Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,908 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn (37196 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / Telecom Giant, MTN Begins Payment With $250m To Nigerian Government / Cameroon Government Fines MTN $160 Million For Corruption Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by OohLalah(f): 10:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
zizirecords:
Oh my God! See me dancing! MTN just stole 8000NGN credit from my phone last week with no adequate redress even when I called them several times.

God catch them. Steal 8000NGN, repay 5 billion. tongue tongue grin

Goodnews indeed! Now let's see who will have the last laugh. MTN owns almost all the masts in Nigeria, when they decide to sell to Glo, Airtell et al, and exit that market then the world will be the winner. As Nigerians will be unable to maintain the masts with Boko Harm and Biafrans will bomb the mast, the remaining networks won't afford the diesel maintenance cost and that will result in total shut down of wireless network in Naija. That
equals to no more internet scams for the world victims. A win for the e-world.

Let's then see which investors will risk investing in Nigeria again. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 10:38pm On Oct 26, 2015
the Nigerian govt should also compensate customers every time electricity is disconnected for more than an hour without prior notification . it's basically what happened to MTN
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 10:42pm On Oct 26, 2015
michaeadi:
These is not the kind of fine we expect from NCC.. Inasmuch as MTN Nigeria is not the market favorites. NCC should at least provide enabling environment for business to thrive... May these developments not lead to rippling effects on the job market

THEY NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL, potential investors are watching this with great interests. If this is how foreign companies are treated in Nigeria, god forbid, it will be bad for a poor man on the street. Low investment, no jobs around. DISASTER waiting to happen.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by alexov(m): 10:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
As oil price don crash NCC wan join hand to increase naija revenue

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 10:57pm On Oct 26, 2015
leonn:
Ncc is high on weed konk igboh....well am not surprised some top politicians playing game as usual manipulating powers that be in order to force mtn out of Nigeria so they cud buy it over......corruption in high places at play. let them know that when you steal or take by force what u cant have it will go like the Wind when u eventually posses it.

MTN wont last 5yrs in Nigeria, mark my words. It has been clear that the nigerian authority want them out, but they dont know how to kick them out. The regulatory environment has been tough for them, they will be left with no option but to sell the nigerian business. But the question is who will buy it, knowing the regulatory environment to be tough. Nigeria is just setting a bad precedent, potential investors will pull back after seeing whats been happening, hash treatment towards foreign businesses.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by simdam500(m): 11:12pm On Oct 26, 2015
Surprisingly since they blocked my line to force me to re register, I haven't and I doubt I will
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 11:20pm On Oct 26, 2015
iamdapsyj:
I think it should be 5 billion naira if the news is true because I don't see a fine that can amount to 5 billion dollars (it's too steep). No company in Nigeria will survive that kind of penalty.

If its not reduced, MTN will close shops. BAD for future investments, sending the wrong message to investors. When oil price is as low as it is, Nigeria needs massive FDI's, so how will they come when seeing other foreign companies struggling with the tough regulatory invironment.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ameynuJR(m): 11:22pm On Oct 26, 2015
ameynuJR:
MTN be like any promotional message they sent to subscribers them go charged for it. NCC don caused it for una
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by OohLalah(f): 12:10am On Oct 27, 2015
14:

THEY NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL, potential investors are watching this with great interests. If this is how foreign companies are treated in Nigeria, god forbid, it will be bad for a poor man on the street. Low investment, no jobs around. DISASTER waiting to happen.

You talking to the gun"giant of africa" oo! They know what they are doing (not). Soon they will come with their caps in hand to beg SA and reverse they stooopid fine. Just watch and see. grin
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 5:40am On Oct 27, 2015
cupidhero:
5 billion dollars is too small. MTN should pay more than that. DSTV na angel compared to MTN.

Oh so you don't know. Well, I got news for you. MTN is DSTV which is GoTV which is Ecobank which is Jumia which is also ShopRite, all owned by South Africa and all unleashed on Nigerians to swindle us all in ways they can never try in their home country.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 5:48am On Oct 27, 2015
rusher14:

The hefty fine might sound the death knell for MTN however, which despite their abuses should not be encouraged.

