Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,193 members, 7,860,268 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:42 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (168) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (676884 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 12:07pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Maaan you're picking an unnecessary fight here.Please let's not derail the thread.I never said anyone is a bastard. You don't force people to be with you,Its not a must and I owe no one apologies!
Eh...eh,you are both Omoluabis.There is nothing to get worked up for here.I think the itshekiris related with the Yorubas during the national conference and there was this OPC thingy.Cut it out, Yoruba is bigger than Nigeria then and now...we all know this.. .
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by oduastates: 12:21pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Lol Oduastates so him having a Yoruba name is the reason why you feel they must be with us?

You're letting your wishes overcome reality.Please lets talk reality here and not cartoons

Tell us about Rotimi Amaechi who told us he's not Igbo

Tell us about Sunday Ogochukwu Oliseh who told us he's not Igbo

It's easy to jump on our keyboards and claim people but have they claimed us? think about this

It is a statement of the state of mind Of those in his royal house and him as well .
If the King makers were through custodians of the throne, that alone would have disqualified that royal house.
The day we put on the thinking cap of Oyo, the british or the American, that day we will start seeing progress.
Tell me why
There are no German Princes called Abdul or Saudi princess called Mary?
As a true omoluabi, I gave no problem with anyone faith but I have a serious problem with aggressive faith. Be it Christianity or Islam Most especially the salafist and pentecostal fraud

Ancient Arabs Views on Blacks.
Those Still remains the same

Zanj (Arabic: زنج, "Land of the Blacks" or "Land of the Negroes"[1]) was a name used by medieval Arab geographers to refer to both a certain portion of the coast of East Africa and its inhabitants, Bantu-speaking peoples

"We know that the Zanj (blacks) are the least intelligent and the least discerning of mankind, and the least capable of understanding the consequences of actions Jahiz (d. 868 AD), Kitab al-Bukhala'

"Galen says that merriment dominates the black man because of his defective brain. , whence also the weakness of his intelligence." Mas`udi (d. 956 AD), Muruj al-dhahab

"The Zanj are so uncivilized that they have no notion of a natural death. If a man dies a natural death, they think he was poisoned. Every death is suspicious with them , if a man has not been killed By a weapon." Abu Rayhan al-Biruni, India, 1030 AD

About the Zanj: "Their nature is that of wild animals. They are extremely black." About the Sudan: "Among themselves there are people who steal each other's children and sell them to the merchants when the latter arrive." Hudud al-`Alam, 982 AD

"If (all types of men) are taken, from the first, and one placed after another, like the Negro from Zanzibar, in the Southern-most countries, the Negro does not differ from an animal in anything except the fact that his hands have been lifted from the earth ,--in no other peculiarity or property,--except for what God wished. Many have seen that the ape is more capable of being trained than the Negro, and more intelligent." Philosopher-theologian Nasir al-Din Tusi (1201-74), Tasawwurat

"Therefore, the Negro nation are, as a rule, submissive to slavery, because [Negroes] have little [that is essentially] human and have attributes that are quite similar to those of dumb animals, as we have stated." Ibn Khaldun, Muqaddimah, 14th century AD

"A amadani, Mukhtasa

"beyond [known peoples of black West Africa] to the south there is no civilization in the proper sense. There are only humans who are closer to dumb animals than to rational beings. They live in thickets and caves, and eat herbs and unprepared grain. They frequently eat each other. They cannot be considered human beings." Ibn Khaldun, Muqaddimah

"The Zanj are slight-witted (kam 'aql), and God, most high, has created them stupid, ignorant, and foul (palid)." anonymous, Iskandarnamah, 1343 AD
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2015
oduastates:

It is a statement of the state of mind Of those in his royal house and him as well .
If the King makers were through custodians of the throne, that alone would have disqualified that royal house.
The day we put on the thinking cap of Oyo, the british or the American, that day we will start seeing progress.
Tell me why
There are no German Princes called Abdul or Saudi princess called Mary?
As a true omoluabi, I gave no problem with anyone faith but I have a serious problem with aggressive faith. Be it Christianity or Islam Most especially the salafist and pentecostal fraud

This is off-point i.m.o,It has nothing to do with my comment.Anyways lets leave this Itsekiri discussion for another day.

As per the emboldened, that's a different topic entirely.Its a religious topic so lets leave that aside.We should discuss what we share in common and not what divides us like Islam,christianity and Ifa.We have people representing the three schools of thought here
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 09, 2015
[size=13pt]Fed Govt approves $2.4b for Lagos red line[/size]

The Federal Government has approved the construction of the $2.4 billion Lagos red line rail project.

