Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,730 members, 7,831,328 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (245) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (671923 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:26am On Nov 18, 2015
Top 3 Business Ideas for Ibadan

Commerce is the heart of a city; in fact the difference between a rural and urban settlement is usually in the volume of commercial activities. In a rural area, housing is not a major business venture while in more advanced communities, housing plays a major role.

I have lived in Ibadan for a while now. I have kept my eyes open for business opportunities here. I have investigated some possible business ideas that can change your fortune in Ibadan.

Well, I should mention whatever business you choose to do in the city, you need to map out your market; understand it and yes, understand the Ibadan people.

Agriculture
It is often an overstated fact that over 70% of Nigerians are farmers. This is true but does subsistence farming, I mean cultivating of plants or rearing of animals for your family alone make you a farmer? No, in my opinion. Subsistence farming is what is commonly practiced in Nigeria and that is by no means a business. On the other hand, commercial agriculture provides employment, generates income and increases the GDP of the country–which subsistence agriculture will not do.

Ibadan, despite being a city, still offers lots of unused agriculturally fertile lands in its suburbs. These lands are available even at affordable rates. Someone once bought two acres of land for about N650,000 about 2 years ago around Egbeda area. Another bought an acre (6 plots) in Moniya towards Iseyin for N330, 000.

agricImagine you growing plants like Cassava, Banana, Plantain, or even short term plants like Maize, Pepper, Tomatoes, Vegetables. FYI, Dangote just started a tomato processing plant Dangote Tomatoes will likely source for high quality tomatoes across the country. Who knows there could be a tomato processing plant in this part of the country soon. Or you could start one. Come to think of it, why do our tomatoes rot before they reach the market? You can take a cue from Tomato Jos.

Chicken, Turkey and other birds can be reared to. At the maximum price of about N300 per day-old bird, a bag of feed under N5000. Bird rearing is also a good way to go. Although it is more capital intensive compared with the cultivation of crops but the yield is a lot more too. If for instance you have 1, 000 layers. They lay eggs for about one and a half years and you still sell the old layers.

Other aspects of Agriculture includes, Horticulture, this is more of an art and requires a little specialized knowledge, yet if acquired, only horticulturist could tell you more.

Dog sale and mating: Personally, I do not understand the recent craze about dogs especially due to the fact that I was chased every Sunday for 3 full years by some dogs–don’t ask me why. Well, people like them and by
selling them, you can make a whole lot of profit. A friend of mine mated his dog for N50,000 because it was some pure breed of some dog species I don’t care about, but N50, 000 is no small money. Imagine mating 5 or more in a month.

I should also mention that agriculture usually looks good on paper. However, experience and some form of learning through some apprenticeship of some sort may be important. Agriculture on paper is not the same as agriculture on field. Get some field experience.

Transportation
ajumose2This still poses a challenge in Ibadan. As much as I do not like to compare Lagos to Ibadan for any reason, but for this particular reason Ibadan is not even trying. The so called cabs–I feel taxis should be a better word because it sounds more disgusting–are average, a few good ones and a few terrible ones but average ones are plenty. Have you tried those Micra taxis before? Let us leave it there.

The danfos are a completely different story. Those white buses striped with blue, come in all shapes, with different kinds of trouble. You wonder if some buses have gear beneath the bus because of the vibration that comes from below the buses when the gear is changed. Some are always waiting at different bus-stops just to fill their carburetors with water. You dare not wear a white shirt in those buses, while you could be sure some other buses will in at least puncture your outfit due to the high number of pointed edges in the buses as a result of repairs. I sincerely doubt if there is a danfo bus in Ibadan that is in good shape.

The Ajumose–Pacesetter Buses–seem to be a better idea but in my experience it seems we only have one hovering round the city. They are not enough. So, the few buses available are packed full with citizens who want to make use of the affordable buses. Where else will you enter a bus from Ojoo to Bere just for N50; that’s some distance?

These voids leave massive gaps for entrepreneurs to fill. Imagine a start-up for transport services that comes complete with a functional mobile phone service; imagine the cab just being a phone call away? Imagine the service coming complete with an online application to spot the closest cab to you? Can we have our own Uber? Sorry–Iber? Imagine privately owned buses like the Ajumose buses, Imagine nice and branded danfo buses. The possibilities of making loads of money in
Ibadan through transportation is endless.

Housing
You might never get to appreciate the diversity in Ibadan until you need a house. New Bodija, Challenge, Ring Road, Jericho, Akobo and a few other places would make you feel you are the king. Step out there and you will experience hell. That is in terms of area and beauty. In the areas even mentioned above (as well as in many other
areas too) you would see a good building left in dilapidated condition and you will see agents/landlords expecting the soon-to-be tenant to take care of the houses.

Housing/estate agents are so few in Ibadan. I mean the authentic ones. Everyone is an estate agent. You will be shocked that your mechanic is. And that his dog also is. Getting a house is a long winded process where you go though a chain of agents; this increases the rent because each bead in the chain of agents must get something. The rent may be relatively cheap but imagine the trouble…

A lot can be improved about housing in Ibadan. From building decent buildings to taking good care of available ones to easy accessibility to estate managers and so on. Play any part and money is surely yours.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:27am On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:29am On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:33am On Nov 18, 2015
-
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:34am On Nov 18, 2015
My favourite song is Fela’s Zombie – Alake of Egba

Zombie’, the song by late Fela Anikulapo-Kuti is the favourite song of the Alake of Egba, Adedotun Gbadebo, the king stated on Sunday.
The Alake, a retired army colonel, stated this during a programme on Rockcity FM radio in Ogun State.

