Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (31886 Views)

Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing? / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 2:34pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Christianity possesses an irrefutable knowledge of God's existence and power , have you guys disproven that 'claim' ? undecided grin
Lol, Ebuka don carry come o.cheesy

Irrefutable you say? You best look up that word before using it.

Anyways, it's a claim and we all know what that means. Your claims have been 'disproven' countless times though.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by neocortex: 2:34pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

Sorry? Stigma? Evident? Where? In the West or in Africa?

One of my dearest mentors, a natural scientist, who retired two years ago, said that his profession didn't make him believe less in a supreme form of intelligence but the more. The more he understood how beautifully and perfectly designed the universe is, the deeper his faith became. This man lives in a country where atheism is en vogue. This is an isolated case but there are plenty of scientists who share his view and those who don't, definitely don't hide them due to some imaginary stigma.

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive.

Not until a mob descend on a person before
you know there is stigma.
corporate workers, contractors and job seekers who have experienced subtle
but destructive stigmas can explain better to you.

About your mentor, he is simply "researching for faith", religion
proponent are so smart to have placed a burden of association
on their members so that whenever they come across any conflicting
information instead of asking more relevant question they choose to
side with their faith.

That is why you will see someone who just discovered how complex
the brain is suddenly shout : "Glory be to god who created this".

Just ask them what is the correlation between brain being complex and
god and they answer with "did you create yourself"

Your last point sound comical;
how can you say evidence and "lack of evidence" are not mutually exclusive ?

Finally, I understand why a no-believe life may sound terrifying to you, it
is known that the most difficult thing to do is change one's believe
even though there is no evidence supporting it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Karleb(m): 2:37pm On Oct 04, 2015
AmakaDNBStories:
Religion is limiting. Period.

Exactly. It's a my way or the high way thingy. That's why many of these scientists have to put aside their religion and deal with science in the real sense of it and at the end of the day majority of them don't even have enough convincing reason to go back to it.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by adahib: 2:38pm On Oct 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Religion is chock full of gaps even the unseasoned layman is wont to challenge and dismantle with ease. It should come as no surprise to observe that the intelligent, scientific elite are lacking in 'faith' (which is, in essence, belief without cause and/or evidence, and thus goes against the very nature of science and the principles of the scientific mind). I would go so far as to posit that the figure of scientists said to believe in a deity in the OP (40%) are entirely blown up relative to reality due to the still evident stigma of professing complete and utter atheism.

Totally on point. Religion as we know it emphasizes the principle of "faith" because that is the only way any sane individual can toe such a line of belief. Religion forbids questions, critical thinking and analysis lest it's n.akedness be brought to the fore. Little wonder those who work based on evidence have little or no use for it. It's embraced fully by those who are too lazy to use their brains.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by tupacshakur(m): 2:44pm On Oct 04, 2015
Science is all about observing, experimenting and stating facts based on verifiable proofs.

Religion is all about make-beliefs; about what ought to be.

Science and religion will never be compatible.

True scientists and even the seemingly theistic ones know in their heart of hearts, that the idea of a biblical God is mythical.

Einstein? He was always an atheist or should I say an agnostic whose agnosticism, which had its roots in his jewish lineage, bordered on atheism.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Krystalzkris(f): 2:45pm On Oct 04, 2015
the religion as we know it limits asking question.. All u have to do is attribute every good strange thing to god and every bad one to the enemy.. And also believe that when you die,u'd have to go somewhere.. But that's not the way science works,science ask question and try to answer them through various research methods.. Religion and science are two unlike terms..

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by TemitopeDaniel(m): 2:48pm On Oct 04, 2015
God is God, and God alone!
Some people question that IS THERE GOD? HOW CAN I BELIEVE WHAT OR WHO I CAN'T SEE?
Imagine your younger one did something wrong and you corrected him. If he asks you how did you know what he or she did is wrong, you tell him or her maybe your brain told you.

He or she will further on that how can he believe you are right since he can't see your brain, feel or even touch it! And in the real sense, that's how it's meant to be. You can't say anything to win the child more than saying you just have to BELIEVE... or have FAITH.. or common sense has to tell him that!

That's exactly God! You can't see, you can even feel God, you can't touch and what joins you to him is YOUR FAITH.

God is God and he is God alone. Your creator, your lover, he doesn't want you to perish that's why he wants you to come back to him. There's a great difference between zeal and passion! God wants you to grow from one with ordinary zeal to one with crazy passion.

If he leaves your life for a minute, you're dead for uncountable years.

Jesus loves you, please accept him today!

