Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn (37226 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / Telecom Giant, MTN Begins Payment With $250m To Nigerian Government / Cameroon Government Fines MTN $160 Million For Corruption Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 7:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
14:

If thats the case, why does MTN have 62m subscribers if they were not offering better service than the other 4. Lets assume tomorrow mtn packs its bags and leave, will the GSM remain the same or the telecommunication infrustracture will deteriorate? No one will gain anything at the end of the day.

Better coverage ,wider network and they know who to bribe.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by KINGOFJAPAN: 10:37pm On Oct 27, 2015
OohLalah:

You talking to the gun"giant of africa" oo! They know what they are doing (not). Soon they will come with their caps in hand to beg SA and reverse they stooopid fine. Just watch and see. grin
You southies are jokers... Let mtn go back to sa and see if Nigerians will miss em... If mtn leaves today, they'll be replaced asap no time for dulling..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 11:14am On Oct 28, 2015
14:

If thats the case, why does MTN have 62m subscribers if they were not offering better service than the other 4. Lets assume tomorrow mtn packs its bags and leave, will the GSM remain the same or the telecommunication infrustracture will deteriorate? No one will gain anything at the end of the day.

Econet wireless would have been the best in Nigerian market today, remember they were the first to go on air in Nigeria. They couldn't survive because as a consortium, they were not willing to dance along with the corruption infested terrain. The licencing of the telecom operators at the start of the whole process was very transparent and impressive. However along the way things went wrong. The wrong individuals tried to cash in on that opportunity to make huge money illegally. While MTN did not really resist the temptation to "financially" forge their way ahead, Econet wireless was unwilling to play and they paid with being kicked outta the field. Painful it is.

If you need more explanation or revelation of the how, why and what became the fate of the original Econet wireless and how the various metamorphoses of Celtel, Vmobile and Airtel came about, I will oblige you.

If either of Globacom or Etisalat had forayed into the Nigerian market earlier, they may have the largest in the market share too.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 11:20am On Oct 28, 2015
14:

http://www.startimes.com.ng/about-us/

dont mix things

dstv - gotv
startimes - NTA-STAR

NTA-STAR is not different from Gotv

partnership between NTA and Startimes is for NTA-STAR operation DBTV, Not for the satelite TV

I believe i was clear enough on the distinction between Satellite TV and DBTV as they apply to DSTV and Startimes/NTA in my submission. So sorry I don't get what you aim to elucidate here.

I know what I'm saying. So maybe you should read my submission again and compare and contrast to your own emphasis.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 11:38am On Oct 28, 2015
arabianights:

Better coverage ,wider network and they know who to bribe.

Thank you my brother. You really get the drift. A more appropriate question should have been "why is MTN not the largest player (actually the third position) in the home country of South Africa?

In those days when anything goes in this country, expatriate consortiums can become hugely successful if you are a willing player of the dirty game. Hike fees, give sub-standard services and make humongous profits as a result. Just ensure you always plug the mouths of the regulators and SON with enough Naira to make 'em look away and dump their primary duty of consumer protection. MTN was just lucky and "smart" enough to be in a country where these wrong is condoned whereas in South Africa where they have to do business by the book and customer satisfaction and value for money are ensured, they are in the distant third.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2015
JSmart4u:
Nigerians are happy about this. The news in south Africa says that Their company MTN is planning to withdraw their company from Nigeria and we all know that mtn has the cheapest call rates in Nigeria. Well let's hope for the best.

You know what? I honestly don't wish MTN pulls out. They have invested much into telco and are part of the success story of telecommunication in this country. Heck I want the competition to continue but this time on a level playing field. All MTN needs to do is to fall in line and do business as it is, not as they want. At least that is how it applies in their home country and even in their operations in our next door neighbour Ghana.

They should know that financial inducements to indulge in corporate crimes will no longer apply in the telco environment in the country. So they only need to obey the rules. No one is gonna sanction 'em for obeying rules and they can even justifiably contest in court any such actions wrongly imposed on 'em.

Maybe if things go southward again - I pray not - when this current government leaves, MTN can again resume its corporate crimes that give it humongous annual earnings.

And for the records, MTN does not have the cheapest call rates in Nigeria. Globacom currently has the cheapest intra- and interconnectivity call rates of the big fours.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 12:20pm On Oct 28, 2015
arabianights:

shurrup over there!you want to expose glo ? do you know how mtn has smartly under paid taxes abi you no dey read news ?Can you try what mtn does in south africa?Nigeria is their biggest market.

lets encourage our indigenously owned mobile network....am sorry but i dont pity them

Encourage indigenous, yes, but not to default tax or disobey rules of the NCC. They should equally not be spared if they err. That is bow to ensure standards are set. And sincerely in my opinion, Glo hasn't been impressive as I would want. Granted they are somewhat greenhorn compared to MTN, Etisalat and Airtel, but they should be getting some things right by now.