Zombie was temporarily banned on Nigerian airwaves by the military government of Muhammadu Buhari when Fela first released the song.
“You can’t believe this, my best and favourite music is Zombie produced by late Fela Anikulapo-Kuti,” the royal father said.
During the interview, Mr. Gbadebo also spoke about President Muhammadu Buhari and Tunde Idiagbon who was Mr. Buhari’s deputy when the former was military head of state.

“For anybody to see them as mean, it’s unfair,” he said of the two retired generals. “They don’t create problems as we’ve been made to believe; rather they solve problems.”

The monarch said he was retired as a soldier alongside Messrs. Buhari and Idiagbon after the 1985 coup that ousted the Buhari military government.

He also said he has forgiven former Ogun State Governor, Gbenga Daniel, whom he alleged plotted to dethrone him. He said it was the Sultan of Sokoto who accompanied Mr. Daniel to his palace to mend fences.

“I have forgiven him (Mr. Daniel),” he said. “Sultan brought him here. When God has proved me right why should I not forgive him. He came to me with Sultan, we wined and dined together.”
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:34am On Nov 18, 2015
IlekeHD:

I've finished one thread. Off to the next lol.

Which one are you reading? grin

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:36am On Nov 18, 2015
Osun resumes distribution of Opon Imo in schools

The Governor of Osun, Rauf Aregbesola, on Friday said his administration would not be deterred in its resolve to take education in the state to greater height. The governor stated this ‎in Ede during the second phase of the flag-off and distribution of tablets of knowledge across public secondary schools in the state. Mr. ‎Aregbesola, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Lawrence Oyeniran, described the intervention of the E-stand-alone tablet of knowledge as a fundamental breakthrough in education in the state.‎

He said “Opon Imo” is a serious achievement by his administration in education intervention and innovation that has received various commendations globally. The governor said his government came up with this innovation to ensure better improvement in both internal and external examinations which he said had suffered serious setback before his assumption of office.

Mr. Aregbesola disclosed that the distribution of the computer device would cut across SSS 3 students in all public schools in the state.
“We are here at Adventist High School, Ede, to kick off the distribution of Tablets of Knowledge known as “Opon Imo” to all the high school students across the state of Osun. “The tablets of knowledge which is acknowledged both nationally and internationally is a tablet that makes teaching and learning easier in our state.

“We request our students to make good and judicious use of it because it is a great opportunity for them to have a computer based tablets of knowledge to assist their learning technique. “Aside from that, both principal and subject teachers should be enjoined to ensure that they give the desired guidance to the students on the proper use of Opon Imo in the sense that whoever for any reason among the beneficiaries (students) misapply its uses, it will attract N50,000 fine and this is backed up by legislation of the Osun State House of Assembly.

“The distribution will go round the entire three senatorial districts of Osun State,” he said. Commenting on why the first distributed Tablets of Knowledge were retrieved from the students, he said it was done to upgrade, repackage and give those students promoted to SSS 3 class the equal opportunity to use the e-learning device.

“After a session, we retrieved those materials for upgrading, repackaging and repair because it was obvious that some of these materials might have been damaged by the beneficiaries since they are not meant for keep by the students. “In as much as it is a tablet that is meant for generation yet unborn, there is need for both government and the students to see it as a valuable assets needed to be carefully preserved and protected.

“Its use is mainly for students who are successfully promoted to SSS 3 class and these electronic device would be used for West African Senior School Certificate Examination(WASSCE), National Examination Council Examination (NECO), and Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).” On the significant impact of Opon Imo since its introduction, Governor Aregbesola said since the advent of the electronic gadgets, the performance of students across the state had tremendously improved in terms of results and academic prizes.

He said, “When you look at the status of our education in terms of our students WAEC results, academic accolades and performances in the past before the advent of ‘Opon Imo’ by juxtaposing it with the current situation in the education sector, there is no doubt in the fact that we have improved geometrically and purposefully. “Our landmark achievements in education has been manifested in the quality of public school products.

“Spontaneous development has been recorded since the intervention of this technological initiative of our administration as our students results have improved through the academic tools being given to them, while their performances have been on the increase.”

He charged the school principals of all the public schools in the state to convene meetings and interactive sections with parents on the need to assist their wards to properly protect and preserve the device given to them.

Mr. Aregbesola added, “There is need for parents of our students to be properly oriented and enlightened on the carefully use of the Opon Imo because some students are very careless to the extent that they may misapply or misuse the device outside what it was meant for.
“The era whereby students can just misapply the opportunity given to them through tablets of knowledge has gone because there is a law enacted by the State House of Assembly prohibiting such act and whoever breaches it would face the consequences.

“Therefore, our parents must be properly schooled and enlightened on the good maintenance of this device. They must be guided on its better uses as they are expected to take it as an essential commodity, because it is not for students to keep, they will use it and pass it on to those behind them after graduation.‎”
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:38am On Nov 18, 2015
Osun ​g​overnment to stop full payment of WAEC fees for students

The Osun Government said it could no longer bear the burden of full payment of West Africa Examination Council fees for students in public schools. The Deputy Governor, Titi Laoye-Tomori, said this when the House of Assembly Committee on Education visited her office in Osogbo on Wednesday.

