Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 9 - Travel (160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (1041266 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ikem01(m): 9:16pm On Nov 24, 2015
ayooluwatoni:

Oga u don't have any problem.....don't compare your application with other people's. I didn't hear anything from cic for over 1 month after I did medicals. You'll just be fine....just do your best to deal with the tension.....I know it's not easy, and start shopping for flights and accommodation, because once u get medical passed, u're gonna get passport request and then approval mail......so just start preparing.....
Thanks, are u saying they didn't update ur acc if u passed for a month.. Wow. Anyways thanks for the advice I appreciate
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Omonjoe(m): 9:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
Congratulations to him....u re a genius at this .....pls do still stay around
thesoj:
Hello peeps!!!
My brother got the passport request notice today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a very complex applicant with no funds of his own (absolute zero), no employment letter (he was self-employed but he made very little from it and didn't register the company), and zero travel history outside West Africa. But we worked hard to get the VO to see that he wasn't lazying about since he finished BSc about five years ago. We put together a really good application (with lots of proof) in spite of the complexity of his application, and apparently the VO was impressed. But let's wait until we see the visa sha.... I previously discussed his application here and here and here.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ayooluwatoni(m): 10:14pm On Nov 24, 2015
iykedare:
Hi guys,

Is it compulsory for prospective students to book return tickets? I'm going for a one year pgd programme.

Thesoj

Berexio1

EmmaMsc

Ayooluwatoni

Iyaejima

You don't need to book a return ticket for Canada, except if it's a visitor's visa you have, but for study permit, u should be fine. it's US that is strict and require a return ticket. But booking a return ticket on some airlines may be cheaper than one way....so just search for both and go for the cheapest
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ayooluwatoni(m): 10:15pm On Nov 24, 2015
ikem01:

Thanks, are u saying they didn't update ur acc if u passed for a month.. Wow. Anyways thanks for the advice I appreciate
Didn't do online....so mine was worse.....didn't get any info for over a month.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by VICTORDEBELS: 11:13pm On Nov 24, 2015
Govt.of Canada plans resettling 25,000 Syrian refugeez before the year runs out. #Humanitarianservice#
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by iykedare(m): 11:36pm On Nov 24, 2015
ayooluwatoni:

You don't need to book a return ticket for Canada, except if it's a visitor's visa you have, but for study permit, u should be fine. it's US that is strict and require a return ticket. But booking a return ticket on some airlines may be cheaper than one way....so just search for both and go for the cheapest

Even for a one year course?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 12:03am On Nov 25, 2015
ayooluwatoni:
It's Party time...... we go dance skelewu and azonto...lols. Congratulobiaaaaaa....
So happy for your brother... before it was your sister, now your brother.....I hope u won't disappear now o....or do you still av another bro/sis?
Thanks bro. Well, this thread has helped my family immeasurably! And I'm thankful I've been able to give back as well. I will eventually disappear but it will be gradual... I think I got addicted after being on here for so long, so I won't be completely absent yet. I've also been thinking about putting together some "how-to" PDFs for this thread but it depends on if/when time permits.

Omonjoe:
Congratulations to him....u re a genius at this .....pls do still stay around
Thanks bro. Hmm... I no be genius o smiley

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Kris99: 12:05am On Nov 25, 2015
Travelling Tip #2: PORT OF ENTRY(POE) ISSUES, DEPORTATION AND THE PROMISE LAND

Receiving your study permit approval from the CIC and finally preparing to arrive in Canada ought to be the most memorable experience in the life of a student. Often at times, the experiences are unforgettably disastrous for some people. I will share some experience gathered from friends on this topic and give a layman's advice on the best way to deal with it. If anyone ever saw Tom Hank's 2004 movie ' The Terminal" you may have an idea of how immigration checks at the port of arrival into a developed country. How will you feel if after a 20hrs long flight, you see your PROMISE land (Canada) but fail to enter ? How does deportation scare anyone? The answers are not far-fetched. A Port Of Entry( POE) is the legal entry point into a country (in this context your arriving airport where the immigration officers interrogate your documents before issuing you your study permit/work permit. Often, at times, students for some reasons best know to them choose the wrong flight routes or arrival destination airports. Lets look at this scenario, A student who is due to school in a university in Abuja books a flight with MM1 as his final destination. Any immigration officer will be suspicious. Why not arrival in Abuja but Lagos? why dont you have any connecting flight? An even better example is this. A student heading to a school in Halifax, Novas Scotia in the far Northern parts of Canada made Pearson Intl Airport In Ontario (way South) his final destination..Such a student has left himself opened to be devoured. Why not a connecting flight to Halifax, but Pearson in Toronto? What are your reasons? The stammering begins and the emotional and psychological demeanor is obviously exposing at this point. At this point, your fate is in the hands of the officer and your God. If your answers are unconvincing as was in the case of a lady yesterday in Toronto, then deportation is the result. You are at the border of Canaan, but cannot enter. Oya back to Lagos.

