Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (31868 Views)

Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing? / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:

It goes back to the question: Why don't scientists believe in God, the true God?

Which one is the true God ?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
adahib:

Totally on point. Religion as we know it emphasizes the principle of "faith" because that is the only way any sane individual can toe such a line of belief. Religion forbids questions, critical thinking and analysis lest it's n.akedness be brought to the fore. Little wonder those who work based on evidence have little or no use for it. It's embraced fully by those who are too lazy to use their brains.

Lol. Don't get me started on the Ark. I may not stop.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Kbraims(m): 6:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
Coz dia tinkn is not normal,being a genius sometyms lead to craziness

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 6:13pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

larger faith? we simply refuse to abandon logic and bow to the sky worshiping a being that allegedly lives in it.

regardless of whatever the conditions for cells to fully form - or whether free oxygen would've killed it. [b]we know [/b]the primordial cell did form and evolution started because of variations in the environment.

or are you going to say evolution is not real? because there's decades of fossil evidence and anatomical evidence that'll prove you wrong

"We know", really . . .lol.

I honestly careless about bowing or not to anyone, it is a personal thing . . . my point is macro evolution is fallacy, and intelligent/orderly creation has a creator.

Fossils does not prove evolution, it only proves extinction.

And transitional fossils shouldn't be about all the debatable fossils -- it should be littered everywhere like Darwin rightly suggested.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2015
989900:

"We know", really . . .lol.

Fossils does not prove evolution, it only proves extintion.

And transitional fossils shouldn't be about all the debatable fossils -- it should be littered everywhere like Darwin rightly suggested.

did you just say fossils does not prove evolution? - i thought you were smart

and fossils are actually littered every where .... wtf ... where do you people get your information?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 989900: 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

did you just say fossils does not prove evolution? - i thought you were smart

and fossils are actually littered every where .... wtf ... where do you people get your information?

Joshua, like I advised earlier, always calm down to properly assimilate before replying to my comments.
Now read again, if you still don't get it; I'll help you.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by eliteperfume(m): 6:39pm On Oct 04, 2015
Scientists are the true prophets of "God", they bring work of "God" to reality. Religion is too theoretical, science shapes the world we live not religion.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2015
Oliviaarims:
One primary reason is that...scientists deal with empirical verification. It is on this basis that their theories are embedded. And being thus far entrenched in this,they reject anything that cannot be empirically proven...and the notion of God is chief amongst them.....

Hahahaha,now I see ppl philosophising. This is good!!

#Philosopher Quëën#

You try small sha but it goes beyond proof , empirical or otherwise.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

Sorry? Stigma? Evident? Where? In the West or in Africa?

One of my dearest mentors, a natural scientist, who retired two years ago, said that his profession didn't make him believe less in a supreme form of intelligence but the more. The more he understood how beautifully and perfectly designed the universe is, the deeper his faith became. This man lives in a country where atheism is en vogue. This is an isolated case but there are plenty of scientists who share his view and those who don't, definitely don't hide them due to some imaginary stigma.

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive.

Hey there. I was speaking in reference to America. Atheism is hardly en vogue here. I'd wager your mentor resides in Europe, correct?

Well, I'm in dire need of some rest for now. I was helping my neice and nephew bury their pet hamster not too long ago, and I need some sleep and time to hangout, but I'll def come back later to further elucidate on my views.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by adahib: 6:54pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

@the pic And the SUPERNATURAL - defies natural laws- could not hasten the movements of those birds ?

Still back to where we started- "faith" but no evidence. A lot of if,maybe, could, could not,perhaps, etc. If you want to be sincere, I'm sure you will see the stupidity of the anology. Smh
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 04, 2015
neoapocalypse:

You try small sha but it goes beyond proof , empirical or otherwise.
Sure,I know...I stated it's one reason..not the only reason.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Hey there. I was speaking in reference to America. Atheism is hardly en vogue here. I'd wager your mentor resides in Europe, correct?

Well, I'm in dire need of some rest for now. I was helping my neice and nephew bury their pet hamster not too long ago, and I need some sleep and time to hangout, but I'll def come back later to further elucidate on my views.

Cool.

My condolences for the hamster.

grin
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by musicwriter(m): 7:15pm On Oct 04, 2015
sonofananimal:
the word science is got from the word sense knowledge.

What you use your five sense organs to perceive and interpret things related to your environment. So nothing will ever make sense to a science man when it comes to spirituality. You know why?

The things of the sprit is far more greater than the things of the physical. And we (Christian) operate mostly of things that deal with spirit that make no ordinary sense to a science man.

That's correct!.

And I explained a bit of that in my youtube lessons. Science do not have the tool to investigate things of the spirit, because the only tool available to science in logic, mathematics, which all adds up to empiricism as it's only instrument.