Ms. Laoye-Tomori , who double​s​ as Commissioner for Education, said the state government would pay half of the WAEC fees, while parents would henceforth pay the remaining. She said the state government spent over N500 million as WAEC fees for students per annum, adding that it could no longer bear the cost due to lack of fund. “The state government is yet to complete the payment of 2014 WAEC fees and this is causing delay in the release of the students’ results,’’ she said.

The deputy governor said promotion for teachers would no longer be automatic, but would be based on performance of students in external examinations. She also said that government would make it compulsory for teachers to teach in the rural areas for one year. Ms. Laoye-Tomori added that those who would be teaching in the rural areas would get better pay than those in the urban area.

On tertiary institution​s​, she said it was not true that​ the​ government was planning to merge Colleges of Education and Polytechnics in the state.
The deputy governor, however, said that ​the ​government had put on hold admission into state-owned tertiary institution for the new session.
She said the one-year break was to enable school authorities to improve on their curriculum and programmes.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:40am On Nov 18, 2015
Shymm3x na dem sabi jare.I hope a lot of folks will learn from that

And also not everyone who cosigns,likes and shares your post here got your back.There are snitches everywhere.That's another lesson
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:41am On Nov 18, 2015
--
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:46am On Nov 18, 2015
----
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:47am On Nov 18, 2015
----
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 18, 2015
The title of the thread still remains

"YORUBA COMMONWEALTH AND POLITICS"
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:49am On Nov 18, 2015
I will complete all ongoing school projects in Osun – Aregbesola

Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State has said his administration will ensure completion of all ongoing school projects despite the economic meltdown.

This is contained in a statement by Semiu Okanlawon, his media aide, in Osogbo on Sunday. The statement stated that Mr. Aregbesola said this during his visit to the project sites in the state. It stated that aside the school projects, all other ongoing projects in the state would be completed as scheduled. It directed all the contractors handling the school projects to accelerate the completion of the projects.

According to the statement, it will be unfortunate and regrettable if the contractors handling the school projects failed to complete and handover the schools to the state within the agreed period. It stated that the schools under construction were financed with the Sukuk bond, saying there was no excuse for the contractors not to accelerate the pace of work.

The statement charged the contractors to keep the contractual agreement with the state government by using the recommended materials for the school building project. It noted that government would not shift grounds on the set requirement for the projects.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:50am On Nov 18, 2015
Afenifere leader, Fasoranti, withdraws resignation

Reuben Fasoranti on Wednesday withdrew his resignation letter and rescinded his decision to step down from his leadership position in the socio-political group, Afenifere.

Co-leaders of the Afenifere socio-political group had rejected Mr. Fasoranti’s and convinced him to rescind his decision.
In response to his resignation made public on Sunday, the leaders including the Ondo State Governor, Olusegun Mimiko, convened an emergency meeting at Mr. Fasoranti’s residence in Akure.

Rising from the three-hour meeting, the leaders decided that the resignation would breach the succession order of the group.
The group’s communiqué, which was read by its Spokesperson, Yinka Odumakin, said the meeting appreciated the selfless and dedicated leadership offered by Mr. Fasoranti, but rejected the resignation offer.

“Meeting therefore, unanimously, without any dissension, resolve to reject his offer to step aside as leader and pleaded with him to tarry on and carry on with his great responsibility as leader of Afenifere and to ensure that the orderly succession in Afenifere is not disrupted under him,” the communiqué read. “We are glad to inform you that after listening to the whole meeting, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, our leader, graciously accepted to withdraw his letter of offer of resignation, and to continue his leadership of the group and to see us through the moment ahead in terms of all the plans or reorganization, mobilization, and re-launch of Afenifere in Nigeria, within the Yoruba land and in the Diaspora.” “Meeting observed that Pa Fasoranti took over the leadership of the group in 2004 at a very challenging period of the group and the country and had remained focused in spite of his age.

The Afenifere grouped said Mr. Fasoranti had discharged his leadership duties creditably well and had been a stabilizing force.
“He is a man of candour, of character, he is somebody who has maintained the balance with great wisdom and appreciate him for that,” the group said.“Meeting thanked all Yoruba people and leaders who had expressed concerns in the last 72 hours. We want to assure them that there is no crisis in Afenifere, and that the house of Oduduwa is well and we are forging ahead. “Finally, we resolve to enjoin all our members and supporters to remain fully committed to our core values of enthroning a just and democratic order based on true federalism within the federal republic of Nigeria and autonomy for the Yoruba region, so that life can be more abundant for the Yoruba people.

“We remain committed to these ideals and we are remain committed to it, which is the ideals of our founding fathers, even as we have pledged our full loyalty to our leader to leads us to achieve these set objectives.” Mr. Odumakin hinted that the group might in the future discuss the possibility of having a deputy leader, who could stand in for Mr. Fasoranti in his absence.

Mr. Fasoranti’s resignation came after the group came under heavy criticism for backing President Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election bid.
In his resignation letter, he insisted that the decision of the group to back Mr. Jonathan was not a mistake but a fulfilment of the group’s promise to him if the confab report, the actualisation of the core values of Afenifere, was implemented. He also lamented that the core values and vision of Afenifere had been eroded over time and the group had missed its crucial target of securing true federalism for Nigeria which would guarantee autonomy for the Yoruba people.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:51am On Nov 18, 2015
-----
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:51am On Nov 18, 2015
Tinubu Wins Big At AFRIMA, Honoured As ‘Pillar of Arts And Culture In Africa’ By African Union

Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC and former governor in Lagos State was yesterday honoured by African Union, as the “Pillar of Art and Culture in Africa” at the All Africa Music Awards, AFRIMA 2015.

