Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,056 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (31882 Views)

Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing? / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by YINKS89(m): 1:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
Next
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by bqlekan(m): 1:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
Lemme book here first
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by mowah: 1:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
H
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by allanphash7(m): 1:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
Because there is no prove that there is and no prove yet that there is not

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by onegig(m): 1:59pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:

Connection between higher intelligence and belief in a supreme being. embarassed

That discourse would be subjective to an high degree.

Environment, upbringing, preferences, experience and so many things influence people's thought process. You can't just narrow it down to IQ

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by tintingz(m): 2:00pm On Oct 04, 2015
There is science in Quran.

Islam and Science are friends.
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by menix(m): 2:00pm On Oct 04, 2015
When u re brilliant u tend to sway to Atheism...

Jst like the parable of d Rich Fool..

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by clinton101(m): 2:01pm On Oct 04, 2015
Cos dey re fools. In d begin..g was wit God.dere was not scientist.and world was wit God.n dere was no scientist.so dey re fools
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 04, 2015
They feel that religion is incompatible with a scientific mind and ofc as a Christian I am inclined to disagree. I do see their point tho.

FriedPlantian grin kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2015
One primary reason is that...scientists deal with empirical verification. It is on this basis that their theories are embedded. And being thus far entrenched in this,they reject anything that cannot be empirically proven...and the notion of God is chief amongst them.....

Hahahaha,now I see ppl philosophising. This is good!!

#Philosopher Quëën#

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by shota(m): 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2015

9 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by seedorfg(m): 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
there are clowns
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by lolaxavier(m): 2:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
Because god does not exist...shikena

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 2:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
Well, it's pretty hard to believe in the concept of god as postulated by religion if you love "reason" and science is basically reasoning to determine truth.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 04, 2015
You mean mediocre scientists?

Because I know that exceptional scientists see God in science. Science is a declaration of a sophisticated God of creation.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by 247notire(m): 2:06pm On Oct 04, 2015
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
I thank God for the coming revival, which is the last. many people will change their views about God.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by neocortex: 2:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

Sorry? Stigma? Evident? Where? In the West or in Africa?

One of my dearest mentors, a natural scientist, who retired two years ago, said that his profession didn't make him believe less in a supreme form of intelligence but the more. The more he understood how beautifully and perfectly designed the universe is, the deeper his faith became. This man lives in a country where atheism is en vogue. This is an isolated case but there are plenty of scientists who share his view and those who don't, definitely don't hide them due to some imaginary stigma.

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive.

That is his opinion, the general truth is that most people who
keep to faith do so because of fear of the unknown.
Remove that fear and you will have an untangled simple human
who recognizes his/her own existence as real.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by neocortex: 2:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
@AnnieOakley you shouldn't be surprised that high intelligence and "successful"
individual are less likely to believe in a fairy god.
Faith isn't based on evidence but fear.
If you ask pertinent questions about life itself , you will likely come to the conclusion
that the idea of a "god" is just fantasy.

While there are some scientists who believe in a "personal God", most religious folk
tend to brand that as evidence of god supremacy failing to ask what "personal god"
means.

@OP I believe the reason you brought up this post is because you have some
doubts in you. Keep exploring and seeking the truth , you will surely find it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by gr8eminent(m): 2:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:

You say he was not an atheist but I insist he was. I know he was never a Christian. Christianity goes beyond saying nice things about the faith. Everybody knows he doesn't even look Christian!
Bible story book showed the Apostles with similar moustache and bald head.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
they are usually agnostics ... they dont know if there is a God or not
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by koife(m): 2:11pm On Oct 04, 2015
I am a scientist and I believe in God, so...what your argument about?when u say scientist RU only talking about whites and their inventors of old? Pls expantiate@Op
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
osamaBUSH:
Science is all about making sense of things and frankly most things in religion don't make any sense unless ofcourse you put it up against another religion.

Confirm.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 2:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

He was Jewish! Or at least his family was.

This is why he left Germany. He was fleeing from the Nazis.

Some of his letters have been published recently from which we know that he believed in God. You don't have to be Christian to believe in God.
He did call himself agnostic.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 04, 2015
koife:
I am a scientist and I believe in God, so...what your argument about?when u say scientist RU only talking about whites and their inventors of old? Pls expantiate@Op

He never used the word "ALL". There is an exception to every rule so go and simmer down.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
Scientists dont believe in God - an assertion .

The problem is scientists who are atheists tend to be more outspoken since they are an insignificant minority . Look at countries like India , UAE , Germany , Russia , America ,Italy , France , UK - there are scientists in these countries who are doing so much better and are fine with their belief .

Looking back at history , the greatest scientists were theists - believers of God/Supernatural - that's a fun fact .

Atheists in Nairaland want to give people that impression that a theist cannot be a scientist , but since they are an insignificant minority dont take their ludicrous words seriously smiley wink

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by omonnakoda: 2:21pm On Oct 04, 2015
teeowl:
they are usually agnostics ... they dont know if there is a God or not

No one knows if there is a god or not some just choose to deceive themselves and others.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Well, it's pretty hard to believe in the concept of god as postulated by religion if you love "reason" and science is basically reasoning to determine truth.

