Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,048 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (31879 Views)

Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing? / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by donnffd(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2015
simplisity:
U have not actualy answered my question. I asked u, who made d truth d scientist r working on or raw which they made most of their discoveries? If scientist can work on d truth, that d earth revolves around d sun. Who made d earth to be revolvin around d sun? They dont jst made their discoveries on a hollow, they made most of their discoveries on already an existing truth. D gravitational force, the law of relativity, etc. Solomon d wisest man ever said that, nothing is new under d sun. Aeroplane was made based on d study and experiment how d birds fly, the same with other moving machines r built based on thorough study of movement of one animal and d onather. Even robots today r built based on d study of human anatomy. The problem they have is that, they r givin d most opportunity to know and appreciate God's handwork, but bcs of their ego and pride Satan d father of deception now toke d advantage of them thereby depriving them d wisdom and d grace to know and appreciate God, the maker of all things including science. They now take what their mind can produce as their gods. If Eintein, newton, faraday, etc had d opportunity to come back aftr death, they would tell u that, their is a supreme being called God and that they have guffed big time by not believing in Him.

Why i dont like arguing with religious people is that they base their proof on the bible and faith, and trust me, thats not a good basis for evidence.
Lets break it down, you believe everything in the bible, and you believe that your God is the one true God, if thats the case, why are there many more religions out there that claims to be serving the true God but you disapprove off, why is a personal God just that, personal.
Well if you check your history well, your so-called beloved bible was only a bible because the roman emperor Constantine converted into a christian and decided to make it an organized religion, he debated with some elders on the books to be added and not added...hmmmm, your holy book inspired by God was made whole by a Roman Emperor Pagan turned christian.
Aside from that, you seem to be in love with the notion that something must have created something, well that does not seem to be the case, if you know well about quantum mechanics, then you would know that particles pop into and out of existence randomly, this is not a lie, its been proven and recently the Large hadron collider discovered the presence of the higgs particle that is very much responsible for mass, and so if all this comes into play, then you have your nature created by mere chance, as hard as it may sound but very true.
The universe was created some 13.72 billion years ago but your bible calculation is about 6000, the earth was born from the accumulation of star-dust clouds that were produced by the explosion of high-mass stars that died and scattered their contents across the cosmos, elements like nitrogen, carbon, oxygen, these elements are the building blocks of life.
Life formed from a process we dont fully understand(i am sure you would go, hey, God did it, but so did galileo when he discovered the dancing of the planets around the sun and called it the work of zeus, and isaac newton after explaining how gravity works failed to recognize the undelying mechanism behind it, he said God did it, well we now know galileo was talking about gravity and newton was talking about the curvature of space and time) but when we do, it would be most inspiring and from there life just evolved to the complexity that we see before us today, Yes all of this was a mere chance.
Well, i most certainly wont change your mind about your religion, thats not my aim, i just wanted to educate you a little bit but before i close my curtain, i want to give you some statistics, i am sure that you know that the sun is a star(a medium sized star, if you dont know, please you need some serious tutoring) and its just one of 100 billion stars in our galaxy, now using the sun's number of planets, we can say on an average that a star should have about Five(5) planets(Now these are just estimates), Given those figures, we have about 500 to 1000 billion planets in our galaxy(which is called the milky way galaxy), now imagine that we have discovered not just millions but billions of galaxies each with nothing less of a 100 billion stars in them and most-likely with trillions and trillions of planets. Just the fact that the universe was created for a tiny intelligent set of primates on a small habitable planet in a remote region of the milky way galaxy in a small group of cluster galaxies in a remote part of the universe is a very very very laughable idea, trust me and if you think atheist dont have morals or dont believe in anything, i assure you that you are most wrong, because that singular fact that we came out of chance to experience this disaster turned beautiful, is more than just humbly, its most magical.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by simplisity(m): 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
Joshuabase:

it should be illegal for people with your beliefs to walk around in society
Pride or ego can deprive a man alot of things, especialy wen he knows d truth and refuse to embrace it. That is what happened to satan and deprived himself his glory.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 07, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Accepted. I sense an undertone of amusement, which is fine. We buried it in my folks' backyard and they also thought it was insane, so I get it (especially when they saw the 'grave site' below). On a serious note, I don't recommend hamsters as pets for young children due to their short lifespan, and having to explain the finality of death perhaps too early.

