Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (667351 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 25, 2015
[quote author=hinohsend post=39345939][/quote]

I was about to say that.what's happening to Ibos shouldn't be our concern.Na dem sabi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
[size=14pt]Seyi Rhodes[/size]

Rhodes was born in London in 1979 and spent part of his childhood in Nigeria. Seyi Rhodes (born 1979) is a British television presenter and investigative journalist of Nigerian descent. He has worked for the BBC, Channel 4 Television, Five Television and Current TV. From 2008, he has been the in-vision presenter and reporter for Channel 4's Unreported World documentary series, produced by Quicksilver Media.

Rhodes was educated at Monkton Combe School, a boarding independent school in the village of Monkton Combe near Bath in Somerset in South West England, between the years 1991 and 1996, boarding at Farm House. He says: "I have to say I have very fond memories of my time at the school.... During the time I spent there, I felt safe and secure, which for me was really important".[1] After Monkton Combe School, Rhodes went to the University of the West of England in the city of Bristol, also in South West England, where he studied Politics and Sociology.

After boarding school and university, Rhodes joined the BBC as a researcher, and in 2001 joined Channel 4 to work on the Dispatches programme. He says: "I had always wanted to go into television journalism, right from the time I saw, as a small boy, Kate Adie reporting from Tiananmen Square in 1989." In 2003, he joined The Wright Stuff talk show on Channel Five Television, taking over as presenter of the "Man with the Mic" section from Matt Rudge, and became its second-longest-running presenter before he left in 2005. Rhodes has presented BBC Two's Explore series and reported for ITN's More 4 News, as well as working behind the camera on documentaries for Channel 4 Television's documentary series Dispatches, and both behind and in front of the camera on the long-running BBC One documentary series Panorama. He has also worked on domestic and international stories for Current TV, and since 2008 has been a regular presenter of Channel 4 Television's Unreported World documentary series.

Rhodes has returned to the region where he spent part of his childhood to produce documentaries for Channel 4 and Current TV, which include programmes about slavery in Senegal and religious and homophobic violence in Nigeria.

Documentary list
Unreported World (Channel 4 Television)

"Making Brazil Beautiful" (2013)
"Congo: Magic, Gangs & Wrestlers" (2012)
"Trinidad: Guns, Drugs and Secrets" (2011)
"Nigeria's Millionaire Preachers" (2011)
"Inside the Battle for Ivory Coast" (2011)
"India's Leprosy Heroes" (2011)
"Bolivia's Child Miners" (2010)
"Senegal: School for Beggars" (2010)
"Witches on Trial" (2010)
"Guatemala: Riding with the Devil" (2009)
"Sierra Leone: The Insanity of War" (2009)
"Thailand: Lessons in Terror" (2008)
Explore (BBC Two)

"Sex and Religion in Manila" (2009)
"Manila to Mindanao: Bajau people of Palawan" (2009)
Panorama (BBC One)

Awards
In 2009, Rhodes' Unreported World report "Sierra Leone: The Insanity of War" won a MIND Mental Health Media Award for best short documentary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 2:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
[quote author=hinohsend post=39345939][/quote]

Aright wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
CELEBRATING TOURISM IN SOUTHWEST NIGERIA

Ikogosi Warm Springs, Ekiti

Ikogosi warm springs resort Limited is a world class resort located within the South Western part of Nigeria, the only tourist attraction with a warm and cold spring. Nature's gift to mankind.
Ikogosi warm springs, tucked away in the rustic and serene town of Ikogosi-Ekiti, is one of the tourist attractions that this country could be proud of because of the history and myth behind the attraction.

[img]http://eafrique.tv/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ikogo2.jpg[/img]

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
Abiola Olaniran

Founder, Gamsole

Olaniran, 26, is the founder and CEO of Nigerian gaming company Gamsole. Olaniran founded the company in 2012, and it has venture backing from 88mph, a Kenyan seed fund. The company’s games now have more than 9 million downloads.

[b]A Nigerian mobile game developer, Gamsole, is setting a high standard for future African gaming companies. Six months after its induction, in 2012, and under the leadership of CEO Abiola Elijah Olaniran, the company had already amassed an impressive player base of three million.
"Different markets require different strategies, and as such it does not make sense to import Silicon Valley or Wall Street wisdom wholesale when doing business in emerging African or Asian markets," said Abiola Elijah Olaniran, CEO of Gamsole.

