Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,677 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? (12876 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? / Since When Did Boko Haram 'attacks' Become Equivalent To A 'take Over' ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 12:35am On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by bawomolo(m): 12:36am On Apr 08, 2009
If you say so.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 12:37am On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by bawomolo(m): 12:38am On Apr 08, 2009
here we go.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by lacrimose(f): 12:40am On Apr 08, 2009
Why is everyone cursing each other out! Nah wah oh

PhD from MIT is serious
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by netotse(m): 12:46am On Apr 08, 2009
omo if ndi okereke can be named a professor then i dont see any reason why ngozi okonjo-iweala's own shld be a problem
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by udezue(m): 12:49am On Apr 08, 2009
Che che che  

Ndi Anioma Kwenu!!!!!!

Ndi Ika kwenu!!!!!

Umu Igbo KWEZUENU!!!!!!!!!!

Becomehaterz always gon hate on us. Pathetic egbeomoduduwa fool. grin
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:30am On Apr 08, 2009
From Chi-chi Okonjo, brother to Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala:

Furthermore, he hints that being in the midst of women isn‘t something that is strange to him. ”I have very strong sisters; one used to be a minister of finance and the other a medical doctor and professor. So, I have never felt uncomfortable being with women and I have four daughters,” he explains. Source: Punch on the web

Let me breakdown the above for the not-so-bright tilapia on this forum:

Chi-chi Okonjo stated that he has two sisters, A and B:
1. A used to be "a minster of finance"
2. B is a medical doctor
3. B is a professor

Common sense (not common in tilapia land grin) deductions from 1-3 above:
4. B was not a minister of finance
5. A is not a medical doctor
6. A is not a professor

Homework:
1. Which of the two sisters (A or B) is Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala? (10 points)
2. The probability that a tilapia can comprehend simple human logic? (Priceless!) grin
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:49am On Apr 08, 2009
netotse:

omo if ndi okereke can be named a professor then i dont see any reason why ngozi okonjo-iweala's own shld be a problem

Being a professor is not like being awarded a chieftaincy title by one's bevy of admirers.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by adconline(m): 4:39am On Apr 08, 2009
It's easier being a prof in US colleges than having a Ph.D from MIT.
tpia
Why dont you show us the name of school she has taught to be called a professor. Most highly educated folks who teach in colleges would rather prefer Dr. than Prof.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 5:07am On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by biina: 6:35am On Apr 08, 2009
tpia:

Once again, I'm not the one who made the wikipedia entry. I asked Richyblack a simple question which was on what basis is he making his claim that Okonjo Iweala is not a professor. So far he has absolutely zero evidence to substantiate his wild allegations on this thread.

He saw a wiki entry calling Iweala a Professor. He immediately jumped to the conclusion that because he wasnt informed, therefore she must not be a professor. I asked him to investigate by checking with her institutions (since he's so bothered). He responded by saying he "corrected" the wiki entry and "downgraded" her to Dr. These dont sound like the actions of a sober individual, if you ask me.

so if I say one of my brothers is a scientist and the other one is a professor, that means both professions are mutually exclusive, right?

Do you even know the meaning of mutually exclusive?

bad belle no go kill you.
No. What it means is that your brother, who is a scientist, is not a professor.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by biina: 7:03am On Apr 08, 2009
tpia:

you're still missing the point!!!!!!

Give your brain a rest abeg!!! You're overworking yourself- stop before smoke starts coming out of your ears!!!

[b]None of you has produced any evidence she's not a professor. [/b]All you're doing to beating aronud the bush in an attempt to prove she's not.

Watch that show called Are you smarter than a fifth grader!
I believe this should put things to rest. The evidence shown below is a brief biography from the worldbank's website http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,,contentMDK:21687298~pagePK:64257043~piPK:437376~theSitePK:4607,00.html

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is presently a Managing Director of the World Bank.

From June to August 2006, she was Minister of Foreign Affairs of Nigeria, overseeing Nigeria’s External Relations.  From July 2003 to June 2006 she served as Minister of Finance and Economy of Nigeria and Head of Nigeria's much acclaimed Presidential Economic team responsible for implementing a comprehensive home grown economic reform program that stabilized the macro-economy and tripled the growth rate to an average 6 percent per annum over 3 years. Her achievements as Finance Minister garnered international recognition for improving Nigeria’s financial stability and fostering greater fiscal transparency to combat corruption. In October 2005, she led the Nigerian team that negotiated the cancellation of US $18 billion or 60 percent of Nigeria’s external debt with the Paris Club.  The debt deal also included an innovative buy-back mechanism that wiped out Nigeria’s Paris club debt and reduced the country’s external indebtedness from US$35 to US$5 billion.  Dr. Okonjo-Iweala oversaw Nigeria’s first ever Sovereign credit rating of BB- from Fitch and Standard and Poor’s—a rating that grouped Nigeria with other emerging market countries such as Brazil, Vietnam, Venezuela, and Philippines.