Moving on, in reference to America, do you truly believe atheism is en vogue here? Or were you speaking from a purely European perspective as I suspected?

As an adult I find it very funny to bury a hamster but I understand that people bury their pets, especially with kids.

I don't know about America. Judging from the political speeches, in which leaders always say "God bless America" probably not but I was talking from a European perspective. You were right.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:19am On Oct 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

As an adult I find it very funny to bury a hamster but I understand that people bury their pets, especially with kids.

I don't know about America. Judging from the political speeches, in which leaders always say "God bless America" probably not but I was talking from a European perspective. You were right.

What would you do? Throw the dead pet in a field somewhere? undecided I understand your amusement on the 'extra', but you have to let children express themselves sometimes. And either way, it needed to be buried - its dead.

Yh, you can't compare us to Europe. They're way ahead of us in some respects, more glaringly on thoughts regarding religion (though early America deserves the credit on getting the ball rolling, surely). Do you truly believe its honest to claim Einstein for religion?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 08, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

What would you do? Throw the dead pet in a field somewhere? undecided I understand your amusement on the 'extra', but you have to let children express themselves sometimes. And either way, it needed to be buried - its dead.

Don't get me wrong please. It's amusing but understandable. I would have probably done same with kids.

Yh, you can't compare us to Europe. They're way ahead of us in some respects, more glaringly on thoughts regarding religion (though early America deserves the credit on getting the ball rolling, surely). Do you truly believe its honest to claim Einstein for religion?

I don't claim Einstein for religion. I am just saying that he wasn't an atheist.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

Don't get me wrong please. It's amusing but understandable. I would have probably done same with kids.

I don't claim Einstein for religion. I am just saying that he wasn't an atheist.

Its not that serious. I was genuinely asking, because I found your comment strange.

I'd say he seems more inclined towards atheism. At the very least, it's clear he didn't believe in a personal god. I'd be interested in your thoughts regarding the following quotes from Einstein, if you're so inclined:

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. This is a somewhat new kind of religion."

"The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive."

"I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism."

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by davien(m): 3:50pm On Oct 08, 2015
AnnieOakley:

We're in agreement on this.

All truth is God's truth, someone once said. Science and God are not in conflict and never will be. The problem is with us humans.
Are you a creationist?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 08, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Its not that serious. I was genuinely asking, because I found your comment strange.

I'd say he seems more inclined towards atheism. At the very least, it's clear he didn't believe in a personal god. I'd be interested in your thoughts regarding the following quotes from Einstein, if you're so inclined:

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. This is a somewhat new kind of religion."

"The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive."

"I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of humility. This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism."

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

No, he is not inclined toward atheism and none of your quotes proves that he was inclined towards atheism. Al you can deduce from your posts is that he wasn't religious and that he didn't believe in a personal God. That doesn't mean that he didn't believe in God at all.

This is what he said about atheism:

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

Einstein had previously explored the belief that man could not understand the nature of God. In an interview published in 1930 in G. S. Viereck's book Glimpses of the Great, Einstein, in response to a question about whether or not he defined himself as a pantheist, explained:

Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."
(Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? 2001, chapter 3.)
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by davien(m): 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2015
Mindfulness:

No, he is not inclined toward atheism and none of your quotes proves that he was inclined towards atheism. Al you can deduce from your posts is that he wasn't religious and that he didn't believe in a personal God. That doesn't mean that he didn't believe in God at all.

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

Einstein had previously explored the belief that man could not understand the nature of God. In an interview published in 1930 in G. S. Viereck's book Glimpses of the Great, Einstein, in response to a question about whether or not he defined himself as a pantheist, explained:

Your question is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations. I am fascinated by Spinoza's Pantheism. I admire even more his contributions to modern thought. Spinoza is the greatest of modern philosophers, because he is the first philosopher who deals with the soul and the body as one, not as two separate things.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."
(Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? 2001, chapter 3.)
How can you say the universe obeys laws when naturalistic laws are merely cause and effect patterns that are not always applicable and not entirely universal?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by orisa37: 4:38pm On Oct 08, 2015
Cutehector:
Ifa priest
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by orisa37: 5:20pm On Oct 08, 2015
Nothing is athiest. Athiest is nothing, is foolishness, sillyness and ignorance. Something is thiest. Thiest is something, Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding. One English Professor of Physics, a student of Darwin and Aristotle, in one of his Lectures to a gathering of seven days Adventist Priests, once said that it is an unthinking Scientist who wouldn't know that there must a Fuse, Fulcrum, Trigger and a hand that blew open the Big Bang. That Hand is Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding. That Hand is God. That Hand is Something, Science, Arts and Pneumatology and is God.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Ovamboland(m): 6:36pm On Oct 08, 2015
omojeesu:
Atheism is deception, foolishness and rebellion against the Creator put together!