But, is logic, mathematics, empiricism, the only way to arrive at a conclusion?. Experience shows that's not the case.

The good news is the greatest minds(mentioned in my last post) that created science itself embraced both spiritualism and empiricism. This's why I believe science is just pitching on a small area of knowledge. As Albert Einstein admitted, there's a vast area of nature still unknown that science seem too limited to investigate. Einstein's exact quote is on @Mindfulness earlier post.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

How was he a Jew (his father a full-blooded German, and his mother an half Jew)?

Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, in the Kingdom of Württemberg in the German Empire on 14 March 1879.[15] His parents were Hermann Einstein, a salesman and engineer, and Pauline Koch. In 1880, the family moved to Munich, where his father and his uncle founded Elektrotechnische Fabrik J. Einstein & Cie, a company that manufactured electrical equipment based on direct current.

The Einsteins were non-observant Ashkenazi Jews. Albert attended a Catholic elementary school from the age of 5 for three years. At the age of 8, he was transferred to the Luitpold Gymnasium (now known as the Albert Einstein Gymnasium), where he received advanced primary and secondary school education until he left Germany seven years later.

(...)

In April 1933, he also discovered that the new German government had passed laws barring Jews from holding any official positions, including teaching at universities.[67] Historian Gerald Holton describes how, with "virtually no audible protest being raised by their colleagues," thousands of Jewish scientists were suddenly forced to give up their university positions and their names were removed from the rolls of institutions where they were employed.[57]

A month later, Einstein's works were among those targeted by Nazi book burnings, with Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels proclaiming, "Jewish intellectualism is dead."[67] One German magazine included him in a list of enemies of the German regime with the phrase, "not yet hanged", offering a $5,000 bounty on his head

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Refugee_status

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
He did call himself agnostic.

An agnostic doesn't deny the existence of God.

I believe in God and I also consider myself to be an agnostic according to the following definition:

"a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic

I believe in God so I am a believer but I don't know if God exists so I am an agnostic.

Knowledge and faith are two very different things. Don't get it twisted.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 04, 2015
neocortex:

Not until a mob descend on a person before
you know there is stigma.
corporate workers, contractors and job seekers who have experienced subtle
but destructive stigmas can explain better to you.

Maybe. Where I live, people are turning away from religion and it is en vogue to call yourself atheist.

About your mentor, he is simply "researching for faith", religion
proponent are so smart to have placed a burden of association
on their members so that whenever they come across any conflicting
information instead of asking more relevant question they choose to
side with their faith.

How do you know?

That is why you will see someone who just discovered how complex
the brain is suddenly shout : "Glory be to god who created this".

So far no scientist has been able to prove that God doesn't exist.

Just ask them what is the correlation between brain being complex and
god and they answer with "did you create yourself"

I don't know this kind of people and I have never been given such an answer.

Your last point sound comical;
how can you say evidence and "lack of evidence" are not mutually exclusive ?

They co-exist, don't they?

Finally, I understand why a no-believe life may sound terrifying to you, it
is known that the most difficult thing to do is change one's believe
even though there is no evidence supporting it.

You are assuming too much. I was a firm believer and then I decided to become an atheist and along the way I discovered that agnosticism makes more sense TO ME. Careful with your assertions and generalizations. A "no-believe life", as you call it, was in no way terrifying to me.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 04, 2015
neocortex:

That is his opinion, the general truth is that most people who
keep to faith do so because of fear of the unknown.
Remove that fear and you will have an untangled simple human
who recognizes his/her own existence as real.

Not true!

I was once an atheist and I didn't find it scary. I just discovered that it doesn't make sense TO ME.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
He did call himself agnostic.

By the way, this is what I said right at the beginning when quoting Einstein.

Einstein was not an atheist, explaining at one point: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You [size=18pt]may[/size] call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."[1] According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said,[size=18pt] "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.[/size]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein#Agnosticism.2C_deism.2C_and_atheism

A genius indeed!
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 04, 2015
No atheists or agnostics our whatever should be taken seriously who has never read the Bible from cover to cover.

Why?

The very nature of science demands the study of every assertion, irrespective of one's personal belief or disposition.

The very fact that this people spend the better part of their time debunking the existence of a Creator strengthens the long held belief that they know there is a God, but deny His existence because they hate him.

I know there is a God. I just don't want you to discover that only after you've crossed over.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by omojeesu(m): 7:48pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

the designer analogy is also bogus, to know something was designed, is to have knowledge of how it was designed and also to have knowledge of comparable depth to something that wasn't designed.

eg i know what a beautiful painting looks like, because i've seen ugly ones - if you tell me this universe was designed, then it means you've seen universes that wasn't designed

Good or bad painting has a painter. Simple cause and effect.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by neocortex: 7:53pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

Maybe. Where I live, people are turning away from religion and it is en vogue to call yourself atheist.

