Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession (24714 Views)

Peter Obi Arrives Late To World Igbo Congress. See What He Did Next / How Popular Is Biafran Secession Honestly? / Nigeria Will Crush Biafran Secession Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by laudate: 11:51am On Sep 07, 2015
Obiagu1:

He gave his reasons.
Biafrans are republicans and have no monarchy.
In addition, our women tie 2 piece wrappers and we all have 4 market days.
If you noticed, every ethnic group that have related with the Igbo and have an immediate boundary with the Igbo is included except the Edo.

The reason for Edo exclusion is because they have a monarch. I think he said some time ago that unless the powers of Oba of Benin is diminished, Edo will not be part of Biafra.

So in summary, Biafra 2.0 is Igbo and all Igbo neighbours.

Oh, so tying 2 wrappers and having 4 market days is what qualifies another ethnic group to be annexed into the map of Biafra! Can you see how some people reason blindly?? shocked shocked angry

God forbid bad thing! Tufiakwa! The Igala and Idoma will never be part of such folly. Go and get your Biafra by whatever means, but leave the Igala and Idoma out of your territorial expansion, biko nu. undecided

During the civil war of 1967 - 1970, the rank and file of the federal side that pummelled Biafran soldiers into submission, were drawn predominantly from the middle belt, among the Igala, Idoma, Tiv, Tarok, Gbagyi, Birom, Bassa, Angula, Jukun, Zango-Kataf etc, followed by the Kanuri, Fulani, Hausa, Bachama and other ethnic groups from the far north. undecided As we speak, the Igala people of Odekpe have been dealing with Aguleri people at the Anambra border over OPL 915, that runs through Kogi, Anambra and Edo states. sad

So please remove the Igala and Idoma from your calculations. Seek this Biafra on your own, without dragging anyone else into it! sad

@LastProphet, see how they have arrogantly attached your people to the map of Biafra! shocked

@Cheruv, did you not say Biafra was for the SS Igbo and SE Igbo only, what is Igala and idoma doing inside your map??!

4 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by theDEVILisHERE: 12:22pm On Sep 07, 2015
zendy:

Should Biafra later become all the states in the SS/SE ( with the exclusion of Edo state), I would like the capital of Biafra to be in the SS. I also want its first president to be a non Igbo. Infact, the first 10 years of Biafra should have a non Igbo president . I also want the contitution to allow rotational presidency between the Igbos and the minorities. Also, I want all oil producing area to get at least 50% of everything coming out of their lands or waters. One last thing I would want in Biafra, is for the nation to pledge to fight alongside Yorubas should any war erupt between Yorubas and the Northerners ( I believe that should Biafra be actualised, a war will erupt between Northerners and Yorubas within 3 months

Leadership should be based on merit
A well structured system doesn't really need a centre and can be administered from any where
People should completely control what belongs to them and go into an agreement with those they want to partner with
You should go into aliance only with those who have your interest at heart

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by Obiagu1(m): 12:58pm On Sep 07, 2015
laudate:

Oh, so tying 2 wrappers and having 4 market days is what qualifies another ethnic group to be annexed into the map of Biafra! Can you see how some people reason blindly?? shocked shocked angry

God forbid bad thing! Tufiakwa! The Igala and Idoma will never be part of such folly. Go and get your Biafra by whatever means, but leave the Igala and Idoma out of your territorial expansion, biko nu. undecided

During the civil war of 1967 - 1970, the rank and file of the federal side that pummelled Biafran soldiers into submission, were drawn predominantly from the middle belt, among the Igala, Idoma, Tiv, Tarok, Gbagyi, Birom, Bassa, Angula, Jukun, Zango-Kataf etc, followed by the Kanuri, Fulani, Hausa, Bachama and other ethnic groups from the far north. undecided As we speak, the Igala people of Odekpe have been dealing with Aguleri people at the Anambra border over OPL 915, that runs through Kogi, Anambra and Edo states. sad

So please remove the Igala and Idoma from your calculations. Seek this Biafra on your own, without dragging anyone else into it! sad

@LastProphet, see how they have arrogantly attached your people to the map of Biafra! shocked

@Cheruv, did you not say Biafra was for the SS Igbo and SE Igbo only, what is Igala and idoma doing inside your map??!

