Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,489 members, 7,819,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 - Travel (143) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (853637 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Breadfruit: 10:51pm On Dec 06, 2015
customised87:

Nope,just hold ur marriage certificates and wedding pics

Thanks a bunch.
My bump is showing now though. As I am almost 20 weeks gone. I don't even know how to start the process as I feel that we should have tried getting the visa before even getting pregnant.

#sigh.

Any tips?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shelly23: 12:19am On Dec 07, 2015
I agree. I did the visa myself and paid $180 to Innovate, $30 to the embassy and $40 for 2 priority express envelopes (1 to send to the embassy and 1 for them to send back). We've used the visa twice now and i'm Not in a hurry to get a naija passport.

ozycy:

Even though ETC seems cheaper (depending) , I still went for Naija visa, I felt comfortable doing d visa rather dan the ETC. For me the difference was $52 including postal fee.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shelly23: 12:25am On Dec 07, 2015
I usually don't swipe at Walmart or Sam's, instEad I insert the card in the slot at the bottom of the machine and it always works.

My Zenith card never disappoints, their rate is just really high at N230+

LI:
Have they changed it back to $300. It used to be $1k.

My card declined at Walmart and Sam's Club. Must be something to do with their machine

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shelly23: 12:34am On Dec 07, 2015
For those of you looking to save some money on the naija visa, If you read/follow all the instructions on the website you can actually do the visa yourself, pretty straightforward.

I did mine and got it back in 2 or 3 days. TVegas also did a post on his Naija visa experience.

MumTee:

@Ozycy, did u apply for the visa directly or used an agent? If agent; which of them did u use as I learnt Tanko and Eddy don't charge d same fee. Biko dollar ain't smilling o.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 12:36am On Dec 07, 2015
I couldn't agree with you more, the BA waka definitely had k-leg, thank God we survived.

You were also right regarding baggage allowance of 23kg. That was likely a typo

favoredgal:

You must have gone to waka now to make the original booking

And ba is 23kg for infant o! This ur Ba waka Ba real K leg

Glad you guys mad it back, that's the Koko
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 12:43am On Dec 07, 2015
We used Dr Khan too even though a different doctor was recommended at the hospital. I wish we hadn't bothered tho and that $75 would be put to a better use. No test was done that hadn't already been carried out at the hospital

firsttymum:
rubina khan with clinicare... Google her. Her number is there too u can call to book appointment. But at the hospital before they discharge ur baby they ask for the info.
It's not our Dr that appoints for us

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 12:54am On Dec 07, 2015
Maybe it was a GT Bank thing then since I did the same thing as you. Those were the only places my card declined sha and I had a not-so-funny experience each time

shelly23:
I usually don't swipe at Walmart or Sam's, instEad I insert the card in the slot at the bottom of the machine and it always works.

My Zenith card never disappoints, their rate is just really high at N230+

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by lafad11(m): 1:02am On Dec 07, 2015
Wow! Kudos to everybody keeping this thread alive. I'm a silent reader. I read dis thread with utmost attention like have got an exam to write. Kudos to firsttymum, ozycy, nefertitiram, modath etc you mummies are doing a great job.
My wife wants to embarking on this missionary journey. And I have contacted Dr. F he has sent the cost breakdown. But I wanna know if I can get other hospitals with pocket friendly cost in NJ, NY, Texas etc.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by favoredgal: 2:48am On Dec 07, 2015
Breadfruit:

Thanks a bunch.
My bump is showing now though. As I am almost 20 weeks gone. I don't even know how to start the process as I feel that we should have tried getting the visa before even getting pregnant.

#sigh.

Any tips?

I don't think u need to hold wedding album to embassy, isn't that for people migrating?

