Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes (3512 Views)

Nigerians Mock Fashola On Twitter Over Drop In Power Supply(Pics) / Governor Nasir El-Rufai Visits Destitutes' Home In Kaduna / Photo: Shettima, Fashola On Buhari’s Entourage Before His Departure To Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 4:29pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by mustafar1: 4:29pm On Apr 10, 2009
Quick Kweshun for all.

what happens when someone haven worked all his life, paid taxes to ogun state because he lives there. paid taxes to lagos state because he works there. then on retirement things fall apart and becomes destitute. who should bare the responsibility of taking care of said individual? by the way he is from oyo state.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Apr 10, 2009
must_a_far:

Quick Kweshun for all.

what happens when someone haven worked all his life, paid taxes to ogun state because he lives there. paid taxes to lagos state because he works there. then on retirement things fall apart and becomes destitute. who should bare the responsibility of taking care of said individual? by the way he is from oyo state.

Well, now we can CONVENIENTLY deport your SORRY bum back to OYO state!! Roflmao!!! Nevermind that the law does not include DEPORTATION AS OPTION, instead of putting you in JAIL, your bum will be shipped back to OYO,were! were! kia m o sa!!  Roflmao!!!

BE very very afraid!!!
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 4:32pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Moves: 4:32pm On Apr 10, 2009
tpia:

show me a country without destitutes.
I meant the socalled destitudes being deported in their own country, They left the home towns to come to lagos to seek work or better themselves not that they set off with intentions of coming to lagos to beg
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by moneygurl: 4:33pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ok. But there is no statement made on where these destitute where registered though. Why did you see fit to bring that up in the first place?
Well, on the above, there are right from that so many ways the state can actually move to rectify the problem, don’t you think? [b]I mean Lagos actually earns a lot more from taxes paid by residents, and investors than it does from allocations. So forgive me is I am not jumping to swallow these excuses you have come up with so far. By the way, many of those who pay most of the taxes are mostly foreign and residents who are not originally from the state[/b]
Isn’t that like concluding that all those who are poor in Nigeria are lazy people mostly? Come on!! So because a few of them that you have heard of make that much a day, you want to crucify them all by that? Come on!!

But the article did not say they were Lagosians. I felt it was relevant to bring it up to make it clear that other states are provided money to help their people, if it not doing that Lagos should not have to be footing the bill for it.

So because Lagos earns more it should spend all the money in helping the beggars from other states?

As a taxpayer I expect my govt to use the money to provide amenities such as good roads, water, etc. I dont expect them to use [b]everything [/b]to helping beggars majority of which come form other state and have become a problem for the government and the people. And you know if Lagos is using all the money to be helping this beggars, the number of them coming into the state will just be increasing.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by mustafar1: 4:35pm On Apr 10, 2009
or better still lets assume otherwise, he isnt retired. he lost his job and family due to job loss. got depressed and becomes destitute. all other variables from the above still stands. who takes care of him?

Tpia, would your response be different with the above modification? plus i also stated in the initial piece that things fell apart. assume he saved up for retirement, had a house, had a family et all. BUT LOST IT ALL due to no fault of his.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 4:37pm On Apr 10, 2009
Moves:

If the ruling Elite have not siphoned the colmmonwealth of this destitudes,  they wont be destitude if the first place, Fashola has no right to forcefully relocate anybody from lagos state, as theyare Nigerians, You dont treat illegality with Illegality fashola being as SAN should know that? Whatever Benefit they are  allocated in Lagos state they get it as nigerians, Well he might as well go the whole hog by deporting all the hausa beggars back to the north as see what we follow, I have an inkling that its Tinubu calling such shots to embarrass the PDP govt in Oyo, It is Unfair to use the less priviledge as pawns
So you think it is only Oyo state that got the deportation package? Na wa o!

I have seen destitutes here in the UK, I have destitutes in Europe at large. No country is devoid of destitutes. Even Jesus affirmed to that fact. But the sole question is that: who takes care of these destitutes? Why must Lagos be responsible for destitutes from Zamfara? Why why why

So because Lagos is on a re-development program, citizens of other states must now flock there and expect to live on the financial resources of that state when their own respective states should take a leaf and do what is expected of them as a state. Please nothing Fashola has done is illegal. This is a simple matter.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 4:37pm On Apr 10, 2009
moneygurl:

But the article did not say they were Lagosians. I felt it was relevant to bring it up to make it clear that other states are provided money to help their people, if it not doing that Lagos should not have to be footing the bill for it.
hmmmm
moneygurl:

So because Lagos earns more it should spend all the money in helping the beggars from other states?
Simply wanted to make you understand that the ALLOCATIONS argument makes little sense here since Lagos is about the richest state in that nation; allocations it gets from the federal government is measly compared to money it raises each year from residents and investors. So, I am not sure why ALLOCATIONS, according to you should be made the problem NOW.  You are the one who keeps bringing up the issue of ALLOCATIONS so I am saying we should give that a rest already.

moneygurl:

As a taxpayer I expect my govt to use the money to provide amenities such as good roads, water, etc. I dont expect them to use [b]everything [/b]to helping beggars majority of which come form other state and have become a problem for the government and the people. And you know if Lagos is using all the money to be helping this beggars, the number of them coming into the state will just be increasing.
How much help has the government given beggars in the past? Please answer this question as it is important.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Apr 10, 2009
must_a_far:

or better still lets assume otherwise, he isnt retired. he lost his job and family due to job loss. got depressed and becomes destitute. all other variables from the above still stands. who takes care of him?

Wetin you no get? We can now CONVENIENTLY deport your SORRY DEPRESSED bum back to OYO state!! were! were! kia m o sa!! You don go be that! Roflmao!!!

BE very very afraid!!!
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by moneygurl: 4:39pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Majority of those beggars have lived in Lagos longer than even you and I can boast of. They did not come in two or so weeks ago when begging became a crime, so for you to suddenly label them all criminals is a shame. Many of those beggars were once respectable and tax-paying members of Lagos society. To now suddenly put your nose up in the air and pretend that they were all burdens and so criminals is a tad despicable, if you ask me. They are human beings and need help just like you and I do.

When last have you been to Lagos? Majority of them are young. And as for taxes, most people did not pay taxes or even know state government collect taxes until recently when  the state government started enforcing the law and collecting taxes.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 4:40pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by asha80(m): 4:40pm On Apr 10, 2009
Posted on: Today at 04:35:14 PMPosted by: must_a_far  

Does becoming an idegene of a state through residency exist in nigeria?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by mustafar1: 4:41pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Wetin you no get? We can now CONVENIENTLY deport your SORRY DEPRESSED bum back to OYO state!! were! were! kia m o sa!! You don go be that! Roflmao!!!

BE very very afraid!!!

Kobo, na say u dey in a hurry to deport my John Doe Bull grin grin
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 4:42pm On Apr 10, 2009
There are destitutes from Niger, from Chad, from Benin Republic all in Lagos. Yet to some people here, it is illegal to deport them back to their states, since we are all in the same country, same continent and probably they are even claiming Lagos or even another state in Nigeria.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 4:43pm On Apr 10, 2009
moneygurl:

When last have you been to Lagos? Majority of them are young.
Don’t worry yourself about when last I was there. Let’s focus on the topic at hand. I am not asking you of their ages as I have made it clear how long we have had destitute in Lagos and how many of them have been there long before you were born.
moneygurl:

And as for taxes, most people did not pay taxes or even know state government collect taxes until recently when  the state government started enforcing the law and collecting taxes.
Ok, however this does not change what I have said so far. I have lived as a resident of that state for years and have paid taxes on my property for all that time and we are not talking minutes here. So, there are many who have paid their taxes, even if now we have many more, meaning the government now has access to even more funds, based on your claim. So, can you please help me with answer to that important question I asked earlier?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On Apr 10, 2009
must_a_far:

Kobo, na say u dey in a hurry to deport my John Doe Bull grin grin

Apparently, it is allowed. And if you get to Oyo and the town where you were dumped off at  feels to deport you to your own village, that might happen next !! roflmao!!

Basically, the minute you become FINANCIALLY useless to them, they can deport your sorry bum back to your village and maybe next is death penalty!! roflmao!!!
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 4:45pm On Apr 10, 2009
I am out of here. Today is Good Friday.

Let me go celebrate!

Fashola, please continue to chase out those destitutes back to their state of origin. Anyone without any form of economic input or development to Lagos should not be encouraged to stay in there. This is a wake-up call to other states to do what must be done in their respective state!
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Moves: 4:46pm On Apr 10, 2009
Pataki:

So you think it is only Oyo state that got the deportation package? Na wa o!

I have seen destitutes here in the UK, I have destitutes in Europe at large. No country is devoid of destitutes. Even Jesus affirmed to that fact. But the sole question is that: who takes care of these destitutes? Why must Lagos be responsible for destitutes from Zamfara? Why why why

So because Lagos is on a re-development program, citizens of other states must now flock there and expect to live on the financial resources of that state when their own respective states should take a leaf and do what is expected of them as a state. Please nothing Fashola has done is illegal. This is a simple matter.