The event which took place yesterday, Sunday, November 15, 2015 at Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.

Tinubu was former governor of Lagos State in Nigeria (1999-2007). He’s known to have stimulated conversations among Africans and between Africa and the rest of the globe about the potentials and values of the African culture and artistic legacy for the purpose of creating jobs, reducing poverty, inspiring social change and development, calling attention of world leaders to Africa and promoting the positive image of Africa to the world for global competitiveness. A staunch supporter of arts, culture and creative initiatives for social change for decades. He supported “Fela on Broadway” to be staged for the first time in Africa in Lagos in 2011.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:52am On Nov 18, 2015
Ibadan stands still for HID Awolowo

•Ajimobi, Ambode, Aregbesola pay tribute

Thousands of residents in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, trooped out yesterday to honour the late matriarch of the Awolowo dynasty, Mrs. Hannah Idowu Dideolu (HID) Awolowo.

As early as 7:30am, major roads leading to Oke Bola, Oke Ado and Agbeni were shut. Commuters were stranded due to unavailability of commercial vehicles.

At 8:30am, the convoy from Ogun State arrived at the Ibadan Toll Gate, where the body was received by Governor Abiola Ajimobi.

The body arrived at the Awolowo residence in Oke-Bola at 9.15am before it was moved to the Methodist Cathedral Church, Agbeni for a commendation service.

The service was coordinated by the Bishop of Ibadan, the Most Rev. Kehinde Stephen.
Rev Stephen recalled that the last time he had an encounter with Mrs. Awolowo was in February when Nigerian Tribune was launching a new printing machine.

“When she saw me she said His Grace it’s nice to see you again. Why have you abandoned me and do not visit me again? She asked after my children.

“She had a sound retentive memory and she was a fast reader. She was a caring mother who not only nurtured her children to excellence but cared about the welfare of the other people’s children,” he said.

The cleric said the Methodist Church will always respect the Awolowo dynasty for its love for education.

“The Awolowo family promoted quality education and is passionate about the welfare of the masses. Today, the education sector has been neglected by successive governments.

“If we make education a priority, it will save the masses and safeguard the future of our children.”

He appealed to the Awolowo family to sustain the Nigerian Tribune and open a special trust to sustain the newspaper.

Ajimobi said the Yoruba and Nigerians are proud of the late matriarch’s legacies.

“Ibadan is the home of Awolowos and the giants stride recorded by the late sage can be traced to Ibadan. Mama’s diligence and outstanding performance can be seen in the way she administered the Nigerian Tribune. She is remembered for her kind heartedness and her service to humanity.

“Mama was a detribalised Nigerian. Mama had strong discipline, principle and doggedness. She gave many people sound education and we are also making education one of our main priorities. Mama was an epitome of the Yoruba and motherhood,” he said.

The governor urged the family to emulate the matriarch’s exemplary lifestyle.

After the commendation service, the body was moved to the premises of African Newspapers of Nigeria Ltd, publishers of the Nigerian Tribune.

In his tribute, Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola said politicians should learn from the glorious exit and honour received by the late Mrs Awolowo.

“She represented the best in coordinating and supporting for the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awowolo. Any woman who stood with Baba Awolowo should be honoured,” Aregbesola said.

Lagos State Governor Akinwumi Ambode said Nigerians are remembering mama today because she was the spirit behind the vision of the late sage.

He said:” We must continue with that spirit. We should not allow the Awolowo legacy to die because we are yet to achieve the vision of the late sage and we need all the support of womanhood to achieve it.”

The first female judge in Nigeria, Mrs Folake Solanke (SAN), said Mama’s death has been a great experience.

She said: “She was an exemplary wife. She reached an age worthy of celebration and her legacies will continue to live after her.”

The wife of the Oyo State Governor, Mrs. Florence Ajimobi, said:” Mama lived a great life and all women should emulate her virtues. We should be able to stand the test of time.”

The first grandson, Segun Awolowo Jr, said what he would missed about his grandmother was her dependability, stability and ability to hold the family together.

In his vote of thanks, the Managing Director of Nigerian Tribune, Edward Dickson, promised that the firm would continue to sustain the Awolowo legacy and the newspaper.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:52am On Nov 18, 2015
Shymm3x:

Please, ain't no nyggah got time to be scorned by a chic, man.
If she's acting up - you just delete her number and move on.

LIESSSSSSSSSSSS cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:53am On Nov 18, 2015
OBAMA HOSTS NIGERIAN, FOUR OTHER YOUNG LEADERS

United States President, Barack Obama, has honoured a Nigerian, Adepeju Jaiyeoba, and four other young entrepreneurs from around the world at a Global Entrepreneurship event in Washington DC.

The White House, in a statement on its official website, noted that the emerging entrepreneurs from across the US and around the world were brought together to create innovative solutions to some of the world’s toughest challenges, including poverty, climate change, extremism, access to education and health care.

The statement read, “The event comes ahead of Obama’s travel to this summer’s Global Entrepreneurship Summit in Nairobi, Kenya and provides a unique opportunity to galvanise global attention on emerging women and young entrepreneurs.

“Jaiyeoba, who is a Nelson Mandela Washington Fellow for Young African Leaders, founded Mothers Delivery Kits in 2013 after losing a close friend to childbirth to address maternal and child mortality resulting from unhygienic and unsafe deliveries in Nigeria.