What you must know is the following:

1.Your letter approving your study permit you received in Nigeria from the CIC is not an authorization of AUTOMATIC entry into Canada
2. You have not gotten your study permit until it is issued to you by the immigration officer at the airport in Canada. What you carried all this while was a mere introductory letter and a visa to allow you to be processed for entry into Canada
3. If your final arriving destination is unreasonably far from your school or province you are likely to be interrogated, and worse case scenario deported.
4. Thousands of people arrival in Canada by the minute. Staying in an immigration queue at the airport awaiting your immigration process can be the most nerving moment in your travel tale. You are in a queue with arabs, aisans and other races. While some of these students enjoy the comapanionship of their parents or friends, you are rather alone by yourself in the queue intimidated by the mere look at how the officers attend and scrutinize those students before them. Your emotional, psychological and articulation balance will all be shaped by this bizarre atmosphere. Remember that the immigration officers have been psychologically trained to detect misinformation, lies..etc in your communication and documentation. Be well composed when in the queue and before the officer..Be consistent and straight forward in your answering.

Even though some students from Nigeria may have intentions of not really attendning the school upon arrival or have other agendas, You must not not choose the wrong destination points for final arrival. If your School is in Newfoundland, I beg pls use a connecting flight to get there...But wait? what if i have not much funds and I decided to stop over in say Toronto Or Montreal in Quebec and pick a bus to my school which is few hours drive? well, you must be ready to answer this concisely to the officer when he pokes such questions at you. If possible show him/her proof that you already booked a bus or car for that transit.. I know two guys of friends of mine who were painfully deported upon arriving in Pearson, Toronto (instead of Edmonton, Alberta) and Montreal, Quebec (instead of St. Johns, Newfoundland). Na your groundnut u dey go harvest for Montreal or Toronto? Maybe u dey go spend time with your long time borobor abi?

I HOPE THIS HELPS. HAVE FUN

32 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Kris99: 12:10am On Nov 25, 2015
FEEDBACK ON MESSAGES:

Weeekdays are busy work days for me. Due to the time difference (6hrs) I am mostly back home in the evening( 5pm) ,
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ayooluwatoni(m): 12:14am On Nov 25, 2015
iykedare:

Even for a one year course?

Not sure there's a rule against booking one way for Canada. But if you're in doubt, please send a mail to customs and border protection
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ayooluwatoni(m): 12:20am On Nov 25, 2015
Kris99:
Travelling Tip #2: PORT OF ENTRY(POE) ISSUES, DEPORTATION AND THE PROMISE LAND

Receiving your study permit approval from the CIC and finally preparing to arrive in Canada ought to be the most memorable experience in the life of a student. Often at times, the experiences are unforgettably disastrous for some people. I will share some experience gathered from friends on this topic and give a layman's advice on the best way to deal with it. If anyone ever saw Tom Hank's 2004 movie ' The Terminal" you may have an idea of how immigration checks at the port of arrival into a developed country. How will you feel if after a 20hrs long flight, you see your PROMISE land (Canada) but fail to enter ? How does deportation scare anyone? The answers are not far-fetched. A Port Of Entry( POE) is the legal entry point into a country (in this context your arriving airport where the immigration officers interrogate your documents before issuing you your study permit/work permit. Often, at times, students for some reasons best know to them choose the wrong flight routes or arrival destination airports. Lets look at this scenario, A student who is due to school in a university in Abuja books a flight with MM1 as his final destination. Any immigration officer will be suspicious. Why not arrival in Abuja but Lagos? why dont you have any connecting flight? An even better example is this. A student heading to a school in Halifax, Novas Scotia in the far Northern parts of Canada made Pearson Intl Airport In Ontario (way South) his final destination..Such a student has left himself opened to be devoured. Why not a connecting flight to Halifax, but Pearson in Toronto? What are your reasons? The stammering begins and the emotional and psychological demeanor is obviously exposing at this point. At this point, your fate is in the hands of the officer and your God. If your answers are unconvincing as was in the case of a lady yesterday in Toronto, then deportation is the result. You are at the border of Canaan, but cannot enter. Oya back to Lagos.