Previously, she pursued a 21-year career as a development economist at the World Bank, where she held the post of Vice President and Corporate Secretary. This included two tours of duty (six years) working in the East Asia Region, the last tour (1997-2000) as Country Director Malaysia, Mongolia, Laos and Cambodia during the East Asian financial crisis; two duty tours in the  Middle East Region, the last (2000-2003) as Director, Operations (deputy vice-president) of the region. Dr Okonjo-Iweala also served as Director of Institutional Change and Strategy (1995-1997). In this post she assisted with the implementation of the Bank’s reform agenda.  From 1989 to 1991 she was Special assistant to the Senior Vice President, Operations, an assignment that enabled participation in high level policy formulation and discussions for countries as diverse as China and Burkina Faso.

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala was educated at Harvardand has a PhD in Regional Economics and Development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She is fluent in French, Ibo and English with working knowledge of Yoruba.  She has received numerous awards, including Honorary Doctorate of Letters from University of Dublin, Trinity College, 2007, Honorary Doctorate of Laws from Colby College, 2007 and Brown University, 2006, Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Northern Caribbean University, Mandeville, Jamaica, 2005, Time Magazine’s European Hero of the Year Award, 2004, for her work on economic reform in Nigeria, Euromoney Magazine Global Finance Minister of the year, 2005, Financial Times/The Banker African Finance Minister of the year 2005, This Day (Nigeria’s premier newspaper) Minister of the Year award 2004 and 2005. 

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala is a member or chair of numerous boards and advisory groups, including DATA, the World Resources Institute, the Clinton Global Initiative, the Nelson Mandela Institution, Friends of the Global Fund Africa, and the African Institute of Science and Technology.  She has served as adviser to several international investment groups working in emerging markets and lectured on Africa and development all over the world.  Dr. Okonjo-Iweala was the founder of the first ever indigenous opinion research organization in Nigeria (NOI Polls) in partnership with the Gallup organization, which strives to strengthen democracy and accountability in Nigeria. She was co-founder of the Makeda Fund, a US$50 million private equity fund designed to invest in women-owned and women-influenced small and medium enterprises in Africa.

She is married to surgeon Dr. Ikemba Iweala and they have four children.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by kaygee1234: 9:00am On Apr 08, 2009
udezue:

Che che che

Ndi Anioma Kwenu!!!!!!

Ndi Ika kwenu!!!!!

Umu Igbo KWEZUENU!!!!!!!!!!

Becomehaterz always gon hate on us. Pathetic egbeomoduduwa fool. grin

Another opportunistic idiot. People are arguing wisely but you just clipped that stupid tribalistic line. This thread is not about tribe but about the average Nigerian's love for big fat titles attaches to their names. Would you ever get it?
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by presido1: 9:36am On Apr 08, 2009
kaygee1234:

Another opportunistic idiot. People are arguing wisely but you just clipped that stupid tribalistic line. This thread is not about tribe but about the average Nigerian's love for big fat titles attaches to their names. Would you ever get it?
You have just shown that hatred the guy u quoted wrote about. Did you not see becomerich post b4 his? If you should criticize him of tribalism why not criticise becomerich first. You were quick to quote him cuz you saw IGBO in what he wrote.

@Poster
Has she ever addressed herself as professor b4? From all indication she is not one.
Getting PHD from an institution doesn't make you a prof from that institution.
You have to be in academic line 4 at least 10 yrs(Nigerian case) and have done many reseach to get that accolade.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by noetic(m): 11:21am On Apr 08, 2009
I love this thread grin grin grin grin grin grin

and i love all the bashing and counter bashing grin grin shocked shocked grin shocked cool
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by kaygee1234: 11:32am On Apr 08, 2009
presido1:

You have just shown that hatred the guy u quoted wrote about. Did you not see becomerich post b4 his? If you should criticize him of tribalism why not criticise becomerich first. You were quick to quote him cuz you saw IGBO in what he wrote.
My bad for not noticing that from Becomrich, and in that case, I put both of them in the same category of tribalists because it's definitely uncalled for. By the way, it's not personal hatred but being unbiased about my comment. I hope you reason except you're another closet tribalist.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by spikedcylinder: 12:21pm On Apr 08, 2009
I don't see what this thread has to do with jealousy or what nots. Forget your past piffs at each other and focus on the original question will you? Ngozi Okonjo Iweala obtained her Phd from MIT. Fine. Between then and now, when did she become a Professor? Simple.

P.S Become Rich is a hilarious morafuka! cheesy cheesy
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Pataki: 12:35pm On Apr 08, 2009
troll, the burden of proof doesnt rest with me.  get that hammered into your head. I didnt make the wiki entry and neither am I the one who jealously started this thread.