“Different markets require different strategies, and as such it does not make sense to import Silicon Valley or Wall Street wisdom wholesale when doing business in emerging African or Asian markets,” said Abiola Elijah Olaniran, CEO of Gamsole.

Gamsole develops a wide array of entertaining and educational games for Windows Phone and Windows 8, usually around an African theme. In 2014 it was one of five companies to receive a grant from the Microsoft 4Afrika Initiative, and the company is growing quickly. Today over 10 million Gamesole games have already been downloaded.

Olaniran spoke to How we made it in Africa about his journey as a software developer, the primary ingredient for his success, and his entrepreneurial advice for others.

What was the inspiration behind starting Gamsole?

This may sound like your cliché software developer, tech junkie story, but I actually started game development out of curiosity. I say this because my journey into technology only started because I was curious about it. I grew up in Lagos surrounded by all this technology and gadgets, things I kept trying to make sense of. I think my foray into software really started when I began visiting Microsoft for technical insight.

I got involved with Microsoft when a couple of technology evangelists from the company came to my university, and the interactions with them led me to take technology and software programming seriously. In fact to the point that I would go on to represent Nigeria at the Microsoft Imagine Cup in 2010. I participated in and won more competitions after that, but by 2012 I had focused on carving a niche in game development, and the only logical thing to do was to found a gaming company. Thus, Gamsole was born.

How did you finance your start-up? How did you turn your idea into a reality?

After validating my idea by winning the Samsung developer challenge, also in 2010, I decided to focus on developing games for different app stores. During that time, I got the idea to join the 88mph accelerator programme, which provided the seed investment for Gamsole.

What was the tipping point for your company and why do you think it has been this successful?

I think the primary ingredient of our success was having strategic advisers very early on in the company which helped us understand the need for monetisation for each game we developed. We quickly became a sustainable venture, and are now profitable.

Of the games you have developed, which ones have been particularly popular? And why do you think that is?

On average, all our games have similar amounts of attention and downloads, and I believe that’s because we decided to focus on a new, emerging and under-served market at the early stage of the Windows Phone platform’s introduction.

Your most effective marketing tactic so far?

To be honest, we do little to no marketing. Our downloads are mostly as a result of deep platform penetration. Regions where the Windows Phone platform is popular tend to reward us very well.

Drawing from your experience, what steps do you think African companies can take to become global players?

There are a number of local problems that can unlock tremendous value for the ones who solve them, so not every company needs to do this. However, if a start-up happens [to produce] a product whose relevance transcends borders, then they must turn their attention to quality, and work to ensure their offering can at the very least stand toe-to-toe with comparative propositions across the globe.

What is the one thing you wish you knew about entrepreneurship before you got started?

Different markets require different strategies, and as such it does not make sense to import Silicon Valley or Wall Street wisdom wholesale when doing business in emerging African or Asian markets. Entrepreneurial principles are universal, but they need to be utilised in context. I’m glad I learnt that lesson early in my journey.

If you had one piece of advice for entrepreneurs just starting out in Nigeria, what would it be?

Figure out how you’re going to make money from the business before you get started. Even if it requires a bit of runway to achieve profit, ensure there is a viable revenue model underpinning the venture. It is business after all.[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
Bankole Cardoso

Co-founder, Easy Taxi Nigeria

Cardoso was the founding chief executive of online taxi hailing app, Easy Taxi Nigeria, a Rocket Internet-backed startup. While still affiliated with Easy Taxi, he is moving on to new projects. Easy Taxi, under Cardoso’s watch, grew to be one of the most used taxi hailing apps in Lagos and Abuja. It has been a tough year for Cardoso. His mother, Stella Ameyo Adadevoh, died of Ebola this year. Adadevoh was one of the doctors in Nigeria who helped treat the disease.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 25, 2015
[size=14pt]Rakie Ayola[/size]

Rakie Olufunmilayo Ayola (born May 1968) is a Welsh actress, best known for her role as Kyla Tyson in the BBC medical drama Holby City. She first rose to prominence in the lead role of the 1993 Jeanette Winterson screenplay Great Moments in Aviation. Ayola has worked in theatre, film and television, appearing in a number of Shakespearean theatrical performances, Hollywood films The i Inside and Sahara, and British television shows including Soldier Soldier, EastEnders, Sea of Souls and Doctor Who. She appeared in Holby City from its eighth to eleventh series, from 2006 to 2008, and in 2009 starred in the CBBC musical comedy My Almost Famous Family.

