Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,239 members, 7,860,534 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:14 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (676974 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
Ewo bi awon agbaya se n ja. embarassed
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 09, 2015
zimoni:

My instinct tells me Laudate is a Yoruba. He/she posts in Yoruba whenever he/she likes. Sometimes he/she complains that he/she is going to report us to his/her grandma when we posted in Yoruba during Yoruba hour grin grin

The UME question is, who is HE/SHE?

I don't think Laudate is Yoruba.A very mysterious character.He/she speaks Igbo as well.

I should make a documentary with the title "Uncovering Laudate" grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2015
zimoni:

My instinct tells me Laudate is a Yoruba. He/she posts in Yoruba whenever he/she likes. Sometimes he/she complains that he/she is going to report us to his/her grandma when we posted in Yoruba during Yoruba hour grin grin

The UME question is, who is HE/SHE?

Lol.

Laudate and quimicababes, please claim Yoruba, we beg you. grin

And even if you're not Yorubas - we need to bless you lot with Yoruba spouses, for ya great contributions to this thread.

That's on me. cool

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol.

And even if you're not Yorubas - we need to bless you lot with Yoruba spouses, for ya great contributions to this thread.

That's on me. cool

Quimicababes is from Trinidad but we have no info regarding Laudate
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 3:03pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
I don't think Laudate is Yoruba.A very mysterious character.He/she speaks Igbo as well.

I should make a documentary with the title "Uncovering Laudate" grin cheesy

Hehehe! cheesy Am not Yoruba, o! I just have tremendous respect for the Yoruba folks. I spent most of my adolescent years growing up in Lagos. I know all the Yoruba cuss words, though! I spoke a little bit of the language when I was younger, but people always laughed at my accent so I gave it up. I am now trying to learn the language with all seriousness! I got the dictionary and a few language CDs... grin

I sometimes practise my few Yoruba phrases, here! Oh, and yes, my late grandmum had maternal links to the SW.

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol.

That's on me. cool

Hehehe....you guys are the best! I swear! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:
Ewo bi awon agbaya se n ja. embarassed

haba iya agba tun ge ege si eyin.....

Shymm3x ti petu si okan awon mejeji cheesy

won ti fi owo wo nu cheesy

I hope i didn't murder the language too much sha? grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2015
I think it's high time we start blessing the females here with titles.Princessjanedoe watch out for yours.I can see you viewing cheesy grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aareonakakanfo, Laudate, quimicababes, mayoroflagos, superstar1, 9jacrip, oduatstates, ileke/ilekehd, Aareonakakanfo, ritchiee, and everyone else who wants to contribute.

I want to us discuss the dynamics of Nigerian politics under the current government and what Yorubas stand to gain. I'll use excerpts from quimicababes' post as the preamble.

quimicababes

THE RISE OF THE HAUSA-FULANI HEGEMONY
The irrefutable fact is that whatever the theological justifications and convictions for Usman Dan Fodio’s 1804 Jihad, it led to the rise of an aristocratic ethnic minority which terrorized a whole region via force of arms rather than just religious persuasion.

Through military conquest, organizational and strategic genius, and a political savvy that allowed Hausa nationalities to subordinate their own will and interests to the Fulani, a powerful Hausa-Fulani or better still Fulani-Hausa hegemony has been in place for more than 200 years.

In the Fulani worldview, Christian Hausas in Northern Nigeria are a potential subversive force that threatens the established religious and political power of the Caliphate in Sokoto. In essence, the Christian Hausa community in Northern Nigeria is the antithesis of everything the Hausa-Fulani aristocratic arrangement stands for. It is for this reason that the Fulani especially have done everything possible on numerous occasions to subordinate, frustrate, persecute, and if necessary exterminate Hausa Christians, whenever the need has arisen.

MOVING FORWARD
Therefore, in the 21st century, if we are to understand Hausa-Fulani hegemony, the perennial problem of marauding Fulani herdsmen, and the pestilence of sporadic religious violence, we must come to terms with these uncomfortable facts in our nation’s history.

With the foregoing in mind, it is clear that –

1. Over the last 200 years, Hausa-Fulani hegemony has increased, and not decreased.
2. Regardless of Administration (military or democratic), the Hausa-Fulani aristocracy has ensured that its interests are always safeguarded, particularly as gatekeepers of key political and military positions.
3. As long as the Hausa-Fulani aristocratic mindset prevails, under no circumstances will breakaway Republics be allowed in the South, nor separatist Hausa/Middle Belt movements in the North.

Now let's analyse the most important portfolios under Buhari's government.