Commissioner for Transportation Dayo Mobereola said approving the right-of-way for the project had been a problem for years.

He said the last Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)- led Federal Government foot-dragged in approving the right-of-way, which belonged to the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC).

According to him, it took Lagos four and half years to get approval for the project and another four years for discussion on the technicality of the project.

“It took us four and half years to get approval for the project. It took us another four years to get them to discuss the technicality of the project with us. The right-of-way has been approved and we are in full discussion with the bidders,” he said.

On the Blue Line Light Rail project, the commissioner said the government would complete it by the end of next year.

He said Lagos was the only state in the world to have embarked on such project without support from the Federal Government, adding that such projects normally take around seven years to complete.

The commissioner said it took Dubai, with all its resources, seven years to complete its rail project and in some places, 22 years.

“We are mindful of the problem of transportation in Lagos State. Towards the end of next year, something will happen. Our rail project is 27 km and we are doing it in phases. We are doing Mile 2 to CMS now and we will do Mile 2 to Okokomaiko later,” he said.

Mobereola added that the first train was purchased this year and that government would bring it on board to test-run the rail system from Mile 2-CMS.

He said his vision as commissioner was to make public transportation safe, reliable, accessible and comfortable.

According to him, there was need to develop mass transit transport scheme for the benefit of the people.

Speaking on the challenges of the State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA), Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation Olanrewaju Elegushi said inadequate personnel had been the problem of the outfit.

He said the 2,300 officers of the authority were insufficient to control traffic.

Elegushi said the outfit ran three shifts, adding that the government was working to boost the organisation’s workforce.

http://thenationonlineng.net/fed-govt-approves-2-4b-for-lagos-red-line/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
zimoni:

Welcome on board Sir.

ProfShymmex, that Sona dude is good. "Ki Lo Gbe Yi Omode Yi" grin grin grin grin

Lmao. Sona man is supremely talented but he's locked up. The curse that comes with being young and black in this country. He should be out by this time next year tho. He was creating a big buzz and had endorsements by a few companies, including supermalt, before they locked him up for being an accomplice in a crime they committed time ago.

He has a next banger called "no wahala".

"Oya baby come make we go/wo mi ko tun mi wo" - Sona man!!!! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBVls0wNvA
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by oduastates: 12:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

This is off-point imo,It has nothing to do with my comment.Anyways lets leave this Itsekiri discussion for another day.

As per the emboldened, that's a different topic entirely.Its a religious topic so lets leave that aside.We should discuss what we share in common and not what divides us like Islam,christianity and Ifa.We have people representing the three schools of thought here

Religious topic?
We are Sleepwalking into disaster.
You will lose your land
Do you even know what Egypt, Sudan, Libya look like in the past?
blacks were wiped out of many parts of Sudan ( not talking about darfur or southern Sudan who resisted) after converting to Islam at the stupidity of their leaders and stupid black people who did the afonja thing.
This is as recent as 30- 40 years ago.
Like I said before the yoruba culture and religious values is inversely proportional to those of these 2 religions.
We do live and let's live.
They do leave or let's die.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:51pm On Nov 09, 2015
Zimoni

There's a next group of Yoruba boys from here doing Afrobeats, they're called: STP. Timbo, Cass (Casper), and Mitch.

This is one of their tunes:

"now she wants to know how my guys roll/I tell her jeje you ain't ready for the roads" - Cass the Casper, the Ibadan warrior. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAFyQJ-STRw
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 09, 2015
oduastates:

Religious topic?
You are Sleepwalking into disaster.
You will lose your land
Do you even know what Egypt, Sudan, Libya look like in the past?
blacks were wiped out of many parts of Sudan ( not talking about darfur or southern Sudan who resisted) after converting to Islam at the stupidity of their leaders and stupid black people who did the afonja thing.
This is as recent as 30- 40 years ago.
Like I said before the yoruba culture and religious values is inversely proportional to those of these blood sacking religion.
We do live and let's live.
They do leave or let's die.

Okay Sir!