Ayola is an advocate of increased ethnic representation in the entertainment industry, and in 2001 founded her own production company, producing the short film Persephone's Playground for the Cannes film festival in order to further her campaign. In 2006, Ayola was shortlisted for the 'Female Performance in TV' award in the Screen Nation Awards, receiving Honourable Mention in the same category in 2007, and a further shortlisted nomination in 2008. She is married to fellow actor Adam Smethurst, with whom she has two daughters.

Ayola was born in Cardiff, Wales in May 1968, to a Sierra Leonean mother and a Nigerian father. She was raised by her mother's cousin and his wife in Ely, Cardiff. Ayola's heritage means she is Yoruba by descent, although she does not speak the language. Ayola studied at Windsor Clive Primary and Glan Ely High School, and was a member of the Orbit Youth Theatre, South Glamorgan Youth Theatre, South Glamorgan Youth Choir and the National Youth Theatre of Wales. She left high school before sitting her A Levels in order to pursue her ambition of becoming an actress. She explains: "I've always wanted to act. I decided at 16 I wanted to make my living acting, but even if I couldn't, I’d be in an amateur theatre company." She then went on to attend the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, studying for a three-year acting diploma. Her first acting role was for the Welsh Eisteddfod when still at primary school, playing a lady-in-waiting at the court of King Arthur.Ayola has stated that it was Barbra Streisand's performance in Hello, Dolly! that inspired her to act as a child, though credits her adoptive mother with encouraging her to act professionally. Ayola's first job was selling jeans on Bessemer Road Market in Cardiff. She worked as a chambermaid whilst attending drama school, and, six weeks prior to graduation, was offered a job with the 'Made in Wales' theatre company which enabled her to obtain her union card.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 25, 2015
[size=14pt]Wunmi Mosaku[/size]

[img]http://static.cinemagia.ro/img/resize/db/actor/20/11/75/wunmi-mosaku-280820l-poza.jpg[/img]

Mosaku was born in Zaria, Nigeria, and subsequently emigrated to Manchester, England, where she attended Trinity Church of England High School and Xaverian Sixth Form College. She also sang for eleven years in the Manchester Girls Choir. Wunmi Mosaku (born 31 July 1986) is a Nigerian-born British actress, best known for her role as Joy in the 2009 BBC Two miniseries Moses Jones, for which she was awarded "Best Actress in a Miniseries" at the Roma Fiction Festival.

Mosaku graduated from RADA in 2007 and made her stage debut at the Arcola Theatre in a production of Pedro Calderón de la Barca's The Great Theatre of the World. Since then she has also appeared in Rough Crossings, directed by Rupert Goold and based on the book by Simon Schama, at the Lyric Hammersmith; The Vertical Hour by David Hare and Truth and Reconciliation, both at the Royal Court Theatre and Mules at the Young Vic. In 2009 she appeared in Katrina a verbatim play which told six people's stories of their struggles of survival when Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans August 2005. Mosaku was originally cast as Sophie in the UK premiere of Ruined by Lynn Nottage at the Almeida Theatre but had to pull out due to an injury.

In 2008, she appeared in the first of the UNDEREXPOSED exhibitions at the National Portrait Gallery designed to raise the profile of black role models and celebrates the talent that exists among the Black British community. Her photo also appeared on Commercial Way, Peckham, London, as part of the exhibition.

She featured on the front cover of Screen International magazine June–July 2009 as one of the UK Stars of Tomorrow, and in 2011 was featured in Nylon Magazine's 2011 Young Hollywood issue.

In 2010 Wunmi Mosaku was named one of The Seven Fresh Faces of Toronto International Film Festival, for I Am Slave, in which she starred. She plays Malia, a girl who has been kidnapped from her village in Sudan, and sold into slavery. For her performance Mosaku won awards such as Best Actress at the Birmingham Black Film Festival, Best Onscreen performance at the Cultural Diversity Awards and Best Female performance at the Screen Nation Awards.