which creator are they rebelling against, jehova, elohim, allah, vishnu, osiris, zeus, olodumare, chuwkwu or which?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 08, 2015
davien:
How can you say the universe obeys laws when naturalistic laws are merely cause and effect patterns that are not always applicable and not entirely universal?

I said it?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by NiceHans: 6:57pm On Oct 08, 2015
As scientist and doctor, with vast understanding of the human body and mechanics and the marvels of the intricacies of human life, i ve strong believe that all that couldnot have happened by accident, no, not at all, its something beautiful and must have been created by a being with wisdom, absolute wisdom above human abilities and thats responsible for all creatures too. Call me a creationist idc, cause its the truth and the truth is that God exists, no matter how people deny it. The truth always is there

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 09, 2015
Mindfulness:

Alright. I'm aware of all this, and its fair enough, but agnosticism and atheism are arguably two sides to a coin. Please, note that the Spinozianmodel of "religion" embraced by the likes of big name scientists such as Albert Einstein and Carl Sagan is nothing like supernatural god/gods/religions that generally surrounds us:

"To sense that behind anything that can be experienced, there is a something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious.' In this sense I too am religious, with the reservation that 'cannot grasp' does not have to mean 'forever ungraspable'. But I prefer not to call myself religious because it is misleading. It is destructively mis- leading because, for the vast majority of people, 'religion' implies 'supernatural'" - A. Einstein

"If by "God" one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying . . . it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity." - C. Sagan
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 09, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Alright. I'm aware of all this, and its fair enough, but agnosticism and atheism are arguably two sides to a coin. Please, note that the Spinozian/Einsteinian model of "religion" is nothing like supernatural religion that surrounds us:

"To sense that behind anything that can be experienced, there is a something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly and as a feeble reflection, this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious.' In this sense I too am religious, with the reservation that 'cannot grasp' does not have to mean 'forever ungraspable'. But I prefer not to call myself religious because it is misleading. It is destructively mis- leading because, for the vast majority of people, 'religion' implies 'supernatural'" - A. Einstein

How are atheism and agnosticism two sides to a coin?

Was Einstein an agnostic?

Supernatural religion religion that surrounds us? What exactly are you talking about?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 11, 2015
Mindfulness:

How are atheism and agnosticism two sides to a coin?

Was Einstein an agnostic?

Supernatural religion religion that surrounds us? What exactly are you talking about?

Well, on the question of the existence of god(s), atheism and agnosticism are both skeptic "unbeliever" positions - one dealing with [dis]belief (atheism), the other with [an inherent lack of] knowledge (agnosticism). Its evident that Einstein was adamant about not being labeled an atheist due to his dislike of their supposedly 'combative' nature (some atheists), but if we judge him purely on the basis of one of its definitions (a disbelief in the supernatural), he manages to fit the bill quite perfectly. Still, he preferred the label of agnosticism, and it ultimately fits him better since the vast majority of his assertions were overwhelmingly knowledge/understanding-based in nature. This is clear, even from one of your many quotes on him:

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You may call me an AGNOSTIC (here Einstein embraces/resigns himself to the "Agnostic" label), but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth (here Einstein disassociates himself from the "Atheist" label mainly due to their fervor and supposed lack of humility) I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Highly agnostic) - A. Einstein

What I meant was, we're quite literally surrounded by religions that are supernatural in the extreme. In fact, it's something of a challenge to name a religion that isn't supernatural. Its what I believe piqued my interest in philosophy - no fairies.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 11, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Well, on the question of the existence of god(s), atheism and agnosticism are both skeptic "unbeliever" positions - one dealing with [dis]belief (atheism), the other with [an inherent lack of] knowledge (agnosticism).

No, they are not. First of all, both positions are based on belief and not on knowledge. In this, they are no different from the position of people who believe that God exists.