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
Some people go just dey kill spirit anyhow,Oga ooo la layi n se pe a n ja gidigbo grin grin cheesy

I can't even remember what i wanted to talk about sef grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Lushore1: 1:15pm On Nov 09, 2015
Africa american are not only identifying with yoruba cultures, they are also setting up independent private schools where they teach about our culture and tradition to their kids. Example of this school is Ile Omode school in oakland, california.

http://www.ileomode.org/draft1/index.htm

Check out the kids singing elejibgo song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboZStmU-Gc

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 1:24pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Some people go just dey kill spirit anyhow,Oga ooo la layi n se pe a n ja gidigbo grin grin cheesy

Bwaaaahahahhaha, was trying to read up & i just asked myself same question as well.. cheesy

Wetin d fait dey on top gangan? grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:29pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lushore1:
Africa american are not only identifying with yoruba cultures, they are also setting up independent private schools where they teach about our culture and tradition to their kids. Example of this school is Ile Omode school in oakland, california.

http://www.ileomode.org/draft1/index.htm

Check out the kids singing elejibgo song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboZStmU-Gc

Amazing!!

While Harlem was the black mecca for renaissance on the east coast of America. Oakland has always been the black mecca for renaissance on the west coast. I guess they's why they failed to develop the place.

Don't forget the Black Panther Party started in Oakland. Huey P. Newton and Bobby Seale.

Nice video! Yoruba culture would definitely be the nucleus of the black renaissance across the globe. cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 1:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Lol.

I understand where the both of you are coming from. I think the problem he has with ya post is cos you cited the loose talk by some poster on here, goodboiy, who isn't even Itsekiri (he's half urhobo and half Itsekiri according to him) as the reason why folks need to stop talking about them.

You obviously have a point. But even the Itsekiris aren't one like that. They're divided into different independent clans. Most of the clans are Yorubas, but they have a few Edo and Igala clans as well. What binds them together is the language and the King albeit the clans are still independent and separate from the king.

I believe what Oduastates was alluding to is the need to use certain Yoruboid groups on the outskirt of Yorubaland as buffer against the others, should the country disintegrate and the need for inclusion of every Yoruboid group willing to join the Yoruba commonwealth.

Yorubas are everywhere. Even Ghanaians believe the Ga people of Ghana are Yorubas (most of the Ashantis, and Fantes I know call them Nigerians) and according to Ga history, they migrated from Ife. Then you have the Ewes who also sometimes claim Ife ancestry. Then there are Aku people of Sierra Leone who're Yorubas. Most of them are descendants of slaves taken to Freetown when slavery ended and returnee Yoruba slaves from the new world taken there. And they have all maintained their Yorubaness by keeping their heritage and culture alive. Heck, they still bear Yoruba names.

Oduastates just wants a situation whereby trade and relationships can be extended to all those enclaves all over West Africa. grin

Edited

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by meracool(m): 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
It's not easy reading over 20 pages of detailed information

Keep up the good work an really learning alot

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Duke, I don even park the matter for one side jare.I actually like his argument, I just didn't like the way he was presenting it.Thanks for the clear-up.And one more thing,my point was yeah itsekiris might be Yorubas, but let them tell you themselves,you can't speak for them.Its like you asking your Girl-friend about bride price when she hasn't even agreed to marry you

Edited too grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:01pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Duke, I don even park the matter for one side jare.I actually like his argument, I just didn't like the way he was presenting it.Thanks for the clear-up

Ok, Sir.

Please, truce. The both of you are valuable to us and this thread and, we the younger ones look up to you.

While you have been the supreme emperor, and the one who has kept this thread alive. Oduastates has also added a lot of things to the thread. I think he's just passionate about Yorubas (I'm passionate about Yorubas as well). We don't need to fight, even if our approaches are different, as long as we've the same goal/end-game - it's all good. Pluralism has always been the bedrock of the Yoruba nation. grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Ok, Sir.

Please, truce. The both of you are valuable to us and this thread and, we the younger ones look up to you.

While you have been the supreme emperor, and the one who has kept this thread alive. Oduastates has also added a lot of things to the thread. I think he's just passionate about Yorubas (I'm passionate about Yorubas as well). We don't need to fight, even if our approaches are different, as long as we've the same goal/end-game - it's all good. Pluralism has always been the bedrock of the Yoruba nation. grin

No dey whine me jor! grin grin grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Duke, I don even park the matter for one side jare.I actually like his argument, I just didn't like the way he was presenting it.Thanks for the clear-up.And one more thing,my point was yeah itsekiris might be Yorubas, but let them tell you themselves.You can't speak for them.Its like you asking your Girl-friend about bride-price when she hasn't even agreed to marry you

Edited too grin cheesy

Obviously, speaking for them would make Yorubas look like the pikeys. And we're too blessed to be trying to force inclusions. But then again, the Itsekiris have always aligned with Yorubas since the beginning of Nigeria. An Itsekiri icon was a prominent figure in AG, during Awolowo's time and Awolowo was the one who turned the Olu of Itsekiri title to the Olu of Warri since Warri has always been an Itsekiri town. That's why a few folks from that axis have some reservations about Awolowo.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:08pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

No dey whine me jor! grin grin grin cheesy

Lmao. grin

You're the alpha and omega of this thread.