When asked to list her personal heroes, Mosaku included her grandmother Anike Adisa, whom she described as having "taught me so many lessons", actor Albert Finney who Mosaku said was her inspiration for attending the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, her colleague and former instructor at RADA, William Gaskill, Paul Newman who she stated she admired not just for his acting but also for his philanthropic efforts with Newman's Own, and Oprah Winfrey who Mosaku said she considers "a superwoman

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

True words man.Make everybody dey go him papa house,we can't be a race without a sovereign nation

True.

I just think, rather than shout anti-Biafra and tour one Nigeria, we should reflect if the one Nigeria is indeed worth it?

We should put the effort of shooting down Biafra into starting a cause to benefit the entire Yoruba. Our kith and kin in Kogi ans Kwara are being forced into the North and we are seated here chanting sophisticated and how we are leading this and that.

I've come to realize, Yoruba collectively stands for nothing in the Nigerian project other than what political parties have to offer. Loyalty to political parties is stronger than that of the ethnic group which is not so with the North.

Yoruba, Ro'nu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
Eunice Olumide

Eunice Olumide (born 6 October 1987) is a Scottish model, fashion designer, actress and presenter. She is one of the first black Scottish models and was twice nominated for Model of the Year at the Scottish Fashion Awards, sponsored by Vogue.com.

Olumide was born in Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, and grew up in Wester Hailes and The Calders in Edinburgh. She gained an grade A in English, Chemistry, Graphic Design and Art at school. Her name "Olumide" means "God has come" or "My Hero has come" in the Yoruba language

She achieved a first-class honours degree in BA Communication and Mass Media[3] at Glasgow Caledonian University. By the age of 21, she had a postgraduate degree in Film Studies at Queen Mary University of London, and a MA in Metaphysics, after getting a scholarship to study at the University of Pennsylvania.

At the age of 15, Olumide was first spotted shopping in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, and she was later scouted by Select models while visiting family in London. At the time she knew nothing about the fashion industry and described herself as a 'complete tomboy'. She took a break from modelling to go to university. Since then she has been working full-time as a broadcaster, fashion model and actress, and is signed with Colours Agency, Ford and AMQ. Over the years she has also been with Premier, KOKO, Nemesis, Mega, La Agenica, The Model Team, and IMM Düsseldorf.

Olumide, who is often known as Cece-E-town, is 5 feet 9 inches tall, with black hair, brown eyes, dress size six, with measurements of 28D"-24"-33". She has featured on runways, fashion weeks and high profile shoots in Japan, Paris, Milan, Barcelona, Poland, Germany, UAE, USA, Africa and the UK.

Olumide has appeared in Dazed & Confused, London Fashion Week Daily, Dansk, Tank, I.D., Luire Magazine Japan, New York, Bahrain Confidential, WAD Magazine,[1] Retro, InStyle, Impulse, Vogue and Capital Ace Factory magazine.

She has worked with Gok Wan, Myleen Klass, Gio Pomodoro, NKWO, JJ Noki, and designers including Swarovski, Christopher Kane, Jil Sander, Henry Holland, Jacob Kimmie, Jacob Birge,[10] Vivien Westwood. Olumide has modelled for various fashion brands including Top Shop, Mulberry, Bunmi Koko, New Look and Harris Tweed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 25, 2015
Nina Sosanya

Nina Sosanya (born 1969) is a stage, television, and film actress. She was born in London, with a Nigerian father, and trained at the Northern School of Contemporary Dance, gaining A-Levels in performing arts.

She has appeared in many roles in the theatre, on television and in films, for example in Sorted, People Like Us, Teachers, Love Actually, Nathan Barley, Renaissance, Casanova, as Karen Blaine in the Jonathan Creek episode "The Three Gamblers", Much Ado About Nothing, Cape Wrath/Meadowlands, the Doctor Who episode "Fear Her", and FM.

In 2003, she played Rosalind in As You Like It with the Royal Shakespeare Company ("RSC"wink at the Swan Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon; in 2008 she returned to the RSC to play Rosaline in Love's Labour's Lost and in 2009 appeared in a radio adaptation of a story from the short story collection The State of the Art.

She reads the part of Sephy on the audio book versions of Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses series.

