed the banks would not allow their customers to use naira-denominated ATM cards locally for transactions denominated in forex.

This means bank customers will not be able to use their cards to buy products from foreign e-commerce sites like e-bay and amazon.com in which payments are made in forex.

The development follows the lingering scarcity of foreign exchange, especially the dollar, to settle obligations arising from customers’ use of the ATM cards for forex-denominated transactions.

Already, Standard Chartered Bank has notified its customers that from January 1, 2016, they will not be able to use their naira-denominated ATM cards for transactions that are denominated in foreign currencies, either locally or when they travel abroad.

In a notice to its customers, Standard Chartered said, “This is to notify you that from January 1, 2016, your naira card will no longer be enabled for international use. This is as a result of the limited foreign exchange supply in the financial market.”

Asked how long the suspension of cards from international transactions would be, the spokesperson for Standard Chartered Nigeria, Mrs. Dayo Adurogbo, said, “We cannot give a definite date. It depends on how soon it is available. We will do everything to meet our customers’ demand once it is available.”

Further findings showed that a number of other banks had stopped customers from using their ATM cards abroad but had yet to officially communicate this to them.

Some customers told our correspondent that when they notified their banks of plans to travel and the need to enable their cards work overseas, they were simply informed that the cards could not be enabled for now due to issues relating to forex scarcity.

SUNDAY PUNCH findings showed others banks might issue notices similar to that of Standard Chartered Bank before the end of the year.

“We had some discussions recently and some top bank officials said they would stop customers from using their naira-denominated cards for international transactions due to the serious challenges in getting forex to settle their international partners,” a top bank official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, said on Friday.

The current situation means customers travelling abroad for Christmas and New Year may face severe payment challenges, a situation that may mar their shopping plans.

The fall in prices of crude oil, the main earner of foreign exchange for Nigeria, has made the nation’s forex income to reduce drastically, creating dollar scarcity crisis for the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The CBN has been rationing dollar to banks, importers and other forex users as the nation’s foreign exchange reserves continue to deplete, hitting $29.4bn on December 7, 2015.

The PUNCH had exclusively reported on Thursday that banks had cut the amount that their customers could spend using their debit and credit cards abroad by between 70 and 90 per cent. This took effect during the first week of December for the majority of the banks.

Specifically, banks cut customers’ card spending in foreign currencies from the annual $50,000 allowed by the CBN to between $5,000 and $15,000.

According to findings by our correspondent, Ecobank Nigeria Plc has reduced its limit from $50,000 to $5,000, with a maximum of $500 monthly and $100 daily expenditure.

Skye Bank Plc, in a notice to its customers via email, also slashed its international card spending limit from $50,000 to $12,000 annually, a maximum of $1,000 monthly and $100 daily.

Wema Bank Plc also slashed spending on its payment cards from $50,000 to $10,000 annually, $1,000 monthly and $100 daily.

Although other banks have yet to confirm their new international card spending limits, findings by our correspondent revealed that the new limits for most of them ranged from $5,000 to $15,000 annually, and $500 to $1,000 monthly.

http://www.punchng.com/banks-stop-use-of-atm-cards-abroad/

This will be extremely difficult for students abroad. Did they really think this through ?? How does one now legitimately take care of living expenses
This was the only way most people could take care of it now its been stop.
Any suggestions Nairalanders ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Martinscue: 3:16pm On Dec 20, 2015
blessedfavoured:

You can't use form A for flight ticket... Just tuition medicals and mortgage.

But basically for tuition, you need your admission letter, letter of authorization to debit your account, passport data page, beneficiary account details, past certificate- waec for UG, UG certificate And/or transcript for msc students. And the form A of course.

Form A Isn't working at the moment. CBN has closed for the year and there is no way the bank would do transfer till next year January.. I've been trying to use this service for payment of my tuition but can't due to the above reasons.. House, Is there any other transfer service aside from form A
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
Martinscue:

Form A Isn't working at the moment. CBN has closed for the year and there is no way the bank would do transfer till next year January.. I've been trying to use this service for payment of my tuition but can't due to the above reasons.. House, Is there any other transfer service aside from form A
Drop copies of the credentials with your family and they should assist you with it in January. Your school can always chill till January
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
IIZER29:

This will be extremely difficult for students abroad. Did they really think this through ?? How does one now legitimately take care of living expenses
This was the only way most people could take care of it now its been stop.
Any suggestions Nairalanders ?
western union
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by IIZER29: 3:25pm On Dec 20, 2015
slimmy05:
western union