Christianity possesses an irrefutable knowledge of God's existence and power , have you guys disproven that 'claim' ? undecided grin
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Orikinla(m): 2:24pm On Oct 04, 2015
[size=18pt]Who told you that scientists don't believe in God?

Please, read about the scientists in the Genome Project.

'I've Found God' Says Man
Who Cracked Genome
By Steven Swinford
The Sunday Times
6-11-6

THE scientist who led the team that cracked the human genome is to publish a book explaining why he now believes in the existence of God and is convinced that miracles are real.

Francis Collins, the director of the US National Human Genome Research Institute, claims there is a rational basis for a creator and that scientific discoveries bring man "closer to God".

His book, The Language of God, to be published in September, will reopen the age-old debate about the relationship between science and faith. "One of the great tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war," said Collins, 56.

"I don't see that as necessary at all and I think it is deeply disappointing that the shrill voices that occupy the extremes of this spectrum have dominated the stage for the past 20 years."

For Collins, unravelling the human genome did not create a conflict in his mind. Instead, it allowed him to "glimpse at the workings of God".

"When you make a breakthrough it is a moment of scientific exhilaration because you have been on this search and seem to have found it," he said. "But it is also a moment where I at least feel closeness to the creator in the sense of having now perceived something that no human knew before but God knew all along.

"When you have for the first time in front of you this 3.1 billion-letter instruction book that conveys all kinds of information and all kinds of mystery about humankind, you can't survey that going through page after page without a sense of awe. I can't help but look at those pages and have a vague sense that this is giving me a glimpse of God's mind."

Collins joins a line of scientists whose research deepened their belief in God. Isaac Newton, whose discovery of the laws of gravity reshaped our understanding of the universe, said: "This most beautiful system could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful being."

Although Einstein revolutionised our thinking about time, gravity and the conversion of matter to energy, he believed the universe had a creator. "I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details," he said. However Galileo was famously questioned by the inquisition and put on trial in 1633 for the "heresy" of claiming that the earth moved around the sun.

Among Collins's most controversial beliefs is that of "theistic evolution", which claims natural selection is the tool that God chose to create man. In his version of the theory, he argues that man will not evolve further.

"I see God's hand at work through the mechanism of evolution. If God chose to create human beings in his image and decided that the mechanism of evolution was an elegant way to accomplish that goal, who are we to say that is not the way," he says.

"Scientifically, the forces of evolution by natural selection have been profoundly affected for humankind by the changes in culture and environment and the expansion of the human species to 6 billion members. So what you see is pretty much what you get."

Collins was an atheist until the age of 27, when as a young doctor he was impressed by the strength that faith gave to some of his most critical patients.

"They had terrible diseases from which they were probably not going to escape, and yet instead of railing at God they seemed to lean on their faith as a source of great comfort and reassurance," he said. "That was interesting, puzzling and unsettling."

He decided to visit a Methodist minister and was given a copy of C S Lewis's Mere Christianity, which argues that God is a rational possibility. The book transformed his life. "It was an argument I was not prepared to hear," he said. "I was very happy with the idea that God didn't exist, and had no interest in me. And yet at the same time, I could not turn away."

His epiphany came when he went hiking through the Cascade Mountains in Washington state. He said: "It was a beautiful afternoon and suddenly the remarkable beauty of creation around me was so overwhelming, I felt, 'I cannot resist this another moment'."

Collins believes that science cannot be used to refute the existence of God because it is confined to the "natural" world. In this light he believes miracles are a real possibility. "If one is willing to accept the existence of God or some supernatural force outside nature then it is not a logical problem to admit that, occasionally, a supernatural force might stage an invasion," he says.
[/size]
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Karleb(m): 2:26pm On Oct 04, 2015
^^^ You dey craze? undecided

If you were a scientist with no religious background then you'll understand them.

But not all scientists are atheist because the last time I checked, a Catholic priest propounded the big bang theory. undecided
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by omonnakoda: 2:29pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Christianity possesses an irrefutable knowledge of God's existence and power , have you guys disproven that 'claim' ? undecided grin

Irrefutable? No one needs to disprove anything.Christianity needs to prove its claims. Logic requires claims to be proven and NOT disproven.
Otherwise I can wake up and say you are a Boko Haram member and invite you to disprove it
Sadly many so called Christians have not read their bible or inquired into where it came from.They choose to satisfy themselves with the myths they were spoonfed that it was written by men "inspired by God" even though the Bible makes no such claims.
Whether or not there is God is not advanced by Christianity which is essentially a European fabrication based on Jewish recorded folk tales no different or better than folk tales found around the world in different cultures

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by AmakaDNBStories(f): 2:32pm On Oct 04, 2015
Religion is limiting. Period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Orders Apostle Suleman To Pay Maureen Badejo £19k / What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / "Buhari, Stop Fighting Corruption" - Prophet Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.