I care less if MTN dies today. One less player in telecommunication will not spell doom. The remaining three will suffice, step in the gap and yes, fall in line for fear of facing same fate. And you know what? That means the less saturation of that sector which will in turn bring in more operators willing to take the plunge and make money from the vast potential in the country telecommunication sector. And of course with a new sheriff in town, I don't see any new players coming to swindle is with lies in the manner of "sorry, per second billing isn't possible on our computer", or "sorry, data subscriptions cannot cost less than what they do now"

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 5:59am On Oct 27, 2015
Mavor:
These NCC clowns are thieves. Shay they are trying to run these guys out of Nigeria in connivance with Adenuga and co ba? These guys who took the big risk to invest in Nigeria in the first place and now that the investment is paying off, people are not happy. The regulatory body needs to get it's house in order.

MTN needs to get it's acts together.

My dear friend. MTN in connivance with NCC and some unscrupulous elements in the Nigerian politicians ran down our indigenous HITV and "approved" an illegal Terrestrial broadcast licence for GoTV cum DSTV to also drive the indigenous StarTimes out of the market. But those were possible only in the days of anything goes. Now it's business UNusual. You do the crime, you pay. Corporate crimes will no longer do unpunished or unchallenged.

Even FirstBank and UBA are already licking their sore thumb now.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 6:07am On Oct 27, 2015
sevule:
I definitely agree that MTN should be fined but a fine of $5 billion is totally ridiculous. How did they arrive at that figure? It makes no sense at all.
The CBN fined FirstBank and UBA 5% of the NNPC funds they illegally kept and refused to remit to the TSA against stern warning. I guess MTN 5 billion USD is 200% of the number of unregistered subscribers they still habour on their network. Other players (Glo, Airtel and Etisalat) have immediately done the needful and obeyed NCC rules. I guess MTN thinks it's like before when they have money to bribe and sway all decisions to their favour. They gambled wrongly this time.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 6:24am On Oct 27, 2015
Ups01:

I disagree with you!

MTN Hires the best brains give you irresistible offers and they make their cool cash, simple! They understand the law of supply and demand.

In conclusion MTN is not a crook at least not as exaggerated.

PS am not on MTN PAYROLL

Oh yeah, MTN ain't no crook? Is that Stockholm's?

Two known MTN subscribers last week lost 700 naira and 500 naira from their account OVERNIGHT for doing nothing on their cell. Mind you they are both elderly people who use those basic Nokia phones, so no browsing and no SMS sef. Sad thing is that they have to wait for someone to help 'em call CustoCare as they don't know jack 'bout that.

I sent those call credits to their devices, so i know what I'm talking 'bout.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 6:29am On Oct 27, 2015
ceaser:

Oh so you don't know. Well, I got news for you. MTN is DSTV which is GoTV which is Ecobank which is Jumia which is also ShopRite, all owned by South Africa and all unleashed on Nigerians to swindle us all in ways they can never try in their home country.

There is no difference between Nestle, MTN, Shell, Nissan, they are all foreign investors. Nigeria went to SA to beg for SA companies to invest in nigeria, and after some few years, this is the treatment they receive. And why this ill treatments are only directed to SA firms. I think nigeria just wished they all belonged to them. But little do they know that building such organisation was not a child's play. For mtn, dstv, shoprite, games to be what they are, they worked hard to build those businesses. Why are american, japanese and british businesses not treated like the way SA companies are treated?
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 6:35am On Oct 27, 2015
14:

Oh, wrong you are and you can't be further away from the truth. MTN leaves today, that's less saturation of the telecom market and ten more operators worldwide are waiting to fill in.

Here is something: When GSM first started in Nigeria, most operators worldwide were skeptical of its success in Nigeria so they held back from investing. Only Econet wireless and MTN took the risk. Look at whether we are today. Nigeria telco market is touted as the fastest growing worldwide.

No operator that knows her onions would wanna miss out on such sure deal not minding whatever atmosphere prevails, and business atmosphere in Nigeria ain't worse than what it wad when Econet wireless started.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 6:36am On Oct 27, 2015
ceaser:

My dear friend. MTN in connivance with NCC and some unscrupulous elements in the Nigerian politicians ran down our indigenous HITV and "approved" an illegal Terrestrial broadcast licence for GoTV cum DSTV to also drive the indigenous StarTimes out of the market. But those were possible only in the days of anything goes. Now it's business UNusual. You do the crime, you pay. Corporate crimes will no longer do unpunished or unchallenged.

Even FirstBank and UBA are already licking their sore thumb now.