No one is annexing anyone. There will be referendum of course. We simply displayed the intended geographical extent of Biafra.

The 2 piece wrappers, 4 market days and contiguity with the Igbo boundary are what distinguish Biafrans from the rest of Nigerians.
We all have closely related cultures.

I'll add that of all the non-Igbo Biafrans, Igala and Idoma are the closest related to the Igbo by blood. We can't leave them behind unless they opt out. What they did in the past during the war is inconsequential here. Many people were not educated then to understand fully what was going on.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by chigoizie7(m): 1:23pm On Sep 07, 2015
zendy:

Should Biafra later become all the states in the SS/SE ( with the exclusion of Edo state), I would like the capital of Biafra to be in the SS. I also want its first president to be a non Igbo. Infact, the first 10 years of Biafra should have a non Igbo president . I also want the contitution to allow rotational presidency between the Igbos and the minorities. Also, I want all oil producing area to get at least 50% of everything coming out of their lands or waters. One last thing I would want in Biafra, is for the nation to pledge to fight alongside Yorubas should any war erupt between Yorubas and the Northerners ( I believe that should Biafra be actualised, a war will erupt between Northerners and Yorubas within 3 months

I Beg to differ on the war aspect bro, this is a case of a slave and its masters, a slave dares not get into any kind of fight with its master, otherwise that slave will be annihilated without questions asked on what happened to him/her.

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by chigoizie7(m): 1:27pm On Sep 07, 2015
Obiagu1:

No one is annexing anyone. There will be referendum of course. We simply displayed the intended geographical extent of Biafra.

The 2 piece wrappers, 4 market days and contiguity with the Igbo boundary are what distinguish Biafrans from the rest of Nigerians.

I'll add that of all the non-Igbo Biafrans, Igala and Idoma are the closest related to the Igbo by blood. We can't leave them behind unless they opt out. What they did in the past during the war is inconsequential here. Many people were not educated then to understand fully what was going on.

Bros, were do u get your own MB? U get time to reply that nitwit? Biafra will make sure they include everyone it think belongs to them, but if they want to opt out? No big deal, @least no one will blame biafra for leavings its own behind when d fulani people will use dem as slaves to their cattles.

9 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by macof(m): 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2015
Adding Igala, Idoma, Ijaw, Efik etc while Igbo will want to dominate everybody and take over their land and resources with their power of numbers

The worst thing for SS (exception of Anioma, Ikwere) is to follow Biafra cus they will be greatly marginalized by Igboid language speakers

Wats the point having another country with the same problems Nigeria is having - disunity?

Ijaw, Edo, Efik etc can form their own nation independent of Biafra

Igala, Tiv, Idoma, Jukun, Gwari, Nupe, Bariba all rather be with Nigeria than be kicked into a box to fight the Igbo or Fulani for power that they know they cannot get

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by EasternLionn: 1:52pm On Sep 07, 2015
macof:
Adding Igala, Idoma, Ijaw, Efik etc while Igbo will want to dominate everybody and take over their land and resources with their power of numbers

The worst thing for SS (exception of Anioma, Ikwere) is to follow Biafra cus they will be greatly marginalized by Igboid language speakers

Wats the point having another country with the same problems Nigeria is having - disunity?

Ijaw, Edo, Efik etc can form their own nation independent of Biafra

Igala, Tiv, Idoma, Jukun, Gwari, Nupe, Bariba all rather be with Nigeria than be kicked into a box to fight the Igbo or Fulani for power that they know they cannot get

And you are very wrong.
You want me to prove it to you?

4 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by macof(m): 1:57pm On Sep 07, 2015
EasternLionn:

And you are very wrong.
You want me to prove it to you?
pls do
Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by EasternLionn: 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2015
macof:
pls do

Did you read what Cheruv said earlier?
Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by PhockPhockMan: 2:33pm On Sep 07, 2015
dejavski:

Actually our Niger Delta Republic would be a better option
Mind you, Imo and Abia States are also Niger-delta states.