In January 2010, Nina appeared as Mae Pollock in Tennessee Williams' play Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, at the Novello Theatre, London.

She appeared as Colly Trent in series 2 of the BBC television drama, Five Days. Most recently, she appeared in the BBC4 television series Twenty Twelve, a comedy about the London 2012 Olympic buildup, and the BBC1 drama series Silk and Hustle. She also made a brief appearance in the children's CBBC science fiction series, Wizards vs Aliens as Benny Sherwood's mother, Trisha.

Sosanya played the character Alibe Silver in Treasure Island (2012). She has played a main character, Kate McKenzie, in series one through three of the BBC original drama Last Tango in Halifax during 2012-2015, and a main character, Lucy Freeman, in the TV series W1A in 2014. In 2015, she starred with Catherine Tate and Mark Gatiss in a new play, The Vote, in the run-up to the UK 2015 General Election.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 25, 2015
What's all these spambot nonsense.My aareonakakanfo moniker has been banned,I had to create a new acoount

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2015
9jacrip:

True.

I just think, rather than shout anti-Biafra and tour one Nigeria, we should reflect if the one Nigeria is indeed worth it?

We should put the effort of shooting down Biafra into starting a cause to benefit the entire Yoruba. Our kith and kin in Kogi ans Kwara are being forced into the North and we are seated here chanting sophisticated and how we are leading this and that.

I've come to realize, Yoruba collectively stands for nothing in the Nigerian project other than what political parties have to offer. Loyalty to political parties is stronger than that of the ethnic group which is not so with the North.

Yoruba, Ro'nu.

I dunno, but I think we as Yorubas are just too blessed and too talented to allow a country like Nigeria hold us down.

That's basically why I'm not a fan of Nigeria. Every time I just think about how great a Yoruba country would be, and then look at Nigeria - I just shake my head in disgust, really.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2015
9jacrip:

True.

Yoruba, Ro'nu.

I've been screaming this since God knows when but whenever we say it, "One Nigeria" evangelists will say we're being divisive.I wonder why a population of 35 million is not a Country on its own,I'm ttired mehn

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
OAM4J and Afam4eva abeg unban my aareonakakanfo account.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
Adelayo Adedayo

Adelayo Adedayo is a British actress. Her first TV appearance was in The Bill (2007) and she made her film debut in Sket (2011). She currently stars as the main character, Viva Bennett, in Some Girls, which airs on BBC Three. She also appeared in Law & Order: UK and M.I. High.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 3:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
Truth be told, this one Nigeriya(ri iya indeed) is not working. We are not enjoying the damn marriage, we are only enduring it.

We would have become developed than where we are now if we were not lumped together with some azzholes in the same country.

That is why I support the Biafrans in their agitation. Apart from the hate speeches, Nnamdi Kanu is doing a good job. How I wish Aremo Odua could also start something like Radio Biafra(Radio Oodua) in London. Our people need to wake up, we really need to wake up and smell the coffee. We are being held down, we deserve better than what we have presently.

We shall get there. I believe.

God Bless Us All.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 25, 2015
Bola Agbaje

Bola Agbaje (born c. 1981) is an award-winning British playwright of Nigerian origin, who is under commission with Paines Plough and Tiata Fahodzi. Agbaje was born in London. She briefly lived in Nigeria from the age of six to eight but now lives in Greenwich. She has a degree in media communications and was formerly an actress.

Her first play, Gone Too Far!, premièred at the Royal Court Theatre in London in February 2007 and won the Laurence Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in an Affiliated Theatre (2008). Due to the play's success it was revived at a number of theatres in 2008: the Royal Court Theatre, Albany Theatre and Hackney Empire. She adapted Gone too Far into a film script with development funding from the UK Film Council for a film of the same title.

In July 2008 her second play opened the Tiata Delights season at the Almeida Theatre. She was nominated for the 2008 Evening Standard Charles Wintour Award For Most Promising Playwright. This, however, went to Tarell Alvin McCraney. In 2009 Agbaje was commissioned by the Tricycle Theatre alongside Roy Williams and Kwame Kwei-Armah to be a part of the "Not Black and White" season. Her play Detaining Justice opened on 25 November 2009 and the show sold out.

