Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,827 members, 7,831,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? (12896 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Who Made Osinbajo A Professor At Unilag? / Since When Did Boko Haram 'attacks' Become Equivalent To A 'take Over' ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by dnex(m): 2:47pm On Jun 23, 2009
My fellow Nigerians, let's stop posting crap on Wikipedia.
People of a community want to be represented on the largest encyclopedia, they should make their entries according to the format with which others prior to them have worked.

People from Japan, Germany and Spain would talk about their environment, their history, sights to see, monuments, ancient rulers, foods and cultures, these people went there to be name-dropping: 'former governorship aspirant', 'first African to lift the world cup'. This is all rubbish.

Do you people even imagine how a Frenchman or a Brazilian would feel when he reads about the first African to lift the world cup coming from Anioma? Knowing full well that it was just some ceremonial lifting.

Please, we should be less petty on the internet and not trivialise our entire being in front of the whole world. Let's be more realist, mature, and above all, let the truth be told.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by tpiah: 3:37pm On Jun 23, 2009
dnex:

My fellow Nigerians, let's stop posting crap on Wikipedia.
People of a community want to be represented on the largest encyclopedia, they should make their entries according to the format with which others prior to them have worked.

People from Japan, Germany and Spain would talk about their environment, their history, sights to see, monuments, ancient rulers, foods and cultures, these people went there to be name-dropping: 'former governorship aspirant', 'first African to lift the world cup'. This is all rubbish.

Do you people even imagine how a Frenchman or a Brazilian would feel when he reads about the first African to lift the world cup coming from Anioma? Knowing full well that it was just some ceremonial lifting.
Please, we should be less petty on the internet and not trivialise our entire being in front of the whole world. Let's be more realist, mature, and above all, let the truth be told.

@ bolded

I wonder if some mischevious persons added that there- wouldnt put it beyond certain people on this site. I didnt see it before, when this thread started.

However, I checked and it seems he was the captain of the Nigerian team that won the 1985 Fifa Under 17 World Cup. If that's what the wiki entry meant to imply, then its a simple case of a grammer typo. One shouldnt automatically assume the poster actually meant to exaggerate though of course thats possible.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/mcu17/ip-206_01e_u-17nwe_14163.pdf

Just yesterday someone was pointing out a senator's bad grammer: "I opened CNN" et al. Its on a thread somewhere.

anyway, I've learnt to use other sources besides wiki thanks to nairalanders. Some people have midas touch which turns things to gold while others have the opposite which applies to some Naijas when it comes to wiki.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 22, 2011
a professorship is a chair in a university NOT a title like alhaji or chief.if you vacate the chair you cease to be a professor ,that is the academic tradition. unless you are made an emeritus professor .
of course there is the nigerian tradition where people who vacate chairs continue to be called prof or even musicians like kollington or magicians like professor peller are also professors.
quite confusing i must agree
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by SEFAGO(m): 4:57pm On Apr 22, 2011
This is one of the top ten daftest threads I have seen with madam Tpia arguing blindly about the obvious. Everyone/Anyone with commonsense knows Okonjo-iweala joined the world bank immediately after her PhD and ran towards a career with a certain a nice 6 figure salary instead of wallowing in middle-class hell as an academic (Professor)
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 22, 2011
did not know that. grin grin grin
guess i have no common sense.
point is whether or not she has ever been a prrofessor she is NOT now.
it is a job/position title like GOC or chief of army staff etc
that you drop when you quit
not a title for life
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 22, 2011
did not know that. grin grin grin
guess i have no common sense.
point is whether or not she has ever been a prrofessor she is NOT now.
it is a job/position title like GOC or chief of army staff etc
that you drop when you quit
not a title for life
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by SEFAGO(m): 5:18pm On Apr 22, 2011
^ Pretty much intuitive and you also dont have to state the obvious do you?. Its a job and not an academic qualification. I think everyone knows this. Its just Nigerian culture to refer to those who have held academic positions at one point of their lives as Professors. Like people keep calling Soludo professor though he has never been a tenure track professor and has just held mostly visiting positions. Achebe is also a visiting professor.