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by papaejima1: 2:45pm On Sep 07, 2015
mrvitalis:
I support baifra... . but not a baifra lead by this man.. .. .. .
Baifra is not an all igbo thing. .. .. . All the ethnic groups involved must come to terms
... . First of all the capital of baifra must be in port Harcourt... .. or uyo.. ..
.. .. It first president must also not be igbo...
.. ... Make the south south feel the way they want to be
... .. in baifra will all state control there resources? Or will it be the way we have it in Nigeria
... .. We need the south south.. . Not for there oil... No.. But to have access to the sea.. .. .. . They need us also because of our man power
... . Baifra I will support is a baifra were each state will control there resources and be free.
Maybe you need to read the biafra charter and declaration. All component entities of Biafra enjoy a union of equals. It is immaterial who becomes first president or where the capital is located. Important thing is that every citizen is given free rein to develop to his maximum potential, every region allowed to develop according to their pace while subscribing to the tenets of strength in numbers and onuru ube nwanne agbala oso.

2 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by Tkester: 2:53pm On Sep 07, 2015
One thing I like about this Kanu guy, is his strategic intelligence in ensuring the Biafran dream becomes a reality!

I've listened to the guy severally and I get marveled with the way and manner he is pursuing this project, in fact I am beyond convinced that he is the right guy for the Biafran project at the moment. Just taking a glance at his speech at WIC will show him as someone who knows his onion.

First he begins by mobilizing and sensitizing the Igbos on the need to pursue their destiny, in doing so he tries to massage our egos by reminding us of how special we are as the people of Biafra ( Umu - Chineke). Anyone who is a student of psychology will know that once you instil a sense of pride and self worth into someone - pronto you've the person at your beck and call. Therefore with this ego massage, I see Biafrans rising up to their project.

Second, he forms organization of Biafrans in different countries, this will help in sensitizing the world on the need to help Nigeria avoid another war or ethnic cleansing, by giving the Biafrans an opportunity to decide through a UN backed referendum if they still want to be Nigerians or not. I know that if such vote happens today at least 80% of Biafrans will vote for the latter.

Thirdly, he instill in the mind of the Biafran youths a radicalized mindset, thereby fulfilling a popular saying which in my own estimation is a truism that states 'freedom has never been giving Liberally to the oppressed by the oppressor, it must be STRONGLY demanded by the oppressed' therefore by 'radicalizing' our youths he is training an army of nay Sayers who will help in the struggle of biafran emancipation in the event that a war breaks out.

Having seen these strategies I am thinking that it will guarantee the break away of the Biafrans from Nigeria, though it may not be so soon, if the strategies are vigorously pursued, I can say with full confidence that we may be seeing a country yanked off from Nigeria in about 4-5 years time.

However, in all these one thing that worries my mind so much is, should an all out war break out in Nigeria ( and I need honest answers from Kanu and Biafrans) have we Biafrans a guaranteed support of supply of heavy artillery and arms from any major power in the world, e.g Russia, USA, Israel, etc. this is the only thing I think the Biafran struggle is lacking, I think every other strategy is working and in good form.

God bless Biafra!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by macof(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2015
EasternLionn:

Did you read what Cheruv said earlier?
No. Repost it cus I can't figure out wat post u talking about
Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by cheruv: 3:24pm On Sep 07, 2015
Tkester:
One thing I like about this Kanu guy, is his strategic intelligence in ensuring the Biafran dream becomes a reality!

I've listened to the guy severally and I get marveled with the way and manner he is pursuing this project, in fact I am beyond convinced that he is the right guy for the Biafran project at the moment. Just taking a glance at his speech at WIC will show him as someone who knows his onion.

First he begins by mobilizing and sensitizing the Igbos on the need to pursue their destiny, in doing so he tries to massage our egos by reminding us of how special we are as the people of Biafra ( Umu - Chineke). Anyone who is a student of psychology will know that once you instil a sense of pride and self worth into someone - pronto you've the person at your beck and call. Therefore with this ego massage, I see Biafrans rising up to their project.

