Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,488 members, 7,812,512 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Please Advise: Did I Over React - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Please Advise: Did I Over React (2368 Views)

Did I Do Something Wrong Or Was I Over Independent? / Am I OK To Cut This Friendship Off Or Am I Over-reacting? *serious Answers Only* / Did I Goof? My Experience With A Lady I Love. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise: Did I Over React by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 20, 2015
I have been dating this guy for over 3years now. He was 28 and I was almost 25 at the time we met. The relationship was full of troubles from the begining. His parents prefered his ex, his ex kept harassing me, his ex and sis actually set me up with another guy on facebook barely 6months into our relationship. This random guy was just sending me msgs and I have never been a type to acknowledge any form of friendship from someone I don't know but I was sulking in my room one day and the guy sent me another message. We chatted for a bit and later extended it to bbm. I told the guy I had a boyfriend and he said he was in Malaysia and was due back in Nigeria in a week. I said ok buy something for me o. A week later he told me he was in the country. My friend offered to even follow me but I just couldn't cos I didn't want any wahala. I travelled to the UK some days later only for my boyfriend to mail me my chats with the guy.
His ex saw that she didn't win in getting me to come (I escaped being set up) and she mailed my chats to my man and he forwarded them to me.
I cried my eyes out. There was NOTHING INCRIMINATING in the chat but my boyfriend said I shouldn't have even started the chat with the guy. His family held on to that and hated me more.
He stood by me, moved out of the house, stopped talking to his sis and all.
We continued our love. About a year and 6 months into our relationship I travelled to Ghana for Vacation. Whe  I returned, I realised my boyfriend and his ex had started talking regularly. I got angry and he apologised. He finally started acting funny not picking my calls, reading my chats and not replying...I never knew he had started sleeping with her again.
One morning I just woke up and went to his friends to report him and the friends took him aside to talk to him. I eavesdropped on their conversation and heard him telling them how I never brought him deals, (his ex had lots of influence as regards the biz he was into), how he couldn't rely on me sometimes when he needs money to urgently finance some things, he said so many bad things all pointing to the fact that I was broke and jobless. I come from an above average family but I didn't have a job and I supported him in my little way with the pocket money I got from my Dad.
Anyway we miraculously moved past that stage and I was happy. All this was in 2013.
In 2014, My Dad gave me money to buy a car, he wanted to buy a car too but his money wasnt complete. I lent him 200k out of my money so he could buy his. I ended up buying a Naija used car instead of Tokunbo. I sold my ipad for this guy one time, I buy him gifts, I treat him like my king.
May I state here that he is really stingy! Never considerate, always nagging and very secretive. Truthfully like 3 times in the relationship, I got tired and wanted to walk away with someone elsonce he senses that another guy has started calling me he would sit up and act lovey dovey and I would tell the guys to stop calling me. I had invested a lot of time n resources and I honestly wanted things to work out with us.  October last year, we travelled to see my Dad and told him we were ready to take our relationship to the next level. Our intro was fixed for December. December came and went and nothing happened. I know he is 'not there' financially but he's not poor.
This year he said we should rent a bigger apartment and I coughed out all the 500k to add to his and we rented the house. The way we were rushing to rent the house you would think he was ready to marry me the following week.
In the midst of all our drama, I knew his family was the reason our intro didn't hold and he was just giving lame excuses. I kept pestering him to beg them for me. I even went to MFM, fasted for 3days n 3nights all for his family to accept me. Finally in May this year his mum called me, talked and she said she was more holding any grudge against me moreso his ex is now married with her own child.
Instead of me to be happy, something in me died that day. I thought of how I had to go through 3 whole years begging to be accepted. I put it behind me and faced my man.
Oya Bobo we have rented house what next, he keeps saying I should be patient. Not giving me any definite or concrete answer. We had a minor quarrel 2months ago and as I was leaving his house he got up and was throwing my things at me to leave his house. A house I contributed with him to rent o.
EVERYTHING I Felt for him died that day and I struggled to love him back after he had apologised but it isn't working.
So I broke up with him some days ago but I am so lonely.
Now I am 28, and another woman is just going to come and enjoy all I suffered to build with him.
I don't know if I over reacted by breaking up with him cos honestly I am so lonely and can't sleep most nights.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by buygala(m): 7:16pm On Sep 20, 2015
ok

So you registered just now and created a thread to complain to us about your boyfriend and his family sad

Issorait smiley

The guy obviously doesn't care about you, but sees you as a financial rebound or steppping stone sad

