Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83919 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by kobikwelu(m): 7:30pm On Sep 07, 2010
BTW I FORGOT!!!

jesoul, u r giving this movie 90% shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

stop throwing favorable ratings like dat oooooo

remmb ur a critic , or are u

was the film nominated for any awards?
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 7:38pm On Sep 07, 2010
kobikwelu:

BTW I FORGOT!!!

jesoul, u r giving this movie 90% shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

stop throwing favorable ratings like dat oooooo

remmb your a critic , or are u

was the film nominated for any awards?
lol this boy self. I'm feeling generous these days now, allow me jor. And being a "movie critic" (not that I am one) does not mean you have to be "stingy" with ratings. A movie may not necessarily be "intellectual" in the elitist sense but it may be entertaining, and entertaining is the category that carries the most weight for me. Oscar-winning or nominated movies to me these days mean absolutely jack, nada. I mean they gave the best movie to that crap called The Hurt Locker while skipping over gems like District 9. The oscars are deader than jerry curls to me.

And just for that, I'm increasing my rating of The Illusionist to 91%  cool 

Oya, where's your own review?
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:23pm On Sep 07, 2010
Deader than Jerry Curls. Lmao!
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:56pm On Sep 07, 2010
Critics and movie-goers gave THE ILLUSIONIST good reviews. It got nominated for Oscars but not in the Best Picture category. THE HURT LOCKER was an average film. It dragged too much.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:44pm On Sep 07, 2010
I gotta admit, movies are an important part of my life. I saw Before Sunrise, the film which Before Sunset is a sequel to. It made me make an important decision. Just when I was thinking, might I have been wrong? I saw Definitely Maybe and thought, nah, I'm good. A stupid digression. What am I supposed to be doing here? Yes, The Illusionist.

I think The Prestige and The Illusionist came out the same year. I love The Prestige for other reasons even apart from the film's quality. But I loved The Illusionist more. Something the film had that were riveting was the mystery. It's different from Prestige were you don't know where sleight of hand ends and magic (science) begins. In The Illusionist, you know everything is an illusion but it is no less enchanting. Norton was so intriguing and unbelievably deep. Spontaneous in an omniscient kinda way. Great stuff. Paul Giamatti was just sterling. The most convincing character. I was taken by him almost as much but was really surprised cuz I've never ever seen him half as good in anything ever before. I'm not so blown away by Biel though. Sorry everyone. Ok, not spectacular. I forget the name of the prince. He's also very good and his acting is subtle. He is truly regal. Last element that impressed me is the question of morality. I was conflicted in the end by what's fair and what 'fair' (as in beautiful). The prince was innocent. Of two charges. The inspector had more scruples than we thought. Biel's character had less. Eisenheim would do anything to get the girl. Eisenheim knew all of the above and masterfully manipulated everyone to get the he loved. It all begs the question: is true love an end that justifies any means. I really couldn't decide. That kinda thing is what makes a great film. I rate it 95%.

Who said something about Oscars? Nowadays those things are like a stamp of deep mediocrity/hypocrisy. Any decent film can do without it.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 6:46pm On Sep 08, 2010
I luv Before Sunset too Vesc.
Review next?
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2010
Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy ooooo
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2010
@v3
We're still reviewing "The Illusionist (2006)". cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 9:07pm On Sep 08, 2010
vescucci:

I gotta admit, movies are an important part of my life. I saw Before Sunrise, the film which Before Sunset is a sequel to. It made me make an important decision. Just when I was thinking, might I have been wrong? I saw Definitely Maybe and thought, nah, I'm good. A silly digression. What am I supposed to be doing here? Yes, The Illusionist.
lol. On behalf of the movie club I ask, what was that decision?