Second, he forms organization of Biafrans in different countries, this will help in sensitizing the world on the need to help Nigeria avoid another war or ethnic cleansing, by giving the Biafrans an opportunity to decide through a UN backed referendum if they still want to be Nigerians or not. I know that if such vote happens today at least 80% of Biafrans will vote for the latter.

Thirdly, he instill in the mind of the Biafran youths a radicalized mindset, thereby fulfilling a popular saying which in my own estimation is a truism that states 'freedom has never been giving Liberally to the oppressed by the oppressor, it must be STRONGLY demanded by the oppressed' therefore by 'radicalizing' our youths he is training an army of nay Sayers who will help in the struggle of biafran emancipation in the event that a war breaks out.

Having seen these strategies I am thinking that it will guarantee the break away of the Biafrans from Nigeria, though it may not be so soon, if the strategies are vigorously pursued, I can say with full confidence that we may be seeing a country yanked off from Nigeria in about 4-5 years time.

However, in all these one thing that worries my mind so much is, should an all out war break out in Nigeria ( and I need honest answers from Kanu and Biafrans) have we Biafrans a guaranteed support of supply of heavy artillery and arms from any major power in the world, e.g Russia, USA, Israel, etc. this is the only thing I think the Biafran struggle is lacking, I think every other strategy is working and in good form.

God bless Biafra!
As for arms...
The Zionist regime is helping out with our air force..
As for land soldiers, we can depend on the Russians and Chinese...they're much more dependable than the Americans. The Americans are just needed for diplomatic backup, though they can help out covertly in the armament zone.
We're persistent and in God's name we'd prevail! cool
Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by PhockPhockMan: 3:43pm On Sep 07, 2015
Tkester:

God bless Biafra!

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by Tkester: 3:44pm On Sep 07, 2015
cheruv:

As for arms...
The Zionist regime is helping out with our air force..
As for land soldiers, we can depend on the Russians and Chinese...they're much more dependable than the Americans. The Americans are just needed for diplomatic backup, though they can help out covertly in the armament zone.
We're persistent and in God's name we'd prevail! cool

Bro, you see this thing keeps worrying me, to tell you the truth I believe if a war breaks out (this scenario of war is almost very likely, because Nigeria is not ready to give us Biafra freely, without a fight) I think we Biafrans will have the upper hand, and this is so because the Nigerian army has been stretched too thin and are exhausted fighting boko haram, and the economy is bleeding, in fact fighting a war is the last thing nigeria needs now, and that's the reason why I believe now is the best and most perfect time to talk about Biafra - as you may know that you attack your enemy only when he is weak and distracted.

As for your answer, what I want you to tell me is that the countries you've listed have accepted in principle to aid the Biafrans with arms should nigeria decide to go violence over our demands. If that is so, I think by now some of our youths should be on military training outside Nigeria, predictably in those countries you mentioned. Do you know if they (Biafran youths), are on any military training?

I need your answers.

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by laudate: 4:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
Obiagu1:

Which dirty, stupid referendum, biko nu??! Have the Igala or Idoma ever asked for one??! At what point did they come together en bloc, to tell you they wanted to be part of your Biafra? So what silly right do you guys have to include them in your project or your silly map? What a mendacious insult! Must they engage a translator, to repeat this objection to you in Igbo?? shocked shocked

Listen up, Igala and Idoma are not related to you people, and will never be ready to join your territory. undecided When did they ever sit down with you to agree that the geographical boundaries of their land would be included in your map?! Honestly, the arrogance of your people is astounding!! shocked shocked angry

The Edo people wear two wrappers, just like the Itsekiri. Why haven't you included them in your map? Or are you afraid that you will be sent packing like your forbears were, during the old Biafran invasion of the Mid-West??! angry

4 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by laudate: 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2015
chigoizie7:

Bros, were do u get your own MB? U get time to reply that nitwit? Biafra will make sure they include everyone it think belongs to them, but if they want to opt out? No big deal, @least no one will blame biafra for leavings its own behind when d fulani people will use dem as slaves to their cattles.

