Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,820 members, 7,831,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East (2215 Views)

No Tribal Or Religious Discrimination In Lagos - Ambode / Bill To End Gender Discrimination Is Unafrican - Enugu Lawmakers / Looming Danger Over Hnd/b.sc Discrimination In Paramilitary Agencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by omaricha18(m): 11:22am On Oct 26, 2015
This is the account of how I was humiliated,harassed and taunted by my supposed people, (the Igbos)
Pls pardon my wrong english usage and commonly misspelt words, I am only a secondary school graduate,besides english is not my first language.
I was born into a strict christian home,(parent are both pastors) and I'm 18 years old. I was being broughtup in a 'christ like' way. Never for once had I, in any way insulted my elders, always seen all as one. and I believed from the onset that the Igbos are one only to receive the shock of my life . Fastforward to my aim of this post.
Osu caste practice is real! And its still being practiced in Igbo land. Sometimes I used to wonder how man's heart could be this pitch dark,and hell bound. Last time I checked such hatred could be equated to demons, who had undergone several series of torture in hell by their master, only to be sent forth into earth to wreak havoc.
Dad was transfered to Nsuka to continue with his pastoral work, he took us along as usual, went there only to realise the part was too local and remote, I had to move to town Amogbo/onuiyi. Rented a house there with my hard earned money. At first the landlord & landlady were friendly. the land lord told me to pay 10,000 naira for 6months, only for his wife to intervene
"he is still a student, let him give us nine instead" only if I had known. It was later concluded on nine.
Note: my aim of renting the house is to enable me start my ICT training.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by lonelydora: 11:25am On Oct 26, 2015
Nsukka again? I stayed at Beach junction as a student then.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by sigidporte(m): 11:28am On Oct 26, 2015
Is that all?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by omaricha18(m): 11:29am On Oct 26, 2015
everything was set, and well arranged, I had to pack in with few of my belongings , knowing fully well that its just few months to stay, then the contract will be terminated. Dear readers, the first night I spent there was horrible.at around 11pm, While I was asleep, I suddenly heard a bang on my door,
'who is it at this late hour of the night' I thought, waiting to hear another terrific knock. Only to start hearing people spitting and cursing every now and then, and calling 'Osu' and 'Ohu'. This eluded my dear sleep and kept me awake & confused all through the 9t, I didn't sleep that night. I thought maybe this will end soon, but it went on for days,weeks even up to my 2 months of staying there nonstop. I only managed to sleep plugging my ear piece and playing loud music. The funniest part is that they will do as if nothing happened the next morning. The following day the woman called her children, innocent poor souls, only if they knew what their parent wants to plant in them, I really pitied them. That night was when the parents planted this evil fruit of hate and hell bound pride. On this innocent poor souls. Now the children turned against me and behaved more arrogant than their parents. I wondered who told them that I am Osu or whatever, funny enough no one has ever called me such in my village,and to say that this people in question are catholics, they barely miss mass and sunday services.how can people be living without conscience. With much hatred to ur fellow Igbo, even when U don't know much about him, I wonder if Igbos were the only people that practiced slavery in the olden days, I wonder why they chose to abolish some evil cultures like twin killing and others only to keep and hold this one firmly. I believe I'm not the only Igbo going through this, yet they can't voice their pain so that peace will reign. I used to ask God why He made me an Igbo. Am fed up with such nonchalancy and ills of this ethnic group, that sometime I wonder if they are christians as they claimed to be. The peace loving majority they call Osu or Ohu are infact the people that will restore the glory of Igbo land if given a chance. Some people can't bear the stigma that they had to resort to living in foreign land.
The landlady/landlady in conjunction with the children, continued doing this, all in the bid to leave the house for them. Not minding I won't live forever with them, just 6 months.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by omaricha18(m): 11:32am On Oct 26, 2015
I called my dad and told him what am going through . Immediately, he told me to come home, to see how evil and mean this landlord was, he carried the campaign all through the neighbourhood telling people I'm Osu. I once caught the landlady unaware saying 'kwapu kwapu'(park out)she was standing close to my door post and pointing at my room while uttering this heartbreaking word.that was the day I madeup my mind to leave. Knowing fully well that my life is precious to me. Ofcourse I didn't just leave, I made sure I heaped an irreversible curse on them for maltreating me of a crime I know nothing about.
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Sveen: 11:35am On Oct 26, 2015
What is Osu?
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by omaricha18(m): 11:35am On Oct 26, 2015
I abandoned my ICT training, staying only for 2 months.my house rent was there. The money I would have channelled into something else if I had known it would turnout sour. to the extent I nearly died of heartbreak. I really suffered
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Aromas: 11:35am On Oct 26, 2015
I will only advise you to leave the house for them and look else where for better apartment, also dis has not lead to discrimination as you think not until you've park from one house to another for good 3 to 4 times before you tag it Discrimination or Hatred. May God save your soul.
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:37am On Oct 26, 2015
You should start the Biafra campaign and you would be washed from been Osu. grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by omaricha18(m): 11:37am On Oct 26, 2015
5*The self acclaimed diala, abuses the Osu secretly on daily bases. Calling them animals,fake human, filty,spitting at the sight of one etc.
See I really love my people, I want the best for them. I can't sue anyone for violation on my right, since they had chosen to defraud me of my money on a silly evil practice they call Osu, rather I have chosen this medium to bring to light evil perpetrated to man by man, hoping the world sees this and taking drastic step towards ensuring this evil is brought to an abrupt halt in Igbo land. I am calling on the Igbos in diaspora, the eastern governors,the Ezes and chiefs,the priest and pastors to help. Laws should be made available that will see the sudden death of this practice. The alleged Ohus or Osu can't live peacefully and happily in diala dominated neighbourhood, but diala living in their neighbourhood the reverse is the case. This is pure apartheid in black soil by blacks, are we confused or what? Igbos biko ka anyI hurita onwe anyi na anya (let us love one another) lest I forget, I wonder where we got the notion that we are jews, we are africans for christ's sake, the fact that we share similar culture doesn't make us jews. embrace your african brothers and stop creating enmity to our self. We need to reduce our pride in order to accommodate others, let us channel this our biafran struggle towards uniting Igbos first, I wonder how we are going to rule ourselves if Igbos hate theirselves this much , united we stand, divided we fall, use broom as a case study. A nation that is against it's self cannever stand. Don't be deceived, don't be gullible, we have to abolish discrimination its very bad. Pls Government should look into this its real .
Ignore any one that says its in extinct, its no longer practiced. Its either he is trying to avoid the topic or he is a bloody racist.
Seun pls help my people by taking this to front page, lalasticlala pls
TђA̲̅n×.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by dialfa: 11:40am On Oct 26, 2015
I think we Igbos will continue to suffer unexplained hardships until this evil is purged from our lands
OP, take heart, I know what you feel
My dad nearly killed me the day he learnt I was dating an osu and till this day I have yet to forgive my family for terminating the relationship with the love of my life
I can still hear her cries the day it ended and it was the worst thing I ever did
If I were to go back in time, I would abandon my family and join her and become an osu
op, don't mind church and their hypocrisy, they will never do anything about it for fear of losing customers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by DelticStephEn(f): 11:47am On Oct 26, 2015
Where can I buy this Novel? & what is d title of d Novel?