An atheist BELIEVES that God doesn't exist. An agnostic BELIEVES that it is not possible to KNOW whether God exists. None of these people can be called "unbelievers", their positions are based on belief. Belief is not knowledge.

The difference between an atheist and an agnostic is that an atheist strictly refuses the belief in a God whereas an agnostic doesn't.
I believe in God and yet I call myself an agnostic because it is not possible, at least for now, to KNOW or to prove that God exists.

Einstein didn't know and couldn't prove if God exists but he didn't refuse the possibility altogether. On contrary, his engagement with and involvement in science would make him BELIEVE that there is something behind the astonishing order of the universe.

Its evident that Einstein was adamant about not being labeled an atheist due to his dislike of their supposedly 'combative' nature (some atheists), but if we judge him purely on the basis of one of its definitions (a disbelief in the supernatural), he manages to fit the bill quite perfectly.

First of all, the reason why he didn't want to be labeled an atheist was not only because he considered atheists to be 'combative' but also because he knew that they know as much as someone who believes in God's existence. They know nothing about God's existence. This is humility as opposed to arrogance.

Secondly, I don't have to judge him. He didn't want to be called an atheist and this is it. I accept it.

Still, he preferred the label of agnosticism, and it ultimately fits him better since the vast majority of his assertions were overwhelmingly knowledge/understanding-based in nature. This is clear, even from one of your many quotes on him:

"I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You may call me an AGNOSTIC (here Einstein embraces/resigns himself to the "Agnostic" label), but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth (here Einstein disassociates himself from the "Atheist" label mainly due to their fervor and supposed lack of humility) I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being." (Highly agnostic) - A. Einstein

You may call me an agnostic doesn't mean that he didn't believe in God. Like I said, you can be an agnostic and still believe in God. One does not exclude the other, it is a humble position that considers the difference between faith and knowledge.

You have left out the end of this quote, which is important.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

He wonders why people do not believe in God despite the harmony of the universe. And he doesn't want to be associated with them.

What I meant was, we're quite literally surrounded by religions that are supernatural in the extreme. In fact, it's something of a challenge to name a religion that isn't supernatural. Its what I believe piqued my interest in philosophy - no fairies.

Supernatural simply means that something cannot be explained by science. I don't see anything wrong with it. The more questions science answers, the more questions pop up. This is just the way it is. And this means that we will always live with the supernatural, the inexplicable, even if it is temporary until we answer the next question in order to give birth to another.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 11, 2015
Mindfulness:

No, they are not. First of all, both positions are based on belief and not on knowledge. In this, they are no different fro[quote author=Mindfulness post=38872370]

No, they are not. First of all, both positions are based on belief and not on knowledge. In this, they are no different from the position of people who believe that God exists.

An atheist BELIEVES that God doesn't exist. An agnostic BELIEVES thinks that it is not possible to KNOW whether God exists. None of these people can be called "unbelievers", their positions are based on belief. Belief is not knowledge.

The difference between an atheist and an agnostic is that an atheist strictly refuses the belief in a God whereas an agnostic doesn't.
I believe in God and yet I call myself an agnostic because it is not possible, at least for now, to KNOW or to prove that God exists.

Giant False! Only the positions of theism and atheism stem from belief. Agnosticism is based on knowledge (or rather lack thereof).

Theist: I believe in a god(s).
Agnostic: I can't/don't know that there is a god(s)
Atheist: I don't believe in a god(s).

An atheist doesnt refuse to believe, he simply doesn't believe (belief cannot be forced in any capacity!).

@ bold You're not a mere agnostic. You're an agnostic theist! Don't confuse your position with plain agnosticism, which is a perfectly stable stance all its own, and one that doesn't necessarily involve belief.

Einstein didn't know and couldn't prove if God exists but he didn't refuse the possibility altogether (AGNOSTIC). On contrary, his engagement with and involvement in science would make him BELIEVE UNDERSTAND that there is PERHAPS something behind the astonishing order of the universe (....beyond our human comprehension/knowledge)

Fixed.
BTW, that "something" for him was NOT supernatural, but naturalistic and therefore in line with the laws of nature. Notice the obvious agnosticism?