How do you know?

So far no scientist has been able to prove that God doesn't exist.

I don't know this kind of people and I have never been given such an answer.

They co-exist, don't they?

You are assuming too much. I was a firm believer and then I decided to become an atheist and along the way I discovered that agnosticism makes more sense TO ME. Careful with your assertions and generalizations. A "no-believe life", as you call it, was in no way terrifying to me.

I had assumed you are an evangelical theist.
Since you an agnostic, no problem.

@ the bold statement what answer do you normally receive ?

From your moniker will I be right to assume you are pro buhdist ?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:56pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

*big sigh*

technically, germ cells are not alive. they simply contain genetic information. and a cell was built using that genetic information.

building a cell from scratch requires protein. scientists have already been able to synthesize protein artificially from ammonia.

germ cells are not alive shocked shocked shocked

They are biological cells and not artificial cells therefore they are alive

Go home Josh , you are drunk
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2015
neocortex:

I had assumed you are an evangelical theist.
Since you an agnostic, no problem.

I am an agnostic and I embrace Christian core values.

@ the bold statement what answer do you normally receive ?

The answer is: We don't know (yet).

From your moniker will I be right to assume you are pro-buhdism ?

I love Buddhism but I do not think of it as a religion even though millions of people do. I would rather call it a lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

I am an agnostic and I embrace Christian core values.

I think you are contradicting yourself . If you believe in God then you are sure of His existence .
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

I think you are contradicting yourself . If you believe in God then you are sure of His existence .

I didn't say I know that God exists, I said I believe that God exists. There is a huge difference between knowing and believing.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

I didn't say I know that God exists, I said I believe that God exists. There is a huge difference between knowing and believing.

And I'm saying that if you believe God exists then you are sure He exists . You cant say you believe in God and not sure He exists - it does not make any sense
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

And I'm saying that if you believe God exists then you are sure He exists . You cant say you believe in God and not sure He exists - it does not make any sense

I believe that I will be a billionaire one day. Can I be sure I will?

I believe that I will wake up tomorrow and do what I have to do. Can I be sure that I won't die tonight?

Whether it makes sense to you or not, I tell you, I believe that God exists but I am not sure.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 04, 2015
musicwriter:

That's correct!.

And I explained a bit of that in my youtube lessons. Science do not have the tool to investigate things of the spirit, because the only tool available to science in logic, mathematics, which all adds up to empiricism as it's only instrument.

But, is logic, mathematics, empiricism, the only way to arrive at a conclusion?. Experience shows that's not the case.

The good news is the greatest minds(mentioned in my last lost) that created science itself embraced both spiritualism and empiricism. This's why I believe science is just pitching on a small area of knowledge. As Albert Einstein admitted, there's a vast area of nature still unknown that science seem too limited to investigate. Einstein's exact quote is on @Mindfulness earlier post.
very very true. We haven't discover anything yet. allow me to say this:

Science is still in it baby form
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:
No atheists or agnostics our whatever should be taken seriously who has never read the Bible from cover to cover.

Why?

The very nature of science demands the study of every assertion, irrespective of one's personal belief or disposition.

The very fact that this people spend the better part of their time debunking the existence of a Creator strengthens the long held belief that they know there is a God, but deny His existence because they hate him.

I know there is a God. I just don't want you to discover that only after you've crossed over.

Madam why evade my question , which one is the true God ?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

It's clear you're the drunk one
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by ToyinDipo(m): 8:54pm On Oct 04, 2015
@op, Eistein was never an atheist, in fact I would have half believed you, if you said Newton was. Because it was at the point of death or near that Newton acknowledged God. I have read extensively about Eistein, even though it's been long, and I can confirm to you that he wasn't an atheist, though I'm not saying he was a Christian. Sometimes you hear Eistein saying, even in God's awesomeness he has not hidden the mystery of the universe from humans. Then some other time, you may hear him saying God is mischievous, because he makes people think they understand the workings of the universe, whereas humans can barely truly understand it. #fact
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

did you just say reasonings? like what you believe in is reasonable?

a god that kills babies and children? a god that endorsed slavery ? a god that wiped out civilizations?

and yet you'll go to church on sunday and sing "god is love"

richard dawkings says Christians are no different muslims because of their definition of love means killing people.
...people die. Disaster happens every sec. That does not imply God endorsed negativity. Richard Dawkings is a mere human like you and I,it does not imply his opinion is supreme. We all have heart-burns, it does not mean God does not exist or does not exist. Buddy, I wish God can speak for himself about His existence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Orders Apostle Suleman To Pay Maureen Badejo £19k / What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / "Buhari, Stop Fighting Corruption" - Prophet Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.