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Ikology(m): 11:49am On Oct 26, 2015
whatever trash you are spewing here belongs to the dustbin. nansense

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by athaboi(f): 12:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
Op i wldnt say u r llieing bt i can authoritatively tell u that u didnt tell us wat happened frm onset...in nsukka, nobody can ever ask u to pack because u r ohu/osu thats a big lie. Mind u there r thousands of ohu/osu. Everybody in nsk weda u r ohu/osu live together, is even very diffcult to knw those who r osu. U cant even say it to their hearing that they r ohu, is forbiding to tell them to their hearing or else u guys a fighting. Nobody can ask u to pack out because u r osu..tell us wat happend

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by DonXavi(m): 12:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
I am really sorry for the trauma they've caused you. As a Christian dominated region I think the church has a lot to do to see that the Osu practice is abolished.

The Osu practice is demonic I must say.

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by patrick89(m): 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
Look at this yeye writer! You just registered registered few hours ago, to open your first rubbish!
The story of osu is over emphasised, I recently asked my grandmother about it, she told me that they the so called osu in our village are the richest now, and discriminate against the so called amadi. She told me how it all started, aand how they are now the most educated and richest in my village! Kori gi akuko nkogheri si eba puo!
The biggest lies in your write up, is that you attached importance to your settlement in Nsukka. There is no part of igboland that cares about what you're saying.

7 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by SweetSoup(m): 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
This shouldn't be happening in this time and age, especially in a tribe that ought to be united. I may be wrong but i think this culture only exist in the east..

5 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Vikkie14: 12:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
dialfa:
I think we Igbos will continue to suffer unexplained hardships until this evil is purged from our lands
OP, take heart, I know what you feel
My dad nearly killed me the day he learnt I was dating an osu and till this day I have yet to forgive my family for terminating the relationship with the love of my life
I can still hear her cries the day it ended and it was the worst thing I ever did
If I were to go back in time, I would abandon my family and join her and become an osu
op, don't mind church and their hypocrisy, they will never do anything about it for fear of losing customers
proudly Yoruba.
No discrimation
Peaceful People
Accommodating Tribe

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Vikkie14: 12:20pm On Oct 26, 2015
DelticStephEn:
Where can I buy this Novel?
& what is d title of d Novel?
the Title of the novel is:
"Get A Life". Written by Omarich.a