“She has been able to collaborate with other entrepreneurs, build employee capacity through YALI courses, and receive seed capital and mentorship from the US African Development Foundation.”

According to the White House, Jaiyeoba has expanded her services to internally displaced victims of Boko Haram.

The grant has also reportedly enabled her company to acquire new machinery, establish a storage facility in northern Nigeria to address transportation challenges, increase its Lagos-based staff, and reach nearly 80 community midwives and health care providers across 23 states in the country.

“The event will recognize the impact made by a number of U.S. government-led initiatives.

“The United States has played a key role in organizing all five previous Global Entrepreneurship Summits, including the inaugural summit in 2010, designed to encourage innovators to choose entrepreneurship as a profession and to empower aspiring entrepreneurs, giving them access to mentors, networks, and capital,” the White House further said.

Among the five entrepreneurs who spoke at the event was Tony Elumelu, Founder of the Tony Elumelu Foundation and former Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the United Bank for Africa.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:53am On Nov 18, 2015
Shymm3x:

Loool.

You mean royal and his fake pics? - bwahahaha

That nyggah ended up in an asylum.

Yes, that's a scorned nyggah - scorned cos sholly was overly chatting to me. grin grin grin grin

I miss Royal so much though. He was funny as heckk. He always made my day.

Gosh I wish he was still on NL grin cheesy grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:54am On Nov 18, 2015
Akiolu slams villagers for killing trade zone MD

The Oba of Lagos, Riliwanu Akiolu, has berated the residents of Ibeju-Lekki for the alleged murder of the Managing Director of the Lekki Worldwide Investment Limited, Alhaji Tajudeen Disu.

Akiolu said this in a tribute he wrote in honour of the deceased.

The monarch, who described Disu as his childhood friend, said the deceased was very passionate about the development of Ibeju-Lekki and other communities hosting the free trade zone.
He said it was unfortunate that the people he laboured for were the ones that took his life.

The tribute read in part, “I had no doubt in my mind that he contributed a lot to the commercial development of Lagos State, particularly the people of Ibeju-Lekki. It is disheartening that the very people who caused his untimely death were the same people that he laboured and sacrificed for in Ibeju-Lekki and Epe.”

Akiolu noted that not all the residents were culpable, but lamented that the bad ones among them had given the entire community a bad name.

He prayed that those behind Disu’s murder be brought to justice.

He added, “He has always been in the vanguard of development and compensation for the people of Ibeju-Lekki and Epe. The bad eggs among them (residents) have now unfairly tainted the innocent ones.

“Most of the deceased’s discussions with me often bordered on his concerns for the welfare and development of the people of Ibeju-Lekki and Epe in general. By the special grace of Allah, the culprits shall be brought to justice to face the consequences of their action, according to the law.”

While eulogising the deceased, Akiolu said he was the one that advised former governors Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and Babatunde Fashola to bring Disu on board.

He said Disu attracted investments to the state, adding that he played a pivotal role in the development of the state.

Akiolu said the Federal Government had been unfair to Lagos for too long. He, therefore, vowed to continue to fight for the rights of the people.

He added, “All the concessions by the Federal Government done in Lagos State shall be revisited as there are some clear discrepancies in the way and manner they were done without putting the interest of the people of Lagos into consideration.

“The people of Lagos should not be taken for granted. By the grace of Allah, I will be in the forefront to request the legitimate rights of my people but no one should take the law into their own hands.”
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 4:55am On Nov 18, 2015
Amosun for Oronna Festival

Ogun State Governor Ibikunle Amosun, lawmakers and businessman Aliko Dangote are among dignitaries expected at the Oronna Ilaro Festival with the theme: “Festival of Achievement”.

The weeklong festival from November 14 to 22 will culminate in a grand finale on November 21 at Asade Agunloye Pavilion, Empire Field, Ilaro- Yewa.

The Chairman of the planning committee, Kayode Odunaro, said the over two decades annual cultural festival was endorsed by the Nigeria Tourism Development Corporation (NTDC) in 2012.

“It is celebrated in honour of the legendary warrior, Oronna, and a unifying developmental platform for the display of cultural practices of Ilaro and Yewa people.

Highlights of the festival include road show/street carnival, tributes to Oronna and other deities, Egungun and Gelede Masquerade display, Sisi Ilaro cultural beauty pageant, Poosu Night in celebration of food tourism and the all-white attire Onigba Aje ceremony.

Others are a three day medical checkup programme, Festival 50 Kilometer race, jumat and thanksgiving service as well as the grand finale where over 70 clubs and societies will pay homage to the Olu of Ilaro, Oba Kehinde Olugbenle.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:56am On Nov 18, 2015
Shymm3x:

Read the ones people quoted and you them as follow throw to what the whole madness was about.

TBH I'm bored with the whole gist.

So shymmex, tell us, what do you do for a living?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:58am On Nov 18, 2015
--------
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:59am On Nov 18, 2015
[size=13pt]Osun resumes distribution of Opon Imo in schools[/size]

The Governor of Osun, Rauf Aregbesola, on Friday said his administration would not be deterred in its resolve to take education in the state to greater height.

The governor stated this ‎in Ede during the second phase of the flag-off and distribution of tablets of knowledge across public secondary schools in the state.