I had Mtel when they started and i still have their SIM pack safe as a reminder. I have Glo as my daily driver. Airtel as a sidekick and Etisalat as a show of my support for their standard and competition. But MTN, heck no! I've never had that SIM anywhere any of my devices and my name never on their subscriber database.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 12:53pm On Oct 28, 2015
phrezzz:
14 u are 1 of the few SAn that write with valid points and there is truth in what u have said but not did MTN fail to disconnect unregistered sims they also dodged TAX. i quite agree $5.1b is a rediculous amount probably both parties will resolve it. as it stands mtn has 62mill nigerian subscribers and i read somewhere they were trying to pull out from SA. so people saying mtn ng will pull out from ng is like telling them to commit sucide.

@phrezz, thanks for the compliment, i try my best. I never disputed the fact they were guilty, my arguement is about the amount they were fined with, if MTN does not manage to get the reduction of such amount, they will be left with no option but to close shops.

You are right, they did not want to pull out of SA, they threatened to relocate the head office. I just forgot what the issues were, but it was just a threat, besides, almost 100% of their shareholders are south africans, so it would be very tricky if they were to do so.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by 14(m): 1:09pm On Oct 28, 2015
JBL316:
Make NCC kukuma take over MTN na, because i just dey wonder how much the company is worth.

MTN market share is $24Billion, nigerian business could be between $6B to $8Billion.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 1:10pm On Oct 28, 2015
ceaser:

Encourage indigenous, yes, but not to default tax or disobey rules of the NCC. They should equally not be spared if they err. That is bow to ensure standards are set. And sincerely in my opinion, Glo hasn't been impressive as I would want. Granted they are somewhat greenhorn compared to MTN, Etisalat and Airtel, but they should be getting some things right by now.

I had Mtel when they started and i still have their SIM pack safe as a reminder. I have Glo as my daily driver. Airtel as a sidekick and Etisalat as a show of my support for their standard and competition. But MTN, heck no! I've never had that SIM anywhere any of my devices and my name never on their subscriber database.

glo is not as good as it is due to frustration on government path as well as other countries not enabling him lay fibres.Mtn is a dirty player by all means v and out government is bribed to support .

glo has been denied seveal times licences to lay fibres to enable it better and wider coverage.
they attempted to even do so in sea/oceans but met challenges ....they haver made attmpts to get licences in other countries also, but guess they need to learn how to play hard ball like mtn ,right ? i dont work in glo but love to read

I USE AIRTEL,MTN (Which i hardly recharge :thieves!) and visafone which starts charging as soon as the persons line starts ringing (armed robbers)Am of the humble opinion that though Glo might also have goner against NCC policies (which am not aware of )Mtn has by far outshone all other mobile networks in that aspect but unfortunately for them, this government is friendly behind closed doors after you hand the brown envelop
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2015
ceaser:

You know what? I honestly don't wish MTN pulls out. They have invested much into telco and are part of the success story of telecommunication in this country. Heck I want the competition to continue but this time on a level playing field. All MTN needs to do is to fall in line and do business as it is, not as they want. At least that is how it applies in their home country and even in their operations in our next door neighbour Ghana.

They should know that financial inducements to indulge in corporate crimes will no longer apply in the telco environment in the country. So they only need to obey the rules. No one is gonna sanction 'em for obeying rules and they can even justifiably contest in court any such actions wrongly imposed on 'em.

Maybe if things go southward again - I pray not - when this current government leaves, MTN can again resume its corporate crimes that give it humongous annual earnings.

And for the records, MTN does not have the cheapest call rates in Nigeria. Globacom currently has the cheapest intra- and interconnectivity call rates of the big fours.

I dont wish MTN that also but we need to put them under control.we also need to ensure they pay all outstanding taxes which they smartly underpaid.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 1:13pm On Oct 28, 2015
14:

@phrezz, thanks for the compliment, i try my best. I never disputed the fact they were guilty, my arguement is about the amount they were fined with, if MTN does not manage to get the reduction of such amount, they will be left with no option but to close shops.

You are right, they did not want to pull out of SA, they threatened to relocate the head office. I just forgot what the issues were, but it was just a threat, besides, almost 100% of their shareholders are south africans, so it would be very tricky if they were to do so.

Am sorry to state but you are soo not aware of what Nigeria means to mtn.MTN IS NIGERIA.They will never close shop.we are their biggest market
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 1:19pm On Oct 28, 2015
14:

If its not reduced, MTN will close shops. BAD for future investments, sending the wrong message to investors. When oil price is as low as it is, Nigeria needs massive FDI's, so how will they come when seeing other foreign companies struggling with the tough regulatory invironment.