-Temitope Daniel Abimbola.
www.temitopedaniel.com
#NoSoulMustBeLost

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Dontbeused: 2:49pm On Oct 04, 2015
I personally believes dat impossible is nothing, it’s the mata of arrogance, arrogance dat some1 cud be better dan dem!
Impossibility is not D Reason of Disbelief
A disbeliever would say…is it possible that one talks to Angels or make command 2 Jin or hear his lord or gets revelations etc.
But we can make phone calls 2 places, America, Europe, Asia etc… its so possible 2 believe fields, waves, electrons, photons….nd subatomic particles …but not d Creator of it.
We av reached d moon, Astronomers can see far as 1,000,000,000 light years & know wots going on in our galaxy and oda galaxies…why do they find it strange that someone can do a bit mo dan dis and some1 created all dis?
If we compare d level scientist have reached, it’s very possible dat some1 can reach further
Any sane person believes dat impossible is nothing, it’s the mata of arrogance, arrogance dat some1 cud be better dan dem
They just believe dat some1 can reach d moon but reaching higher&seening the Angels & talk 2 his Lord is impossible (Prophet).
They don’t want 2 be followers of any1 even if it was a Prophet, they don’t want2 imagine dat they will be judged by any1 even dat 1 is God!
So disbelief is not due2 impossibility, anything can happen nowadays, discovering mo tins is very common and normal but believing some1 greater than them is not normal….

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Dolypson04(m): 2:50pm On Oct 04, 2015
Truth be told. It takes more faith to be an atheist than to believe in God's existence.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:51pm On Oct 04, 2015
omonnakoda:

Irrefutable? No one needs to disprove anything.Christianity needs to prove its claims. Logic requires claims to be proven and NOT disproven.
Otherwise I can wake up and say you are a Boko Haram member and invite you to disprove it
Sadly many so called Christians have not read their bible or inquired into where it came from.They choose to satisfy themselves with the myths they were spoonfed that it was written by men "inspired by God" even though the Bible makes no such claims.
Whether or not there is God is not advanced by Christianity which is essentially a European fabrication based on Jewish recorded folk tales no different or better than folk tales found around the world in different cultures

freecocoa:
Lol, Ebuka don carry come o.cheesy

Irrefutable you say? You best look up that word before using it.

Anyways, it's a claim and we all know what that means. Your claims have been 'disproven' countless times though.

Lolz freecocoa .. off course I do .

Really ? Ummm ... I i errrmm ... I've actually not come across any of those rebuttals tongue

@ omonnakoda

Religion does not really/actually equate to the existence of God . Proving that religion is/was a man-made concept does not mean God does not exist . Try again . Make it worth paying attention to kiss
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Dontbeused: 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
I person believes dat impossible is nothing, it’s the mata of arrogance, arrogance dat some1 cud be better dan dem!
A disbeliever would say…is it possible that one talks to Angels or make command 2 Jin or hear his lord or gets revelations etc.
But we can make phone calls 2 places, America, Europe, Asia etc… its so possible 2 believe fields, waves, electrons, photons….nd subatomic particles …but not d Creator of it.
We av reached d moon, Astronomers can see far as 1,000,000,000 light years & know wots going on in our galaxy and oda galaxies…why do they find it strange that someone can do a bit mo dan dis and some1 created all dis?
If we compare d level scientist have reached, it’s very possible dat some1 can reach further
Any sane person believes dat impossible is nothing, it’s the mata of arrogance, arrogance dat some1 cud be better dan dem
They just believe dat some1 can reach d moon but reaching higher&seening the Angels & talk 2 his Lord is impossible (Prophets).
They don’t want 2 be followers of any1 even if it was a Prophet, they don’t want2 imagine dat they will be judged by any1 even dat 1 is God!
So disbelief is not due2 impossibility, anything can happen nowadays, discovering mo tins is very common and normal but believing some1 greater than them is not normal….
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Really ? Ummm ... I i errrmm ... I've actually have not come across any of those rebuttals tongue

@ omonnakoda

Religion does not really/actually equate to the existence of God . Proving that religion is/was a man-made concept does not mean God does not exist . Try again . Make it worth paying attention to kiss
who is a liar? Ebuka is.tongue

Anyways, my argument is that you can't say god exists based on "faith" which is what your religion posits.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 04, 2015
[b]I'm sorry to say but the op is completely uninformed and has presented irrelevant facts and therefore they must be treated as trash. i am an athiest and a physics enthusiast. but i didn't become an atheist because i loved something more, i became an atheist because it was illogical to believe something that cannot be seen or measured. Faith as it is called is completely stupid. it's like saying "the sun is a cube" even when all evidence clearly points to the fact that the sun is a sphere.

