Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? (12877 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? / Since When Did Boko Haram 'attacks' Become Equivalent To A 'take Over' ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:41pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

thanks for the link to full professor,we do not use that in,nigeria/commonwealth but useful to know.
but you digress

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor

you know what the main issue is

i asked a question without making any claims about soludo

You are a monkey. Canada is in the Commonwealth. Now get lost, you tabula rasa
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

So he can go back to it. But since he is not currently a Prof at UNN (correct me if I am wrong) or any other institution, it would be incorrect to call him Professor Soludo.

Dr. Soludo, yes. Prof Soludo, no.

But I guess Nigerians generally don't care about this distinction.

very sagacious answer.what does this have to do with yorubas?
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:49pm On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

So he can go back to it. But since he is not currently a Prof at UNN (correct me if I am wrong) or any other institution, it would be incorrect to call him Professor Soludo.

Dr. Soludo, yes. Prof Soludo, no.

But I guess Nigerians generally don't care about this distinction.
Do you mean he should not be called ''Full Professor'' (sarcasm) Soludo or ''Professor'' Soludo? The man is still a visiting Prof in the UK and US, as we speak. He was here recently as a visiting Prof. In any case, Prof means different things in the UK (Nigeria) and the U.S. In the U.S., it is more loosely used such that anyone that professes (teaches) or researches at some higher level education can be called a prof.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Apr 22, 2011
monkey wow!
well you said it.
it must be true
yea
you are right i overlooked (mea culpa)canada but canada is an exception and their conventions are more american than in line with the rest of the  commonwealth. at any rate soludo is not a professor in canada or is he??
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 22, 2011
in britain visiting profs do not use the title PROF either Mr or Dr whichever applies
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:51pm On Apr 22, 2011
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by SEFAGO(m): 10:52pm On Apr 22, 2011
@Iwonbaoko
You are partially correct. I never said otherwise, I was just surprised that Madam Tpia could not just say she was wrong, when she was obviously wrong. I wasnt referring to you. Just chill.

@ZnO
Soludo does not teach currently so he is not a professor. You think say na alaigbo chieftaincy title?

What happened to your previous moniker?

@PhysicsMHD
Yeah I know he was professor, but I thought he was a visiting professor. Wrong on that point though. Endowed professors slipped my mind actually since they are rare in the sciences but very common in the humanities. I usually think of professors as those who started at the bottom and move to full.

Anyways getting a PhD is much much easier than getting tenure
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 22, 2011
@ZNO
and you say you are superior
tell me your name and by tomorrow you will be a prof on wikipedia
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:55pm On Apr 22, 2011
SEFAGO:

@ZnO
Soludo does not teach currently so he is not a professor. You think say na alaigbo chieftaincy title?

Says who? He is a visiting prof and he teaches students, not goats.
Since he lost his gubernatorial bid, he has taught at least twice here in the US.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:57pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

in britain visiting profs do not use the title PROF either Mr or Dr whichever applies

Who cares about Britain?
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 22, 2011
you are daft.

we are talking about nigeria which follows british conventions

nna this is not shop matter.concentrate

the funny thing is it is the same in the US as far as usage of Professor with a capital P
goes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor
you are out of your depth here

OMATA guy
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 22, 2011
only full professors in the US use Professor
which soludo is not
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 22, 2011
according to your US defn is soludo a FULL professor

yes or no
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ektbear: 11:10pm On Apr 22, 2011
ZnO:

Do you mean he should not be called ''Full Professor'' (sarcasm) Soludo or ''Professor'' Soludo? The man is still a visiting Prof in the UK and US, as we speak.
Visiting professor at which university? I thought he left academia and is working in private industry now?

He was here recently as a visiting Prof.
Which university?

In any case, Prof means different things in the UK (Nigeria) and the U.S. In the U.S., it is more loosely used such that anyone that professes (teaches) or researches at some higher level education can be called a prof.
In the US, no. Non-tenure track academics in the US are not called professor. Tenure track assistant/associate/full profs, yes. But non-tenure track guys, no. At least from what I know. Even people with the title "Research Professor", if non-tenured you don't call them Prof. You just call them "Doctor so-and-so."
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 11:13pm On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

Visiting professor at which university? I thought he left academia and is working in private industry now?
Which university?
In the US, no. Non-tenure track academics in the US are not called professor. Tenure track assistant/associate/full profs, yes. But non-tenure track guys, no. At least from what I know. Even people with the title "Research Professor", if non-tenured you don't call them Prof. You just call them "Doctor so-and-so."

My University (and he will be coming again soon) and I will not be mentioning it. Thanks.
Does anyone even care who calls them Prof here? We all simply go by the title Dr., be you Full Prof, Associate or Assistant Prof.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ektbear: 11:20pm On Apr 22, 2011
ZnO:

My University (and he will becoming again soon) and I will not be mentioning it. Thanks.
I'll take you at your word, then. Though I guess I could just track it down via google.

