Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,324 members, 7,829,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn (37223 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / Telecom Giant, MTN Begins Payment With $250m To Nigerian Government / Cameroon Government Fines MTN $160 Million For Corruption Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by naptu2: 3:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]MTN's statement.[/size]

Shareholders are advised that the NCC has imposed a fine equivalent to US$5.2 billion on MTN Nigeria.

This fine relates to the timing of the disconnection of 5.1 million MTN Nigeria subscribers who were disconnected in August and September 2015 and is based on a fine of N200, 000 for each unregistered subscriber.

MTN Nigeria is currently in discussions with the NCC to resolve the matter in recognition of the circumstances that prevailed with regard to these subscribers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by LordAdam: 3:29pm On Oct 26, 2015
What nonsense! The IGR from all states in the federation for last year was not up $5b. How can these mofos fine a company such amount. That's one-fourth of our national budget.

Where will this money end up after being collected by the way? Is this how businesses are supported? No wonder Nigeria is not among the best 130 countries to conduct business in. CBN just did theirs, now NCC.

Mega fines, with zero accountability. Lackluster electricity, Death-traps called roads, OYO security, awful tertiary academic system producing half-baked graduates; and yet these half-witted dimwits are destroying the same corporatocracy that's keeping the nation's economic engine going.

Nigeria is a failed state!

Quote me anywhere!

-Lord

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by mployer(m): 3:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sweetguy25:

MTN has been consistently making an average of 700 billion naira annually in profits for the past five years in Nigeria. Figure the rest out for yourself

Post a Link to support That claim
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by huthority01(m): 3:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
I wish to use this medium to call on the NCC, to work in harmony to put in place an environment in which MTN can continue their substantial investments in pursuit of delivering world class telecommunications networks in Nigeria.

I am also concerned that the sanction could create an atmosphere of anxiety and regulatory uncertainty which is unattractive to investment. I therefore actively engaging NCC and MTN Nigeria to resolve this issue.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by sholemania: 3:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
Una see this foolish MTN ehn!

They deduct my money every blessed morning for one thing called DAILY STARTUP TIPS.

I awaits their ban or recession...

Foolish network
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by yorke1: 3:41pm On Oct 26, 2015
Anybody that take this news seriously is a mumu. NCC and MTN knows how to play with the gullible minds since 2005.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by hopefulme: 3:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
zizirecords:
Oh my God! See me dancing! MTN just stole 8000NGN credit from my phone last week with no adequate redress even when I called them several times.

God catch them. Steal 8000NGN, repay 5 billion. tongue tongue grin

Call Mtn customer care and complain.Once you have made the complain a customer complaint ID will be sent to you. You can then call a toll free line 622 with the compliant ID. The issue will be resolved by NCC and your money will be returned. For unwanted SMS, call your operator's customer care and directed them to deactivate all unwanted SMS.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ddjay: 3:57pm On Oct 26, 2015
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by iliyande(m): 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2015
hopefulme:

Call Mtn customer care and complain.Once you have made the complain a customer complaint ID will be sent to you. You can then call a toll free line 622 with the compliant ID. The issue will be resolved by NCC and your money will be returned. For unwanted SMS, call your operator's customer care and directed them to deactivate all unwanted SMS.

for my case, I complaint to airtel and they stopped those unnecessary text messages, but mtn call care guy told boldly that I should disregard the messages if I don't like them because they cannot do anything about it. according to him that it is the only channel in which they communicate their subscribers.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Uniboy1: 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2015
I don set!
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by IgweBUIKE1(m): 4:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
dominique:
If you're being charged for service you never subscribed for, just bear it that it's your contribution towards paying of $5bn fine. MTN subscribers una sorry o.
if am charge for a service nt rendered na to return back to ncc website report them shikena
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
Sometimes Nigerians are their own worst enemies. They keep complaining about the services of a company yet u can't switch to another. If mtn isn't satisfactory enough, then port to another network. It's so easy and within 5 mins u are in and still retain ur number

Glad I did

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by simi4me(m): 4:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
They should also fine them for poor service and send the money to their subscribers as free recharge card. That way, we the subscribers can also benefit from the fine.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by bummyla(m): 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
Good For Them! MTN Is A Funny Network! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by postmann: 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
Watch out for increase in subscribers chargres by the same MTN. After each fine from NCC, MTN always increase tarrif on their subscribers.
NCC be on the alert. They do it systematically. Expect it somewhere around January-Fabuary next year.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by huthority01(m): 5:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
Shareholders are advised that the NCC has imposed a fine equivalent to US$5.2 billion on MTN Nigeria.