How much could one send with western union ? Isn't there a limit ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bdbodmas: 4:04pm On Dec 20, 2015
Hello House, i will like to know if embassy still allow someone to rescheduled appointment
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
IIZER29:

How much could one send with western union ? Isn't there a limit ?
there is no limit
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
bdbodmas:
Hello House, i will like to know if embassy still allow someone to rescheduled appointment
if it's your first time, you should be able to. While trying to reschedule check for the prompt so you would know if you can reschedule while cancelling the date you have now.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by nedum360: 4:37pm On Dec 20, 2015
blessedfavoured:

Pay your fees with form A,exchange rate is still 200 through cbn.. Add your allowance for the semester to the fees if you can get a cash refund... That's what my sister does to bypass the crazy exchange rate.

Thanks for the insightful comment. if you have previously paid ur school fees, are u allowed pocket money in dollars? If yes, which bank offers that? N what's the maximum u could get?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by nedum360: 4:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
justbiz:

GTB should do if you have a return tickect.

You know anybody that got from GTB?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by blessedfavoured: 4:45pm On Dec 20, 2015
nedum360:

Thanks for the insightful comment. if you have previously paid ur school fees, are u allowed pocket money in dollars? If yes, which bank offers that? N what's the maximum u could get?

If you are present in Nigeria, then you could get a maximum of 4000usd Cash at a time up to 4 times a year. It's called PTA. You need to walk into your bank with passport, valid visa and ticket.

If you are not in Nigeria, then you add your pocket money to your tuition,( if your tuition is 10k for example, and your allowance is 4k, you send 14k to your school) pay with FORM A and apply for refund from your school. But find out if they will agree to give you cash or check, and not refund to the account it came from.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by nedum360: 5:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
Wow. You know any bank that offers the services? Reports I'm getting has it that no bank is agreeing to give.

blessedfavoured:

If you are present in Nigeria, then you could get a maximum of 4000usd Cash at a time up to 4 times a year. It's called PTA. You need to walk into your bank with passport, valid visa and ticket.

If you are not in Nigeria, then you add your pocket money to your tuition,( if your tuition is 10k for example, and your allowance is 4k, you send 14k to your school) pay with FORM A and apply for refund from your school. But find out if they will agree to give you cash or check, and not refund to the account it came from.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by blessedfavoured: 5:51pm On Dec 20, 2015
slimmy05:
western union

Western union is limited though, 1000usd per quarter. At least for first bank.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by blessedfavoured: 5:54pm On Dec 20, 2015
nedum360:
Wow. You know any bank that offers the services? Reports I'm getting has it that no bank is agreeing to give.

Most banks do, but I guess things are different right now with the dollar scarcity issue.

Try travelex at the airport... Never used it though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
blessedfavoured:

Western union is limited though, 1000usd per quarter. At least for first bank.
you can have multiple people send
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Golden94: 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
PLS READ THIS!!!
I don't know y everyone keep saying there is no December date for interview. I still booked an appointment for tomorrow 21 December for my friend and last time I checked the next available appointment is 29 December. so pls check well. the embassy wouldn't issue ur visa if ure not resuming on the date on ur i-20 and schools won't give more than 5 or;7 days for extension. And I will also like everyone to know I got my f1 visa at the fourth attempt plus all my interviews were this year so pls don't let anyone discourage you. I hope this helps

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mikkyphaton: 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
slimmy05:
hey bro, to use this western union, what's the exchange rate for dollar to naira
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fregkay: 8:01pm On Dec 20, 2015
Boss,I hail o...pls,did you get my PM I need your help pls.
foohard:
Hello Boss, I am in Chicago.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by blessedfavoured: 8:38pm On Dec 20, 2015
slimmy05:

Oh yeah! True that
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by jah101: 8:38pm On Dec 20, 2015
Golden94:
PLS READ THIS!!!
I don't know y everyone keep saying there is no December date for interview. I still booked an appointment for tomorrow 21 December for my friend and last time I checked the next available appointment is 29 December. so pls check well. the embassy wouldn't issue ur visa if ure not resuming on the date on ur i-20 and schools won't give more than 5 or;7 days for extension. And I will also like everyone to know I got my f1 visa at the fourth attempt plus all my interviews were this year so pls don't let anyone discourage you. I hope this helps

Good Note...What if program start date is Jan 19 2016 and the arrival date i put on my ds-160 form is jan 08...That shouldnt be a problem...is it?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
Golden94:
PLS READ THIS!!!