Summary of my advice. ... Leave that dude before he ruins you.... Regardless of your limitations, You are too special to be used and tossed around like a rag sad

Don't settle for nonsense. .. You will still find worthy love if you move on, make yourself reasonably approachable, and stay away from leeches like him smiley

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
undecided its sad..dont even know what to advice, but all i can say is you're better off without him.And be patient with God and you'll find the right man for you soon

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by dejt4u(m): 7:25pm On Sep 20, 2015
You have made a wise decision.. That guy does nt worth you at all.. I wish u al d best
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Pholuuu(m): 7:28pm On Sep 20, 2015
The thing about relationship is that there are peculiarities that make what works for one not to work for another in the same circumstance. However i will advise that you look beyond finding a companion because you are 28yrs so to say to finding what will give you joy. Eventhough each person is responsible for his/her own happiness but look beyond your investments in the relationship take a peek into the future and see if marrying this guy will give you joy in the nearest future cause that is all that will matter years down the line . After all said and done, you need to follow your hunches. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by ronald4lif(m): 7:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
I'm curious, you explained you come from an average family and unemployed but you afforded holidays to Ghana, UK, gave your dad 200K for a car and supported him with 500K for rent. How come and where do you get the money from?

Anyways, back to the issue. This guy is playing you and don't picture you into his future in the long term. He's there for the moment and the perquisite that you provide to him. He confessed it when he told his friends you don't secure deals for him. I don't know how else do you want him to tell you before you get it. The red flags are there to tell it won't work but you're failing to see it. He even throw away your belongings from a home you contributed to it financing. Wake up and stop being a dunderhead.

I laugh when you said you can't leave what you struggled to built? Please get over yourself. I understand you feel you're getting old and the need to settled down could be mounting on but this is not what you want. This is what people in Jangara market call bad market. The guy is a bad market. Pronto.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by agrovick(m): 7:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
At this juncture, I think seminary is the way forward for me, all these stories are scary.
In other news, I don't think you overreacted since the guy in question seems to be dragging his feet according to your story.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by moremuch1(m): 7:37pm On Sep 20, 2015
My advice to u is dat u should count ur losses and move on, forget abt him and dont rush into any relationship now jst bcuz u r lonely.
Jst imagine wat u ave gone tru while dating him, this goes a long way to show how things are likely to be wen u guys get married. Its better u quit now wen u gat not too much to lose dan wen u guys are married and alot is at stake...

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 20, 2015
@ronald4lif I wonder if you comprehended what you read. I said I am from an above average family, My Dad gave me money to buy a car and I lent him 200k out of it not that I gave my Dad 200k.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by ronald4lif(m): 7:48pm On Sep 20, 2015
missgts:
@ronald 4lif I wonder if you comprehended what you read. I said I am from an above average family, My Dad gave me money to buy a car and I lent him 200k out of it not that I gave my Dad 200k.

Alright then, must have been an oversight. Sieve through the other messages from everyone and arrive at a better decision yourself. All the best.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by NemzySeries(m): 8:12pm On Sep 20, 2015
itz so unfortunate to say dat U're flying smoothly in d wrong direction.....u guys aint married in d 1st place & U're already renting hauz,living together, buying car & developing hiz business? so wat wud u do 4 him wen u guys finally marry?.....seemz U're a nice person pls cum & buy me car na (preferably Mercedes benz C240 2007model)

I'll advice u get a job dat wud engage u properly & fink of moving to d nxt lvl & d worst mistake u can make in life is begging a man to marry u bkos u feel U've contributed to hiz economic development & ordawise.......put all U've spent. behind u & look 2wards d beta side of life..... & u sef sabi waste money Õoº°˚ ˚°ºoo..u neva start work & u don dey go on vacation & roaming round d globe...beta take time Õoº°˚ ˚°ºoo

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Joshchi(m): 8:43pm On Sep 20, 2015
Well...you didn't overreact by my reckoning. Just that I won't mind listening to the guy's version of events.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by thuao(m): 8:47pm On Sep 20, 2015
U seemed to complete to be inadequate, just like Nigeria , u have excess yet, u re lacking.
Best decision in 3or 4 years was leaving him, cos actually, u were never part of him or his life. U re only an attache, like trying to belong by force. Everything points to the fact u re in a toxic relationship n dating a parasite.
U re a Lady most guys wud love to have,(u can afford 200k to dash for ur guy car n 500k for house). But u re putting pearl on a pig. M sure u won't find 2% female nairalanders that wud do that.
Move on with ur life, develop ur self. Find job or start s biz, a responsible guy will find u.
Worst thing u can do is go back to him or rush into a relationship now cos u re lonely or can't sleep. This time open ur eyes.
No responsible man will turn his girl to an ATM,even husbands no dey sap their wives dry

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by yomi007k(m): 8:55pm On Sep 20, 2015
Dear God, y don't u give babes like ds 2 love,cherish,plan and flourish. cry

....Make I yarn....