Mr. ‎Aregbesola, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Lawrence Oyeniran, described the intervention of the E-stand-alone tablet of knowledge as a fundamental breakthrough in education in the state.‎

He said “Opon Imo” is a serious achievement by his administration in education intervention and innovation that has received various commendations globally.

The governor said his government came up with this innovation to ensure better improvement in both internal and external examinations which he said had suffered serious setback before his assumption of office.

Mr. Aregbesola disclosed that the distribution of the computer device would cut across SSS 3 students in all public schools in the state.

“We are here at Adventist High School, Ede, to kick off the distribution of Tablets of Knowledge known as “Opon Imo” to all the high school students across the state of Osun.

“The tablets of knowledge which is acknowledged both nationally and internationally is a tablet that makes teaching and learning easier in our state.

“We request our students to make good and judicious use of it because it is a great opportunity for them to have a computer based tablets of knowledge to assist their learning technique.

“Aside from that, both principal and subject teachers should be enjoined to ensure that they give the desired guidance to the students on the proper use of Opon Imo in the sense that whoever for any reason among the beneficiaries (students) misapply its uses, it will attract N50,000 fine and this is backed up by legislation of the Osun State House of Assembly.
“The distribution will go round the entire three senatorial districts of Osun State,” he said.
Commenting on why the first distributed Tablets of Knowledge were retrieved from the students, he said it was done to upgrade, repackage and give those students promoted to SSS 3 class the equal opportunity to use the e-learning device.

“After a session, we retrieved those materials for upgrading, repackaging and repair because it was obvious that some of these materials might have been damaged by the beneficiaries since they are not meant for keep by the students.

“In as much as it is a tablet that is meant for generation yet unborn, there is need for both government and the students to see it as a valuable assets needed to be carefully preserved and protected.

“Its use is mainly for students who are successfully promoted to SSS 3 class and these electronic device would be used for West African Senior School Certificate Examination(WASSCE), National Examination Council Examination (NECO), and Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).”

On the significant impact of Opon Imo since its introduction, Governor Aregbesola said since the advent of the electronic gadgets, the performance of students across the state had tremendously improved in terms of results and academic prizes.

He said, “When you look at the status of our education in terms of our students WAEC results, academic accolades and performances in the past before the advent of ‘Opon Imo’ by juxtaposing it with the current situation in the education sector, there is no doubt in the fact that we have improved geometrically and purposefully.

“Our landmark achievements in education has been manifested in the quality of public school products.

“Spontaneous development has been recorded since the intervention of this technological initiative of our administration as our students results have improved through the academic tools being given to them, while their performances have been on the increase.”

He charged the school principals of all the public schools in the state to convene meetings and interactive sections with parents on the need to assist their wards to properly protect and preserve the device given to them.

Mr. Aregbesola added, “There is need for parents of our students to be properly oriented and enlightened on the carefully use of the Opon Imo because some students are very careless to the extent that they may misapply or misuse the device outside what it was meant for.

“The era whereby students can just misapply the opportunity given to them through tablets of knowledge has gone because there is a law enacted by the State House of Assembly prohibiting such act and whoever breaches it would face the consequences.

“Therefore, our parents must be properly schooled and enlightened on the good maintenance of this device. They must be guided on its better uses as they are expected to take it as an essential commodity, because it is not for students to keep, they will use it and pass it on to those behind them after graduation.‎”
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:02am On Nov 18, 2015
~
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 5:10am On Nov 18, 2015
Modern abattoir: Oyo set to boost health, economy

After years of construction and perfecting administrative procedures, the Oyo State Government is set to inaugurate a multi-billion naira abattoir, which is the largest in Nigeria. BISI OLADELE writes that the project, will bring about world-class meat processing standard and transform the city’s economy.

Along Ibadan-Oyo Expressway in Akinyele Local Government Area of Oyo State is the sprawling Ibadan Central Abattoir. It holds the key to hygienically produced meat, job opportunities, revenue generation for the government as well as protection of public interest.

In its resolve to build a model abattoir that meets the standard set by the World Health Organisation (WHO), the government spent N4 billion on the project which sits on a 10-hectare land. Construction of the state-of-the-art abattoir lasted for about one year.

The abattoir is, perhaps, the largest in West Africa.

By the time Governor Abiola Ajimobi inaugurates the project for operation by the end of the year, meat processing will have stepped up to the standard of the World Health Organisation (WHO). No fewer than 200 traders, including meat retailers and those trading in ancillary products and services, are expected to be employed. More traders will also access shops at the market complex and the in-built motor park; thereby injecting life into the small community.

With a police station, clinic, commercial bank and other social services incorporated in the abattoir complex, Ajimobi’s name will go down in the history of Oyo State as a governor whose tenure witnessed massive economic rebound and urban renewal. When fully operational, the abattoir will create an economic cluster and mini-town with potential for growth and development based in meat and allied products from the slaughtering and processing centre.

The project

The Ibadan Central Abattoir is a Private-Public-Partnership (PPP) project undertaken by C & E Limited, a local construction company that specialises in PPP ventures. The abattoir project was conceived and initiated in 2009 during the tenure of former governor, Adebayo Alao-Akala. It was conceived as a Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) project for 30 years.

His successor, Abiola Ajimobi, continued with the arrangement though with a minor amendment in the shareholding and tenure structure. Currently, the tenure stands at 25 years with the government earning 30 per cent of the abattoir’s total annual revenue.

The abattoir offers both modern and traditional slaughtering methods, rapid turn-around time and excellent hygienic conditions as against the current informal structure that leaves room for unhygienic slaughtering and meat distribution processes.