Agbaje's second play for the Royal Court Theatre, Off the Endz, opened on 19 February 2010, directed by Jeremy Herrin. In 2013 she was commissioned by StoneCrabs Theatre Company to write The Burial, directed by Franko Figueiredo and co-produced by the Albany.

Her play Take a Deep Breath and Breathe, a loose adaptation of Aristophanes' Lysistrata, opened at the Ovalhouse Theatre in 2013 and transferred to the CLF Art Cafe in Peckham, running there from 13 to 31 August 2013.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 25, 2015
Modupe Adeyeye

[img]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Modupe+Adeyeye+British+Soap+Awards+Red+Carpet+RCxSmjIsNxjl.jpg[/img]

Modupe Adeyeye is an English actress and model. She is best known for her roles as Faith Olubunmi in EastEnders and EastEnders: E20 and transgender woman Blessing Chambers in Hollyoaks.

Born and raised in London, her name "Modupe" means "I praise or thank God" in Yoruba. Adeyeye is best known for her roles in EastEnders, EastEnders: E20 and Hollyoaks. She has also appeared in the drama series Our Girl and My Murder, as well as Doctors. She will also appear in 2014 film Honeytrap, alongside former E20 co-star Tosin Cole, Lucien Laviscount and Javine Hylton.

On 21 February 2014, Adeyeye joined the cast of Hollyoaks as Blessing Chambers, and her character was later revealed to be a transsexual. Also, Blessing began a relationship with Dennis Savage (Joe Tracini), and later found herself competing with Dennis' deceased wife Leanne (Jessica Forrest), being brutally attacked by evil rapist Finn O'Connor (Keith Rice) and she began self-harming when her family disowned her for being a transsexual. Blessing and Dennis later moved to Blackpool on 21 November 2014, which was their final appearances.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 25, 2015
zimoni:
Truth be told, this one Nigeriya(ri iya indeed) is not working. We are not enjoying the damn marriage, we are only enduring it.

We would have become developed than where we are now if we were not lumped together with some azzholes in the same country.

That is why I support the Biafrans in their agitation. Apart from the hate speeches, Nnamdi Kanu is doing a good job. How I wish Aremo Odua could also start something like Radio Biafra(Radio Oodua) in London. Our people need to wake up, we really need to wake up and smell the coffee. We are being held down, we deserve better than what we have presently.

We shall get there. I believe.

God Bless Us All.

Abeg help us tell them ooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
ProfShymex:
Adelayo Adedayo

Adelayo Adedayo is a British actress. Her first TV appearance was in The Bill (2007) and she made her film debut in Sket (2011). She currently stars as the main character, Viva Bennett, in Some Girls, which airs on BBC Three. She also appeared in Law & Order: UK and M.I. High.

Mmuah!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 25, 2015
Michael "Candyman" Olowokandi

Michael Olowokandi (born 3 April 1975) is a retired professional basketball player. Born in Nigeria, he attended college on a basketball scholarship in the United States, and was the number one pick in the 1998 NBA draft, where he was selected as a center by the Los Angeles Clippers. He played professionally until 2007.

Olowokandi's skills never translated to the NBA, and his career was marred by injury and inconsistency. He retired from professional basketball in 2007.

Olowokandi was born in Lagos, Nigeria; his father was a diplomat. His family moved to London, and Olowokandi attended the Newlands Manor School in Seaford, East Sussex and Brunel University. At Brunel, Olowokandi was an athlete in track and field, cricket, and rugby union, and began playing basketball when he was 18

Because of the 1998–99 NBA lockout, the season in which he was drafted, Olowokandi signed for Italian team Kinder Bologna. When he eventually signed for the Clippers he played there for five seasons. Afterward, he signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Minnesota Timberwolves for the 2003-04 NBA season. On 26 January 2006, he was traded to the Boston Celtics in a multi-player trade.[5]