- President: Northerner (Buhari)
- Senate President: Northerner.
- Speaker of the House: Northerner.
- Judiciary: Northerner.
- Chief of Army Staff: Northerner (this is the most important portfolio in the Nigerian armed forces cos of the structure and whoever heads the army controls the armed forces cos the Nigerian army is the only section within the Nigerian military that's potent. The Chief of Defence is just a mere appendage).
- Head of Customs: Northerner.
- Head of the Ports: Northerner.
- Petroleum Minister: Buhari should head this one - another Northerner.

The remaining important portfolios for decision making which are yet to be given out are:

- Finance
- Aviation
- Attorney General.

I think Northerners would take at least two out of the three. Mostly likely: Attorney General and Aviation.

So what's the implication of this hegemony on the Yorubas and how can we win the fight for regional-government/true-federalism when Northerners control all the important portfolio required to implement it?

P.S: please, post with a clear mind.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
theV0ice:

haba iya agba tun ge ege si eyin.....

Shymm3x ti petu si okan awon mejeji cheesy

won ti fi owo wo nu cheesy

I hope i didn't murder the language too much sha? grin

You sound like an akata speaking Yoruba for the first time. tongue

Did you just called shym3x a snail? Ifa must hear this shocked
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

You sound like an akata speaking Yoruba for the first time. tongue

Did you just called shym3x a snail? Ifa must hear this shocked

Shymm3x?? Snail ke?? shocked shocked shocked Oluwa mi o...

Is snail no longer Igbin?? which of my words up there connotes snail? shocked

Iya agba, abeg educate mi o

Meanwhile my funny yoruba is due to the fact that i was born, bred and buttered in the villages and creeks of the Niger Delta. thank God for OAU and my father who insisted on me speaking yoruba amd writing letters in yoruba, i for don loss cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:
Aareonakakanfo, Laudate, quimicababes, mayoroflagos, superstar1, 9jacrip, oduatstates, ileke/ilekehd, Aareonakakanfo, ritchiee, and everyone else who wants to contribute.

I want to us discuss the dynamics of Nigerian politics under the current government and what Yorubas stand to gain. I'll use excerpts from quimicababes' post as the preamble.

- Chief of Army Staff: Northerner (this is the most important portfolio in the Nigerian armed forces cos of the structure and whoever heads the army controls the armed forces cos the Nigerian army is the only section within the Nigerian military that's potent. The Chief of Defence is just a mere appendage).

The remaining important portfolios for decision making which are yet to be given out are:

- Finance
- Aviation
- Attorney General.

I think Northerners would take at least two out of the three. Mostly likely: Attorney General and Aviation.

So what's the implication of this hegemony on the Yorubas and how can we win the fight for regional-government/true-federalism when Northerners control all the important portfolio required to implement it?

With a profile like this, I'm still trying to understand what Tinubu is up to. I'm finding it hard not to think that he has mistakenly sold Nigeria to the North.

Honestly, there's no hope but the division of this country.

All efforts to establish federalism/regionalism during GEJ ( a diverse administration ) was futile. I have no hope or expectation for this admin.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 3:28pm On Nov 09, 2015
what's happening in Yoruba land today
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:29pm On Nov 09, 2015
theV0ice:

Meanwhile my funny yoruba is due to the fact that i was born, bred and buttered in the villages and creeks of the Niger Delta. thank God for OAU and my father who insisted on me speaking yoruba amd writing letters in yoruba, i for don loss cheesy

Your father is a great man. He brought our son back to us grin

I was messing with you/shym3x. I was hoping to see Aareonakakanfo referee a WWIII between you two grin joking......
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2015
WIZGUY69:
what's happening in Yoruba land today

Onijongbon, se o rant wa leni lol
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 09, 2015
[b]Hmmmn Interesting! I've always wanted to discuss this.

Call them herdsmen,illiterates and blabla but one thing you can take from the Fulani is Intelligence.I'm afraid to say they're politically smarter than every other ethnic group in West-Africa and their influence goes as far as gambia.How these guys were able to do it is a topic for another day

One thing a lot of Yorubas don't understand is this.The Hausa-Fulani guys only used us to gain power and they will dump us
when they deem it fit.

I believe Regional Government is only possible if there's Southern co-operation during elections.I remember the romanis threatening political parties before the election that they won't vote for anyone if they're not guaranteed seats in the Lagos state house of Assembly and I won't even lie to you low-key I was scared because I know the romani population in Lagos is huge

We and the romanis constitute over 65% of the south and If we can speak with one voice by threatening these parties concerning our stand on the issue of regionalism like the romanis did concerning Lagos, I feel it might be granted.The northerners are always in need of a partner.A partner with large population and once the 2 partners they love using to achieve their aims decide to form a duo, then they're doomed but I don't see that relationship happening.It's not about writing articles and carrying placards and that's where a lot of Odua groups are getting it wrong.