Does anyone even care who calls them Prof here? We all simply go by the title Dr., be you Full Prof, Associate or Assistant Prof.
Heh, I just call them by their first name if I'm close enough. . . these guys usually aren't very haughty. But if not close enough, I'll call a prof a prof, and a doctor a doctor. If we are being formal, I won't call a doctor a prof.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 11:20pm On Apr 22, 2011
These full-time faculty members engage in both undergraduate and graduate teaching, mentoring, research, and service. Only faculty in these positions are eligible for tenure.

Assistant professor: An introductory level professor. A position generally taken after receiving PhD and/or completing a post-doctoral fellowship. After 4–8 years, assistant professors will be either tenured or dismissed from the university.
   Associate professor: A mid-level, usually tenured, professor.
   Professor (sometimes referred to as "full professor"wink: a senior, tenured professor.
   Distinguished professor / endowed chair (e.g., "the John Q. Smith Professor of Physics"wink: An honorary position in which a full professor's salary is increased by being tied to an endowment derived from the university, private individuals, firms, or foundations.

The common denominator is the word professor
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 22, 2011
the issue here is accuracy??

what is the correct thing
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 11:22pm On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'll take you at your word, then. Though I guess I could just track it down via google.

Feel free to help yourself.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 11:25pm On Apr 22, 2011
Noun 1. visiting professor - a professor visiting another college or university to teach for a limited time

(Social Science / Education) (Business / Professions) a professor invited to teach in a college or university other than his own, often in another country, for a certain period.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/visiting+professor

Still a professor, nevertheless.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 22, 2011
no
just like god and GOD connote different things
so with prof and PROF
one is a Title like Bishop and the other a description like priest
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:28pm On Apr 22, 2011
grin grin

This thread is still going?

@ iwonbaoko, are you aribisala0 by any chance?
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Apr 22, 2011
pretty much everyone who is a professor in the US is a lecturer in Nigerian/British parlance
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 22, 2011
who??
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 11:30pm On Apr 22, 2011
''Full professor'' Soludo
''Visiting professor'' Soludo

He is a professor. QED
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

who??

Never mind then. My mistake.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
yes Dr.Soludo is a professor
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by SEFAGO(m): 11:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
My University (and he will be coming again soon) and I will not be mentioning it. Thanks.

Kai you dey lie no be small.

Femi Kuti "Kai Na lie lie full the world, see how lie go dey jump from mouth, like water rush from pump, the way people dey lie, dey no dey fear dem God, the way people dey lie, dey no dey fear them shrine"

Loved this song on grand theft auto

Your hand will just pain ya. He has been only a visiting prof once abroad. Be rest assured that if Soludo is teaching anywhere he will promptly put it on his CV and trumpet the crap out of it. Moreover look at his publications (If you can call them academic). They are not spectacular enough for him to be an economics visiting professor at a decent place.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 11:36pm On Apr 22, 2011
SEFAGO:

Your hand will just pain ya. He has been only a visiting prof once abroad. Be rest assured that if Soludo is teaching anywhere he will promptly put it on his CV and trumpet the crap out of it. Moreover look at his publications (If you can call them academic). They are not spectacular enough for him to be an economics visiting professor at a decent place.

Dr Soludo has been visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fund, the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford and a visiting professor at Swarthmore College (USA). He has also worked as a consultant for a number of international organizations, including The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme.

http://www.cenbank.org/AboutCBN/TheBoard.asp?Name=Prof.+Chukwuma+C.+Soludo%2C+CFR&Biodata=soludo
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ektbear: 11:36pm On Apr 22, 2011
It depends on the circumstance of being a visiting prof.

You derive your "power" (so to speak) from your home institution. If you have no home institution and are a "visiting prof", I'll call you doctor.

Take this guy for example: http://www.nd.edu/~mbroshi/Broshi_CV.pdf

His title is "Visiting Assistant Professor", but he is forced to teach a sh1tload of classes, doesn't have any students, and doesn't have tenure anywhere. And isn't tenure track. He is basically a glorified post-doc.

If I meet him, I'll call him "Doctor."

Soludo no longer has a full-time home at a university. He seems to have largely left academia, aside from possibly some short-term visits. So he is no longer a "Professor."

If he rejoins UNN or some other university on a full-time basis (as a tenured professor), the right thing to do would be to call him professor. But while he is out in industry making money or whatever he is doing, it would be weird.

Anyway, it isn't a big deal. It doesn't mean I disrespect or don't like him. . . but you cannot claim more than what you are due.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Apr 22, 2011
actually
i am not trying  to rubbish soludo
i do not know anything about him.
i believe the same applies to wole soyinka,though not sure.
i do not think he is a PROF
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ektbear: 11:40pm On Apr 22, 2011
Ultimately, this is a dumb discussion and a waste of time

Dude, Nchara if you are in academia you know the rules, how the pecking order works (at least in the US.) I dunno why you are pretending as if you don't.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cabinet Reshuffle: Presidency Taps Senate Ahead Of Resumption / The Full List Of All The 371 Tribes In Nigeria And States / Presidential Tribunal : My Father Told Me Atiku Is Born Nigerian- Pdp’s Witness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.