And in which of those countries have their indigenes been forcefully relocated or deported, NONE
Am a lagosian by descent but this is wrong; there is nothing like citizen of lagos but nigerian citizen, so my grudge is the fact that they are Nigerians first, and derserve the right that every other nigerian have in lagos state, if other destitudes are being catered for; the should enjoy same, It is about time we do away with this state of Origin madness, Aside so it is alright to collect taxes from indigenes of other states but when they are destitudes you deport them, That is Inhuman.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Pataki: 4:51pm On Apr 10, 2009
Moves:

And in which of those countries have their indigenes been forcefully relocated or deported, NONE
Am a lagosian by descent but this is wrong; there is nothing like citizen of lagos but nigerian citizen, so my grudge is the fact that they are Nigerians first, and derserve the right that every other nigerian have in lagos state, if other destitudes are being catered for; the should enjoy same, It is about time we do away with this state of Origin madness, Aside so it is alright to collect taxes from indigenes of other states but when they are destitudes you deport them, That is Inhuman.
Collecting taxes from indigenes of other states is a total different topic. Please you could start another thread for that, and I will gladly air my opinion on that.

The discussion here is about destitutes living on the financial strength of another state which is not their state. Should it be encouraged or disallowed? Fashola has disallowed it and it very good in my opinion! So far so good, no one has tendered any argument to make see that it is highly unreasonable of Lagos State to do so.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by moneygurl: 4:51pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

hmmmmSimply wanted to make you understand that the ALLOCATIONS argument makes little sense here since Lagos is about the richest state in that nation; allocations it gets from the federal government is measly compared to money it raises each year from residents and investors. So, I am not sure why ALLOCATIONS, according to you should be made the problem NOW.  You are the one who keeps bringing up the issue of ALLOCATIONS so I am saying we should give that a rest already.
How much help has the government given beggars in the past? Please answer this question as it is important.

By been the richest state does not mean it has lesser responsibility (or cost). It means it has more roads to fix, more drainage to fix, more schools to fix, more students to give free education, more teachers to pay, more hospitals to build, etc And the fact is that all this amenities are been used every day by all Lagosians and still up to 55-60% who have jobs dont pay taxes.

The government picked up a lot of beggars and gave them jobs with LAWMA, the trash to wealth program (the fertilizer company ) are mostly area boys, the government  donates money every month to private organizations that help this beggars (even the organizations complain there are to many, for the resources they have). The Eko rice program in Badagry are all former area boys and beggers who work there. The government even has 2 workshop programs paid for by the state govt to train people to be hair dressers, vulcanizers, etc. The government cannot spend all this money doing all this things, other states have to take responsibility too.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Moves: 4:52pm On Apr 10, 2009
Pataki:

There are destitutes from Niger, from Chad, from Benin Republic all in Lagos. Yet to some people here, it is illegal to deport them back to their states, since we are all in the same country, same continent and probably they are even claiming Lagos or even another state in Nigeria.
Since when are these part of the nigerian states, What am against is simply the deportation of Nigerians to their state of Origin on the account of their Financial Incapacity,
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Apr 10, 2009
moneygurl:

By been the richest state does not mean it has lesser responsibility (or cost). It means it has more roads to fix, more drainage to fix, more schools to fix, more students to give free education, more teachers to pay, more hospitals to build, etc And the fact is that all this amenities are been used every day by all Lagosians and still up to 55-60% who have jobs dont pay taxes.

That is understood but you are yet to prove again that ALLOCATIONS happen to be the problem here. Remember, you brought up that argument and so it is on you to PROVE that to be viable reason for DEPORTING destitute and why it is a LEGAL move by the government.   According to the article, the reason for deportation was simply CONGESTION. You came in claiming it was ALLOCATION, so I am waiting for you to give solid backing for this.

According to you, Lagos right now gets even more than it did back when Tinubu was governor, and it continues to push to get even more( in the way of taxes by ensuring more and more of the residents pay up).

moneygurl:

The government picked up a lot of beggars and gave them jobs with LAWMA, the trash to wealth program (the fertilizer company ) are mostly area boys, the government  donates money every month to private organizations that help this beggars (even the organizations complain there are to many, for the resources they have). The Eko rice program in Badagry are all former area boys and beggers who work there. The government even has 2 workshop programs paid for by the state govt to train people to be hair dressers, vulcanizers, etc. The government cannot spend all this money doing all this things, other states have to take responsibility too.

