Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,473 members, 7,846,969 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:40 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (213) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (674339 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2015
Osomalo:

I was angry when I saw the debt profile.

I'm sorry, I apologize to the House.

You notice I hardly have strong words for our SW leaders not only cos of Elder Gbawe but it doesn't sserve us right if we just group ourselves to create a thread & spend 90% complaing.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 1:53pm On Nov 14, 2015
@ Osomalo,

Your moniker reminds me of baba baba mi... cry[/quote]

Abi nah. I love the name. My parents are Osomalos.

I can't wait to become one, I'm tired of pressing the calcalutor jarey. I like business gann.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:01pm On Nov 14, 2015
tupacshakur:

If you notice, I seldom contribute to political and economical issues pertaining to the SW as I hold none of the Governors in high esteem. I believe no Yoruba Governor since 1999 is worthy of emulation, including Fashola. They are all bunch of crooks and far from being in the mold of the great Obafemi Awolowo.

Oh, how I detest Tinubu. He's a smart politician though. I give that to him but he achieved nothing in his 8 years at the helm of affairs in Lagos state. He left the state in tatters, allegedly murdered Funsho Williams in cold blood, as he knew the latter was obviously going to defeat his party, AC. He handed over to an overrated Fashola, after disregarding democratic tenets in the AC primaries that'd have seen Jimi Agbaje emerge as the party's flag bearer.

Aunty Modath, oro po ninu iwe kobo.

With due respect, I disagree with you on your stance. Let's criticize our SW leaders explicitly without mincing words. E jeki a bu won daa da! . Afterall, who have they helped, except their cronies and relatives?

As regards the Flat-heads' unwarranted and annoying poke-nosing into this thread, I think the best folks like you can do is to ignore them completely. But trust me, I'll pay them in their own coin.

That aside, I've been trying to figure out how you came about your moniker, "modath"...sounds like the name of an ancient Greek goddess. As google couldn't help, I tried stringing parts of some distinct words together but gave up after futile attempts. I thought of MODupe-ATHeist, but a lady Yoruba atheist is as rare as a virgin in a maternity ward. grin . I know the reason behind IlekeHD and Ibebe's moniker though.

9jacrip:

Egbon mi, I have thought about the effect of giving a 'foe' ammunitions to attack us with but then how are we supposed to discuss pressing issues if we are not honest with and to ourselves?

We do not have any other platform exclusively reserved for us to open up about situations bothering on our region.

If we begin to censor, how else are some of us not present in or accessible to some locations supposed to get a clear picture of the situation there?

I would like to see how it goes if the house chooses to dumb things down.

The both of you have said it all and there's nothing more to add.

The ridiculous debt profile and utter idi.otic fiscal policies by SW governors is enough for folks to hit the streets and start protesting in saner climes. It shows that collectively SWern governors are the worst in the country. How can five of the 6 states be running at a deficit and folks think people need to be quiet about it? Ridiculous.

Who cares about who's reading and taunting who? Are they the ones who will pay back the debts, while these rogues keep enriching themselves, their cronies, and unborn generations on the backs of poor Yoruba folks who aren't benefiting anything from their wasteful spending, with nothing to show for it?

These folks have failed Yorubas and we need to talk about their obvious failures. That was what we created the thread for - for awareness and to discuss everything Yoruba, with no holds barred.

If Winston Churchill wasn't critiqued for his shortcomings and obvious failures - there would have never been a Clement Attlee, who's the father of modern Britain and the greatest British PM ever.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 2:03pm On Nov 14, 2015
modath:

You notice I hardly have strong words for our SW leaders not only cos of Elder Gbawe but it doesn't sserve us right if we just group ourselves to create a thread & spend 90% complaing.

E ma bi'nu simi. Inu lo n bimi lana.