The project has the capacity for 1,000 heads of animals (cow, sheep/goats and pigs) per day and is expandable to 5,000 heads per day with excellent ancillary facilities.

Manual slaughter slabs

The abattoir has two manual slaughter slabs with average area of 1500 m2 each and well furnished to accommodate over 200 butchers slaughtering cows, pigs, goats and sheep simultaneously.

Mechanical slaughter slab

The abattoir boasts of the mechanical slaughter slab, which is in use in all developed countries. It has the capacity to slaughter 500 cows per day, which is expandable to 2,000 per day.

Lairage

The lairage comprises the Veterinary Doctors’ Office, Health Officers’ Office, Modern Laboratory and three concrete-paved holding pens for animals before slaughtering. The holding pens are approximately 12, 000 m2 in size. Arrangement for offices for veterinary doctors and health officers makes the environment conducive to the discharge of their duties. Since animals are brought into the abattoir in large quantity, the doctors and health officers will find it more convenient to offer services in a centralised place; thereby ensuring that all animals pass health test before they are slaughtered and passed on to the public for consumption. Their services will also be enhanced with the provision of the modern laboratory.

The holding pens offer a comfortable place for the animals to stay for a minimum of 24 hours before they are slaughtered. This enables the animals to be stable after a long journey from the northern part of the country before they are slaughtered. The pen for the cattle is different from the sheep’s and pigs’.

Security and storage

The abattoir has two large cold rooms with 24-hour electricity supply and a modern red brick incinerator. It also has three gate houses and a police station for security purposes.

Administration/hospitality

Within the large complex is an administrative block, which comprises offices for members of staff of the firm and related workers. The block also houses Butchers Cooperative Building, a commercial bank, a canteen and a clinic to cater for ailing butchers, staff and customers.

Market and shops

There are currently 224 shops for grabs by meat sellers and other traders in the abattoir.

External services

IMG_1402The abattoir contains five conveniences, good road network with asphaltic pavement and concrete drains as well as external electrification, including solar-powered street lights.

As part of the agreement reached by the government and the firm, all other abattoirs in the 11 local government areas in Ibadan are to move to the central abattoir to ensure slaughtering of animals in a hygienic manner. The idea is to guarantee standardisation of the meat being processed in the city for the health of consumers.

Other smaller informal abattoirs in the city have already been declared illegal by the government; with the expectation that butchers will move to the central abattoir to begin operation before the end of the year.

Representatives of government and the firm have held series of meeting with the butchers’ association in a bid to educate them on the importance and gains of the central abattoir to their businesses and the health of members of the public. The association, in a December 10, 2014 letter to Ajimobi, also expressed their preparedness to move to the new abattoir.

Government has also written to all other abattoirs in the city to move to the modern abattoir for further activities.

When the government finally enforces the order by December, activities in the central abattoir will be in full swing, bringing fulfilment to all stakeholders, including residents in the community.

It is estimated that the project will generate about 2,000 jobs with coordinated revenue to the government and protection of the health of the public.

Much more than the government and members of the public, veterinary doctors practising in the state are very excited at the project.

Speaking about the abattoir, the Chairman of the Oyo State branch of the Association of Veterinary Doctors, Dr Musbau Ibrahim, said the association would be the happiest to witness its inauguration.

According to him, the association had been in the forefront of agitation for a modern abattoir, given the dangers inherent in informal abattoirs which he described as unfit.

Dr Ibrahim said a modern abattoir is central to the health of the public, given the fact that Nigerians consume much meat.

He explained that the new project will ensure that all necessary ante-mortem and post-mortem tests are conducted on all the animals before they are passed onto the public for consumption.

He added that the central abattoir would also ensure the welfare of animals; from where they are purchased to where they are slaughtered.

“The animals are properly checked to ensure wholesome meat is delivered to the populace, thereby reducing diseases such as tuberculosis, brucellosis and anthrax that could be contracted from eating meat,” he said.

The veterinarian also expressed hope that meat can be exported from the abattoir if properly managed, adding that it will also help the disease reporting system in the country.

He added: “We have met with butchers to educate them on the need to run a proper abattoir.”

He said the association was willing to partner with the government on the project for the health of the public.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:11am On Nov 18, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:11am On Nov 18, 2015
Shymm3x:

I smoke weed all day like a Jamaican and sign on. grin grin

Gross.

<Wow, I'm officially a nerd>
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 5:12am On Nov 18, 2015
Firm to provide solution to electricity in Oyo

A firm, Bolamark Engineering Limited, a partner with Schneider Electricity Nigeria Limited, has inaugurated a branch of his office in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital with the aim of providing ultimate solutions to electrical problems in the state.

In his remarks at the launching of the branch office at Joyce B junction, Ring-Road, Ibadan, the Managing Director of the firm, Alhaji Bola Azeez, said the distribution of quality electricity materials will improve power distribution in the state.

“We have workforce made up of Electrical Engineers, Technicians, Administrative and Support Staff in various Engineering field, and we are a leader in the area of installation, servicing, repairing, maintaining, and commissioning of electrical systems.

“Why we keep having electricity problem in this country is due to selling of fake products, but we are here to curb that now.

He said: “We will be selling quality transformer to power generating companies and the Licenced Electrical Contractor Association of Nigeria (LECAN), will also be used to market our products.”