I think people should also learn to distinguish between the hierarchy of academia in the US and in other countries like Africa/Europe. Professor in the latter could take close to 30 years while full professor in the former could take 5-10 years.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 22, 2011
you are now in the business of telling me what i ought to be doing?
ok just one second i'll check who pays my phone bill,
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 22, 2011
em
computer says i pay
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:50pm On Apr 22, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ Pretty much intuitive and you also dont have to state the obvious do you?. Its a job and not an academic qualification. I think everyone knows this. Its just Nigerian culture to refer to those who have held academic positions at one point of their lives as Professors. Like people keep calling Soludo professor though he has never been a tenure track professor and has just held mostly visiting positions. Achebe is also a visiting professor.

I think people should also learn to distinguish between the hierarchy of academia in the US and in other countries like Africa/Europe. Professor in the latter could take close to 30 years while full professor in the former could take 5-10 years.

Looked around, and it seems Achebe is an actual professor, with an endowed chair.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 22, 2011
ona don come which one be it seems?
im get chia or e no get and where??

anyway u dey normally talk sense so i no go too attack you
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:28pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

ona don come which one be it seems?
im get chia or e no get and where??

anyway u dey normally talk sense so i no go too attack you

seem  (sm)
intr.v. seemed, seem·ing, seems
1. To give the impression of being; appear: The child seems healthy, but the doctor is concerned.
2. To appear to one's own opinion or mind: I can't seem to get the story straight.
3. To appear to be true, probable, or evident: It seems you object to the plan. It seems like rain. He seems to have worked in sales for several years.
4. To appear to exist: There seems no reason to postpone it.

There was nothing wrong with my wording there.

As for the university at which Achebe is a professor, a simple Google search would answer that.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 22, 2011
clearly u have nothing to contribute to my life today
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:54pm On Apr 22, 2011
I improved your understanding of the interpretation of one word in the English language. That's a big enough contribution for the day.

Now you know that when one person asserts (A)

and somebody else says it seems (B) is actually the case,

then that person who states (B) is not merely saying that it's possible that (B) is the case, but is actually saying that it appears that (B) is the case.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 7:59pm On Apr 22, 2011
SEFAGO:

Which Achebe is not a full professor? And which Soludo is not a full professor (who was a full prof at UNN, as well as visiting prof all over the world)?

So much for Yoruba misinformation.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 22, 2011
zno
nna ha makate?? you lock shop
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Apr 22, 2011
i know some igbo people who use nairaland and understand the issues.
perhaps they might explain to you about chairs,tenure and that sort of thing.

a bit different from the way you run things in OMATA
they might also explain the difference between is and was a rather fine and challenging distinction i confess.

da lu .oo
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

i know some igbo people who use nairaland and understand the issues.
perhaps they might explain to you about chairs,tenure and that sort of thing.

a bit different from the way you run things in OMATA
they might also explain the difference between is and was a rather fine and challenging distinction  i confess.

da lu .oo

What a dumbo!!
Was Soludo not a full professor at the UNN before he dabbled into politics?
Is Achebe not currently a full prof with an endowed chair at Brown University, RI?
Talking about me the manner you did will only land you in trouble
I am far, far more qualified than the entirety of your generation. Anu ofia.

BTW, they do not start sentences with small letters, you functional illiterate AKA ewure Yoruba.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 22, 2011
qualified??for what
read the thread. nna no need to be unruly.you lot are known for your indifference to etiquette so i will accommodate you.
no one said soludo was not a professor previously.
the point is ,is he now?? and is it still appropriate to call him one whether he occupies a chair.simple query without polemic.
your response "yoruba misinformation". what does yorubaness have to do with the issue.
you talk about my family and qualifications. well i know you and your people.
we lead you follow.scholarship is quite different from rabble rousing. i will not indulge your insecurity but believe me if you had another life you would still be behind.

go lock shop naaaaaa
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 22, 2011
they do not start, etc(who is they? onye ocha?? grin grin

a construction alien to modern grammar and most likely a translation from your igboid thinking.

nothing wrong with that in general except you are not really in a position to pontificate about matters beyond your grasp.for those genuinely immersed in the language,like me,to enlighten philistines like [b]you.[/b]the internet conventions permit it.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2011

a construction alien to modern grammar and  most likely a translation from your igboid thinking.