Quoting Neil deGrasse," if your personal convictions cause you to deny what is objectionable about the world then they are more appropriately called personal delusions"

christianity wants me to believe the world is 6000, years old even when all evidence points towards the other direction, christianity wants me to believe that God created human beings, even though darwin's theory of evolution points towards the other direction

scientists believe in evidence and proof and if you have no evidence that a god created the universe we live in, you might as well shut the Bleep up, and go sit in a corner [/b]

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by omooba969(m): 2:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
FAITH vs. REASON ! cool
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by khalhokage(m): 2:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
Alan Turing was also tortured to suicide by christians.
Also please what's the source for this article?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
who is a liar? Ebuka is.tongue

Lol ... those rebuttals have been tossed to where they belong , the trash can .

Anyways, my argument is that you can't say god exists based on "faith" which is what your religion posits.

Ive never really said one need's faith to believe in the existence of God
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:
In 1997, the science journal Nature reported that 40 percent of scientists in the U.S. believed in a personal God—the same amount as had believed eighty years prior. However, when those results were filtered to include only members of the National Academy of Sciences, the number dropped to 10 percent. A Pew survey taken in 2009 records that 33 percent of scientists believe in God and another 18 percent in a higher power, compared to 94 percent of the general public. On the list of long-ago scientists who believed in God are Galileo, Descartes, Pascal, and Newton; more modern names have been added, such as Lord Kelvin, Max Planck, and Francis Collins.

So, to say that scientists don't believe in God is a gross generalization. However, it is true that there are fewer believers in God among professionals in the scientific community than among the general public. Why?

For some scientists, atheism is a matter of faith, not of evidence. Hungarian biologist George Klein wrote to a Christian colleague, "I am indeed an atheist. My attitude is not based on science but rather on faith, just as you have your faith. The absence of a creator, the nonexistence of God is my childhood faith, my adult belief, unshakable and holy."

Other scientists deny God's existence because of a commitment to materialism. Francis Crick, a molecular biologist, biophysicist, and neuroscientist, was a materialist to the core. Materialism teaches that there is nothing in the cosmos besides matter and energy. The supernatural does not exist, and there is no such thing as thought, consciousness, or the soul. Crick even went so far as to predict that science would one day find that the act of prayer changes a neurotransmitter in the brain and induces a positive effect on the person praying.

Some scientists reject faith because of personal experiences. Marie Curie, the only scientist to win two Nobel Prizes in two different science categories, became an atheist or agnostic after the deaths of her mother and sister. It's possible that this loss influenced her theological beliefs. Alan Turing, a mathematician and groundbreaking computer scientist, lost faith in God after the death of his first love. Refusing to believe a loving God would allow her death, Turing embraced materialism.

Some scientists simply see no use for God. Paul Dirac was a forefather of quantum mechanics. He believed science was well on its way to describing the universe in detail, and he saw religion as a political tool. String-theorist Brian Greene says, "Most scientists like to operate in the context of economy. If you don't need an explanatory principle, don't invoke it."

Some atheistic scientists come from a religious background and purposefully reject it. Richard Leakey, a paleontologist and conservationist from Kenya, is the grandson of missionaries but was disillusioned with any kind of faith in God.

Some scientists see faith and science as mutually exclusive. James Watson, who with Francis Crick discovered the double-helix structure of DNA, thought belief in God would preclude his love of science. He loved science more than God.

There are scientists who simply don't bother thinking about God. Steven Weinberg, a Nobel Prize laureate for his work in particle physics, said, "The experience of being a scientist makes religion seem fairly irrelevant. Most scientists I know simply don't think about it very much. They don't think about religion enough to qualify as practicing atheists."

Some scientists are religious but deny any reality beyond tradition and ritual. Oliver Sacks, the neurologist portrayed by Robin Williams in the movie Awakenings, loves religion and feels comfortable in both Orthodox Jewish and Catholic settings. He explains that "nature itself seems so wonderful that I don't feel a hunger for any concept beyond it."

In short, scientists reject faith in God for the same reasons anyone else does. Their atheism is built on some foundational choices:

1) They choose to worship "created things rather than the Creator" (Romans 1:25 NIV).
2) They choose to embrace "opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge" (1 Timothy 6:20 NIV).
3) They choose to retain their sin instead of repenting (John 3:19).
4) They choose to limit their definition of truth to what can be empirically discovered. Unfortunately, the truth of God cannot be discovered via the scientific method. "The world through its wisdom did not know him" (1 Corinthians 1:21 NIV).
5) They choose pride over humility (James 4:6).