Truth is that ur a real woman, a cool n supportive lady.
U jus happened to be with the wrong person. There was no way on earth u guys cud hav worked becos u n him had no PLAN.

I urge u to relax n stop biting urself becos with TIME, dt dude will realise n I hope it won't be too late becos u wud have moved on.

..Focus on u, have a wonderful life.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Djicemob: 9:09pm On Sep 20, 2015
I dont understand what you mean by "you come from an average family" in this context,with the several trips abroad,having a dad to buy you a car and dashing hundreds of thousands to the "needy and the motherless" in what seem like a serious philanthropic work.Pls where is your NGO situated?

Having said that,i think you have made a big mistake,the signs where there but you ignored them thinking you are investing in a fertile land.

My advice to you

buygala:

Don't settle for nonsense. .. You will still find worthy love if you move on, make yourself reasonably approachable, and stay away from leeches like him smiley
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by uniquelycool: 9:38pm On Sep 20, 2015
I'm not a relationship expert, I have my own flaws too, I'm even going through a lot right now as per relationship, but I'll talk to u like a friend n sister cos we're age mates..Babe u fvcked up, how can u be that generous to a guy?How do u think u can lend money to ur bf and want a refund?Didn't u know he wasn't gonna pay u?..And u coughed out a whooping 500k for an apartment with an ordinary bf? U tried oo..Guys can call me stingy or whatever, but there's a certain amount I can never dream of giving a guy.Its not even right to give a guy money, Once a guy starts asking me for money, there's problem,I see that as a "Red Flag"...
Please just move on, its difficult I know, but try..I can imagine how u're feeling..
Sorry dear! undecided

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 20, 2015
Just wen u tot lovely gals are scarce, U just discovered an angel is inlove with A foolish bastard! God
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Vicintonsh(m): 10:28pm On Sep 20, 2015
emynez:
Just wen u tot lovely gals are scarce, U just discovered an angel is inlove with A foolish bastard! God
same lines i had in mind that is if this story is not a nollywood muveee

girlie as hard as it maybe move on. dude doesnt deserve u

i for marry u but grin
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Olasco93: 10:52pm On Sep 20, 2015
I admire your braveness and love style. It's difficult though, but i will advice u just try your possible best and forget about the relationship and move on.

You've to know that the guy doesn't even love and deserve an Angel like you. At this juncture, (you are not getting any younger as a woman; work on yourself physically, mentally and emotionally. Don't rush into any Relationship for the main time, you need time to clean up all the mess that has happened and eventually the one that might want to show up in the future

Write down all the things that made you people to break up, were you and him all got it wrong, your flaws, study, correct them and work on adjusting yourself for your future relationship. I bet you, if you can do this, your next relationship will lead you to the Alter.

Remember, he will come back begging you when things start turning out right for you, just forgive him and don't accept him back.
Sometimes these kind of things happen before your Right man to show up.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by babyfaceafrica: 10:53pm On Sep 20, 2015
I will like to hear the guys version of the story...my people will say. An elder who hears one part of a case and makes judgement is a wicked elder!!!
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by obo389(m): 11:50pm On Sep 20, 2015
babe,I feel for u.meanwhile, ur storey already made me interested in u.
can u PM me let's chat and gt to know each other deeply?
am also single and searching and need someone serious and matured.if ur interested, let me know then we start from there.
thank you
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by passionate88: 6:38am On Sep 21, 2015
Nigerian girls and the 'buy something come for me o' syndrome. Tufiakwa.