Another thing that might speed it up is the political unity of all Yoruba states.We need to have a single political party.That's the first step and we'll take it from there
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

Onijongbon, se o rant wa leni lol

grin cheesy
ki se baye oo mi fi yin le o. kilonsele
fayose so wi pe ki ma ki yin o wink
*sigh*
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

With a profile like this, I'm still trying to understand what Tinubu is up to. I'm finding it hard not to think that he has mistakenly sold Nigeria to the North.

Honestly, there's no hope but the division of this country.

All efforts to establish federalism/regionalism during GEJ ( a diverse administration ) was futile. I have no hope or expectation for this admin.

Please, let's leave Tinubu out of this. I knew he had no chance going against those folks, due to how the country is structure. However, I gave him the benefit of the doubt cos the party structure was under him during the elections. My only critique is the fact that some blinkered folks were trying to assert that he has surpassed Awolowo (hysterical cos in terms of political sagacity, Awolowo still towers above him despite the fact that the latter had his own weak points politically) and the fact that he turned Lagos into a family empire. Regardless, he did his thing and he's brighter than the current crop of folks masquerading as Yoruba leaders.

GEJ was an utter failure and he was just stupid to allow Igbos hijack his government. He had the chance to reduce the Northern hegemony and he won the election with four regions behind him. SE, SS, SE, and NC. He should've consolidated on that but he was just to dumb - hence he reduced his government to just two regions - SE/SS. Let's leave that weasel and utter failure in human skin out of the discourse as well.

So, how are we even going to get true-federalism/regional-government when the North, the same region that the status quo favours, has hijacked every portfolio required to push for that?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2015
The President Muhammadu Buhari-led government has approved the construction of the $2.4 billion Lagos red line rail project.

According to Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Dayo Mobereola, approving the right of way for the project had been a problem for donkey’s years as the Federal Government in the previous administration was reluctant to do so.

Bear in mind, the right of way belonged to the Nigeria Railway Corporation, NRC.

“It took us four and half years to get approval for the project. It took us another four years to get them to discuss the technicality of the project with us. The right-of-way has been approved and we are in full discussion with the bidders,” he said.

Speaking on the Blue Line Light Rail project, the commissioner said the government would complete it by the end of next year.

“We are mindful of the problem of transportation in Lagos State. Towards the end of next year, something will happen. Our rail project is 27 km and we are doing it in phases. We are doing Mile 2 to CMS now and we will do Mile 2 to Okokomaiko later,” he said.

http://www.360nobs.com/2015/11/pres-buhari-approves-2-4bn-for-construction-of-lagos-red-line-rail/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:38pm On Nov 09, 2015
theV0ice:

Bwahahahahaha

Isn't that the same place Shepopotamus got her fame from a la Wole Soyinka? grin

[img]http://media1./media/NZFcFQ5C0yh1e/giphy.gif[/img]
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2015
IlekeHD:

Your father is a great man. He brought our son back to us grin

I was messing with you/shym3x. I was hoping to see Aareonakakanfo referee a WWIII between you two grin joking......

I see cheesy cheesy

I have no fear. passion for yoruba matters don make the duke of Ijebuland turn to a dove making peace here...

He won't fight me no matter how hard you push him grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 3:45pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Bwahahahahaha

Isn't that the same place Shepopotamus got her fame from a la Wole Soyinka? grin

[img]http://media1./media/NZFcFQ5C0yh1e/giphy.gif[/img]

My brother, PEJ had no choice but turn out that way....

There's no gentility in the creeks cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x looking at it from different angles,the northerners have cornered the Government and we've been out-smarted.The only thing we have left is population and I feel we can use it advantageously in the next elections if we are determined

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
theV0ice:

I see cheesy cheesy

I have no fear. passion for yoruba matters don make the duke of Ijebuland turn to a dove making peace here...

He won't fight me no matter how hard you push him grin

Brev, it's never that. Brothers don't fight. We might disagree but that bond that binds us all together will never let us fight.

Don't trust these women - one of them was the one who ate the forbidden fruit and we all know what happened after that.

Shyte, women have been instigating shyte since the Kingdom of Atlantis reigned supreme. And I'd wager that humanity lost that kingdom cos of women. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 3:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

- Finance
- Aviation
- Attorney General.

Well, they said he had to choose his people as members of his kitchen cabinet. All right.

They also said loyalty and trust matters a lot. They said he trusts those people and their loyalty is unalloyed.

I'm cool with the reason they gave. What I find insulting was the damn word "Merit". They shouldn't have told us the people appointed are qualified and merited the position. I think that word was abused. Adeshina should have come out clean and said the people appointed are "Trustworthy and Loyal to the President".