One other reason for their rejection of God has to do with the enemy of their souls. "The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers" (2 Corinthians 4:4). We must never forget that we are involved in a spiritual battle. The human intellect, no matter how lofty, must be redeemed by Christ.

God gives grace to the humble. "For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards … But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise" (1 Corinthians 1:26-27).

Of course, not all scientists reject God. Dr. Francis S. Collins is the former head of the National Human Genome Research Institute. As a young man, Collins was well on his way to atheism when a woman dying of heart disease confronted him about his beliefs. He realized that none of his scientific work answered the bigger questions in life. Later, a minister gave him C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. Something about the irrefutability of natural moral law resonated with him, and he became a Christian.

you forgot to mention that

*scientists don't believe god exists as a result of lack of any concrete evidence

in carl sagan's voice " extra-ordinary claims require extraordinary proofs"

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by kaybext(m): 3:06pm On Oct 04, 2015
They don't Because of The weakness of religious arguments, explanations, and apologetics and The fact that Religion runs in families. Religion only successful enslaved our mind and thought which scientist call CURIOSITY. Curiosity aid idea, creativity and development

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 3:06pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol ... those rebuttals have been tossed to where they belong , the trash can .

Ive never really said one need's faith to believe in the existence of God
So what's your argument?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
To say that the vast majority of great scientists do not believe in a personal god is not a gross generalization, but an overwhelming truth.

According to a meta-analysis on the subject in a 2002 Mensa article (Mensa is the society of individuals with high IQs) that acutely piqued my interest to the extent that I held onto it, among others. The author, Bell, wrote:

"...Of 43 studies carried out since 1927 on the relationship between religious belief and one's intelligence and/or educational level, all but four found an inverse connection. That is, the higher one's intelligence or education level, the less one is likely to be religious or hold "beliefs" of any kind."

Religion is chock full of gaps even the unseasoned layman is wont to challenge and dismantle with ease. It should come as no surprise to observe that the intelligent, scientific elite are lacking in 'faith' (which is, in essence, belief without cause and/or evidence, and thus goes against the very nature of science and the principles of the scientific mind). I would go so far as to posit that the figure of scientists said to believe in a deity in the OP (40%) are entirely blown up relative to reality due to the still evident stigma of professing complete and utter atheism.
are u a writer?
D way u coordinate words is jut epic... U chop book finally! Choi
One chilled shot of vodka for u cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by adejaresalami1(m): 3:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:
[b]I'm sorry to say but the op is completely uninformed and has presented irrelevant facts and therefore they must be treated as trash. i am an athiest and a physics enthusiast. but i didn't become an atheist because i loved something more, i became an atheist because it was illogical to believe something that cannot be seen or measured. Faith as it is called is completely stupid. it's like saying "the sun is a cube" even when all evidence clearly points to the fact that the sun is a sphere.

Quoting Neil deGrasse," if your personal convictions cause you to deny what is objectionable about the world then they are more appropriately called personal delusions"

christianity wants me to believe the world is 6000, years old even when all evidence points towards the other direction, christianity wants me to believe that God created human beings, even though darwin's theory of evolution points towards the other direction

scientists believe in evidence and proof and if you have no evidence that a god created the universe we live in, you might as well shut the Bleep up, and go sit in a corner [/b]
ode darwin theory should have prove to us where actually that life started from....walahi you should take a deep breath and ask your self where exactly am I coming from,science will always have lies to back up the theory they dont understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by macfaded(m): 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2015
I think it is because Science has evolved to the extent that scientist can predict,invent most of the things attributed to God, but as a christian I believe this doesn't mean there is no God,in fact it is a proof that there is God afterall he created us in his own image and according to John 14:12 he said we will do great greater things than him
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Jman06(m): 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
There's NO God!!!

That I can state with certainty.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by omonnakoda: 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Really ? Ummm ... I i errrmm ... I've actually not come across any of those rebuttals tongue

@ omonnakoda

I responded to EXACTLY what you wrote have another read of it and stop the diversionary tactics
These are YOUR WORDS again
KingEbukasBlog:

Christianity possesses an irrefutable knowledge of God's existence and power , have you guys disproven that 'claim' ? undecided grin

YOU have elevated Christianity to a level which you are now denying or contradicting yourself
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

christianity wants me to believe the world is 6000, years old even when all evidence points towards the other direction, christianity wants me to believe that God created human beings, even though darwin's theory of evolution points towards the other direction.