It happens;sometimes dates would just appear from no where...I experienced that too during my time too. They are not totally wrong. Guess it's being lucky. Got my own visa 4days after the first denial...Guess I was highly favored.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Daniel3366: 8:59pm On Dec 20, 2015
@Golden94 broda when last did you check the appointment page, because as at now it still 12th January 2016.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Jchi9876: 9:31pm On Dec 20, 2015
slimmy05:

be careful how you advice people!!!!!
western union has a foreign International limit of 7999usd per day receivable funds in the US and the pay out locations have limits some cannot pay more than 3000 some can.

when you advice different people to send money to someone in the US within a short period amounts to money laundering and it is a crime.

You do not want anyone to be a target pf the authorities for terror money or stolen illicit funds. there are many ways of receiving huge legitimate funds.

Stop giving that kind of advice!!!!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 10:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
GboyegaD:

I still dey till next week before I go naija ooo.

Oh Okay
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Perotti: 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
Hello house, is any one here studying at or heading for the University of Florida, Gainesville, especially for graduate studies? Pls I need some info. Thank u all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Golden94: 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
@jah101 its no problem. @daniel just keep checking, date will pop up. its now January 13 buh you can still get December date. f1 applicants always have that grace.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
Mikkyphaton:
hey bro, to use this western union, what's the exchange rate for dollar to naira
shouldn't be more than 201 or 205
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 12:01am On Dec 21, 2015
Jchi9876:

Quick questions

Define fraud?

Can you print "transcripts"( why they call it that i still donot know) and take with you to embassy?

if you confidently pull "transcripts" from here print it on a paper and have "mistakenly" amidst your visa paperwork and a consular office sees it what would you think his or her reaction will be?

are you aware that preping yourself albeit in a deceitful manner as such as soliciting, cramming, relying on other " successful" visa applicants interview sessions to get a visa is morally wrong and creates a bad impression?

why do you think VOs shut applicants up when they start. to download all they have crammed with an intent to give an impression they are genuine?

An interview session is not synonymous with a class exam where you can go digging into past questions and answers.

If you are a genuine and honest applicant who has sole intentions to study overseas you DO NOT need to know about every nitty gritty of another applicant's visa interview session to be successful.
REmember every visa applicant's case is different and particular

Be carefull how you coerce people into giving details of interview sessions and some are so gullible

I wont go further into details he that has ears even though others have been doing it( doesnt make ot right) should desisit from posting their sessions online.

The USA consular having a thread on Nairaland is not necessarily because they love you too much but majorly to reduce visa fraud of any kind to its minimum through any media including this clandestine one.

many who have come to open their mouths loudly here after getting visas "approved" will not come back to tell you stories that happen after.

Especially when those transcript carry this feeling of "i done beat the VO i lie wella"

In addition and more importantly if Nairaland preaches DO IT YOURSELF and ABHORS use of agents( dream killers in my opinion) then when members here solicit others to put their interview sessions with an aim to coach them on what to say next time is SYNONYMOUS to what an agent does as some members now see these transcripts as success routes a total derailment from the DO IT YOURSELF.
Let the DO IT YOURSELF campaign be in EVERY area.

I do not think he is selfish he came here noticed the so called tradition took advantage of it got his visa like he said, refused to post his interview session isnt selfish he is been cautious and smart you do not have the moral obligation to help or answer people neither does he have same to post. if he is selfish like you defined then i will say a dictator and an obnoxious person is sommeone and who tries to coerce people into things against their ethics

Hmmm a word is enough for the wise

if you must under gun point for any reasons post your sessions be smart. dont give details of all your answers or date you were approved or VO's physical characteristics.

Be careful be street smart.

I read your post but can you just be specific with the message you are passing across to me.

If your definition of fraud is applicable to this then you used fraud to get your visa as well if I am not wrong because all what you told VO you got it somewhere and part of it was used as a pretence as well..

Part of the reasons why VO shut applicant up is because they have their reasons for doing that and it can be traced to what you driving to, tiredness, in hurry, time factor, same old story or news and so on.

Maybe you don't know that VO expect applicant to say a sentence and if it's exactly what (s)he wants to hear the VO will cuts in..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 12:05am On Dec 21, 2015
JoyPaulLaw:
Please House, I wish to ask, school resumes on 2nd Jan, 2015 but visa appointment will hold 15th January,2015. and all means to reschedule appointment proved abortive. I hope it won't affect anything except arriving campus late.

Your best shot it to apply for emergency appointment only if you haven't been denied visa in the last 6 months

(1) (2) (3) ... (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.