nothing wrong with that in general except you are not really in a position to pontificate about matters beyond your grasp.for those genuinely immersed in the language,like me,to enlighten philistines like [b]you.[/b]the internet conventions permit it.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 8:50pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

qualified??for what
read the thread. nna no need to be unruly.you lot are known for your indifference to etiquette so i will accommodate you.
no one said soludo was not a professor previously.
the point is ,is he now?? and is it still appropriate to call him one whether he occupies a chair.simple query without polemic.
your response "yoruba misinformation". what does yorubaness have to do with the issue.
you talk about my family and qualifications. well i know you and your people.
we lead you follow.scholarship is quite different from rabble rousing. i will not indulge your insecurity but believe me if you had another life you would still be behind.

go lock shop naaaaaa

I know your folks are averse to being corrected by their superiors. Sentences are not started with small letters; get that. Thus, when you learn how to write properly, we can converse some more. For now, you run along to your mates. We are no mates. okay?

And yes, Achebe is currently a FULL Prof with a chair in African Studies in an Ivy league university (Brown University)
Soludo was a FULL (bolded, in case you are short-sighted) Prof at UNN. He has not been stripped of it and would, in all likelihood, retain it or even get a better offer elsewhere, if he needs it.

It is Yoruba misinformation because I am not new to Sefago.
If you do not stop being a functional illiterate, it is your soup to eat, not mine.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

a construction alien to modern grammar and  most likely a translation from your igboid thinking.

n[/b]othing wrong with that in general except you are not really in a position to pontificate about matters beyond your grasp.for those genuinely immersed in the language,like [b]me,to enlighten philistines like [b]you.[/b]the internet conventions permit it.

The bolded are exhibits of functional illiteracy at its zenith.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2011
stripped of what.

a professorship is a chair not a chieftaincy title. it has a term which may be short or long ,fixed or renewable. in the british tradition which we follow if you vacate the chair that is it .
you may be called professor but not Professor . the term professor is used to address many academics who never occupy a chair from Readers to Lecturers.not as a title. it is the same in the US and the correct title would be Mr ditto for Wole Soyinka and any other previous Professors.unless conferred with an Emeritus professorship.
find out, bluster and polemic only expose further your deficiencies which are blindingly glaring already. your claims of superiority apart from ridiculing you further underline your lack of conviction and self belief. if true saying so does not make it any more so if false,well.it seems quite important to you to believe that but it is irrelevant to the issue of professorship,tenure etc.
your bringing yoruba into it confirms what we know about you
OMATA guy
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2011
ZnO:

The bolded are exhibits of functional illiteracy at its zenith.
nna ennnnnnnnnnn
grin grin grin

go and lock ya shop naa
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 22, 2011
maybe you will explain the difference between full and partial or otherwise un-full professorship.

for those who wish to learn this is a good place to START
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:28pm On Apr 22, 2011
iwonbaoko:

nna ennnnnnnnnnn
grin grin grin

go and lock ya shop naa

I wonder who is more dignifying: a shop keeper or a motor park tout (Agbero)
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:31pm On Apr 22, 2011
Full Professor

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/full+professor

For the benefit of the half-baked and functionally illiterate.
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 22, 2011
did you mean "more dignified"??

superior guyn grin grin
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ZnO: 10:37pm On Apr 22, 2011
^^^
I mean dignifying.
Dignifying = state of being worthy or impressive
So, who is more worthy or impressive: a shop keeper or a motor park tout?

See how porous you are? What am I doing conversing with you?
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 22, 2011
thanks for the link to full professor,we do not use that in,nigeria/commonwealth but useful to know.
but you digress

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor

you know what the main issue is

i asked a question without making any claims about soludo
Re: When Did Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Become A Professor? by ektbear: 10:40pm On Apr 22, 2011
ZnO:

Soludo was a FULL (bolded, in case you are short-sighted) Prof at UNN. He has not been stripped of it and would, in all likelihood, retain it or even get a better offer elsewhere, if he needs it.

So he can go back to it. But since he is not currently a Prof at UNN (correct me if I am wrong) or any other institution, it would be incorrect to call him Professor Soludo.

Dr. Soludo, yes. Prof Soludo, no.

But I guess Nigerians generally don't care about this distinction.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic On Msn's Front Page. Building Megacities. / Vehicle Laden With Explosive Destroyed By Military In Konduga / PENGASSAN Tells FG It's Afraid Of Militants' Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.