1. I am a christian and the earth is not six thousand years old grin . LMAO

2. There are atheists who are scientists or love science and dont see the theory of evolution as a plausible theory

scientists believe in evidence and proof and if you have no evidence that a god created the universe we live in, you might as well shut the Bleep up, and go sit in a corner

What proof ?

1. That life came from the non living without supernatural intervention- a hypothesis or has been replicated in the labs through experiments ?

2. Making up a theory that denies the first cause . No mentioned initial conditions .

Go to sleep Joshua , you've made no point tongue
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:13pm On Oct 04, 2015
omonnakoda:

I responded to EXACTLY what you wrote have another read of it and stop the diversionary tactics

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Dontbeused: 3:15pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

personally believes dat impossible is nothing, it’s the mata of arrogance, arrogance dat some1 cud be better dan dem!
They just believe dat some1 can reach d moon but reaching higher&seening the Angels & talk 2 his Lord is impossible (Prophet).
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:15pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
So what's your argument?

There's none actually seeing that I know no christian needs faith to believe in God .
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by omonnakoda: 3:16pm On Oct 04, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Did you write this?
tongue
KingEbukasBlog:

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 04, 2015
AnnieOakley:

Your opinion smiley

You asked for it. wink

I doubt you wrote the first few passages of your artiçle yourself, it was making sense, until you started quoting bible passages that contribute nothing sensible to the meaningful op. So sad, how religion clogs an intelligent mind.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
adahib:

Totally on point. Religion as we know it emphasizes the principle of "faith" because that is the only way any sane individual can toe such a line of belief. Religion forbids questions, critical thinking and analysis lest it's n.akedness be brought to the fore. Little wonder those who work based on evidence have little or no use for it. It's embraced fully by those who are too lazy to use their brains.

@the pic And the SUPERNATURAL - defies natural laws- could not hasten the movements of those birds ?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by MRBrownJ: 3:25pm On Oct 04, 2015
“I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”
by Albert Einstein

“A man’s ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.”
by Albert Einstein

“Where knowledge ends, religion begins.”
by Benjamin Disraeli

“Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions.”
by Blaise Pascal

“Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.”
by Chapman Cohen

“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
by Christopher Hitchens

“I do not believe in God because I do not believe in the Tooth Fairy.”
by Clarence Darrow

“I have observed that the world has suffered far less from ignorance than from pretensions to knowledge. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress. No agnostic ever burned anyone at the stake or tortured a pagan, a heretic, or an unbeliever.”
by Daniel Boorstin

“In fact, when you get right down to it, almost every explanation man came up with for anything until about 1926 was stupid.”
by Dave Barry

“Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people.”
by David Viaene

“I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence.”
by Doug McLeod

“The meaning of life is that it stops”
by Frank Kafka

“Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions.”
by Frater Ravus

“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.”
by George Bernard Shaw

“Atheism: A non-prophet organization.”
by George Carlin

“Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!”
by George Carlin

“I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.”
by George Carlin

“History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god.”
by Giulian Buzila

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
by Greek Philosopher

“Religion is like a virus that affects the behavior of its host in such a way as to propagate itself further.”
by Jack Pritchard

“The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear.

by Jiddu Krishnamurti

“A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is a superstition.”
by José Bergamín

“It ain’t those parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.”
by Mark Twain

“I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m ‘bad’.”
by Mike Fuhrman

“Organized Religion is like Organized Crime; it preys on peoples’ weakness, generates huge profits for its operators, and is almost impossible to eradicate.”
by Mike Hermann

“Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-o, and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.”
by Penn Jillette

“Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.”
by Richard Dawkins

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
by Richard Dawkins

“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.”
by Richard Dawkins

“If the Bible and my brain are both the work of the same Infinite God, whose fault is it that the book and my brain do not agree?”
by Robert G. Ingersoll

“Animals do not have gods, they are smarter than that.”
by Ronnie Snow

“If God created the world, then who created God? And who created whoever created God? So somewhere along the line something had to just be there. So why can’t we just skip the idea of God and go straight to Earth?”
by Ryan Hanson

“If we expect God to subscribe to one religion at the exclusion of all the others, then we should expect damnation as a matter of chance. This should give Christians pause when expounding their religious beliefs, but it does not.”
by Sam Harris

“When a man is freed of religion, he has a better chance to live a normal and wholesome life.”
by Sigmund Freud

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
by Stephen Roberts

“Today’s religion will be the future’s mythology. Both believed at one time by many; but proved wrong by the clever.”
by Steven Crocker

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
by Steven Weinberg

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Court Orders Apostle Suleman To Pay Maureen Badejo £19k / What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / "Buhari, Stop Fighting Corruption" - Prophet Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.