Similarly, the Country President of Schneider Electric Nigeria Limited, Mr Walid Sheta said they are global specialist for energy provision and aim to provide safer electricity for the people of Oyo State and Nigeria.

The Aseyin of Iseyin, Oba Abdul-Ganiyu Adekunle Ologun Ebi Ajinose I and former deputy governor in the state, Barr. Iyiola Oladokun thanked the firm for opening their branch in Ibadan, promising to give their unalloyed support.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 5:15am On Nov 18, 2015
The high schools of Aregbesola’s dream

Despite dwindling revenue, Governor Rauf Aregbesola is determined to make Osun State the home of new generation school structures that will change the face of public education institutions, writes Assistant Editor SEUN AKIOYE

It was an unusual Saturday for Osun State Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola. At a time his aides had concluded the weekend was free for their boss, a relief from the usual events-soaked weekends of the Governor, Aregbesola jumped out of his house and hopped into a privately-marked car. He was accompanied by a close aide and a police orderly. He drove out of Government House.

In less than 10 minutes, Aregbesola had arrived at the premises of the Osogbo Grammar School, on Iwo-Osogbo Road and made straight for the magnificent structure that is the new face of that school. It is one of the 20 ambitious modern high schools being constructed across the state by his administration.

The Saturday’s round of visit was about the 7th to that school in the last one month. Obviously, it was an unscheduled one which caught the site engineers and other workers unaware. As he moved from one section of the massive project to another, he closely examined the components and structures of the new building.

The governor began to take notes as he moved from one end of the site to the other. As an Engineer, he knows what to look for in an ongoing project to ensure that the end-product satisfies the standards and specifications prescribed in the contract papers.

Where he got satisfaction, you saw refreshing smiles on his face and a nod as he went on. Where the quality of the job fell short of his expectation, you would see the frowns. “I won’t compromise on the standard that we know is good for our school children,” he muttered as he went along in his inspection.

Done with Osogbo Grammar School, Aregbesola made for the Ataoja School of Science, another sight to behold at the busy Gbongan/Osogbo Road. From one classroom to another, he repeated the same process at the Osogbo Grammar School, taking notes, approving of works meeting specifications and noting areas that need to be adjusted.

From Osogbo, the Governor drove to Ejigbo, in Ejigbo Local Government Area. This is the site of the first completed High School in the state. The school, a three-in-one 3,000 student’s capacity, had actually been completed last year and was scheduled for inauguration.

But then, tragedy struck! A seemingly mysterious rainstorm brought down the roof of the hall located within the school premises. The contractors went back to work to give back a befitting hall for the school.

Last week, Aregbesola was in Ilesa where he inspected a similar project. However, what he met at the project site was not satisfactory, prompting the governor to send very strong signal to the contractor that he would not tolerate any slip-shod handling of the school projects.

Engineer Gboyega Adeeyo, an expert with international experience said of the ongoing projects in Osun: “What is going on now is a product of long time thinking.”

He said Aregbesola had long before he became the Governor of Osun State, seen drawings of some foreign school projects he had been involved in on his computer.

“This Governor saw a drawing on my own computer long time ago and he said how some people can go to schools like this and our people cannot. We must not give up until we give our own people things like these. He was not governor then. When he became the governor, he called me and said ‘those drawings I saw on your computer that time, bring them.’ That was how the idea of these mega schools began,” he said.

A high school housing 3,000 pupils will have three schools in one location. While the United Nations international best practices states that a high school cannot accommodate more than 1,000 pupils, the idea of three schools in one with different principals make sharing of facilities possible.

“We can combine three schools in one with different principals. Each of the principals runs his school purely on the academic front. The management of the school becomes the responsibility of a facility manager,” said Adeeyo.

The novel idea of having schools to be managed not by academic personnel such as the Principal or the Vice-Principals but by professionally qualified facility managers has the capacity to change the face of running schools in Nigeria. Over the decades, schools had run down to dilapidated structures simply because there were little or no attention paid to maintenance.

“Who cares for replacement of the electricity bulbs? Who ensures that water taps run? Who ensures security of the students, personnel and facilities installed in the schools for the convenience of the pupils? Who cares if the paints are fading? Who maintains the electronic boards? These are too much for the Principal of any school whose main job should be the delivery of perfect and functional learning processes,” said Semiu Okanlawon, Director, Bureau of Communication and Strategy in the Office of the Governor.

Okanlawon said those concerns brought about the well-thought out innovation of facility managers for the schools to ensure that these would not be projects run down in no time as usual with many of the publicly-owned facilities in this part of the world.

“The idea of shared facilities such as the laboratories came because if you look at it well, all the three schools won’t be having laboratory works at the same time. So, when a school is through with the laboratory, it will be the turn of another. With that, you can maximise facilities and still have the quality learning in an environment conducive to teaching and learning that we desire for our people,” Adeeyo added.

Of the 20 high schools that Aregbesola has tasked his administration with producing for Osun, 11 are currently at different stages of completion. Next week, the governor will also inaugurate the Ejigbo edifice which Okanlawon described as a “dream come to reality.”

He gave the example of what is now the Salvation Army Government Middle School, Osogbo which had not become decrepit, but was a big hideout for hoodlums who used the school along the popular Alekuwodo area of Osogbo as centre for hatching their criminal activities.

“There is a new lease of life,” said Alhaji Waheed Bakare, a human rights activist. “The emergence of these schools alone has changed the colour of the environment and it is gratifying that there are more to be established,” he said.

(1) (2) (3) ... (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.