Olorun a fun wa ni ogbon lati yanju isoro gbese wa Amin.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 14, 2015
Se a tun ti fe bere oro Aregbe yii laa ro yi ni

@Modath as per the words we use, well..To some extent I watch what people say and I don't think anyone has gone to the extreme.maybe to me though because we all view things differently

but good advice from the elders regardless grin smiley
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2015
@ Aareonakakanfo

That's what I told you about getting too many folks involved on this thread cos it'll get too partisan. I know this forum cos I've been here for three years and a lot of folks are too partisan.

This is also the reason why Katsumoto stopped posting cos it's difficult to critique the so-called "Yoruba leaders" for their obvious failures. That's why these folks keep taking Yoruba folks as mugs.

Once you use the dynamics of the last elections as a yardstick and how close the election was in all SWern states, you'd see that a lot of Yoruba folks out there are tired of APC. But they just don't have a choice cos it's the lesser devil when compared to PDP.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:14pm On Nov 14, 2015
Osomalo:

I was angry when I saw the debt profile.

I'm sorry, I apologize to the House.

Yes but you guys should still chill and try to understand the problem before the unnecessary and unhelpful vitriol which is worthless to our search for solutions. Osun was created out of nothing but ego. It was never economically viable. It was therefore a State destined to struggle. Agrebe did not cause that problem but is now charged with looking for solutions to what is a very difficult situation to turn around.

Osun had no choice but to become indebted. That is something we must first get clear. Most SW States, because of leadership myopia and corruption, became civil servant enclaves where many are employed by the government more or less as a way to disburse national wealth instead of what obtains elsewhere where people are employed to actually fill a vacancy. My estimate is that 50-60% of those employed by the government in Nigeria are not needed. States like Osun, because it is very poor, struggle with this problem more than others. I remember visiting my mum, now retired, in Abuja when she was posted their as a senior civil servant. I was appalled at what I saw. I was disgusted many "workers" were sitting around in her corridor twiddling their thumbs, playing with their phones and generally doing nada to justify what they are being paid by the FG. They were all totally unnecessary employees indulged by a system that relied on Government to be the biggest employer of labour while the SME sector, the lifeblood of the biggest economies in the world, could not mop up the employment slack because it was moribund due to issues like lack of stable power, government neglect et al. It is precisely the same at State level.

Rather than coming here to curse and insult leaders we would be better off trying to understand the challenges they face so we can understand the solutions these leaders need but are constrained from delivering because of things beyond their control.

For example, the SW and Nigeria needs electricity so that the SME sector can thrive and offer employment that will mean government at State and federal level is not compelled to be the highest employer of labour when that is seriously and unnecessarily hurting Nigeria fiscally through recurrent expenditure budgeting.

We should also agitate for the aggressive development of the agriculture and solid mineral sector so that economic diversification can become a reality.

we should look at how Nigerians are educated and trained so that we gain a much higher calibre of skilled labour that will attract potential FDI (foreign direct investment) to consider Nigeria a meritoriously worthwhile destination.

There is so much that can and must be done at federal level to help the likes of Aregebesola and many other Yoruba leaders from "swimming against the tide" in a sea of hopelessness. yet the point remains that we must familiarise ourselves with the problem to note even all of us, finding it very easy to criticise, would fail if some things are not in place. virtually all Nigerians States are civil servant States. Some of us should go and consider what this means, and the constraint leaders face at State level to change the status quo, before we insult others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 2:15pm On Nov 14, 2015
Gbawe:

The truth is that Aregbe had solid plans for the promotion of tourism and hospitality in Osun State. Sadly the reality of the times overtook and defeated his lofty plans. Osun is a very poor State that had no business becoming a State in the first place and was only carved out of Oyo state due to the usual egotism and myopia of those who think creating smaller and unsustainable "independent" geographical area is the way forward in an age where borders are shrinking because of globalisation and an idea-based way of living. The likes of Aregbe have to deal with the difficult issues related to leading a State that was never meant to be a State in the first place.