Without you, this thread won't be here.

And it's a pleasure to contribute and learn from you and others. cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Lushore1: 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lekan Babalola: Lord of the Drums

Under the rustling branches of the trees in Freedom Park, Lagos, Yinka Olatunbosun found tranquility and more importantly, Lekan Babalola, the two-time Grammy Award-winning Nigerian percussionist and culture advocate at the opening of the 2015 Lagos International Jazz Festival

He wore a tan-coloured hat that could make the title, “Lord’’ befitting in describing him. Lekan Babalola’s name may not chime within the earshot of young music lovers and that’s quite understandable. His career in music has spanned over three decades with a lot of international performances at Jazz festivals in Europe and South Africa much to the pleasure of foreign media. On the last day of the Jazz Appreciation Month, that is April 30, Babalola made his first appearance at the Lagos International Jazz Festival although he had given a bit of his funky self at the cultural hub, Jazzhole on Awolowo road, Ikoyi, recently.

Babalola had been playing drums at his father’s Aladura church as a child. He had no inkling that he’d stake his future in pursuit of a career in music. He attended Bishop Oluwole Primary School, Agege and later proceeded to a secondary school in Iwo, Oyo State. His father owned a Greyhound Company in Nigeria in the 70s where it was hoped that young Babalola would return and work having left Nigeria for the United Kingdom in 1980 to pursue a degree in Engineering.  As an outstanding student, he won a Lagos State scholarship to enroll for the course at the University of London. But it took no time for Babalola to discover that his passion was not in working at the Rolls Royce Company back in Nigeria. Although as the first child, it was a tradition presumption that he would stay in the family business. Instead, he paddled his canoe, overseas.

“I left Nigeria when I was 20 years old,’’ he began. “My father died when I was 15. When I finished studying there, I wrote my mother and told her I wanted to be an artist. In my family then, it is either you are a lawyer or a doctor. My mother said I should go ahead. So, I went to Central St Martin’s College of Art and Design. It was the Art College for British artists. We have had a lot of famous painters and filmmakers graduating from there. Shade Adu was my senior in college. She studied fashion. I studied filmmaking. I studied to become a film director. I did my MA as well at the Northern School of Film & Television. In 1992, I went to the US to work with Spike Lee, to understudy him actually. After graduating, you have to understudy a director. It is like a doctor’s houseman ship.’’

He was with Spike Lee for six months. Spike Lee is known for movies with subject matter or race and colour. When Babalola arrived at Lee’s studio, he was shooting the making of Malcolm X.
“I had to return to the UK because my visa was due to be upgraded to a permanent stay. So, when I got it, I started a family. I became a musician and the rest is history,’’ he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35EVC95pTPc
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x continue whining me ooo,God is watching you in 5d grin cheesy

ALAAFIN WANTS STUDENTS TO PROMOTE YORUBA CULTURAL HERITAGE

The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III has charged students of tertiary institutions in the country, especially the Yoruba-speaking tribe to promote Yoruba cultural heritage through their conduct and activities.

Speaking at the “Cultural Day 2015” celebration organised by the Law Students Society (LSS) of the University of Ibadan as part of its activities marking the 30th Law Week, the Alaafin stressed the need for the promotion of tradition and culture of the Yoruba race.

The chairman of the Oyo State Council of Obas and Chiefs, who was the special guest at the event, advised the students to study, practise and promote the rich cultural heritage of Yoruba, urging them not to see Yoruba Language as a vernacular.

“Foreign nationals have been coming to Nigeria to study Yoruba Language as a course. This shows that Yoruba as part of African languages, is a very rich language. We also have to appreciate it and that is why I implore you, youths, to propagate this advocacy,” the Alaafin said.

The dean of the Faculty of Law, Professor Adeniyi Olatunbosun, stated that as part of the promotion of the culture, it was mandatory for students and management staff of the faculty to wear Yoruba attire every Friday.