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Movic1(m): 12:27pm On Oct 26, 2015
What is the meaning of OSU and OHU. I also watched a programme on AIT few weeks ago discussing this OSU stuff.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by mrsmith11(m): 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2015
athaboi:
Op i wldnt say u r llieing bt i can authoritatively tell u that u didnt tell us wat happened frm onset...in nsukka, nobody can ever ask u to pack because u r ohu/osu thats a big lie. Mind u there r thousands of ohu/osu. Everybody in nsk weda u r ohu/osu live together, is even very diffcult to knw those who r osu. U cant even say it to their hearing that they r ohu, is forbiding to tell them to their hearing or else u guys a fighting. Nobody can ask u to pack out because u r osu..tell us wat happend

Read properly

He didn't say they asked him to park but at night (abt 11pm) they come to bang his door , swearing and calling him osu while in the morning they act normal

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by cheruv: 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2015
Too bad... cry
Am quite happy though that my clan doesn't have it smiley but am worried that the areas am targeting to marry from have it as part of their social fabrik! angry
My ancestors took an inhumane decision then of slaughtering them..thus saving us their descendants of any future social dilemma. Those clans especially in the Imo Anambra areas that thought they were acting humanely are now the ones facing this social upheaval.
I know how we can eradicate totally this social anomaly,but the plan is one that can only work in an autonomous Igboland cool

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
please dear op, could you explain for the benefit of those of us not igbo what OSU is all about. are they a different tribe or what, or do they have a different skin tone, maybe albino or something. been hearing about the OSU caste but dont understand.

casting a people differently for whatever reason and treating them badly is evil and makes my skin crawl.

injustice to one is injustice to all.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by LadyExcellency: 1:05pm On Oct 26, 2015
omaricha18:
5*The self acclaimed diala, abuses the Osu secretly on daily bases. Calling them animals,fake human, filty,spitting at the sight of one etc.
See I really love my people, I want the best for them. I can't sue anyone for violation on my right, since they had chosen to defraud me of my money on a silly evil practice they call Osu, rather I have chosen this medium to bring to light evil perpetrated to man by man, hoping the world sees this and taking drastic step towards ensuring this evil is brought to an abrupt halt in Igbo land. I am calling on the Igbos in diaspora, the eastern governors,the Ezes and chiefs,the priest and pastors to help. Laws should be made available that will see the sudden death of this practice. The alleged Ohus or Osu can't live peacefully and happily in diala dominated neighbourhood, but diala living in their neighbourhood the reverse is the case. This is pure apartheid in black soil by blacks, are we confused or what? Igbos biko ka anyI hurita onwe anyi na anya (let us love one another) lest I forget, I wonder where we got the notion that we are jews, we are africans for christ's sake, the fact that we share similar culture doesn't make us jews. embrace your african brothers and stop creating enmity to our self. We need to reduce our pride in order to accommodate others, let us channel this our biafran struggle towards uniting Igbos first, I wonder how we are going to rule ourselves if Igbos hate theirselves this much , united we stand, divided we fall, use broom as a case study. A nation that is against it's self cannever stand. Don't be deceived, don't be gullible, we have to abolish discrimination its very bad. Pls Government should look into this its real .
Ignore any one that says its in extinct, its no longer practiced. Its either he is trying to avoid the topic or he is a bloody racist.
Seun pls help my people by taking this to front page, lalasticlala pls
TђA̲̅n×.

Go to Aba, no one is Osu there. The indigenous people of Ngwas have no Osu nor do they regard those practices
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
Op take heart, touching story. let this drive your determination to make it in life.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by WIZGUY69(m): 1:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
it's no news that iboes of Nigeria are diabolical, cannibals & stone aged illiterate morafuckin people.

11 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by MrMbaM: 1:30pm On Oct 26, 2015
What is OSU? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by simplycarro: 1:33pm On Oct 26, 2015
How can you recognize an Osu?
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Movic1(m): 1:42pm On Oct 26, 2015
Since there's no direct meaning for OSU, All igbos are OSUS cool
Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
Vikkie14:
proudly Yoruba.
No discrimation
Peaceful People
Accommodating Tribe
Bro,abeg stop telling a lie.
I lost my ex bcuz her parents said Ekiti don't mingle with ijebu.
I'm proudly ijebu and I don't care,who I get married to. Yorubas sef dey discriminate oh.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
BlackMaria:

I'm proudly ijebu and I don't care,who I get married to. Yorubas sef dey discriminate oh.

Lie

No one care here even if you marry Igbo ot Hausa

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Experience Of Discrimination In The East by sherrylo: 2:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
BlackMaria:

Lier
Lierer
Lierest

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Mali Hotel Attack Ends Leaving 27 People Dead (graphic Photos) / see the touching things businessmen are saying since buhari became president / #bring Back Jonathan!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.