Aregbe made mistakes but what ultimately rendered him unable to deliver on the lofty ideas he had is simply lack of funds to improve a State that was already very poor with issues compounded by the dire economic situation of Nigeria that meant allocation to States has dropped significantly. We should be coming up with suggestions to help our leaders , after we familiarise ourselves with the problem totally, before we criticise in ways that makes it obvious we are not ready to be part of the solution. Osun was never really viable. Yet it could become viable and Aregbe planned to make it viable but we must never discount events beyond his control that rendered his lofty plans unachievable. After that stage, we then look at how to salvage things moving forward instead of limiting ourselves to talking as if these leaders caused and enjoy the lack of socio-economic development we all see and decry. There is nothing you say and suggest here that bright minds in Osun have not thought of. If funds are lacking to implement even the brightest of ideas then that has to be addressed first before we all start searching for miracles. Even Osun hoteliers, below, admit Aregbe has good plans and intentions but is severely constrained by the economic ill-health of Nigeria. The solution for Osun has to be holistic and linked to a healthy national economy. Osun can grow strong. more independent and prosperous in a period of national economic prosperity but the state is one of those especially vulnerable in a period of national economic hardship and downturn.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/osun-financial-crises-be-courageous-hoteliers-urge-aregbesola/

Gbawe baba!...always a pleasure reading your posts.

The state of my state, Osun saddens me a great deal.

I think the goddess of the land, Yeye Osun is angry with Aregbesola for changing the state's slogan from "The state of the Living spring" to one yeye "Land of virtue".

Where is the nonsense virtue, when there's no money?

The slogan, "The state of the Living spring" perfectly depicts the insignia, core and crux of the state, the Osun Oshogbo river and the Osun Oshogbo sacred grove, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I'm sure it's monotheistically religious and "God-fearing" individuals like modath that must have convinced Aregbe to change the slogan, based on the fact it tends to promote our traditional religion and gods at the expense of imported religions like Islam and Christianity.

Aregbe should be advised to appease the gods and goddesses of the land and change the slogan with immediate effect, for sanity and prosperity to return back to the state. O ni lati gbe ebo losi oritameta.

If he doesn't, I'm changing it as soon as I become the Governor. Zimoni and Modath, I'm thinking of making you guys commissioners when I become the Governor of Osun state. What portfolios would you prefer?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 2:16pm On Nov 14, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Se a tun ti fe bere oro Aregbe yii laa ro yi ni

@Modath as per the words we use, well..To some extent I watch what people say and I don't think anyone has gone to the extreme.maybe to me though because we all view things differently

but good advice from the elders regardless grin smiley

Well, I'm only angry because of the debt our so-called leaders have accumulated.

Fashola, during screening at Senate, defended the Lagos' debt as if it's no big deal despite what Lagos is owing.

How we are going to pay the debt is my concern. Imagine Osun State owing 52Bn as at 2014.

Truth is, there is problem. Question is, how do we get out of this mess? When is it going to be?

I'll stop calling them Oloriburuku Somebodies for now. I am watching and waiting for them to clear the mess.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 14, 2015
Hmmmmn Shymm3x o ga.E se a je ka ni suuru. grin wink

One thing I know for sure is that besides the 2 or 3 posters I've personally called out here, I truly believe everyone here wants good for the Yoruba nation even though some of us are still partisan

We all agree we're Yorubas first before we're PDP/APC so lets avoid any friction as much as we can

One Love!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superduperjay: 2:18pm On Nov 14, 2015
I am not a politics babe so I won't put my mouth there. But I want to ask the debt profile guys a few question which I'd want them to answer honestly because to me you guys have not really hit the main point just going round in circles and getting angry without proferring solutions. 1) why would you not want to live in yobe that has the least debt but you'd live in lagos that as the most debt? Why? Whats the difference 2) why will everyone from tourists to guests to diplomats to other nigerians prefer lagos with highest debt than yobe with least debts? Why?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by kaybams1(m): 2:20pm On Nov 14, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:21pm On Nov 14, 2015
laudate:

Yemoya?? I thought it was Yemoja??