First of all, the reason why he didn't want to be labeled an atheist was not only because he considered atheists to be 'combative' but also because he knew that they know as much as someone who believes in God's existence. They know nothing about God's existence. This is humility as opposed to arrogance.

I don't disagree with this portion.

Secondly, I don't have to judge him. He didn't want to be called an atheist and this is it. I accept it.

Though I accept, an intellectual is wont to judge based on the reality of the matter vs the sentiment.

You may call me an agnostic doesn't mean that he didn't believe in God. Like I said, you can be an agnostic and still believe in God. One does not exclude the other, it is a humble position that considers the difference between faith and knowledge.

Here you discredit and contradict your first words. But yes, in the same way theism and agnosticism do not contradict each other, neither do atheism and agnosticism. As such, you can have an agnostic atheist, an agnostic theist, a gnostic atheist, or a gnostic theist, etc.

You have left out the end of this quote, which is important.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

He wonders why people do not believe in God despite the harmony of the universe (No! Rather he RESENTS their absolutist views/reasoning based on limited knowledge!) And he doesn't want to be associated with them.

You're reaching here, and reading out of context to match your opinions. He's lashing out at atheists for associating themselves with him, which he didn't appreciate due to reasons we've already covered. He was known to lash out and disassociate himself from atheists and theists alike during his lifetime. Again, notice how he references his lack of complete knowledge, and limited human mind to bolster his indignation? (hint: Agnosticism).

Supernatural simply means that something cannot be explained by science. I don't see anything wrong with it. The more questions science answers, the more questions pop up. This is just the way it is. And this means that we will always live with the supernatural, the inexplicable, even if it is temporary until we answer the next question in order to give birth to another.

No. Our inability to answer a scientific question at this time doesn't necessarily make a process "supernatural", but one yet to be understood by us. That's contrary to the brand of "supernatural" commonly found in religion, like the popular story of a virgin girl who gave birth to a fatherless child for a supernatural god, for example. Einstein didn't believe in a supernatural god, but spoke of a naturalistic one in terms of uncertainty (due to his 'limited human mind').

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Giant False! Only the positions of theism and atheism stem from belief. Agnosticism is based on knowledge (or rather lack thereof).

Theist: I believe in a god(s).
Agnostic: I can't/don't know that there is a god(s)
Atheist: I don't believe in a god(s).

An atheist doesnt refuse to believe, he simply doesn't believe (belief cannot be forced in any capacity!).

All positions are based on the lack of knowledge. No human being KNOWS if God exists, not a theist, not an atheist neither an agnostic.
A theist BELIEVES. An atheist doesn't BELIEVE. An agnostic doesn't have a DEFINITE BELIEF that God exists. ALL these positions are based on a lack of knowledge.

Even according to your definitions above it is clear that EVERYONE is an agnostic. Whether you are an atheist or a theist, you DON'T KNOW if God exists. You can choose to believe that God exists or you can choose to believe that God doesn't exist. Whatever you choose to BELIEVE, you DON'T KNOW.

And I never said that belief can be forced. Belief is a matter of CHOICE.

@ bold You're not a mere agnostic. You're an agnostic theist! Don't confuse your position with plain agnosticism, which is a perfectly stable stance all its own, and one that doesn't necessarily involve belief.

I am not confusing anything. You said that atheists and agnostics are "sceptic unbelievers" and I proved you wrong. I am an agnostic (I don't know if God exists.) but I CHOOSE to believe that God does exist. It is so simple.

Fixed.
BTW, that "something" for him was NOT supernatural, but naturalistic and therefore in line with the laws of nature. Notice the obvious agnosticism?

How can something be NOT supernatural FOR HIM? Something is either supernatural, not explicable by scientific methods or it is explicable by scientific methods. There is no subjectivity in this.

@bold
The question doesn't make sense in this context.

I don't disagree with this portion.

Though I accept, an intellectual is wont to judge based on the reality of the matter vs the sentiment.

And the reality is that Einstein didn't want to be considered an atheist.

Here you discredit and contradict your first words. But yes, in the same way theism and agnosticism do not contradict each other, neither do atheism and agnosticism. As such, you can have an agnostic atheist, an agnostic theist, a gnostic atheist, or a gnostic theist, etc.