And your people will pay for it big time, if they try that crap of including the Igala and Idoma in their dreams of territorial expansion. Who born dem??!! angry The Fulani are NOT your problem. Did the Igala and Idoma ever come to beg you for help to deal with the Fulani??! shocked

So when did the Fulani recruit you as their megaphone, you nitwit??

2 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by PentiumPro(f): 4:20pm On Sep 07, 2015
laudate:

And your people will pay for it big time, if they try that crap of including the Igala and Idoma in their dreams of territorial expansion. Who born dem??!! angry The Fulani are NOT your problem. Did the Igala and Idoma ever come to beg you for help to deal with the Fulani??! shocked

You get time to engage these Biafrans in their fantasy wink

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by ArodewilliamsT: 4:27pm On Sep 07, 2015
laudate:

why don't you bother about reclaiming illorin instead of bothering about Idoma and Igala? Why lamenting more than the bereaved?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by cheruv: 4:32pm On Sep 07, 2015
Tkester:

Bro, you see this thing keeps worrying me, to tell you the truth I believe if a war breaks out (this scenario of war is almost very likely, because Nigeria is not ready to give us Biafra freely, without a fight) I think we Biafrans will have the upper hand, and this is so because the Nigerian army has been stretched too thin and are exhausted fighting boko haram, and the economy is bleeding, in fact fighting a war is the last thing nigeria needs now, and that's the reason why I believe now is the best and most perfect time to talk about Biafra - as you may know that you attack your enemy only when he is weak and distracted.

As for your answer, what I want you to tell me is that the countries you've listed have accepted in principle to aid the Biafrans with arms should nigeria decide to go violence over our demands. If that is so, I think by now some of our youths should be on military training outside Nigeria, predictably in those countries you mentioned. Do you know if they (Biafran youths), are on any military training?

I need your answers.
I know of the Zionists and the Krauts... The Soviets would be brought onboard soon.some Norsemen are offering guarantees of warplanes but not yet finalized.
Anyway negotiations are still ongoing sha

7 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by disumusa: 4:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
Omololu007:
mr man,biafra should be an ibo thing.uyo,portharcourt,warri,asaba will still be part of Nigeria
but why other tribes disassociate,distance Igbo.

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by EasternLionn: 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2015
Make no mistake, he told them pop and plain to get us unlimited amount of weapons, the army is here already, there are many US army retirees in the LA Biafran town hall meeting, I know they will easily come over to take over the military operations or even train the soldiers on ground.

All we want World Igbo Congress to do is help push our agitation diplomatically, supply us weapons and we ourselves will fight and die here.
Infact they will kill us till they get tired of killing us and will run away.
Either that we chase them into Niger, and mind you if war breaks out, all those world government esp UN will ask you why fighting again after 45 years, them you tell them that you want them to drown in Lagoon and closed their seaports, airports and marginalize them.

We don't even need any other government to talk, World Igbo Congress can lobby any government they want to lobby, plus with the help of Chief Rabbi of Us sympathetic to our cause, we will win over congress men in days.

7 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by laudate: 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2015
PentiumPro:

Don't mind their rubbish plans to include Igala & their cousins, the Idoma in their so-called Biafra. Yeye attache-by-force Igbo people! Imagine the nonsense! That fantasy is dead on arrival. The Mid-west invasion tragedy will be child's play, if they venture near the Igala. Even the Attah of Igala would not support such crap!

cc: Revolva, LastProphet, Klinee, Seekier, HisMajesty1 etc

2 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by laudate: 4:49pm On Sep 07, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

why don't you bother about reclaiming illorin instead of bothering about Idoma and Igala? Why lamenting more than the bereaved?