Osun State needs to get its act together in tourism and treat it strictly like a business at the highest levels of governance, in order to earn improved revenue from it. Look at Nairobi, Kenya and Gaborone, Botswana. Right from the international airport, you are given leaflets and flyers highlighting all the tourism attractions in their country, and if you visit the tourism desk right at their airport they will book you a hotel, cab, or bus and hand you over to a registered tour operator that takes you straight to their tourist sites. Of course, you would pay the required fees directly to the tour company, but it is worth it. wink

Their tour operators go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and interesting. There are so many branded souvenirs of high quality at every corner, for you to choose from as holiday gifts. And they do not cost the earth. cheesy

These countries are actively represented at the World Travel Market and other fairs around the globe that have anything to do with tourism, travel and hospitality. Osun State can learn how they did it, and adapt some of their methods to drive tourism in their state. undecided For example, can't we get hovercrafts and ferries from Lagos State to transport people directly to Osun for the festival, using the waterways??

Lol.

They call the god "yemoya" in Condombe, Santeria, Voodun et al. These folks love Osun goddess, Yemoya, Shango, and Ogun. Then they do cite Obatala from time to time. But I think Osun and Yemoya are the most revered in Yoruba diaspora.

Imagine. And these are third world countries. Osun states doesn't even need to go to all those tourism outlets - they just need to go to Brazil, Grenada, Cuba, Dominican republic, Puerto Rico, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago et al to create awareness and keep good relations with these folks. In that region alone, there are over 80 million people interested in Osun goddess cos of how intertwined Yoruba religion is with Catholicism out there.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by kaybams1(m): 2:22pm On Nov 14, 2015
If this is what this thread is created for, then i can assure you that it will die a natural death. What's the point talking about the obvious. Tinubu is a fool, Fashola is overrated bla bla bla..... Pages keep rolling with unnecessary vitriolics on men that are not less fallible than we are. I think we need to relax for starters and act like progressives that we are. Deliberate more on issues and less on individuals.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 14, 2015
This one wey everybody just dey jump inside ring

Why una eyes dey red like this.kilode? ehn!

I know some people are waiting to jump in as well

Make una calm dahn ooo grin grin cheesy before fight start

Oya e je ka jo grin grin

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:24pm On Nov 14, 2015
kaybams1:

If this is what this thread is created for, then i can assure you that it will die a natural death. What's the point talking about the obvious. Tinubu is a fool, Fashola is overrated bla bla bla..... Pages keep rolling with unnecessary vitriolics on men that are not less fallible as we are. I think we need to relax for starters and act like progressives that we are. Deliberate more on issues and less on individuals.

And you think three pages of discussing the obvious on a thread we've pushed to over 200 pages will kill the thread, no?

How many posts have you contributed to the thread? We don't need you lot.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:24pm On Nov 14, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
[b]For God's sake how will I be earning 10k per month and be borrowing 50k from the bank.Who does that?

Maaan some of these guys don't think.Common sense

Despite the number of Industries springing up in Ogun state, why is the IGR so low? Look at the gap between Lagos and other South-west states

Mr otondo Mimi-coke just borrowed another N7billion oo

Komonsense Solutions

Cut down the population of civil service workers by encouraging vocations.Not everyone should be in the Civil service

Encourage entrepreneurship so more private sector jobs can be created.If we lay off government workers through inefficiency, they can move to the private sector and those on the payroll of the Government will reduce

Raise Taxes:Taxes should be raised.Companies should pay more tax.This is where I fault Ogun state

Cut Spending: Increasing tax is not enough,some of these Governors are just wasteful.Patronize local firms because Its cheaper.There's Dantata & Sawoe Construction,there's Costain west Africa.I believe these foreign construction companies are cheating us.Projects that should ordinarily cost $2billion will cost $7billion .Why?
[/b]

Egbon, I am sorry but I don't believe in increased taxes! All the ones that have been paid so far, have they been properly deployed in a transparent manner to areas of need?? Have they been judiciously utilised? Especially in Lagos??