What you must know is the following:

1.Your letter approving your study permit you received in Nigeria from the CIC is not an authorization of AUTOMATIC entry into Canada
2. You have not gotten your study permit until it is issued to you by the immigration officer at the airport in Canada. What you carried all this while was a mere introductory letter and a visa to allow you to be processed for entry into Canada
3. If your final arriving destination is unreasonably far from your school or province you are likely to be interrogated, and worse case scenario deported.
4. Thousands of people arrival in Canada by the minute. Staying in an immigration queue at the airport awaiting your immigration process can be the most nerving moment in your travel tale. You are in a queue with arabs, aisans and other races. While some of these students enjoy the comapanionship of their parents or friends, you are rather alone by yourself in the queue intimidated by the mere look at how the officers attend and scrutinize those students before them. Your emotional, psychological and articulation balance will all be shaped by this bizarre atmosphere. Remember that the immigration officers have been psychologically trained to detect misinformation, lies..etc in your communication and documentation. Be well composed when in the queue and before the officer..Be consistent and straight forward in your answering.

Even though some students from Nigeria may have intentions of not really attendning the school upon arrival or have other agendas, You must not not choose the wrong destination points for final arrival. If your School is in Newfoundland, I beg pls use a connecting flight to get there...But wait? what if i have not much funds and I decided to stop over in say Toronto Or Montreal in Quebec and pick a bus to my school which is few hours drive? well, you must be ready to answer this concisely to the officer when he pokes such questions at you. If possible show him/her proof that you already booked a bus or car for that transit.. I know two guys of friends of mine who were painfully deported upon arriving in Pearson, Toronto (instead of Edmonton, Alberta) and Montreal, Quebec (instead of St. Johns, Newfoundland). Na your groundnut u dey go harvest for Montreal or Toronto? Maybe u dey go spend time with your long time borobor abi?

I HOPE THIS HELPS. HAVE FUN

Really make sense. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by IyaEjima(f): 12:27am On Nov 25, 2015
iykedare:
Hi guys,

Is it compulsory for prospective students to book return tickets? I'm going for a one year pgd programme.

Thesoj

Berexio1

EmmaMsc

Ayooluwatoni

Iyaejima
Nope, not compulsory! Unless u wanna visit naija soon.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 2:05am On Nov 25, 2015
@MiniMicro03 I just sent you a PM. Please respond.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by AdexStudio(m): 4:49am On Nov 25, 2015
Kriss77:

Newfoundland uni is a gud school and seem to be one of the cheapest in Canada..

The city itself is of low population....
The school needs applicants...so its easy to get an admission there.
U can give a try if they have course that relates to your field of study.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Dazlinga: 6:52am On Nov 25, 2015
Naykay:
Where did u do the medical and how much

Sorry Naykay, got busy after those posts, gud AM, did it in conslutant practice Falomo..
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Ljayy: 7:09am On Nov 25, 2015
pinkettot:
2nd time applying. Submitted Sept 9, medical mail. Nov 5 medical done. Nov 10. Approval mail. Nov 24. Thanking God for his mercies. Documents. Admission letter, my dad's SOA which is his retirement pension fund 7m+ and his saving acct which is less than 3m , fees receipt,nysc employment letter, C of O of our house, fam pics, my dad shares, and sponsorship affidavit from my dad. Transcripts..., statement of result. Am so grateful to God, with lots of prayers too. So yes u can use pension fund as SOA.
thank you so much for the morale booster.....getting mine soon in jesus name......congratulations

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Dazlinga: 7:10am On Nov 25, 2015
thesoj:
Thanks.
Online route. Upfront medicals.
Submitted Oct 5
Biometrics Oct 6
Medical Passed Nov 6
Passport Request Nov 24