I think The Prestige and The Illusionist came out the same year. I love The Prestige for other reasons even apart from the film's quality. But I loved The Illusionist more. Something the film had that were riveting was the mystery. It's different from Prestige were you don't know where sleight of hand ends and magic (science) begins. In The Illusionist, you know everything is an illusion but it is no less enchanting. Norton was so intriguing and unbelievably deep. Spontaneous in an omniscient kinda way. Great stuff. Paul Giamatti was just sterling. The most convincing character. I was taken by him almost as much but was really surprised cuz I've never ever seen him half as good in anything ever before. I'm not so blown away by Biel though. Sorry everyone. Ok, not spectacular. I forget the name of the prince. He's also very good and his acting is subtle. He is truly regal. Last element that impressed me is the question of morality. I was conflicted in the end by what's fair and what 'fair' (as in beautiful). The prince was innocent. Of two charges. The inspector had more scruples than we thought. Biel's character had less. Eisenheim would do anything to get the girl. Eisenheim knew all of the above and masterfully manipulated everyone to get the he loved. It all begs the question: is true love an end that justifies any means. I really couldn't decide. That kinda thing is what makes a great film. I rate it 95%.
Who talk say we all knew? me I didn't know it was an illusion jare! grin Nice review Vesc. I like the questions you raise in the end. The prince was innocent of the two charges, but the way I see it, he was guilty of a 1000 more crimes and hence pretty much deserving of the hand he received. Perhaps it wasn't fair, but hey, life's not fair is it?

is true love an end that justifies any means. I really couldn't decide.
I'd say sometimes yes, and sometimes no, and sometimes there is no clear answer. Hope that helps? lol.

And oh, we were not praising Biel for her acting in the movie, we were just praising her for her.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:11am On Sep 09, 2010
Guru JeSoul. The Movie Club don't really wanna know. You on the other hand . . . . . . . . . . .Nice take on the questions too. It's easy to be dispassionate as an onlooker. I'd probably kill for someone I love. I'll remember to pick your brain later though.

Oh, Jessica Biel is beautiful. If you mayest not find me a bit uncouth, I have bonafide uncouth friends who think she has a J-Lo (or is it jello?) bottom. Apparently, this is a good thing.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 11:56am On Sep 09, 2010
Happy Sallah to all the movie-goers in The Movie Club. cool
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 2:02pm On Sep 09, 2010
vesc,
U dare compare Beil's behind to J.Lo's? That's a blasphemy of d backsides,
No livin being has anythin on J.Lo. Believe that.

Now to other news, there's no other news.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2010
I'd argue with you but my halo glow is almost out and I still wanna find The One
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 5:52pm On Sep 09, 2010
Go keep your halo somewhere safe then come back here.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:56pm On Sep 09, 2010
vescucci:

Guru JeSoul.
Guru? . . . hmm, typo?

The Movie Club don't really wanna know. You on the other hand . . . . . . . . . . .
Lol, aight, I shall wait for the appropriate venue to pursue the matter further.

Nice take on the questions too. It's easy to be dispassionate as an onlooker. I'd probably kill for someone I love. I'll remember to pick your brain later though.
I share that sentiment whole heartedly. I recall this dream that I had about a year or so ago. My older sister was kidnapped and the car that took her was just ahead on the road. I went on a gun rampage taking out everything and everyone in my path to try to save her. Got to the car, mercilessly killed the perpetrators and rescued her. I woke up. I smiled. It would not take longer than a heartbeat for me to do that in reality.

Oh, Jessica Biel is beautiful. If you mayest not find me a bit uncouth, I have bonafide uncouth friends who think she has a J-Lo (or is it jello?) bottom. Apparently, this is a good thing.
Lol. Battle of the behinds. Lemme throw Serena Williams in the mix. Let all three of em' duke it out. JK can be the referee, I have a small feeling he would kill for such an opportunity.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 6:38pm On Sep 09, 2010
Seems there's a whole lotta stuff people would kill for. I wouldn't mess with your sis, JeSoul. Not if I'm not ready to push daisies.

JK Simmons. My halo is connected to me via strong chakra. It's no use parting from it. But in JeSoul, you might have found a taker. Serena's shock absorber can absorb a bullet, no problem. Are we reviewing hindquarters now? I rate Biel. . . . . . . . . . .
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 7:57pm On Sep 09, 2010
Reviewing hindquarters lol.

Why should it be only restricted to women? lets have some masculine behinds in the contest too. I vote for JK's ikebe . . .
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:13pm On Sep 09, 2010
Only 3 reviews so far for "The Illusionist". Lets have more.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 8:16pm On Sep 09, 2010
JK, com sa? Ike what? Ogini biko? You better find film for us to rate or your thread will become X-rated.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:25pm On Sep 09, 2010
@vescucci
Oga JK, comes to NL once in a week.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:21pm On Sep 09, 2010
Lmao.
My hindquarters ke? Don't start wahala oh.
Review precious' own lol.