The dean described the foremost traditional ruler as the symbol of Yoruba tradition and one of the royal fathers who had been propagating Yoruba culture across the world.

On his part, the LSS president, Opeyemi Adeleke, said the objective of the programme was to celebrate Yoruba culture, adding that the choice of the Alaafin as the guest of honour was to add colour to the event.

The Alaafin promised to donate a brand new bus to the Law Students Society to enhance its activities.

http://olajide.tv/blog/alaafin-wants-students-to-promote-yoruba-cultural-heritage/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Lushore1: 2:16pm On Nov 09, 2015
OLATUNJI MUSIC. Babatunde Olatjuni — African Drummer

Biography

Babatunde Olatunji (April 7, 1927 – April 6, 2003) was a Nigerian drummer, educator, social activist and recording artist.

Olatunji was born in the village of Ajido, a small town near Badagry, Lagos State, in southwestern Nigeria. A member of the Yoruba people, Olatunji was introduced to traditional African music at an early age. He read in Reader’s Digest magazine about the Rotary International Foundation’s scholarship program, and applied for it. He went to the United States of America in 1950.

Education
Olatunji received a Rotary scholarship in 1950 and was educated at Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia, where he desired to, but never sang in the Morehouse College Glee Club. Olatunji was a good friend of Glee Club director Dr. Wendell P. Whalum and collaborated with him on a staple of the choir’s repertoire, “Betelehemu”, a Nigerian Christmas carol. After graduating from Morehouse, he went on to New York University to study public administration. There, he started a small percussion group to earn money on the side while he continued his studies.

Musical career
Columbia Records A&R man John Hammond signed Olatunji to the Columbia label in 1957.

In 1959 Olatunji released his first of six records on the Columbia label, called Drums of Passion. Drums of Passion became a major hit and remains in print; it introduced many Americans to world music. Drums of Passion also served as the band’s name. Notable members included; Clark Terry, Bill Lee, Horace Silver, Yusef Lateef, Sikiru Adepoju, Charles Lloyd, Sanga of The Valley (Anthony Francis), and William “Spaceman” Patterson among others.

Olatunji won a following among jazz musicians, notably creating a strong relationship with John Coltrane, with whose help he founded the Olatunji Center for African Culture in Harlem. This was the site of Coltrane’s final performance. Olatunji recorded with many other prominent musicians (often credited as “Michael Olatunji”), including Cannonball Adderley (on his 1961 African Waltz album), Horace Silver, Quincy Jones, Pee Wee Ellis, Stevie Wonder, Randy Weston, and with Max Roach and Abbey Lincoln on the pivotal Freedom Now Suite aka We Insist!, and with Grateful Dead member Mickey Hart on his Grammy winning Planet Drum projects. He is also mentioned in the lyrics of Bob Dylan’s “I Shall Be Free” as recorded on the album The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan.

In 1969, Carlos Santana had a major hit with his cover version of this first album’s “Jin-go-lo-ba”, which Santana recorded on his debut album, Santana, as “Jingo.” Olatunji’s subsequent recordings include Drums of Passion: The Invocation (1988), Drums of Passion: The Beat (1989) (which included Airto Moreira and Carlos Santana), Love Drum Talk (1997), Circle of Drums (2005) (originally titled Cosmic Rhythm Vibrations, with Muruga Booker and Sikiru Adepoju), and Olatunji Live at Starwood (2003 – recorded at the 1997 Starwood Festival with guest Halim El-Dabh. He also contributed to Peace Is The World Smiling: A Peace Anthology For Families on the Music For Little People label (1993).

Olatunji favoured a big percussion sound, and his records typically featured more than 20 players, unusual for a percussion-based ensemble.

Film and theatre
Olatunji composed music for the Broadway theatrical and Hollywood film productions of Raisin in the Sun. He assisted Bill Lee with the music for his son Spike Lee’s hit film She’s Gotta Have It.

Social activism
Olatunji was known for making an impassioned speech for social justice before performing in front of a live audience. His progressive political beliefs are outlined in The Beat of My Drum: An Autobiography, with a foreword by Joan Baez, (Temple University Press, 2005). He toured the American south with Rev. Martin Luther King Jr and joined King in the march on Washington. When he performed before the United Nations General Assembly, Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev took off his shoes and danced. Later, he was one of the first outside performers to perform in Prague at Václav Havel’s request. On July 21, 1979, he appeared at the Amandla Festival along with Bob Marley, Dick Gregory, Patti LaBelle and Eddie Palmieri, amongst others.