I know that you might be one of those NL babes that shout 'real man' up and down this forum but you date jerks. I feel no remorse for you. Identify with your real monicker not some pseudo
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 21, 2015
Thanks guys for all the advice. Every one is pointing to the fact that I am not wrong. I know so too but the loneliness is killing. My phone hardly rings these days cos I wrapped my world around him and didn't have friends. He didn't even let me hang out with my old female friends talk more of talking with my male friends.
The sad part is that I had guys who were far richer than him on my case but love blinded me.
To the people saying I gave 500k to a whole bf, we travelled last year to meet my father in Abuja to say we were ready and then he got me a ring so technically he was my fiance.
When I dropped the money to add to what he had, I was dead broke afterwards but I thought I was building a future with my man.
He always says things like how he wants to change his car, set up his house to a perfect standard then we'll get married but he doesn't know when and I should be patient.
Anyway I know what I'm feeling will pass. I just hope I am strong enough not to go beg him.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by IamLEGEND1: 7:51am On Sep 21, 2015

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Happiness87(f): 8:05am On Sep 21, 2015
missgts:
I have been dating this guy for over 3years now. He was 28 and I was almost 25 at the time we met. The relationship was full of troubles from the begining. His parents prefered his ex, his ex kept harassing me, his ex and sis actually set me up with another guy on facebook barely 6months into our relationship. This random guy was just sending me msgs and I have never been a type to acknowledge any form of friendship from someone I don't know but I was sulking in my room one day and the guy sent me another message. We chatted for a bit and later extended it to bbm. I told the guy I had a boyfriend and he said he was in Malaysia and was due back in Nigeria in a week. I said ok buy something for me o. A week later he told me he was in the country. My friend offered to even follow me but I just couldn't cos I didn't want any wahala. I travelled to the UK some days later only for my boyfriend to mail me my chats with the guy.
His ex saw that she didn't win in getting me to come (I escaped being set up) and she mailed my chats to my man and he forwarded them to me.
I cried my eyes out. There was NOTHING INCRIMINATING in the chat but my boyfriend said I shouldn't have even started the chat with the guy. His family held on to that and hated me more.
We continued our love. About a year and 6 months into our relationship I travelled to Ghana for Vacation. Whe  I returned, I realised my boyfriend and his ex had started talking regularly. I got angry and he apologised. He finally started acting funny not picking my calls, reading my chats and not replying...I never knew he had started sleeping with her again.
One morning I just woke up and went to his friends to report him and the friends took him aside to talk to him. I eavesdropped on their conversation and heard him telling them how I never brought him deals, (his ex had lots of influence as regards the biz he was into), how he couldn't rely on me sometimes when he needs money to urgently finance some things, he said so many bad things all pointing to the fact that I was broke and jobless. I come from an above average family but I didn't have a job and I supported him in my little way with the pocket money I got from my Dad.
Anyway we miraculously moved past that stage and I was happy. All this was in 2013.
In 2014, My Dad gave me money to buy a car, he wanted to buy a car too but his money wasnt complete. I lent him 200k out of my money so he could buy his. I ended up buying a Naija used car instead of Tokunbo. I sold my ipad for this guy one time, I buy him gifts, I treat him like my king.
May I state here that he is really stingy! Never considerate, always nagging and very secretive. Truthfully like 3 times in the relationship, I got tired and wanted to walk away with someone elsonce he senses that another guy has started calling me he would sit up and act lovey dovey and I would tell the guys to stop calling me. I had invested a lot of time n resources and I honestly wanted things to work out with us.  October last year, we travelled to see my Dad and told him we were ready to take our relationship to the next level. Our intro was fixed for December. December came and went and nothing happened. I know he is 'not there' financially but he's not poor.
This year he said we should rent a bigger apartment and I coughed out all the 500k to add to his and we rented the house. The way we were rushing to rent the house you would think he was ready to marry me the following week.
In the midst of all our drama, I knew his family was the reason our intro didn't hold and he was just giving lame excuses. I kept pestering him to beg them for me. I even went to MFM, fasted for 3days n 3nights all for his family to accept me. Finally in May this year his mum called me, talked and she said she was more holding any grudge against me moreso his ex is now married with her own child.
Instead of me to be happy, something in me died that day. I thought of how I had to go through 3 whole years begging to be accepted. I put it behind me and faced my man.
Oya Bobo we have rented house what next, he keeps saying I should be patient. Not giving me any definite or concrete answer. We had a minor quarrel 2months ago and as I was leaving his house he got up and was throwing my things at me to leave his house. A house I contributed with him to rent o.
EVERYTHING I Felt for him died that day and I struggled to love him back after he had apologised but it isn't working.
Now I am 28, and another woman is just going to come and enjoy all I suffered to build with him.
I don't know if I over reacted by breaking up with him cos honestly I am so lonely and can't sleep most nights.
your fault, right from day one it was not working but You still hung in, blame no one except yourself
btw, you seem to be a wife material, get busy with your life someone cool will meet you soon, be open minded