If your detractor opens a thread saying pataki never graduated primary school yet wiki claims he's a school cert, then its up to your detractor to prove his claims. He can check with the office that issued your certificate to see if its real or fake.

If he decides to just make wild claims about you awarding yourself fake titles, then that amounts to slander and nothing more!!
tpia, the burden of proof is now on you. We are more than convinced, she is not a Professor. Various reasons and explanations have been given in respect to that. The onus now lies on you, to convincingly show us that Okonjo-Iweala is a Professor. All this noise you are making is irrelevant. You did not start the thread, and neither did you make the entry on wikipedia, but you rather audaciously tag those who question her title as ''bad belle.'' I would like you to validate your claim that truly it is ''bad belle'' on the part of the poster to incite this kind of thread.

Is it not amazing all you have been doing is typing and typing the same thing without any supporting statement(s) to all what you have been typing?

Where is your proof to indicate that it is ''bad belle'' on the part of RichyBlack and several others on the acclaimed Professor title-ship to Okonjo-Iweala?

Without any substantial reference to a valid web-link, you are nothing but a noisemaker on this thread.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by presido1: 4:39pm On Apr 08, 2009
kaygee1234:

My bad for not noticing that from Becomrich, and in that case, I put both of them in the same category of tribalists because it's definitely uncalled for. By the way, it's not personal hatred but being unbiased about my comment. I hope you reason except you're another closet tribalist.
I refereed you to becomerich for you to understand why that guy posted that. Good enuf u have seen the reason behind that. Let me take it that you are not biased but just an honest mistake. Cheers
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:48pm On Apr 08, 2009
presido1:

I refereed you to becomerich for you to understand why that guy posted that. Good enuf u have seen the reason behind that. Let me take it that you are not biased but just an honest mistake. Cheers

How I wish more humans would learn to resolve misunderstandings/conflicts/problems/issues this way! Thanks.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by mustafar1: 5:44pm On Apr 08, 2009
RichyBlacK:

How I wish more humans would learn to resolve misunderstandings/conflicts/problems/issues this way! Thanks.

IMPOSSICANT! why do that when it would be easier to call names and throw unwarranted curses at whoever is around. do we need to do a poll to find out who and who would rather try to understand who they are debating instead of calling them names at the first response?
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 5:53pm On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by romeo(m): 6:01pm On Apr 08, 2009
Biina did a good work. Tankiyu for that investigation.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 6:30pm On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by biina: 8:53pm On Apr 08, 2009
tpia:

no it does not. Nowhere in my statement did I imply my scientist brother cant also be a professor.
You implied it by attaching the professorship specifically to the latter, hereby excluding the former. Unless your in the Bill Clinton school of personalized interpretation of English phrases, the meaning of the statement is quite clear.
English language is not as complicated as you make it seem.

as for your other post, I hope you noticed the addendum after the bio:

with a link to people who can give you further information.

Ever heard of updates?

What are the steps of scientific enquiry? Rumor and innuendo?  or is it oversabi?
I did notice the link but I do not need 'further information' as the information provided answered my question.
The biography was updated when she became an MD of the World bank. What other updates are you expecting, the one about what would happen in the future? undecided

Your tenacity while impressive, doesn't count towards proving your point. The fact that no one else is supporting your position, should be a sufficient hint that you are in the wrong.
Please get over your ego and move on.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 9:12pm On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Pataki: 9:18pm On Apr 08, 2009
tpia, can you even see your hypocrisy in the open? You know how to quickly ferret wikipedia to back-up your ''types of professor''. But a simple search to show us where you saw Okonjo-Iweala as a fellow at a college or institute as you stated since yesterday is no where to be found on this thread. grin

Well-done oh! Your ''sagacity'' is astonishing. grin
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 9:22pm On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by bawomolo(m): 9:24pm On Apr 08, 2009
I don't know why it's hard for people to discuss without insults.

She considers herself a Doctor and the claim of her being a Professor on Wikipedia is wrong.

We are still waiting for the information on her fellowship. It's not about being bad belle or jealous, just trying not to misinform people who read wiki's.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpia: 9:26pm On Apr 08, 2009
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by bawomolo(m): 9:31pm On Apr 08, 2009
tpia:

what's insulting about you contacting the legitimate and sensible sources to enquire about this issue which worries you so much?

You naijas take the medal for pigheadedness in addition to bad belle!!

calling people, illiterates pigheaded blah blah blah is insulting. We get it already, you are smarter than all of us.

there is no mention of her being part of a faculty in her World bank profile. Except she is concurrently teaching somewhere while being MD of the World Bank, there is no need to ask for updates or "legitimate" sources. I guess the World Bank isn't a legitimate or sensible source to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Can You Vote Fashola For President In 2015? / $2.1b Arms Deals: Anxiety In Jonathan’s Camp Over Likely Arrest Of More Suspects / Budget Padding: Gbajabiamila Distances Self, Calls For Calm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.