So in two years of government, this state government has been able to help and reach ALL Lagos destitute but those who were deported somehow did not want the help from government and so had to be deported? Is that the argument now being presented?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by moneygurl: 5:03pm On Apr 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That is understood but you are yet to prove again that ALLOCATIONS happen to be the problem here. Remember, you brought up that argument and so it is on you to PROVE that to be viable reason for DEPORTING destitute and why it is a LEGAL move by the government.  
According to you, Lagos right now gets even more than it did back when Tinubu was governor, and it continues to push to get even more( in the way of taxes by ensuring more and more of the residents pay up).
So in two years of government, this state government has been able to help and reach ALL Lagos destitute but those who were deported somehow did not want the help from government and so had to be deported? Is that the argument now?

You are the one that said that the allocation has nothing to do with his argument and i have dropped it but now you are bring it up again. You Lagos is ensuring more people pay it taxes. And its not as if the money is just lying around, the govt is using it to improve roads, rehabilitate all the water plants, etc.

The govt cannot help ALL Lagos destitute, there is a limit to its financial capability. Why cant they go to their state and get financial help. You were the one that ask how has the govt been helping some of this destitute and I gave you examples.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2009
moneygurl:

You are the one that said that the allocation has nothing to do with his argument and i have dropped it but now you are bring it up again. You Lagos is ensuring more people pay it taxes. And its not as if the money is just lying around, the govt is using it to improve roads, rehabilitate all the water plants, etc.

I said Allocations have little to do with this as I could argue that Lagos, as a state, gets more money compared to other states and not from allocations.  But you keep trying to make this a problem of finances in some way, well, at least that is what I get from your continuous need to state that not all persons who should are currently paying taxes in the state. Now, I could in the same breath ask why the government, instead of going after those who are not paying up there taxes, has instead chosen to go after the helpless in society to punish them for the crimes of the few in the state.

moneygurl:

The govt cannot help ALL Lagos destitute, there is a limit to its financial capability. Why cant they go to their state and get financial help. You were the one that ask how has the govt been helping some of this destitute and I gave you examples.

@Moneygurl, if we want to ask why’s and throw in some what if’s, we could do that from now till kingdom come. We are here talking of people living in Lagos state and so are resident in that state even though they are destitute. I don’t know in what world we start asking why anyone, destitute or not should need to go back to his or her state to get help.  You do not sign up for a sort of passport when you move from one state, to another ,or do you? So why this need to ever come up, is what my question has been from the start. 

Why should any citizen of Nigeria need to travel back to his home town to get help of any kind? Are these destitute seeking help or just looking to live as they best can?  Did these people approach government for help? If there crime is begging, then why are they not locked up in Jail as the law prescribes they should be? Why are we now turning Lagos into some COUNTRY that can deport anyone it feels like deporting at any time?

What next? NY deports people back to their states of origins and possibly countries because of congestion? London following suit? I mean why are we trying real hard to make sense of such a thing?

Think about this for a bit, what incentive do I have, as someone who is not even from Lagos, to pay taxes there, if the connection you are trying to make here is a legit one. Why not just pay my taxes to my state of origin if the only way I can get help if I were ever to become a destitute is from my own State government and not from the state I am resident in? Do you realize the reason why people pay taxes where they are is so that they can get help where they are at that time?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 5:25pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 5:33pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 6:00pm On Apr 10, 2009
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

—Emma Lazarus, 1883

precious words!!! embarassed
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by tpia: 6:03pm On Apr 10, 2009
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by bawomolo(m): 6:03pm On Apr 10, 2009
It's wrong they were deported to Oyo without the approval of the Oyo state government.  It's a matter of protocol,  the OYo state government has to prepared for them coming in. The relocation isn't wrong but the manner which it was done is.
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Frizy(m): 8:50pm On Apr 10, 2009
Funny enough, Fashola gave them N200.00, does he think they can't take the next bus back to Lagos. Or do you now need a visa to enter Lagos when you're also a Southerner, Nigerian?
Re: Akala, Fashola On War Path Over Dumping Of Destitutes by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Apr 10, 2009
My head hurts just thinking of some government somewhere needing to approve my deportation from my state of residence. I mean if I am a criminal, according to the law, I ought to be imprisoned for my crime, not deported to another state for it. Should I be looking out for when States will choose instead to deport murderers and serial killers, with Naira 500 pocket money, to their states of origin as well?? [size=13pt]ROFLMAO!! [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pics Of Boko Haram Members +Their Cars Captured By The Nigerian Army In Munguno / Police Smashes Yoruba Syndicates In Aba / Tinubu Kicks As Obasanjo Suggests Soludo To Buhari As Finance Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.