for your loneliness, we could chat, just pm Me
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by pitipom: 8:58am On Sep 21, 2015
Babes,you were in a highly abusive relationship.Thank your stars you dint marry that man. Taking all that crap from his family in the name of love? The man never loved you. You were just a means to an end. Imagine saying you were not bringing business deals!
Dont brood over that opportunist. Come out from your cocoon. Start socializing again.
Meanwhile it's very wrong to cut off your friends from your life because of a man. He probably knew you had smart friends that would disapprove of him.
Why dint you let your family into what was going on? Sweetheart I want to spank and hug you at the same time! You ve gone through so much ignorantly.
Move on with your life. Make new friends,also reconnect with old ones. Get a job if you dont have one. Your happiness shouldnt depend on any man,an unworthy one for that matter. You will heal and get over the loneliness soon. Remember this guy is not worth shedding a single tear for..
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Richy4(m): 9:23am On Sep 21, 2015
My advice would be for you to go. And don't even look back.

Take it to be bad investment. Alot of people make investment that cost millions of dollars /naira. And some times, it was a bad investment. And it got flushed down the drain.

In this case, the investment was your time and the few cash you spent on him. Take it to be a bad debt.

I am happy you are no longer unemployed. Focus on your job. And FYI, 28 is not too old to start again.

You should be treated better than that. Some people are scared of commitment. But he should have let you know what he was afraid of.

Again, 28 is not too old to start again. Do not be super desperate or you will repeat the same mistake.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by akwemose: 10:02am On Sep 21, 2015
missgts:
Frm d stry line..its clear d family nevr wantd u in their sons life...n d guy dint do nothng abou it..that guy nevr felt for u one bit..he was just using you..u shouldav walked out.of this rlationshp a long time ago..cos it was nevr right frm d beginin...thank God u.av now...as fot ur lonliness...let God cmfrt u...get lost in God..so any man who wona find u wil find u in God...dnt let d tot of age come into play...ur man ll come...dnt let fear of rejctn mk u go back to smtn u shdnt...it z well
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 21, 2015
If you seriously believe someone else is going to enjoy what you suffered to build then you are not seeing the situation for what it is. Girl you got saved! This is a major good riddance to crap.

If you go back to him now you know it's just because you are afraid you will not meet a better dude don't let fear keep you stuck just keep it moving that guy is so not worth it.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by donevnetng: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2015
missgts:
Thanks guys for all the advice. Every one is pointing to the fact that I am not wrong. I know so too but the loneliness is killing. My phone hardly rings these days cos I wrapped my world around him and didn't have friends. He didn't even let me hang out with my old female friends talk more of talking with my male friends.
The sad part is that I had guys who were far richer than him on my case but love blinded me.
To the people saying I gave 500k to a whole bf, we travelled last year to meet my father in Abuja to say we were ready and then he got me a ring so technically he was my fiance.
When I dropped the money to add to what he had, I was dead broke afterwards but I thought I was building a future with my man.
He always says things like how he wants to change his car, set up his house to a perfect standard then we'll get married but he doesn't know when and I should be patient.
Anyway I know what I'm feeling will pass. I just hope I am strong enough not to go beg him.
update your number to solve that.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by jabojafa(m): 12:56pm On Sep 21, 2015
sorry abt how u feel. It is normal to feel dt way especially coming frm a relatnshp that wz choking. Jst see all does tins u did for him as an investment dt went soar/bad. To cure ur loneliness get busy with a job or sometin. Forget abt him cos u r not in his future plus his family hate u. I wonder how u wud cope whr d atmosphere is hate? U hv made d best decision by breakin up wit him.
Re: Please Advise: Did I Over React by jabojafa(m): 12:57pm On Sep 21, 2015
sorry abt how u feel. It is normal to feel dt way especially coming frm a relatnshp that wz choking. Jst see all does tins u did for him as an investment dt went soar/bad. To cure ur loneliness get busy with a job or sometin. Forget abt him cos u r not in his future plus his family hate u. I wonder how u wud cope whr d atmosphere is hate? U hv made d best decision by breakin up wit him. U r not d only1 dt may hv invested in a relatnshp dt didnt work out b4 and u wil neva b d last.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Will You Do If You Went To The Barbing Saloon And The Barber Does This / UNILAG Graduate Who Scored 5.0 CGPA: I Have No Girlfriend All Through School / The Most Hilarious Tweet Today! (snapshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.