Your passport in ur maiden name is not a big deal, it's been stated like a million and one times on this forum

As per tips, read up... No short cut.... If u really want the visa that is

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by MiddyO(f): 3:59am On Dec 07, 2015
ozycy:

My friend paid $290 for hers in Dallas. No shipping cost cos u give the person d docs hand in hand. Na only Dallas peeps dis one will benefit

Please help with this info. I will PM you. I am near Dallas. Thanks!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by MiddyO(f): 4:09am On Dec 07, 2015
Thank you dear! God bless you loads
bbaby84:

Same here... marriage took me to the other side of the bridge.
@MiddyO congratulations on the birth of your baby... God has made you forget the not so good times. God bless you both.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by MiddyO(f): 4:11am On Dec 07, 2015
Thank you Mummy triplets! How are your angels doing?
Nogen:
Congrats MiddyO and other new mums. God bless you and your newborns.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Nogen: 4:54am On Dec 07, 2015
MiddyO:
Thank you Mummy triplets! How are your angels doing?

We are good dear. Congratulations once again.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by dere5: 5:34am On Dec 07, 2015
Breadfruit:

Thanks a bunch.

#sigh.

Any tips?
Number one advice,read this thread as much as you can,you will find all you need to know here
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by firsttymum(f): 6:45am On Dec 07, 2015
For those who have to pump milk, did u pump on the plane? if yes how did u do it.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by olokings(m): 7:18am On Dec 07, 2015
Hellos firsty. ..
Goto babies r us and search for breastfeeding shawl. ...or Google it. ....I may need to ask DW d name. ..I know I searched for it when there was need four her to breastfeed in public plus d oyinbo iyanga. ..
It's a fitting cloth of diff designs which allows you to breastfeeding on the go comfortably even in public without bothering yourself or anyone. ...
Bear regards

firsttymum:
For those who have to pump milk, did u pump on the plane? if yes how did u do it.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by neks31(f): 7:20am On Dec 07, 2015
firsttymum:

That is weird naa, when I travelled with my daughter I breastfed her on d plane like that!! But people usually do it in d toilet but personally I think it is gross ..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by afrobrown2000: 7:32am On Dec 07, 2015
iolite88:
Welcomed my triplets on the 1st of December to the glory of God got discharged 2 days later from The Hospital of Providence East Campus (El Paso). Mama and baby girls are doing great.
Congratulation on your triple blessing
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Peebles23(f): 8:09am On Dec 07, 2015
Breadfruit:
Good afternoon all,

I really want to have my baby in the US and I'm mid term now. Haven't even started processing anything yet but hoping to start this new week.

For starters, I still have my passport in my maiden name. Is it going to be an issue as I am filing with my husband? Thanks in anticipation....

Wrong page Abi shld I say part... Just start from part1&2 u will see everything u need there. To avoid bashing because our gurus no dey waste time to flog
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Peebles23(f): 8:32am On Dec 07, 2015
jumman:
please, house whats DH, DW and LO?
DH- dear husband
DW-dear wife
LO- little one
Lol I almost asked thesame question oooo wen I started to buh I figured out.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by ozycy: 9:11am On Dec 07, 2015
LI:
We used Dr Khan too even though a different doctor was recommended at the hospital. I wish we hadn't bothered tho and that $75 would be put to a better use. No test was done that hadn't already been carried out at the hospital
Do you mean you wouldn't have bothered to go for the visit since no test was carried out?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by ozycy: 9:18am On Dec 07, 2015
firsttymum:
Abeg, bring out that br.ast and pop it into bobo's mouth grin
It will soothe him to sleep, unless he's already used to bottle
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Breadfruit: 9:26am On Dec 07, 2015
favoredgal:

I don't think u need to hold wedding album to embassy, isn't that for people migrating?

Your passport in ur maiden name is not a big deal, it's been stated like a million and one times on this forum

As per tips, read up... No short cut.... If u really want the visa that is

If I could read everything, I would. I am a reader. It takes just a few words to let me know if it matters or not. Thanks anyway.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by toparie: 9:27am On Dec 07, 2015
I had a somewhat similar experience with BA. I had booked my baby's ticket via the executive club route and got a quote of £68. They promised to call back to take the payment but I waited 3 weeks and didn't get the call. When I spoke to an agent over the phone, the day before our flight he advised that I could pay at the airport. When I got to IAH they started telling me stories that touch. Wanted me to pay $405 cos apparently it was a reward ticket and they don't issue reward tickets at the airport. I refused to pay, my mum was already bringing money out cos we were almost missing our flight but I stood my ground and insisted on not paying. How can we go from £68 to $405. Anyhoo after much raving and ranting the witch's manager got involved and after pressing one or 2 things on her computer issued my baby's ticket and collected $80 from us. Meanwhile that wicked witch of the west had already cancelled mine and my mums ticket so the manager had to reissue tickets for all of us. We actually delayed the flight by about 16mins. God knows i'd have sued their behinds if they'd gone without us
Moral of the story if you can get it done over the phone then by all means do cos it's almost always a different story at the airport.