Just for correction, startimes is a chinese company. They are no different from DStv, is still a foreign company. So you willing to chase away an African company and petronise an Asian company.
http://en.startimes.com.cn/companyprofile/index.htm
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 6:48am On Oct 27, 2015
14:

MTN wont last 5yrs in Nigeria, mark my words. It has been clear that the nigerian authority want them out, but they dont know how to kick them out. The regulatory environment has been tough for them, they will be left with no option but to sell the nigerian business. But the question is who will buy it, knowing the regulatory environment to be tough. Nigeria is just setting a bad precedent, potential investors will pull back after seeing whats been happening, hash treatment towards foreign businesses.

Pray tell. Have other operators (Glo, Airtel and Etisalat) been working under a different regulatory environment? Oh, they don't answer to NCC, I guess. Of that three, just one - Glo - is mostly indigenous, so the question of a foreign investment being victimised clearly doesn't arise.

Here is the truth: MTN has had the wherewithal to sway decisions all along. Heck, I know they can fly enough "monetary motivations" in the faces of those NCC officials for 'em to forget the 5 billion fine but I'm not sure the officials would wanna risk their neck under a new government.

Other operators have not been overtly "generous" in inducements and cannot afford the financial wherewithal to indulge NCC in such power play. Therefore for the fear of incessant sanctions, they have learnt to obey the rules of corporate op.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 7:05am On Oct 27, 2015
ceaser:

Oh, wrong you are and you can't be further away from the truth. MTN leaves today, that's less saturation of the telecom market and ten more operators worldwide are waiting to fill in.

Here is something: When GSM first started in Nigeria, most operators worldwide were skeptical of its success in Nigeria so they held back from investing. Only Econet wireless and MTN took the risk. Look at whether we are today. Nigeria telco market is touted as the fastest growing worldwide.

No operator that knows her onions would wanna miss out on such sure deal not minding whatever atmosphere prevails, and business atmosphere in Nigeria ain't worse than what it wad when Econet wireless started.

If thats the case, why does MTN have 62m subscribers if they were not offering better service than the other 4. Lets assume tomorrow mtn packs its bags and leave, will the GSM remain the same or the telecommunication infrustracture will deteriorate? No one will gain anything at the end of the day.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 7:05am On Oct 27, 2015
14:

Just for correction, startimes is a chinese company. They are no different from DStv, is still a foreign company. So you willing to chase away an African company and petronise an Asian company.
http://en.startimes.com.cn/companyprofile/index.htm

Oh no. You don't get it and you are missing the point. NTA brought StarTines consortium into the country. It is a partnership aimed at meeting the deadline of overall digitalisation of broadcast by 2016. Digital broadcast Television (DBTV) is what NTA aims at and they partnered with Startimes China for take off and management till a specified period after which total ownership is handed over to NTA.

DBTV as operated by Startimes Nigeria made TV subscription more affordable to Nigerians and more subscribers joined the wagon, with a negative effect on DSTV, the sole operator of satellite TV broadcast in the country (after HITV has been taken care of).

DSTV could not directly fight off StarTimes since they were on two different platforms. The only way to fight of the bleeding subscribers on their platform was to field a DBTV outfit (they got the money and the willingness to illegally subvert decisions - that's business, though dirty and allowed by Nigeria atmosphere)

So they started GoTv. StarTimes took 'em to court on the premise that DSTV was not licenced to operate DBTV, only satellite TV. This is true and under no circumstance should DSTV, a company licenced only for satellite TV broadcast by NCC should be allowed to operate DBTV which StarTimes has been licenced for.

Well, absurdly but not unusually, DSTV won.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 8:17am On Oct 27, 2015
ceaser:

Oh no. You don't get it and you are missing the point. NTA brought StarTines consortium into the country. It is a partnership aimed at meeting the deadline of overall digitalisation of broadcast by 2016. Digital broadcast Television (DBTV) is what NTA aims at and they partnered with Startimes China for take off and management till a specified period after which total ownership is handed over to NTA.

DBTV as operated by Startimes Nigeria made TV subscription more affordable to Nigerians and more subscribers joined the wagon, with a negative effect on DSTV, the sole operator of satellite TV broadcast in the country (after HITV has been taken care of).