Please read this link:
http://saharareporters.com/2015/10/27/how-big-and-rich-mtn-walked-outlaw-path-52bn-fine-nigeria

All MTN need do is to just obey the rules. They already have the majority in subscriber base. What they need is honesty and dedication, not to making money alone, but also to giving value for money and satisfying the subscribers. Then they will have easy sail.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 1:26pm On Oct 28, 2015
14:

Please read this link:

http://saharareporters.com/2015/10/27/how-big-and-rich-mtn-walked-outlaw-path-52bn-fine-nigeria

The amount of fine was not arbitrary. There was a laid down method of arriving at the amount and MTN was well aware of the intricacies and the sanctions for default. Same way FirstBank and UBA were both sanctioned in a standard manner.

The only option is that MTN may negotiate with the FG/NCC for a softer landing, if not for anything but to ensure that the company is still left breathing and able to operate and thrive within the country.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 1:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
arabianights:

Am sorry to state but you are soo not aware of what Nigeria means to mtn.MTN IS NIGERIA.They will never close shop.we are their biggest market

Where did that come from? You just stole those words right outta my mind.
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 1:31pm On Oct 28, 2015
ceaser:

Where did that come from? You just stole those words right outta my mind.

shocked Could you be my long lost twin brother ? guess telepathy wink

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by arabianights: 1:36pm On Oct 28, 2015
ceaser:

Please read this link:

The amount of fine was not arbitrary. There was a laid down method of arriving at the amount and MTN was well aware of the intricacies and the sanctions for default. Same way FirstBank and UBA were both sanctioned in a standard manner.

The only option is that MTN may negotiate with the FG/NCC for a softer landing, if not for anything but to ensure that the company is still left breathing and able to operate and thrive within the country.

First Bank again!? if not for the long standing good reputation they have internationally and also strength , am sure cbn for them deal with them way more.They seem to just be looking for trouble nowadays.
fortunately for them ,most or all internationally recognised companies prefer to deal with them if at all they are to to business with partners in Nigeria.

AS for that[b] U[/b]seless [b]B[/b]ank of [b]A[/b]frica.............
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by bigtt76(f): 7:02pm On Oct 28, 2015
A beg NCC should add the unsolicited SMS and telemarketing calls as offence to all the telecoms and fine them appropriately..... me ar don taya sef angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by xtervaganza(m): 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2015
dominique:
If you're being charged for service you never subscribed for, just bear it that it's your contribution towards paying of $5bn fine. MTN subscribers una sorry o.
it shouldn't cost a sensible person anything to throw their sim away
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 29, 2015
Buhari and his employees are killing the country gradually. All this silly ball games will only scare foreign investors from investing in the country. They don't know the implication of their decisions. They just act without thinking.

MTN has been rendering poor services to its customers for years and they were never punished for that and here we are today punishing a company for an irrelevant sim registration saga that doesn't help the masses in anyway and that same masses will suffer the most after they will be deducted indiscriminately as usual just to pay a $5bn fine. Nigeria is really in a one CHANGE sorry, one CHANCE government.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 4:32am On Oct 30, 2015
arabianights:

shocked Could you be my long lost twin brother ? guess telepathy wink

grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ceaser: 5:11am On Oct 30, 2015
Unabefool:
Buhari and his employees are killing the country gradually. All this silly ball games will only scare foreign investors from investing in the country. They don't know the implication of their decisions. They just act without thinking.

MTN has been rendering poor services to its customers for years and they were never punished for that and here we are today punishing a company for an irrelevant sim registration saga that doesn't help the masses in anyway and that same masses will suffer the most after they will be deducted indiscriminately as usual just to pay a $5bn fine. Nigeria is really in a one CHANGE sorry, one CHANCE government.

Woah woah! Take it easy man. This ain't about vengeance or vindictiveness. MTN broke the rule, they pay.

SIM registration is about solving problems in Nigeria, problems that directly impact on the people and the economy. The inconveniences of the masses associated with ensuring compliance with SIM registration in any form is incomparable to the fear and unrest that comes with suicide bombings and kidnappings that prevail today.

One of the new rules of NCC is that a newly purchased SIM card should be appropriately registered with adequate biometrics (picture and fingerprints). Even then, that line must make a voice call or data activity within 24hrs of activation or else risk de-activation.

Phone activated bombs are used by BH. Tie a cheap phone to some IED. Call the phone and the vibration upon ringing sets off the charge and boom. You don't need to have the call picked, all you need is for the phone to vibrate. Hence the insistence of NCC that newly registered SIM should conduct a voice call or data within 24 hrs.