In 500 regular season NBA games (399 games started), Olowokandi averaged 8.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 1.39 blocked shots per game. In 15 playoff games (2 starts), he averaged 2.1 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 0.73 blocks per game. In the 2001–2002 season, Olowokandi saw the most playing time of his career and averaged 11.1 points and 8.8 rebounds. During the last 20 games of that season, he averaged 17 points a game and 11 rebounds, and was considered one of the biggest free agents in the 2002–2003 free agency class. He played 36 games in the 2002–2003 season before sustaining an injury that forced him to miss the rest of the season. In his last year with the Los Angeles Clippers, he sustained a hernia and knee injury, which greatly hindered his ability after being listed as a top free agent prospect for the 2002–03 season. He finished that season averaging 12.3 points (on 42.7% shooting from the floor) 9.1 rebounds, 2.2 blocks, and 2.7 turnovers per game. During that offseason, he signed with the Minnesota Timberwolves. His time with the Timberwolves was marked by serious injury and inconsistent play.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
ProfShymex:
[size=14pt]Biyi Bandele[/size]

Biyi Bandele (born Biyi Bandele-Thomas; 13 October 1967) is a Nigerian novelist, playwright and filmmaker. Bandele is regarded as one of the most versatile and prolific of the UK-based Nigerian writers, having turned his hand to theatre, journalism, television, film and radio, as well as the fiction with which he made his name. He lives in London, where he moved in 1990.

Bandele was born to Yoruba parents in Kafanchan, Kaduna State, Nigeria in 1967. His father Solomon Bamidele Thomas was a veteran of the Burma Campaign in World War 2, while Nigeria was still part of the British Empire. Bandele spent the first 18 years of his life in the northern part of the country being most at home in the Hausa cultural tradition. Described as a precocious child, Bandele had early ambitions to be a writer and when he was 14 years old won a short-story competition. Later on, he moved to Lagos, then in 1987 studied drama at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. He won the International Student Playscript competition of 1989 with an unpublished play, Rain, before claiming the 1990 British Council Lagos Award for an unpublished collection of poems. When that year, aged 22, he went to London, invited to a theatre festival, he had with him the manuscripts of two novels he had written. Soon after he arrived in the UK he had found a publisher and been given a commission by the Royal Court Theatre

Awards
1989 – International Student Playscript Competition – Rain
1994 – London New Play Festival – Two Horsemen
1995 – Wingate Scholarship Award
1998 – Peggy Ramsay Award
2000 – EMMA (BT Ethnic and Multicultural Media Award) for Best Play – Oroonoko
Biyi Bandele, this man is the director of the movie Half of a Yellow Sun, an adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie's Novel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
Emmanuel Akintunde

Emmanuel Akintunde was born on March 10, 1988 in Nigeria. He is an actor, known for Edge of Tomorrow (2014), Amy (2009) and World War Z (2013).

Emmanuel was the drummer in Ayumi Hamasaki's promo videos, "Microphone" and "Sexy Little Things" broadcast in Japan; Directed by Muto Masashi.

Trained at the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts.

Speaks, Mandarin Chinese, German and Yoruba.

Has been a session drummer for over 10 years and has played at renowned venues including the Mermaid Theatre and Royal Festival Hall in London.

Runs a drum tuition company, GF Drums, aimed at markets including the entertainment industry.

Trained at NYCDA under Pete Matalliano, who was also Matthew Morrison's acting coach on 'Glee' aired on FOX.

Graduated in 2011 with a degree in International Business & Marketing.

Emmanuel was selected as a Powerlist Future Leader 2011/12! Official reception took place at City Hall with Mayor of London Boris Johnson in September 2011.

Emmanuel won the GAB (Gathering of Africa's Best Award) Award in Oct 2011 for his contributions to the promotion of the positive image of Africa and Africans around the world through Entertainment. Awards ceremony took place at London Hilton Paddington with distinguished guests from around Africa, including Mr Richard Taylor OBE and Actress Ellen Thomas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 25, 2015
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Biyi Bandele, this man is the director of the movie Half of a Yellow Sun, an adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie's Novel.

Yes.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
Biyi Bandele,Tunde kelani, Kunle Afolayan and Tade Ogidan make the best movies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ade Adepitan

Ade Adepitan MBE (born 27 March 1973) is a British television presenter and wheelchair basketball player. He uses a wheelchair as a result of contracting polio as a child which led to the loss of use of his left leg.

Adepitan was born in Maryland, Lagos, Nigeria on 27 March 1973. At the age of 6 months, Adepitan contracted polio which resulted in the loss of function of his left leg, and ultimately prevented him from walking. At the age of three, Adepitan and his mother emigrated to Newham in London, United Kingdom to join his father. He was educated at Southern Road Primary School in Plaistow, Newham, which he credits with helping him with his disability and problems at home. From an early age, he had aspirations of becoming an international sportsman. He also attended Lister Community School.