I wish them well. I'm watching and following the movie. I said it here yesterday that Buhari should tread carefully because ground is slippery.

If Tinubu had not formed and gave them the platform(APC), they would have waited till 2019 before PDP zoned power to North. They should always remember that without APC, they wouldn't be chanting "Merit" now. They should also remember "The Key To Goodnight-Nigeria Is Still With Us".

I supported Jonah Ologogoro during the election because of the beef I have with the born-to-rule dudes. Also because Grandpa went to Ibadan in 2000 to complain that our farmers killed "MY PEOPLE" his Tse Tse Flies brethrens.

We shouldn't be caught unaware. God forbid, if anything bad should happen to PMB, the Fulani Oligarchs would instruct the COAS to take over power immediately and conduct another election a year after. We shouldn't fall for the one-nigeriya bullshitt.

They may talk about regionalism only if they discover crude oil in the north or if the Sapphire in Taraba is in huge quantity which can sustain them for years. They have become lazy, dependent on quota system and monthly feeding-bottle money from Abuja. They have more than enough solid minerals in Northern region which can sustain them if they looked inward and tap the resources. There is uranium in Borno, Taraba is blessed with resources in various LG of the states. Gembu is located at Sardauna Local Government. Sardauna LG at 9,389 km2 is bigger than Osun State. Sardauna LG alone can sustain Taraba state. There are solid mineral resources in various part of Northern Nigeria. They will only look inward when the free oil money dries.

So, I don't think those dudes will ever support anything regionalism until the free oil money seizes.

I wish them well. We are following the event as it pans out from Presidential Villa.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 3:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
theV0ice:

grin cheesy

I know how if feels Bro.
same with me (I do have this Hausa Accent). been the fact that I was brought up in the north.
anytime I travelled down to SW, my folks laugh at me whenever I speak ede Yoruba, And I hate when they call me Hausa. cool

I can never trade my tribe with Anything!!!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 3:48pm On Nov 09, 2015
theV0ice:

My brother, PEJ had no choice but turn out that way....

There's no gentility in the creeks cheesy

The big creeks - the glue that binds Nigeria together via oil money.

Salute to the creeks. Those folks deserve better, to be honest.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 3:48pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol.

That's on me. cool

for your mind abi?

Who says they are not taken lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:
Aareonakakanfo, Laudate, quimicababes, mayoroflagos, superstar1, 9jacrip, oduastates, ileke/ilekehd, musiwa419, ritchiee, and everyone else who wants to contribute.

- Finance
- Aviation
- Attorney General.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 09, 2015
Zimoni the North doesn't have to support regionalism.We can achieve it through Southern co-operation if we're ready to swallow our pride and work together.They can't do it alone and they know it

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 3:52pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Please, let's leave Tinubu out of this. I knew he had no chance going against those folks, due to how the country is structure. However, I gave him the benefit of the doubt cos the party structure was under him during the elections. My only critique is the fact that some blinkered folks were trying to assert that he has surpassed Awolowo (hysterical cos in terms of political sagacity, Awolowo still towers above him despite the fact that the latter had his own weak points politically) and the fact that he turned Lagos into a family empire. Regardless, he did his thing and he's brighter than the current crop of folks masquerading as Yoruba leaders.

GEJ was an utter failure and he was just stupid to allow Igbos hijack his government. He had the chance to reduce the Northern hegemony and he won the election with four regions behind him. SE, SS, SE, and NC. He should've consolidated on that but he was just to dumb - hence he reduced his government to just two regions - SE/SS. Let's leave that weasel and utter failure in human skin out of the discourse as well.

So, how are we even going to get true-federalism/regional-government when the North, the same region that the status quo favours, has hijacked every portfolio required to push for that?

1. Reduce Hausa/Fulani hegemony (even boko haram couldn't do it)

2. Division

3. Unity of Yoruba leaders do they can speak in one voice for federalism/regionalism

4. Exposing Northerner's greed with any form of Yoruba media and hyping Yoruba interest.

You can't reason with Northerners, nor can you win against them in this structure, you can only go against them like FFK/Falae ( not the best leaders, but the best tactic); Attack.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 3:52pm On Nov 09, 2015
Shymm3x:

Brev, it's never that. Brothers don't fight. We might disagree but that bond that binds us all together will never let us fight.

Don't trust these women - one of them was the one who ate the forbidden fruit and we all know what happened after that.

Shyte, women have been instigating shyte since the Kingdom of Atlantis reigned supreme. And I'd wager that humanity lost that kingdom cos of women.
grin grin grin

Preach it bro......

Nothing truer has been known to homo sapiens since the beginning of time cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.