Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,494 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn (37188 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / Telecom Giant, MTN Begins Payment With $250m To Nigerian Government / Cameroon Government Fines MTN $160 Million For Corruption Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by naptu2: 12:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]Nigeria fines telecom giant MTN $5bn[/size]

Bashir Sa'ad Abdullahi

BBC Africa, Abuja

Nigeria's Communications Commission, the country's telecommunications regulator, has issued mobile phone firm MTN Nigeria, with a $5bn (£3.5bn) fine for failing to disconnect subscribers with unregistered Sim cards bought before January 2012.

From that date anyone buying a Sim card in Nigeria has had to register it under their name by law.

Phone companies were told to register their existing customers' Sim cards, which MTN Nigeria - the biggest telecommunications firm in Nigeria - has failed to do.

The fine is the largest in the history of telecom infringements in Nigeria and may redefine the relationships between telecommunications operators and the regulator.

Nigerians continue to complain about poor services from mobile network operators and blame the regulators for not doing enough to solve the problem.

A senior executive at MTN Nigeria tells me that the company will issue a statement on the fine later today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-34627935?live_variant=nonjs

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by asEdeyHOT: 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
This is a good development

A clear message to businesses. You are welcome to do business in Nigeria but it should not be about profit making alone. You must provide the services that your subscribers and customers pay for.

What MTN cannot try in SA or Kenya, they do in Nigeria because successive administrations have never held them to account.

This Buhari's administration has been damn too slow but the actions are well thought out and targeted.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by iliyande(m): 1:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
grin MTN subscribers be ready to pay for the fine, grin

cheesy MTN will make sure they deduct the money from your daily recharge to pay for the fine cheesy

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by naptu2: 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]MTN Nigeria fined $5.2 billion[/size]

13 minutes ago // Africa⁠ | MTN Nigeria fined $5.2 billion

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has issued a landmark fine of N1.04 trillion ($5.2bn) against MTN Nigeria, the largest mobile network operator in the country for failing to disconnect subscribers with unregistered and incomplete subscriber identification modules (SIM) cards within the stipulated time.

The fine which is the largest in the history of telecom infringements may redefine the relationships between telecommunications operators and the regulator. Technology Times which broke the story last night said NCC fined MTN Nigeria "for allegedly undermining efforts by the Nigerian government to tackle security challenges and the war on terror and allied crimes, as the telecoms operator has allegedly refused to deactivate unregistered mobile phone lines on its network".

A top official of MTN Nigeria who is not authorised to speak on the matter however confirmed to LEADERSHIP that NCC truly issued the fine against MTN Nigeria. The official said "This fine is unprecedented in the history of Nigeria. The amount is even bigger than the entire budget of the Federal Government of Nigeria. It is enough to make the operator close its operations in the country."

Another top telecom official in the industry also questioned the motive behind this gargantuan fine said the highest fine ever fined an operator in the country is N200 million. Last Thursday, MTN Group had announced that its Nigerian operation lost 5.1 million subscriber lines in the month of August to the deactivation of incomplete SIM registrations ordered by NCC. This has led to MTN cutting its full-year forecast for subscriber numbers.

Nik Kershaw, MTN Group spokesman confirmed that MTN Nigeria is also facing "ongoing regulatory restrictions" related to its market-leading position in Africa's most populous country. About 3.4 million of the customers have been reconnected, the company said.

While the loss of Nigerian customers is a short-term setback, "it does point to a tough regulatory environment," Steve Minnaar, a money-manager at Cape Town-based Abax Investment, said by phone according to agency reports. "They have been struggling with the regulator for many years in the Nigerian environment."

Efforts to reach Mr. Tony Ojobo, director of Public Affairs NCC failed as calls to his phone line were not picked. LEADERSHIP learnt that MTN Nigeria will issue an official statement on the matter today (Monday).

In August, MTN, Airtel, Glo and Etisalat, the four leading mobile operators in the country took their subscribers by surprise deactivating all lines with unregistered or improperly registered mobile subscriber data on their networks. This has resulted in a deluge of crowds at the various services centres of the operators round the country.

Mr. Idehen Efosa, head of enforcement and monitory department of Nigerian Communications Commssions (NCC), the nation's telecom regulator informed LEADERSHIP that out of the 37.79 million lines, Etisalat had 19.46 million improperly registered lines followed by MTN with 18.6 million lines. Airtel has 7.4 million lines while Glo has 2.33 million lines only.