DSTV could not directly fight off StarTimes since they were on two different platforms. The only way to fight of the bleeding subscribers on their platform was to field a DBTV outfit (they got the money and the willingness to illegally subvert decisions - that's business, though dirty and allowed by Nigeria atmosphere)

So they started GoTv. StarTimes took 'em to court on the premise that DSTV was not licenced to operate DBTV, only satellite TV. This is true and under no circumstance should DSTV, a company licenced only for satellite TV broadcast by NCC should be allowed to operate DBTV which StarTimes has been licenced for.

Well, absurdly but not unusually, DSTV won.

http://www.startimes.com.ng/about-us/

dont mix things

dstv - gotv
startimes - NTA-STAR

NTA-STAR is not different from Gotv

partnership between NTA and Startimes is for NTA-STAR operation DBTV, Not for the satelite TV
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Kowale: 8:32am On Oct 27, 2015
Oooopppeee oooooo! Greatest news.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by JurassicPark: 8:55am On Oct 27, 2015
himkers:
[size=15pt]God don dey catch them; remaining DSTV. Abeg who dey sanction TV companies??[/size]

NBC + NASS should nail their butts it's been so long overdue
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by JSmart4u(m): 9:46am On Oct 27, 2015
Nigerians are happy about this. The news in south Africa says that Their company MTN is planning to withdraw their company from Nigeria and we all know that mtn has the cheapest call rates in Nigeria. Well let's hope for the best.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by phrezzz: 10:19am On Oct 27, 2015
14 u are 1 of the few SAn that write with valid points and there is truth in what u have said but not did MTN fail to disconnect unregistered sims they also dodged TAX. i quite agree $5.1b is a rediculous amount probably both parties will resolve it. as it stands mtn has 62mill nigerian subscribers and i read somewhere they were trying to pull out from SA. so people saying mtn ng will pull out from ng is like telling them to commit sucide.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by buzmail1: 10:40am On Oct 27, 2015
Good for them MTN like extorting we Nigerians is time to pay back but all MTN subscribers wash our back o
In the history do we remember how much they sold their lines
In the history do we remember when you recharged 750 or 1500 you must use it all before a week else it will expire(Have never seen such in my life except in Nigeria that your money expire)
In the history do we remember they said PAID PER SECOND IS NOT POSSIBLE
So many extortionate
MTN made the profit they ve never made 10 years back in SA they made the profit here and yet they re doing this to US

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Godwin978(m): 11:53am On Oct 27, 2015
They derseved it. is high time they return what they had been steeling from us.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by JBL316: 11:56am On Oct 27, 2015
Make NCC kukuma take over MTN na, because i just dey wonder how much the company is worth.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Lordsaggy: 12:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
You must have lost your six.... How does this concerns buhari's administration... Barbaric bulldog

A clear message to businesses. You are welcome to do business in Nigeria but it should not be about profit making alone. You must provide the services that your subscribers and customers pay for.

What MTN cannot try in SA or Kenya, they do in Nigeria because successive administrations have never held them to account.

This Buhari's administration has been damn too slow but the actions are well thought out and targeted.

[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 27, 2015
iliyande:
grin MTN subscribers be ready to pay for the fine, grin

cheesy MTN will make sure they deduct the money from your daily recharge to pay for the fine cheesy
Is that why they deducted a whooping N6 after I made A N100 recharge yesterday? Those clumsy oafs. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2015
emmydeep:
Well Nigeria; but my glo sim which i did not register is still active so why did Nigeria fined only MTN?

shurrup over there!you want to expose glo ? do you know how mtn has smartly under paid taxes abi you no dey read news ?Can you try what mtn does in south africa?Nigeria is their biggest market.

lets encourage our indigenously owned mobile network....am sorry but i dont pity them
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 7:02pm On Oct 27, 2015
phrezzz:
14 u are 1 of the few SAn that write with valid points and there is truth in what u have said but not did MTN fail to disconnect unregistered sims they also dodged TAX. i quite agree $5.1b is a rediculous amount probably both parties will resolve it. as it stands mtn has 62mill nigerian subscribers and i read somewhere they were trying to pull out from SA. so people saying mtn ng will pull out from ng is like telling them to commit sucide.

$.1 bn is ridicuous.....bro, do you know how much tax mtn evaded? do you know how much they extort from us?

mtn can pay the fine

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Z30 Or S4? / Jack Dorsey Launches Bluesky Social, New Social Network / Code For Airtel Friend And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.