From what the tax officers say, only 50% of taxable adults in places like Lagos are paying tax. So my suggestion would be to widen the tax net to ensure that the remaining 50% who currently do not pay tax, are made to pay their taxes. Make it easy and comfortable for people to pay their taxes, and let people experience the direct benefits of paying their tax. Don't overburden existing taxpayers. cry

I keep paying tax, but the road that leads to my house is in shambles. I pay Land Use Charge but the amenities in my neighbourhood are virtually zero. I pay vehicle license renewal tax, but I still go through toll gates and am still charged. Half of my taxes are used for massive electioneering campaigns, to elect leaders who would still mismanage taxes I have paid, or who would still ensure that at least 30% of my taxes end up in their private pockets. Na wetin?? Kilode??! shocked shocked
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 14, 2015
laudate:

Egbon, I am sorry but I don't believe in increased taxes! All the ones that have been paid so far, have they been properly deployed in a transparent manner to areas of need?? Have they been judiciously utilised? Especially in Lagos??

From what the tax officers say, only 50% of taxable adults in places like Lagos are paying tax. So my suggestion would be to widen the tax net to ensure that the remaining 50% who currently do not pay tax, are made to pay their taxes. Make it easy and comfortable for people to pay their taxes, and let people experience the direct benefits of paying their tax. Don't overburden existing taxpayers. cry

I keep paying tax, but the road that leads to my house is in shambles. I pay Land Use Charge but the amenities in my neighbourhood are virtually zero. I pay vehicle license renewal tax, but I still go through toll gates and am still charged. Half of my taxes are used for massive electioneering campaigns, to elect leaders who would still mismanage taxes I have paid, or who would still ensure that at least 30% of my taxes end up in their private pockets. Na wetin?? Kilode??! shocked shocked

Eyin naa tun gbe ti yin de. grin grin

There's no how we won't need to increase tax.No government can survive without that

All we need is accountability
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:28pm On Nov 14, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
This one wey everybody just dey jump inside ring

Why una eyes dey red like this.kilode? ehn!

I know some people are waiting to jump in as well

Make una calm dahn ooo grin grin cheesy before fight start

Oya e je ka jo grin grin

Don't mind the political jobbers.

When we started the thread, they never contributed anything to it.

However, now that they released the damning evidence of how their paymasters have failed Yoruba people - they're crying everywhere. Like seriously, who cares? When the thread was moved twice, how many of them came to show solidarity? Muthaphuck these people.

This section is like every other section on this forum.

In the politics section, for folks to like you - you have to either be partisan or be a tribal warlord.

In the family section, for folks to like you - you have to be a sucker and a fervent supporter of feminism.

In the sports section, for folks to like you - you have to be a Chelsea hater.

Nairaland for you in 3D. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 14, 2015
I will be back to give you more sense..

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 14, 2015
And can we all report the !dd.!ot boy above for breaking rule no1?They keep coming back
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2015
Another thing is that some of the existing project costs for infrastructure etc., are curiously over-bloated. Citizens in communities where such projects are being executed need to be carried along, while others in those communities whose minds have been blinded by greed need to be arrested and prosecuted. sad

A few years ago, Ben Bruce's Silverbird Group launched its television station in the Lekki area of Lagos. The road leading to that TV station around the Jakande housing estate in Ilasan, was initially tarred by the state govt after intense lobbying by Silverbird. Later, the road deteriorated, and Ben Bruce offered to rebuild it from scratch using interlocking paving stones and an enhanced method of road construction. undecided

What did the Baale and youths in that community say? They asked that a sum of 20 million should be paid to them first, before that road could be repaired by Ben Bruce & his team. The guy simply relocated his TV station to Victoria Island and abandoned that community road for them. The road is still in a state of disrepair, as we speak! angry
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2015
Shymm3x:

The both of you have said it all and there's nothing more to add.

The ridiculous debt profile and utter idi.otic fiscal policies by SW governors is enough for folks to hit the streets and start protesting in saner climes. It shows that collectively SWern governors are the worst in the country. How can five of the 6 states be running at a deficit and folks think people need to be quiet about it? Ridiculous.