The order to deactivate the lines followed a meeting between Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Department of State Service (DSS), the network operators and the NCC to examine the security threats posed by unregistered SIMs. Thereafter, the NCC handed down a seven day ultimatum starting from August 4, 2015 to GSM operators to deactivate unregistered subscriber identification modules (SIMs) with invalidity status.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/africa/438043-mtn-nigeria-fined-5-2-billion.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by bandely(m): 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
Even though I'm not happy with MTN, this fine is rather too much. I hope they'll reach some sort of agreement for a lower fine.
MTN shouldn't try to take it out on customers though, because I know they are shylock, Hades and the Devil rolled into one! >:-

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by dominique(f): 1:09pm On Oct 26, 2015
If you're being charged for service you never subscribed for, just bear it that it's your contribution towards paying of $5bn fine. MTN subscribers una sorry o.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by naptu2: 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]South Africa's MTN shares fall 5 pct on report of Nigeria fine[/size]

Mon Oct 26, 2015 | 7:25 AM EDT

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters)
- Shares in South Africa's MTN dropped more than 5 percent on Monday after an unconfirmed report in Nigeria said the mobile phone firm's Nigerian unit could face a fine of as much as $5.2 billion, traders said.

MTN declined to comment on the matter.

"The report is definitely the reason why it is moving. We just don't know how credible it is," said Petri Redelinghuys, a trader at Inkhunzi Investments in Johannesburg.

A second trader confirmed the share was falling as a result of the report.

Chris Maroleng, the Johannesburg-based spokesman for Africa's largest mobile operator, declined to comment.

The unconfirmed online report by Nigeria's Leadership newspaper said MTN was fined by the Nigerian Communications Commission for failing to disconnect subscribers with unregistered and incomplete SIM cards.

MTN was trading 5.32 percent at 180.80 rand by 1109 GMT.

http://mobile.reuters.com/regional/article/idAFKCN0SK19H20151026?edition=af
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by januzaj(m): 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
good
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by chuks1223: 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
Video: Different Between An American And Nigerian Burial
Watch below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHzm58KbwI

Please subscribe to my channel for more funny videos thanks
source:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bVQWZpxJwKiUV9mO8mBzQ

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by MrPresident1: 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
shocked
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by lekjons(m): 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
they weren't fined for maltreating their customers, but because of incomplete registration of sims, how does that help an average Nigerian..

nonsense!angry

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Alpha100(m): 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
Holy hell!!!
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
Well Nigeria; but my glo sim which i did not register is still active so why did Nigeria fined only MTN?

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by hyfr(m): 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
What's the problem with mtn and the number 5? Recently they lost 5 million customers and now they're fined 5billion. NCC, $5 billion is way too much money for what they did. This NCC guys are seriously on a plan to buy house in banana island this year. Please mtn users, don't ever dial this code (*606#) until the debt has been paid. Remaining DSTV

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by damiloladuke: 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
MTN own don cast.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by MrPresident1: 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
cheesy
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by rozayx5(m): 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
iliyande:
grin MTN subscribers be ready to pay for the fine, grin

:DMTN will make sure they deduct the money from your daily recharge to pay for the fine cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by zizirecords(m): 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
Oh my God! See me dancing! MTN just stole 8000NGN credit from my phone last week with no adequate redress even when I called them several times.

God catch them. Steal 8000NGN, repay 5 billion. tongue tongue grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=15pt]God don dey catch them; remaining DSTV. Abeg who dey sanction TV companies??[/size]

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by macaranta(m): 1:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
Who will take the money?that fine is much jare

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by scholes0(m): 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
On top what naaa .....
Anyways, we need to encourage and patronize Adenuga's GLO.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by ril19(m): 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
N1.4trillion? e be like say naija wan use dat one for 2016 budget.

in other news, me think that empty hen has started slashing n stealing our money to make up the N4t.

i was just chilling with loved ones last week thursday when i got an sms which reads "you have successfully subscribed to CNN news. N50 has been deducted". Hmm! I swear i wasn't even using the phone then coz it was on the table. Well i immediately did the needful and one ms. Adeola picked up. She told me nothing could be done so i asked to be deactivated. Since that day i didn't receive any CNN news. i hung up but not before telling her to use the stolen N50 to buy herself a bottle of coke.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by adeoba2008(m): 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
Gbam. Lack of customer centricity is killing MTN gradually. I rest my case. Court !!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by akpumping7720(m): 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
Nice one jare..... They deserve it o jare. Once instruction is been passed you have to obey. There is a new Sheriff in town! Every sector must be up and doing

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by datguru: 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
Good new
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by MSItachi: 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
That's the final blow

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by kennyman2000(m): 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
Gooooooooooddddd
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by gamaliel121(m): 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
Nice oneeeeee
Re: Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn by omusiliyu(m): 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2015
The NCC is high on Osogbo weed

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Z30 Or S4? / Jack Dorsey Launches Bluesky Social, New Social Network / Code For Airtel Friend And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.