Good point and just proves my point that we are all agnostics at the end of the day. wink

You're reaching here, and reading out of context to match your opinions. He's lashing out at atheists for associating themselves with him, which he didn't appreciate due to reasons we've already covered. He was known to lash out and disassociate himself from atheists and theists alike during his lifetime. Again, notice how he references his lack of complete knowledge, and limited human mind to bolster his indignation? (hint: Agnosticism)

Define the term "theist".

No. Our inability to answer a scientific question at this time doesn't necessarily make a process "supernatural", but one yet to be understood by us. That's contrary to the brand of "supernatural" commonly found in religion, like the popular story of a virgin girl who gave birth to a fatherless child for a supernatural god, for example. Einstein didn't believe in a supernatural god, but spoke of a naturalistic one in terms of uncertainty (due to his "limited human mind"wink

You put too many words in quotation marks. It would be more helpful to provide a solid definition instead of treating the terms as wishy washy concepts that are vague in meaning.

This is what Einstein once said about his belief in God.

"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

So please tell me now what a theist is.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2015
All Some positions are based on the lack of knowledge. No human being KNOWS if God exists, not a theist, not an atheist neither an agnostic.
A theist BELIEVES. An atheist doesn't BELIEVE. An agnostic claims not to have DEFINITE BELIEF KNOWLEDGE that God exists. [s]ALL these positions are based on a lack of knowledge[/s].

Even according to your definitions above it is clear that EVERYONE is an agnostic. Whether you are an atheist or a theist, you DON'T KNOW if God exists. You can choose to believe that God exists or you can choose to believe that God doesn't exist. Whatever you choose to BELIEVE, you DON'T KNOW.

And I never said that belief can be forced. Belief is a matter of CHOICE.

Fixed.
False! There are scores upon scores of people who wouldn't agree with the idea that proof is the standard of knowing something. Reason you'll easily get many people who'll tell you they know god exists, or know he doesn't without any so-called "proof". Furthermore, "proof" is rather subjective, or can be. I may require scientific proof, but the creationists' "proof" lies in observing "creation". So, no. Not EVERYONE is agnostic by any stretch of the imagination.

On belief being a matter of choice? It depends, really. But moving on...

I am not confusing anything. You said that atheists and agnostics are "sceptic unbelievers" and I proved you wrong. I am an agnostic (I don't know if God exists.) but I CHOOSE to believe that God does exist. It is so simple.

Nah. Nowadays, the term agnosticism alone overwhelmingly refers to the agnostic atheist the majority of the time, and that was my line of thinking as we first started this discussion. To clarify your stance as an agnostic who chooses to believe in a deity, you'd need to dub yourself an agnostic theist.

How can something be NOT supernatural FOR HIM? Something is either supernatural, not explicable by scientific methods or it is explicable by scientific methods. There is no subjectivity in this.

Through an inherent lack of belief in the supernatural!

It's now clear that you're deeply unfamiliar with the concept of Spinoza's god despite your numerous quotations of it. It's naturalistic, and leaves no room for the supernatural! See more below...

And the reality is that Einstein didn't want to be considered an atheist.

Despite his protestations, he falls quite snugly under the category of atheism - that is the reality.

Good point and just proves my point that we are all agnostics at the end of the day. wink

Err, no. It only furthers my point as outlined in first paragraph of this response. The term 'gnostic' and 'agnostic' have opposite meanings. I'll attach an image that I hope will be helpful to you.

Define the term "theist".

Oh look, a definition request undecided Well, here is Merriam-Webster's definition of theism:

"belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically :belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world"

You put too many words in quotation marks. It would be more helpful to provide a solid definition instead of treating the terms as wishy washy concepts that are vague in meaning

I put too many words in quotation marks (TWO)? It would be helpful if I provided solid definitions? Why must every discussion on here regress to posting definitions? You must excuse my extreme annoyance, but its absolutely absurd how people ask for definitions on here.

And whats wishy washy about what I just said?

Maybe we should go our separate ways...if we misunderstand each other thus.

This is what Einstein once said about his belief in God.

"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

So please tell me now what a theist is.