Direct your questions to the Yoruba people, and stop taking panadol for their headache. I didn't realise the Fulani had recruited you into their team, and made you their megaphone!! shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:03pm On Sep 07, 2015
laudate:

Which dirty, stupid referendum, biko nu??! Have the Igala or Idoma ever asked for one??! At what point did they come together en bloc, to tell you they wanted to be part of your Biafra? So what silly right do you guys have to include them in your project or your silly map? What a mendacious insult! Must they engage a translator, to repeat this objection to you in Igbo?? shocked shocked

Listen up, Igala and Idoma are not related to you people, and will never be ready to join your territory. undecided When did they ever sit down with you to agree that the geographical boundaries of their land would be included in your map?! Honestly, the arrogance of your people is astounding!! shocked shocked angry

[size=16pt]The Edo people wear two wrappers, just like the Itsekiri. Why haven't you included them in your map? Or are you afraid that you will be sent packing like your forbears were, during the old Biafran invasion of the Mid-West??! angry [/size]

They are better educated now and very wise from the Ore @ss whipping and so are afraid to include anything within proximity of Yoruba influence. You notice when they mentioned Edo they were very specific, also specific in Kogi and even Delta. Like you said, they left the two-piece wrapper women of Bini and Itsekiri alone.....

Yanmiri is careful not to get another stinging @ss whipping from Yoruba. Good strategy!

3 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by PentiumPro(f): 5:06pm On Sep 07, 2015
laudate:

Don't mind their rubbish plans to include Igala & their cousins, the Idoma in their so-called Biafra. Yeye attache-by-force Igbo people! Imagine the nonsense! That fantasy is dead on arrival. The Mid-west invasion tragedy will be child's play, if they venture near the Igala. Even the Attah of Igala would not support such crap!

cc: Revolva, LastProphet, Klinee, Seekier, HisMajesty1 etc

They don't learn anything. The same desire to co-opt other tribes that did not clearly expressed any desire to leave the Nigeria union in 1967 into Biafra then is what is playing out now, trying to rope tribes that have no desire into Biafra.

4 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

Ilorin remains till today a Yorubaland in Northern region and with a Fulani throne. Politically, its no different from Iboland and Port Harcourt, where the Ijaws confiscated your properties and chased you ot of your land and then renamed it an changed the language of the land.

Politically you are worse.off in Port Harcourt than Yorubas are in Ilorin.

The Yorubas of Ilorin remain the land barons. Whereas in PortHarcourt land ownership was denied to Ibo.

Worry about discrimination against Ibo in nearby PortHarcourt before worrying on throne tussle between Yoruba and Fulani in faraway Ilorin.

3 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by laudate: 5:22pm On Sep 07, 2015
PentiumPro:

Their arrogance is astounding!! They have been told in clear, unmistakable terms to back off and remove the Igala and Idoma from their fool-hardy project. Instead, they keep behaving like deaf ostriches.

Please read this short history of Igala people and tell me if they can ever have anything in common with Biafra:

Igala is a language of the Yoruboid branch of the Volta–Niger language family, spoken by the Igala ethnic group of Nigeria. In 1989, an estimated 800,000 spoke Igala, primarily in Kogi State, Delta State and Edo State.

Dialects include Ebu, Idah, Ankpa, Dekina, Ogugu, Ibaji, Ife. The Agatu, Idoma, and Bassa people use Igala for primary school. Igala is related to Yoruba. The Igala language as well as Igala culture and tradition has influenced other languages and cultures around the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igala_language

The Igalas are ruled by a figure called the “Attah”. The word Attah means ‘Father’ and the full title of the ruler is ‘Attah Igala’, meaning, the Father of Igalas (the Igala word for King is Onu). Although “Attah” means “father”‘, female rulership is recognized and Igala has had female rulers in the past (Boston 1968). Among the most revered Attahs of the Igala kingdom are Attah Ayegba Oma Idoko and Atta Ameh Oboni. According to oral tradition, Attah Ayegba Oma Idoko offered his most beloved daughter, Inikpi to ensure that the Igalas win a war of liberation from the Jukuns’ dominance. Attah Ameh Oboni is known to be very brave and resolute. He is revered for his stiff resistance of the British and his struggles to uphold some ancient traditions of the Igalas. When he got wind of a plan to depose and exile him by the British, he committed suicide by hanging himself to forestall the plan, he is regarded by most Igalas as the last real Attah Igala.