LI:
Thanks MumTee.

BA gave us wahala o but we won sha at the end of the day. We booked our original tickets online via Wakanow. In fact the whole thing was kinda shady. We thought we booked using GT Bank Online Self Service, next thing we started getting emails and calls from Wakanow, so it wasn't intentionally that we got stuck with them.

Anyway, Wakanow and BA started passing the responsibility of who to add infant tickets to each other. After a few attempts, we got connected to a BA call center agent who was willing to help but the process was rather weird. What they did was make a separate booking for the infant and link that infant ticket to the existing one for DW. We were asked to call back after 48hours for the cost but this wasn't ready until the 4th day and even though they told us we could only pay $312.17 at the airport, quote we got upon reaching the airport was 345.17. Of course there was no option but to pay. It's safe to say the low point of our journey was the BA experience.

After paying, DW still didn't get a bassinet seat, thank God for the pleasant crew member who hooked her up with a row with one other empty seat.

Baby was entitled to a 23kg check-in luggage and a carry-on bag.

Finally, if you're paying for your infant ticket at the airport, hold extra cash o as you are almost guaranteed to pay more than was originally communicated.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by toparie: 9:33am On Dec 07, 2015
BTW..... Between my mum, baby and I, we checked in 8 heavy luggages, had one hand luggage, about 5 bags plus baby's car seat and stroller and they didn't take a dime off us for them. In that regard BA was awesome
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Breadfruit: 9:48am On Dec 07, 2015
dere5:

Number one advice,read this thread as much as you can,you will find all you need to know here

I know I would. Been reading it off and on. It's just hard when you work 13 hours everyday. And time is not on my side too.
Anyways, maybe just have to go with an agent.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 10:05am On Dec 07, 2015
I had to highlight the below.

toparie:

Moral of the story if you can get it done over the phone then by all means do cos it's almost always a different story at the airport.

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 10:14am On Dec 07, 2015
All that was done at that first appointment was check baby's weight, height, heart beat and $75 was exhausted. We already knew these information right from the hospital

ozycy:

Do you mean you wouldn't have bothered to go for the visit since no test was carried out?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by shelly23: 10:34am On Dec 07, 2015
Much cheaper at Walmart or on amazon. It's called a nursing shield or something.

Or just drape the blanket they give you across your chest.

olokings:
Hellos firsty. ..
Goto babies r us and search for breastfeeding shawl. ...or Google it. ....I may need to ask DW d name. ..I know I searched for it when there was need four her to breastfeed in public plus d oyinbo iyanga. ..
It's a fitting cloth of diff designs which allows you to breastfeeding on the go comfortably even in public without bothering yourself or anyone. ...
Bear regards

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by olokings(m): 10:41am On Dec 07, 2015
hello..
i wouldn't advise you on that...

just try skimming thru part one even if its 30 minutes read daily... trust me you'd cover alot and by the time questions arise from that you will get response because by that time you'd be asking the right questions...

now you are more like just shoting random in the air..

Breadfruit:

I know I would. Been reading it off and on. It's just hard when you work 13 hours everyday. And time is not on my side too.
Anyways, maybe just have to go with an agent.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by LI(m): 10:59am On Dec 07, 2015
This reminds me of the lady who was in the news recently for getting embarrassed in the plane by a crew member cos she stayed back at the convenience to pump milk for longer than required.

Go for the nursing drapes, really nice stuffs come in different designs. We have like 3 of them.

firsttymum:
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 by Breadfruit: 11:07am On Dec 07, 2015
olokings:
hello..
i wouldn't advise you on that...

just try skimming thru part one even if its 30 minutes read daily... trust me you'd cover alot and by the time questions arise from that you will get response because by that time you'd be asking the right questions...

now you are more like just shoting random in the air..

Owk. Thanks. Will go to part one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 20 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 7 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.