Please Bro SOJ, when your bro did biometric after upfront medicals, did his application status show "submitted" or processing", please confirm from him, very important, don't know if it's the new CIC updated status message for online applicants, as I see Submitted on mine, instead of processing like my previous delayed app...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by boboyi247(m): 7:32am On Nov 25, 2015
thesoj:
Hello peeps!!!
My brother got the passport request notice today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a very complex applicant with no funds of his own (absolute zero), no employment letter (he was self-employed but he made very little from it and didn't register the company), and zero travel history outside West Africa. But we worked hard to get the VO to see that he wasn't lazying about since he finished BSc about five years ago. We put together a really good application (with lots of proof) in spite of the complexity of his application, and apparently the VO was impressed. But let's wait until we see the visa sha.... I previously discussed his application here and here and here.

bro. you are simply one of the best we have got on this trend
congrat. to your brother once again.
pls still stick around doing what you good at.
congrat. baba
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by zaidasqueen: 7:39am On Nov 25, 2015
Please I Need Anybody Who Is A Student Of York University Or Memorial University Of Newfoundland To PM pls....Really Need Info And Directions As Regards Application To Those schools. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by OTUNBACODED: 7:43am On Nov 25, 2015
Please is there any Fleming College student on this thread? thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by omooba2015(m): 8:38am On Nov 25, 2015
thesoj:
@MiniMicro03 I just sent you a PM. Please respond.
Bros, I sent you an email yesterday...i haven't read from you. Pls reply. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by slimslim: 8:38am On Nov 25, 2015
Good morning all, I am writing on behalf of a friend. This is the issue:

please I need suggestions and advice regarding this, submitted application, paper route some 5 weeks ago. Tracked the application after the 3rd week and the information was that the "application is being processed in Ghana". Tried to check the status of the application a week later by tracking and the response is "No record found" and it's been like this till this morning. I initially thought it's was because I am using phone, l was at the cafe yesterday, and it was the same. I even had someone to assist that perhaps I am not picking the correct reference number, but the result is the same. Please what do l do. I have received no communication nor information since I submitted.

I look forward to your suggestions and advice. Many thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by kaygreen(m): 8:53am On Nov 25, 2015
OTUNBACODED:
Please is there any Fleming College student on this thread? thanks

Yeah. Have u applied or gotten TRV?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ayooluwatoni(m): 9:04am On Nov 25, 2015
slimslim:
Good morning all, I am writing on behalf of a friend. This is the issue:

please I need suggestions and advice regarding this, submitted application, paper route some 5 weeks ago. Tracked the application after the 3rd week and the information was that the "application is being processed in Ghana". Tried to check the status of the application a week later by tracking and the response is "No record found" and it's been like this till this morning. I initially thought it's was because I am using phone, l was at the cafe yesterday, and it was the same. I even had someone to assist that perhaps I am not picking the correct reference number, but the result is the same. Please what do l do. I have received no communication nor information since I submitted.

I look forward to your suggestions and advice. Many thanks
Well I dont wanna say it's impossible, but u might actually be clicking on the wrong processing center. For instance, if your app is being processed in Ghana and u selecting Abuja or Lagos, u might av issh. If however u're sure you didn't make that mistake, I'll advise you wait until it's past 8 weeks, then open a case enquiry.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by slimslim: 9:47am On Nov 25, 2015
Thanks Ayooluwatoni, I want to get it well please so I can explain this to her, in the receipt given to her the website is stated, through the website, there is a portion that states if your reference starts with CALA click here and if it starts with GHAN click here, we click the GHAN, because that what the reference number start with and after inputting the numbers and date of birth, we get the error message. I am not familiar with it myself but I will try it again. Thank you.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by slimslim: 9:58am On Nov 25, 2015
Still same error. No record found. How do one open case enquiry?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ganiyuadeoye: 10:13am On Nov 25, 2015
Please guys, more research on scholarship concerning my MSC, I found out this.

Scholarships, Awards & Financial Support

Scholarships & Awards
Graduate students are encouraged to apply for both internal and external funding through scholarships and awards. While most funding from the department comes in the form of research and teaching assistantships, the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research offer numerous scholarships and awards for graduate students.

Financial Support
Financial assistance is available through the department in the form of a limited number of graduate assistantships for students in thesis-based degrees (MSc and PhD). These typically include teaching and research assistantships, but some applicants may also qualify for tuition scholarships. All applicants are automatically considered for these awards during the review of their application.

please Kindly spare me some time and review this with me. especially the bold one.

Your view will be highly appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (401)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.