Teaching career
Olatunji was also a music educator, and invented a method of teaching and recording drum patterns which he called the “Gun-Dun, Go-Do, Pa-Ta” method after the different sounds made on the drum.

Olatunji taught drum and dance workshops year-round starting in the late 1950s. Over the years he presented workshops nationally and internationally at colleges, universities, civic, cultural, and governmental organizations.

He co-wrote Musical Instruments of Africa: Their Nature, Use and Place in the Life of a Deeply Musical People with Betty Warner-Dietz (John Day Company, 1965). He taught a summer drumming and African dance course with his wife, at the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck, New York for many summers during Family week. He also taught at the Esalen Institute in California from 1985 on. For the few years before his death Olatunji made his home at the wild Big Sur coastline. He became a scholar-in-residence at the Esalen Instutut. During this time, he already suffered severely from diabetes and was assisted by Nora Arjuna, Leo Thompson and Leon Ryan till until shortly before his death in Salinas, California, in 2003, on the day before his 76th birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51O2ymTtsR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2J1Ot9N5c
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2015
Of all the Obas in Yoruba Land, there's no doubt the Alaafin is the one who has done the most in preserving Yoruba culture and spreading it.Please correct me if I'm wrong.The man is all-join grin grin I think he's a Muslim, he prays eid prayers and takes part in traditional religion as well

That's what we call "Bintin laye" grin cheesy.I don't know why I keep forgetting this Lushore1 character

Welcome to the Commonwealth brother.Nice contributions

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:33pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Duke, I don even park the matter for one side jare.I actually like his argument, I just didn't like the way he was presenting it.Thanks for the clear-up.And one more thing,my point was yeah itsekiris might be Yorubas, but let them tell you themselves.You can't speak for them.Its like you asking your Girl-friend about bride-price when she hasn't even agreed to marry you

Edited too grin cheesy

Word!! Phew! Am back. Spambots got my moniker twice in one day! What was my offence??! cry

Aare, well done! Thanks for keeping the thread alive...and all the great info! cheesy

Shymexx the guru! Thanks for lessons and insight! cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 09, 2015
laudate:

Word!! Phew! Am back. Spambots got my moniker twice in one day! What was my offence??! cry

Aare, well done! Thanks for keeping the thread alive...and all the great info! cheesy

Shymexx the guru! Thanks for lessons and insight! cool

Haha! first of all

Did they also ban your LaudateII?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:39pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:
How did ancient Yoruba folks pull this off? grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3052932_hqdefault_jpeg923502446efb5a99b7cf2bb4dbd85b24

This looks like one of those traditional houses sculptured by the late Adunni olorisa Susan Wenger and Ulli Beier at the Osun traditional grove.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Haha! first of all

Did they also ban your LaudateII?

Yeah....that moniker is still serving out its ban as we speak!! Grrr!

Egbon, thanks for the e-hug, jare!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2015
quimicababes:

Thanks for the link wink.

Thanks, dear! grin

CabbieAC:
Laudate I found this website for you and quimicababes wink
http://mylanguages.org/yoruba_phrases.php

Egbon, e seun pupo!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
laudate:

This looks like one of those traditional houses sculptured by the late Adunni olorisa Susan Wenger and Ulli Beier at the Osun traditional grove.

True.Most of the statues in the Osun grove were made by her and the local sculptors.Brilliant woman!I think she married a Yoruba man as well.Uli beier was her husband before she married the Yoruba man
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2015
Lushore, that video was wack. Interesting.

Shymex, I enjoyed the video. Yoruba boys are doing well in abroad.

Uncle Oduast.ate and Aare, o ti to bayen.

Edited too cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
laudate:

Yeah....that moniker is still serving out its ban as we speak!! Grrr!

Egbon, thanks for the e-hug, jare!

My Aareonakakanfo was banned by the anti-spambot as well

CabbieAC had to replace him grin cheesy and he did a good job (he didn't get banned)

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 2:53pm On Nov 09, 2015
My instinct tells me Laudate is a Yoruba. He/she posts in Yoruba whenever he/she likes. Sometimes he/she complains that he/she is going to report us to his/her grandma when we posted in Yoruba during Yoruba hour grin grin

The UME question is, who is HE/SHE?

(1) (2) (3) ... (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.