Origin

The traditional Igala society is largely agrarian, although fishing is also a mainstay of the people especially the Igalas of the riverine Idah area.

Boston (1968) believes that the central geographical location of the Igala people has exposed them to a wide variety of linguistic as well as cultural influences from other ethnic groups in the country. Notable among these are the Igbira, the Bini, the Igbo, the Hausa, the Idoma and the Yoruba ethnic groups. However, the most significant relationship, by far, is that between the Igala and the Yoruba peoples.

Igala and Yoruba have important historical and cultural relationships. The languages of the two ethnic groups bear such a close resemblance that researchers such as Forde (1951) and Westermann and Bryan (1952) regarded Igala as a dialect of Yoruba.

Akinkugbe (1976,1978) is of the opinion that based on evidence, Igala is neither a dialect of Yoruba nor a language resulting from the fusion of Yoruba and Idoma as claimed by Silverstein, but rather Igala shares a “common ancestor” with Yoruba. In her words, “… this common ancestor was neither Yoruba nor Igala but what we have labeled here as Proto-Yoruba-Itsekiri–Igala (PYIG). The evidence suggest further that presumably, Igala separated form the group before the split of Yoruba into the present day Yoruba dialects considering the extent of linguistic divergence found between Igala on one hand, and the rest of Yoruba on the other” (1978: 32) Akinkugbe cites lexicostatistic evidence as well as evidence of sound shifts and lexical innovations as support or corroboration of this claim.

Other comparative works aimed at investigating the language status of Igala (directly and indirectly) are Omamor (1967) and Williamson (1973). In fact, Williamson is the originator of the label ‘Yoruboid’ for the group of languages comprising Yoruba, Itsekiri and Igala for the purpose of distinguishing “between Yoruba as a language on the one hand, and Yoruba, Itsekiri and Igala as a genetic group on the other”. (Akinkugbe 1976:1) Akinkugbe refers to the proto- language of the group as Proto-Yoruboid in 1976 and Proto-Yoruba-Itsekiri-Igala (PYIG) in 1978. ....

The Ata-ship of Igala (the Ata is not ‘Atta of Idah’ but ‘Atta of Igala’) rotated among four branches of the royal clan. Igala kingdom was founded by Abutu- Eje in the 7th century. Abutu-Eje came down with the people from the Kwararafa kingdom about 100 years they came to settle there in kwararafa from Yemen along Jukuns people. The kingdom was ruled by nine high officials called the Igala Mela who are custodians of the sacred Earth shrine...

https://profcollinson./2013/03/12/the-history-of-igala-kindom/
http://igalapedia.com/education-and-re-orientation-of-igala-cultural-values/

If Yoruba people had tried to claim close ties with Igala, they might even have been forgiven, but for Igbo to try and co-opt Igala and Idoma into their project by force through the back door, is unthinkable - an unwanted intrusion that should be rejected on the spot!. undecided

4 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by xmich(m): 5:40pm On Sep 07, 2015
mrvitalis:
I support baifra... . but not a baifra lead by this man.. .. .. .
Baifra is not an all igbo thing. .. .. . All the ethnic groups involved must come to terms
... . First of all the capital of baifra must be in port Harcourt... .. or uyo.. ..
.. .. It first president must also not be igbo...
.. ... Make the south south feel the way they want to be
... .. in baifra will all state control there resources? Or will it be the way we have it in Nigeria
... .. We need the south south.. . Not for there oil... No.. But to have access to the sea.. .. .. . They need us also because of our man power
... . Baifra I will support is a baifra were each state will control there resources and be free.
Pot of garbage

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession by IGBOPRINCE: 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2015
This laudate of a thing jus dey rants.. Mention your state and be proud of where yu came from boi..

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Samuel Mariere Takes Farming As Hobby & As A Business / Could This Be The Worst Road In Delta State? Photos / Tinubu Meets Danjuma Goja In Makkah During Iftar(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.