Certainly not Einstein (not a theist, that is!). Let explore this "Spinoza's god", i.e Pantheism. Pantheism (it means "All is God) is a belief in the divinity of NATURE. It stresses that we're all part of ONE, interconnected, dynamic whole, with no supernatural aspect whatsoever. Hence, "god" is not supernatural but naturalistic, and does not transcend science/nature's laws. Spinoza claimed and fervently believed that "All is One", and that everything is also infinite and interconnected with the "One", along with nature and its laws. God is all of us. God is everything. God is nature. He believed in a cosmic religion that transcends the idea of personal God, and theology. This is the "Spinoza's god" we speak of. This is why Einstein cannot be identified as a theist! He was a naturalist, a pantheist who didn't believe in a personal, supernatural god but in the possibility/uncertainty of a naturalistic one that may explain "the harmony of the universe", and appeal to our limited minds. Thus, he did not align himself with either the atheists or the theists!

Here's hoping you realize how "Spinoza's god" (pantheism) doesn't fit the definition of theism above. Farewell.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by ratatis(m): 1:29am On Oct 12, 2015
"After years of thoughts, study & contemplation, I have come to the conclusion that there is only one thing in the universe & that is energy -- beyond that there is supreme intelligence " -- Albert Einstein.

"The most beautiful & most profound experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder & stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. To know that what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom & the most radiant beauty which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their primitive forms - this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness."
- THE MERGING OF SPIRIT AND SCIENCE by Albert Einstein.

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God & avoid dogma & theology, covering both the natural & the spiritual . It should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs, it would be Buddhism." -- Albert Einstein.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 13, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Fixed.
False! There are scores upon scores of people who wouldn't agree with the idea that proof is the standard of knowing something. Reason you'll easily get many people who'll tell you they know god exists, or know he doesn't without any so-called "proof". Furthermore, "proof" is rather subjective, or can be. I may require scientific proof, but the creationists' "proof" lies in observing "creation". So, no. Not EVERYONE is agnostic by any stretch of the imagination.

On belief being a matter of choice? It depends, really. But moving on...

Nah. Nowadays, the term agnosticism alone overwhelmingly refers to the agnostic atheist the majority of the time, and that was my line of thinking as we first started this discussion. To clarify your stance as an agnostic who chooses to believe in a deity, you'd need to dub yourself an agnostic theist.

Through an inherent lack of belief in the supernatural!

It's now clear that you're deeply unfamiliar with the concept of Spinoza's god despite your numerous quotations of it. It's naturalistic, and leaves no room for the supernatural! See more below...

Despite his protestations, he falls quite snugly under the category of atheism - that is the reality.

Err, no. It only furthers my point as outlined in first paragraph of this response. The term 'gnostic' and 'agnostic' have opposite meanings. I'll attach an image that I hope will be helpful to you.

Oh look, a definition request undecided Well, here is Merriam-Webster's definition of theism:

"belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically :belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world"

I put too many words in quotation marks (TWO)? It would be helpful if I provided solid definitions? Why must every discussion on here regress to posting definitions? You must excuse my extreme annoyance, but its absolutely absurd how people ask for definitions on here.

And whats wishy washy about what I just said?

Maybe we should go our separate ways...if we misunderstand each other thus.

Certainly not Einstein (not a theist, that is!). Let explore this "Spinoza's god", i.e Pantheism. Pantheism (it means "All is God) is a belief in the divinity of NATURE. It stresses that we're all part of ONE, interconnected, dynamic whole, with no supernatural aspect whatsoever. Hence, "god" is not supernatural but naturalistic, and does not transcend science/nature's laws. Spinoza claimed and fervently believed that "All is One", and that everything is also infinite and interconnected with the "One", along with nature and its laws. God is all of us. God is everything. God is nature. He believed in a cosmic religion that transcends the idea of personal God, and theology. This is the "Spinoza's god" we speak of. This is why Einstein cannot be identified as a theist! He was a naturalist, a pantheist who didn't believe in a personal, supernatural god but in the possibility/uncertainty of a naturalistic one that may explain "the harmony of the universe", and appeal to our limited minds. Thus, he did not align himself with either the atheists or the theists!

Here's hoping you realize how "Spinoza's god" (pantheism) doesn't fit the definition of theism above. Farewell.

Thanks for the explanation of pantheism, which shows that pantheism is the exact opposite of atheism.

Atheism = God doesn't exist.
Pantheism = everything is part of an all-encompassing God.

Einstein believed in Spinoza's God, pantheism, which is the exact opposite of atheism.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Orders Apostle Suleman To Pay Maureen Badejo £19k / What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / "Buhari, Stop Fighting Corruption" - Prophet Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.