Who cares about who's reading and taunting who? Are they the ones who will pay back the debts, while these rogues keep enriching themselves, their cronies, and unborn generations on the backs of poor Yoruba folks who aren't benefiting anything from their wasteful spending, with nothing to show for it?

These folks have failed Yorubas and we need to talk about their obvious failures. That was what we created the thread for - for awareness and to discuss everything Yoruba, with no holds barred.

If Winston Churchill wasn't critiqued for his shortcomings and obvious failures - there would have never been a Clement Attlee, who's the father of modern Britain and the greatest British PM ever.

Shymmex baba! *Respect*

You just hit the nail on the head!

You too much!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Hmmmmn Shymm3x o ga.E se a je ka ni suuru. grin wink

One thing I know for sure is that besides the 2 or 3 posters I've personally called out here, I truly believe everyone here wants good for the Yoruba nation even though some of us are still partisan

We all agree we're Yorubas first before we're PDP/APC so lets avoid any friction as much as we can

One Love!

But how can you want the best for ya people when you want to hide everything wrong with ya people?

Who will look at that debt profile and not be very worried apart from those benefiting from these politicians?

Why should one man have that much power to enslave a whole region of over 30 million people and keep robbing them?

It's not right - we need to talk about it.

Katsumoto left cos of the madness.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 2:33pm On Nov 14, 2015
tupacshakur:

Gbawe baba!...always a pleasure reading your posts.

The state of my state, Osun saddens me a great deal.

I think the goddess of the land, Yeye Osun is angry with Aregbesola for changing the state's slogan from "The state of the Living spring" to one yeye "Land of virtue".

Where is the nonsense virtue, when there's no money?

The slogan, "The state of the Living spring" perfectly depicts the insignia, core and crux of the state, the Osun Oshogbo river and the Osun Oshogbo sacred grove, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I'm sure it's monotheistically religious and "God-fearing" individuals like modath that must have convinced Aregbe to change the slogan, based on the fact it tends to promote our traditional religion and gods at the expense of imported religions like Islam and Christianity.

Aregbe should be advised to appease the gods and goddesses of the land and change the slogan with immediate effect, for sanity and prosperity to return back to the state. O ni lati gbe ebo losi oritameta.

If he doesn't, I'm changing it as soon as I become the Governor. Zimoni and Modath, I'm thinking of making you guys commissioners when I become the Governor of Osun state. What portfolios would you prefer?

Being a QS, I would have preferred works ministry but by 2018 I would have become Baba Mutum. I may nomminate someone sha lols.

Seriously, it's annoying. They knew Osun State is poor yet they keep borrowing.

Are they not ashamed of always burrowing? I tired for those guys mehn.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2015
modath:

Correct - and this is my point. Anyone can complain. In fact most do that best on this forum because it is the easiest thing to do. One of the biggest problem facing Nigeria, that Aregbe and other Yorubas leaders did not cause neither can turn around easily, is how most Nigerians States are civil servant State, in contrast to what obtains worldwide, where the biggest employer of labour is the government that must then budget massively to pay salaries annually when this does not need to be so.

We have an APC government in place and we have the competent Fashola as minister of power. Would it not serve us better, when the SW is now linked to the centre, to agitate for constant power supply, which would aid the growth and proliferation of SMEs that would in turn provide massive employment, instead of cursing out leaders here and "complaining" 90% of the time? My point is that we have it good politically now because the SW is essentially allied to the centre through the APC. This is the time to make realistic, pragmatic and workable demands instead of talking about "new political party" and new leaders when we are in a position of strength that means we simply have to make the right demands. I talked earlier in this thread of a lobby group, consisting of us NL members, that can be an influential body to officially engage our leaders. Did anyone respond positively to such so we can even move the idea forward? Yet we seem to have boundless energy to curse others and perpetually focus on the past alone with without the obvious readiness to proffer solutions or even show a readiness to come together and be part of the solution.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:36pm On Nov 14, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Eyin naa tun gbe ti yin de. grin grin