This fine relates to the timing of the disconnection of 5.1 million MTN Nigeria subscribers who were disconnected in August and September 2015 and is based on a fine of N200, 000 for each unregistered subscriber.

MTN Nigeria is currently in discussions with the NCC to resolve the matter in recognition of the circumstances that prevailed with regard to these subscribers.

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Kollyman: 6:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
lekjons:
they weren't fined for maltreating their customers, but because of incomplete registration of sims, how does that help an average Nigerian..

nonsense!angry

If any of your close relatives has been kidnaped and someone called asking for handsome and investigation revealed that the criminal used a MTN line. U left relieved that you would finally get tangible information on how to apprehend the criminals but you met the greatest surprise when MTN told you that " though the criminal used our network to place the call but unfortunately the sim he used is not registered and they completed it with WE ARE SORRY".

I hope you would commend them for their.......... service.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by mudiana(m): 6:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
I just advice users of mtn line including myself to be careful cos this "fine" money will come from us.don't b surprised if #100 calls become 2minutes and 4 seconds or u wake up to see ur account empty.MTN ll hv to suck it's subscribers dry to get this money.start using ur Airtel,glo,Etisalat now.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 989900: 6:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
Killing a cockroah with a 'bazooka'.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by mikron(m): 6:34pm On Oct 26, 2015
ril19:
N1.4trillion? e be like say naija wan use dat one for 2016 budget.

in other news, me think that empty hen has started slashing n stealing our money to make up the N4t.

i was just chilling with loved ones last week thursday when i got an sms which reads "you have successfully subscribed to CNN news. N50 has been deducted". Hmm! I swear i wasn't even using the phone then coz it was on the table. Well i immediately did the needful and one ms. Adeola picked up. She told me nothing could be done so i asked to be deactivated. Since that day i didn't receive any CNN news. i hung up but not before telling her to use the stolen N50 to buy herself a bottle of coke.
mine was similar but in form of sky sports news, and same 50naira was deducted, just like that, I promptly called their customer care and asked them without delay to opt me out d way they activated me in d 1st place, thieves
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ableguy(m): 6:35pm On Oct 26, 2015
Please someone should tell ncc to share some of the money among us the subscribers. It's dividends of patronage ;DPlease someone should tell ncc to share some of the money among us the subscribers. It's dividends of patronage
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by IlekeHD: 6:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
chuks1223:
Video: Different Between An American And Nigerian Burial
Watch below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHzm58KbwI

Please subscribe to my channel for more funny videos thanks
source:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bVQWZpxJwKiUV9mO8mBzQ

lmaoooo grin grin
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Ryda(m): 6:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
MTN: MADNESS TAKE OVER NIGERIA

Useless set of fraud_sters...they called me as usual with anoda numba unknown to me whn i picked d baskards stole my last #50 airtym whn i needed it most angry
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Franky9584(m): 6:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
nice 1 but unfortunately, we the subscribers are going to be the one paying directly or indirectly...frm now onwards, am keeping an eye on every kobo dat leaves my account....thieves!!!
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 400billionman: 7:32pm On Oct 26, 2015
MTN just useless the last 2 recharge cards i loaded.

N200 normally lasts 15 minutes or there about. But i used it for about 6 minutes. They debited it for unseen services.

Anyway, i have gotten back my way
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Ups01(m): 7:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Elphydo(m): 7:54pm On Oct 26, 2015
dominique:
If you're being charged for service you never subscribed for, just bear it that it's your contribution towards paying of $5bn fine. MTN subscribers una sorry o.

I swear na die we dey at this moment!!! MTN go show us pepper
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by iamdapsyj(m): 8:21pm On Oct 26, 2015
I think it should be 5 billion naira if the news is true because I don't see a fine that can amount to 5 billion dollars (it's too steep). No company in Nigeria will survive that kind of penalty.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by KRI1759(m): 9:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 9:19pm On Oct 26, 2015
"Whenever the Nigerian regulator steps up enforcement, MTN takes a hammering," Dobek Pater, a
telecoms analyst at Africa Analysis based in Johannesburg, said.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Stylaay(m): 9:22pm On Oct 26, 2015
No wonder this damn MTN d way my credit has been running out since yesterday omo make I go port to glo thieving bast*ards. The fine would be paid by their subscribers the bastards never loose.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

MTN SIM Registration Again! / Solution To Certificate Not On SIM Or Phone For Nokia Phones / Code For Airtel Friend And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.