Obi
Ahn ahn. I come here daily jor. Once a week ke?

I've not seen Illusionist so can't post a review.
So are we done?
Re: The Movie Club by kobikwelu(m): 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2010
this world has gone to blazes shocked shocked shocked shocked

people throwing 90, 91, 95 % around as if its confetti cry cry cry cry cry

ohhh the lost art of critic-ing cry cry cry is trully lost

i give the film 75 % jooorrr

story line is kinda predictable,  though norton handled his role well, i cant say same for biel and others.
cool photography, but dont like the theme music,
camera angles (and i am very very particular about dis) leaves much to be desired

@jesoul
being a critic actually means you have to be stingy with ratings cool cool cool (just so u'd know)
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 5:09pm On Sep 11, 2010
Lol. None of us here is a real critic since we don't get paid and no one cares about our ratings but us. I'm curious to know which films, if there exists such films, that you'd give an above 90percent rating sir.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2010
Hmmm. . .the illusionist has been sitting pretty on my pc for some mönths now but I'm yet to watch it. Question is should I watch it? Is it interesting? Is it worth almost 2hrs of my time?

N.b: I nor get time for films that drag. . .it has to prove to be interesting in the 1st 15 minutes otherwise. . . .
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2010
Are we there yet? sad
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 4:44pm On Sep 12, 2010
semid4lyfe:

N.b: I nor get time for films that drag. . .it has to prove to be interesting in the 1st 15 minutes otherwise. . . .

@semid4lyfe
Once there are no massive killings in the first 10 minutes, then the film is wack.  cheesy  grin Na wa o!!!  grin

@v3
We're almost there.  cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by montelik(m): 5:22pm On Sep 12, 2010
Illusionist is okay. But seeing as it is constantly compared to "prestige", I would say prestige is easily much better. A nice film 70%
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 6:15pm On Sep 12, 2010
obinna5000:

@semid4lyfe
Once there are no massive killings in the first 10 minutes, then the film is wack.  cheesy  grin Na wa o!!!  grin

Com'on mahn! Nor be wetin I mean be that nah grin grin If na so, I for nor watch and love ''The Blind Side'' after all e nor get shootings and killings
Re: The Movie Club by kobikwelu(m): 1:06pm On Sep 13, 2010
Lol. None of us here is a real critic since we don't get paid and no one cares about our ratings but us. I'm curious to know which films, if there exists such films, that you'd give an above 90percent rating sir.

FILMS i wud (NOTE: IMHO )ascribe a 90% rating are , but not limited to

the dark knight
pulp fiction
the godfather (2, mosdef)
a beautiful mind
no country for old men
saving private ryan
we were soldiers
syriana
hannibal : the silence of the lambs
fight club
LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS (gosh !!! dis film wan kill me wit lafta)

as i said IMHO!!!
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 1:18pm On Sep 13, 2010
Mehn!! We still have a lot of films we've not reviewed here.

Whether its big budget, medium budget or low budget, we still have a lot of films to review.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 1:35pm On Sep 13, 2010
kobikwelu:

FILMS i wud (NOTE: IMHO )ascribe a 90% rating are , but not limited to

the dark knight
pulp fiction
the godfather (2, mosdef)
a beautiful mind
no country for old men
saving private ryan
we were soldiers
syriana
hannibal : the silence of the lambs
fight club
LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS (gosh !!! dis film wan kill me wit lafta)

as i said IMHO!!!

Aha. Why should I take your "IMHO" seriously when you seem not to take anybody else's as serious? Because I agree with all your movies being 90percent and over (which I do)? Well, except maybe Syrianna, 300 and We Were Soldiers. Point is to each his own. That's why the ratings of the house is not a weighted average. Capisci?
Re: The Movie Club by kobikwelu(m): 2:08pm On Sep 13, 2010
^^^^^

ermmm, dont get your point,

every renowned critics view is in HIS OWN OPINION

hence , my disclaimer. by the way, i have never dissed other people's opinion

i just feel that when you throw excellent ratings about, it kinda muddles your general critique appeal

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (96) (Reply)

Tboss Bares Her Boobs As Kemen Rinses Her Body After A Dark Bath At BBNaija / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / Photo Of Thin Tall Tony And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.