There's no how we won't need to increase tax.No government can survive without that

All we need is accountability

Egbon, trust me when I say a lot of professional people living in Lagos are already over-taxed! And I still don't see the point why people should be taxed above their ability to pay. They should use the existing taxes properly.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 2:36pm On Nov 14, 2015
Deleted. Double post.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 2:36pm On Nov 14, 2015
kaybams1:

If this is what this thread is created for, then i can assure you that it will die a natural death. What's the point talking about the obvious. Tinubu is a fool, Fashola is overrated bla bla bla..... Pages keep rolling with unnecessary vitriolics on men that are not less fallible than we are. I think we need to relax for starters and act like progressives that we are. Deliberate more on issues and less on individuals.

That is the simple point. How can we move forward given the innate challenges and constraints that is not even unique to the SW?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2015
laudate:

Am so sorry. I saw this before, but I just lost track of it somewhere in between my numerous responses.

I will search for data on the total number of workers in state ministries, but that would take a bit of time. I am sure some ministries don't even have accurate figures on the number of workers they have! shocked

As for PPP, it is an operational scheme in Lagos, Ogun and a few other places, but it really needs a lot of fine-tuning and monitoring, and there have been instances to show that the states have not been up to par, in their monitoring functions. sad

In Lagos for example, there is the Lagos State Public-Private Partnership Office that implements and monitors PPP projects. The AES Nigeria’s 270 Megawatt (MW) - IPP Project, is reported to be an Independent Power Project (IPP) that operates nine (9) barge-mounted gas turbines, producing 270MW of electricity. On their website it says :
However in reality, AES was implicated in a financial scandal a few years back and the project was grounded. I don't know if it is back on stream now. I need to find out. sad

There is also the Akute Power Project (12.15 Megawatt) - IPP for the Lagos State Water Corporation. The Akute Power Project provides a total capacity of 12.15 MW by using four 3 MW GE Jenbacher gas engines.

To the best of my knowledge this project is still running, but the total amount spent so far and on-going costs are not fully known.

There have been other PPP arrangements in the area of waste collection and disposal, transportation, housing, land use revenue collection etc. You can get more details here: http://www.lagosstateppp.gov.ng/projects/case_studies/transportation/transportation.asp

The construction and tolling of the Lekki-Epe Expressway is another example of a PPP Project. While the1st phase of the road construction was completed in 2012, it has thrown up a lot of controversy and angst especially among the road users. The concession is operated by the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) which has a 30 year contract in place to collect tolls and maintain the roads. The profit sharing formula remains unknown, and the promoters were taken to court by residents along that road at one time. The success of that project led Lagos State to construct a tolled 1.7km bridge linking Lekki to Ikoyi, last year with another company.

However, construction on the coastal road has not even begun and the tolled Lekki-Epe expressway has not solved the traffic problem on that axis due to its faulty design and lack of overhead bridges to divert traffic at the roundabouts.

I'll be back with more info on both projects later. undecided

Thanks a lot for that.

We also need to know those behind the "private companies" they're running these PPP projects with. There's Odua Investment Group there, how come they're not making any concessions to this company, since it represents Yoruba interest?

Please, help us post any information you can lay ya hands on.

Sweet.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2015
Osun state external debts 2007 - 2012. We need to put the blame exactly where it belongs.

Today it is about 10.7 billion naira

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by kaybams1(m): 2:39pm On Nov 14, 2015
Shymm3x:

And you think three pages of discussing the obvious on a thread we've pushed to over 200 pages will kill the thread, no?

How many posts have you contributed to the thread? We don't need you lot.

I did my best not to quote you cos i know you have a penchant for things like this. Am just one person trying to inject a fresh perspective. No one is contesting the glory of the thread with you so relax dude. Besides you use the word "we" rather too loosely cos the last time i checked this thread didn't have your name pasted on it as the primary theme of discussion. Ego is an insidious thing you need to check. We all have it but yours is an eye saw.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.