The former SGF, chief Olu Falae, was kidnapped not long ago. The perpetrators used an MTN SIM to conduct their operations. When MTN was contacted, they couldn't provide useful information because the SIM was UNREGISTERED - bollocks! two months after the deadline for registration had been met by other operators. Now that is SABOTAGE and it can be proven that MTN was an intending conspirator in the success of a crime against the state. So if MTN gets slammed 5 billion dollars to make 'em fall in line in ensuring that the security and lives if Nigerians that form their subscriber base and even the safety of the lives of the MTN expatriates 'emselves, I don't think that sanction is outrageous.

Bloomberg in my opinion is talking nonsense by saying that the recent sanction of MTN will send across a strong message to prospective investors which may reduce FDI. I call the bluff of Bloomberg and they are just being unduly sentimental cos this is done by a black nation to a white owned consortium.

Which scenario will scare investors more: To risk sanction if they fail to obey the rules of doing business in Nigeria OR risk getting dismembered by BH or kidnapped for ransom if their securities cannot be guaranteed?

JP Morgan had been sanctioned a freaking 20 (twenty) billion dollars by the US before for failing to abide by rules, Bloomberg did not opine then, neither did hell freeze over then. Heck, the outrageous amount charged by Nigerian government for licences to GSM operators in Nigeria 10 years ago did not deter Econet wireless, MTN et al from working the gold mine in Nigeria telecommunication sector, hence this 5 billion dollars deserved sanction is sure not gonna dissuade any company who knows the gold in the mine is not even close to getting reduced let alone getting depleted.

Bloomberg is crying more than the bereaved and you know what, they can shove their biased opinion right up their lower foramen or hiatus.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 30, 2015
ceaser:

Woah woah! Take it easy man. This ain't about vengeance or vindictiveness. MTN broke the rule, they pay.

SIM registration is about solving problems in Nigeria, problems that directly impact on the people and the economy. The inconveniences of the masses associated with ensuring compliance with SIM registration in any form is incomparable to the fear and unrest that comes with suicide bombings and kidnappings that prevail today.

One of the new rules of NCC is that a newly purchased SIM card should be appropriately registered with adequate biometrics (picture and fingerprints). Even then, that line must make a voice call or data activity within 24hrs of activation or else risk de-activation.

Phone activated bombs are used by BH. Tie a cheap phone to some IED. Call the phone and the vibration upon ringing sets off the charge and boom. You don't need to have the call picked, all you need is for the phone to vibrate. Hence the insistence of NCC that newly registered SIM should conduct a voice call or data within 24 hrs.

The former SGF, chief Olu Falae, was kidnapped not long ago. The perpetrators used an MTN SIM to conduct their operations. When MTN was contacted, they couldn't provide useful information because the SIM was UNREGISTERED - bollocks! two months after the deadline for registration had been met by other operators. Now that is SABOTAGE and it can be proven that MTN was an intending conspirator in the success of a crime against the state. So if MTN gets slammed 5 billion dollars to make 'em fall in line in ensuring that the security and lives if Nigerians that form their subscriber base and even the safety of the lives of the MTN expatriates 'emselves, I don't think that sanction is outrageous.

Bloomberg in my opinion is talking nonsense by saying that the recent sanction of MTN will send across a strong message to prospective investors which may reduce FDI. I call the bluff of Bloomberg and they are just being unduly sentimental cos this is done by a black nation to a white owned consortium.

Which scenario will scare investors more: To risk sanction if they fail to obey the rules of doing business in Nigeria OR risk getting dismembered by BH or kidnapped for ransom if their securities cannot be guaranteed?

JP Morgan had been sanctioned a freaking 20 (twenty) billion dollars by the US before for failing to abide by rules, Bloomberg did not opine then, neither did hell freeze over then. Heck, the outrageous amount charged by Nigerian government for licences to GSM operators in Nigeria 10 years ago did not deter Econet wireless, MTN et al from working the gold mine in Nigeria telecommunication sector, hence this 5 billion dollars deserved sanction is sure not gonna dissuade any company who knows the gold in the mine is not even close to getting reduced let alone getting depleted.

Bloomberg is crying more than the bereaved and you know what, they can shove their biased opinion right up their lower foramen or hiatus.

You really made some pionts. I not actually a MTN sympathiser or comforter and I know MTN likes breaking the rules with the feeling that they are in control and nothing will happen but we just have to see this from two angles.

The fine is just too much and may really scare investors coming in and in my opinion it is only for the selfish interest for the guys at the herm of affairs and does not benefit the masses in any way. They just want to make the whole thing look serious when it is not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

MTN SIM Registration Again! / Solution To Certificate Not On SIM Or Phone For Nokia Phones / Code For Airtel Friend And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.