Adeptitan is an accomplished wheelchair basketball player, for his club Milton Keynes Aces and as a member of Great Britain team that won the bronze medal at the 2004 Summer Paralympics in Athens and the gold medal at the 2005 Paralympic World Cup in Manchester, United Kingdom.

Adepitan has featured on many television programmes and series as an actor, presenter or guest, particularly for the BBC. He often uses television as a platform to campaign against racism and disability discrimination. He was one of three wheelchair basketball players featured in the 2002 BBC One ident Hip-Hop. He was one of the main presenters of the children's programme Xchange produced for CBBC and has appeared in the soap opera EastEnders. He starred as wheelchair basketball coach, "Baggy Awolowo", in the TV series Desperados. Adepitan also participated in Beyond Boundaries which was a four-part documentary in which Adepitan trekked through rainforests, deserts, rivers and mountains in Nicaragua and made his own video diary filmed in London and Spain, talking about his sporting aspirations and how he coped as a London boy living in Zaragoza unable to speak any Spanish.

Adepitan was appointed as one of the main presenters on Channel 4 of the London 2012 Paralympic Games and co-presents That Paralympic Show with Rick Edwards.

In 2013, he presented a Channel 4 Dispatches programme, 'Britain on Benefits', and also presented a documentary for Channel 4's 'Unreported World' about Cuban basketball players, 'Cuba, Basketball and Betrayal'.

In 2014, he became one of the presenters of the new BBC travel series The Travel Show. He also anchored the Winter Paralympic Games for Channel 4 and Invictus Games for the BBC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
Time to round off this session with the two Yoruba British aristocrats.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 3:20pm On Oct 25, 2015
CabbieAC:
Biyi Bandele,Tunde kelani, Kunle Afolayan and Taye Ogidan make the best movies

Sir, it's Tade Ogidan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
[size=14pt]Baroness Lola Young[/size]

Lola Young, Baroness Young of Hornsey, OBE (born Margaret Omolola Young, 1 June 1951) is a British actress, author, and Crossbench peer. Young was educated at the Parliament Hill School for Girls in London and went then to the New College of Speech and Drama, where she received a diploma in dramatic art in 1975, and a teaching certificate one year later. In 1988 she graduated from Middlesex Polytechnic with a Bachelor of Arts in Contemporary Cultural Studies.

Young worked as a professional actress from 1976 to 1984, and had been a residential social worker in the London Borough of Islington from 1971 to 1973. Her most prominent role as an actress was in children's sitcom Metal Mickey which ran from 1980 to 1983. In 1985, she became co-director and training and development manager at the Haringey Arts Council, a post she held until 1989.

From 1990 to 1992, Young was lecturer in media studies at the Polytechnic of West London. In the following she was lecturer, senior lecturer, principal lecturer, Professor of cultural studies and in the end Emeritus professor at the Middlesex University. In 1995 she published Fear of the Dark: Race, Gender and Sexuality in Cinema.

Young became Project director of the Archives and Museum of Black Heritage in 1997, she was Commissioner in the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts in the years 2000 and 2001, and Chair at Nitro Theatre Company in 2004.

Young was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2001 New Year Honours.

From 2001 to 2004 she was head of culture at the Greater London Authority, following which she was created a life peer on 22 June 2004 taking the title Baroness Young of Hornsey of Hornsey in the London Borough of Haringey.

Other public appointments have included English Heritage’s Blue Plaques Committee, membership of the board of the Royal National Theatre, the South Bank Centre, and the board of Governors of Middlesex University, chairing the Arts Council’s Cultural Diversity Panel, and membership of the board of Resource, the Council of Museums, Archives and Libraries, and a commissioner on the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts. She has also chaired the judging panel of the Orange Prize for Fiction.

She takes an active interest in ethical issues in international trade, particularly the garment industry, is a Trustee of the Aid by Trade Foundation and is an honorary associate of the National Secular Society.[8]

In 2013, she was a signatory to a campaign for women to be able to inherit noble titles

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
zimoni:

Sir, it's Tade Ogidan.

Na mistake ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.