Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,040 members, 7,810,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN (40823 Views)

Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. / How To Subscribe To MTN Unlimited Data For 150 Naira A Day / Mtn To Mtn Free Call And Data. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by dhantey324(m): 9:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
Spot on.
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by gcof(m): 9:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
i still wonder who the fine goes to, if millions of customers that were maltreated will have a share
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by coolboma: 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
I don't usually do this, but I'm forced to comment today. Nigeria won't develop until we start enforcing laws, not just on individuals, but also on organizations. I don't see this from the perspective of 'it's payback time from MTN', but from a view of let the laws of the land be enforced. You can't say u're breaking laws that were made for Nigerians just to help Nigerians. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Do you know how much BP paid for the Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? And that's because an individual, a staff, warned BP. In this case, a whole country warned MTN, yet, they refused to abide by it. Can MTN do this in a developed country and go away with it? If this goes unpunished, why won't another firm do the same, it's going to be a precedence to throw our laws and regulations on our face. If you let this go, the world will ridicule the strength of our laws. I will laugh at this country, even you should laugh at this country, cos it will be a joke. Let the law take its course.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by vjsmiles: 9:44pm On Oct 30, 2015
read my story.. my adventures and travail while in Asia https://www.nairaland.com/2694410/sojourn-into-cool-serene-country
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by vjsmiles: 9:44pm On Oct 30, 2015
read my story.. my adventures and travail while in Asia https://www.nairaland.com/2694410/sojourn-into-cool-serene-country
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by teeboila(m): 9:45pm On Oct 30, 2015
i purchase the mtn sim i'm using on my phone right now @ 10k in 2004 even if they fine them 2trillion naira i'm happy with it. they've ripped us off for too long, a reasonable fine too let them know they're not invincible is okay by me because other network providers deactivate their unregistered sims why can't mtn do likewise......they should pay up or sell their license to other network provider ready to give quality service.

1 Like

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by MrMcJay(m): 9:48pm On Oct 30, 2015
OP, spare us your lamentations.

The Johannesburg Stock Exchange is currently investigating MTN for insider trading related to this fine. In other words, MTN fat cats made money from this issue.

www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/10/s-africa-launches-insider-trading-probe-over-mtns-nigeria-fine/
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by MrMcJay(m): 9:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
coolboma:
I don't usually do this, but I'm forced to comment today. Nigeria won't develop until we start enforcing laws, not just on individuals, but also on organizations. I don't see this from the perspective of 'it's payback time from MTN', but from a view of let the laws of the land be enforced. You can't say u're breaking laws that were made for Nigerians just to help Nigerians. 2 wrongs don't make a right. Do you know how much BP paid for the Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? And that's because an individual, a staff, warned BP. In this case, a whole country warned MTN, yet, they refused to abide by it. Can MTN do this is a developed country and go away with it? If this goes unpunished, why won't another firm do the same, it's going to be a precedence to throw our laws and regulations on our face. If you let this go, the world will ridicule the strength of our laws. I will laugh at this country, even you should laugh at this country, cos it will be a joke. Let the law take it's course.

Bro, very early on Monday morning, I dey carry you go breweries. One truck of whatever brand of drink you take would be given you. I too gbadun your post.

Don't mind the clowns. If MTN goes today, more than 5 companies are willing to take their place.
No individual or corporate body should ever dare the government.

2 Likes

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Horus(m): 9:52pm On Oct 30, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gl3_b8NNg

[size=15pt]MTN group fined $5.2 billion by Nigeria Communication Commission over unregistered SIMs[/size]

1 Like

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by coolboma: 9:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
teeboila:
i purchase the mtn sim i'm using on my phone right now @ 10k in 2004 even if they fine them 2trillion naira i'm happy with it. they've ripped us off for too long, a reasonable fine too let them know they're not invincible is okay by me because other network providers deactivate their unregistered sims why can't mtn do likewise......they should pay up or sell their license to other network provider ready to give quality service.
Please, I want to ask, U don't like MTN cos u bought ur SIM for 10K or because they've been ripping 'you' off or the two?
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by coolboma: 9:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
MrMcJay:

Bro, very early on Monday morning, I dey carry you go breweries. One truck of whatever brand of drink you take would be given you. I too gbadun your post.

Don't mind the clowns. If MTN goes today, more than 5 companies are willing to take their place.
No individual or corporate body should ever dare the government.
Coincidentally, I work in a Brewery, so I'll be the one to dash you beer.....lol...'WE LOVE BEER'
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by MrMcJay(m): 10:05pm On Oct 30, 2015
coolboma:
Coincidentally, I work in a Brewery, so I'll be the one to dash you beer.....lol...'WE LOVE BEER'

Lol. Good to hear!

I'll tell the chaps at MTN to use the 5B USD to buy drinks for Nigerians if they can't pay the fine. So, if you see some chaps in Y'hello just by your office gate, it's the Billion dollar guys turning up!
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by coolboma: 10:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
MrMcJay:

Lol. Good to hear!

I'll tell the chaps at MTN to use the 5B USD to buy drinks for Nigerians if they can't pay the fine. So, if you see some chaps in Y'hello just by your office gate, it's the Billion dollar guys turning up!
Hehehe....
For clarification sake, so that the Y'hello Chaps won't take our 5B USD to a wrong brewery, ours is Nigerian Breweries PLC, makers of the best and finest brands in Nigeria....I guess Heineken, Star, Gulder, Legend, Star Radler, Climax etc need no introduction...........some PR, shey? Na so.
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Caracta(f): 10:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
How much is 1.4trn? We can contribute for them. OP, set the ball rolling please.

Donations please! We don't need to set up a committee. We can do it!

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by ymme01: 10:48pm On Oct 30, 2015
A friend told me about this, since i dont have anything to lose by trying ( i'm not paying anything to register), i have tried it. You may want to try it too... too much income no dey hurt oooo.
Pls open the link as it appear http://PayTaski.com/?ref=35642 after opening it, register for free and you will automatically get $25 when u register.
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by ogbonnajude507: 12:00am On Oct 31, 2015
Mtn has been a scam company from time immemorial the same SIM card that is sold for 100 naira now is what they sold to us for 30,000 naira when they first started business,they made us to believe per second billing was not possible just like somebody commented before,now they are violating our laws and policy because they believe they gave us the life we are living.it is high time we started doing the right thing in this country,the rate at which violate law and order we can't do it in other developed country,imagine u beating common traffic light in d UK or over speeding or u fail to pay your utility bill as at when due,imagine when u will be made to go through,u will be jailed before asking u to pay an outrageous fine.we must stand up for the right course if we want to move forward.my take is that mtn should pay their fine or sell their to another company,Volkswagen in Germany and ge motors in America made an error in some of the car produced they were made to pay we must not be an exception.

1 Like

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Nobody: 12:05am On Oct 31, 2015
Dont care what y'all say or what NCC does.All I can say with pride is 'MTN IS THE BEST TELCOM COMPANY IN NIGERIA'..if you think otherwise and ur still using an mtn sim,sorry to say but ur more 2-faced than a mythical bicephalic human.Why not just break the sim and never return to it again.Or dont you want 'peace' since mtn is 'stealing' from you.You can port to whatever network that you think will pay your bills for you since humans are in no way satisfied in this world.I dont Even Wanna go ahead with my negative lamentations of what Glo is doing to me.as for etisalat and airtel,i dumped them years ago.Those complaining of mtn are those who normally look away when someone does something good for them.Anyway,no one can please everybody in this world sha.

2 Likes

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Etfash(m): 1:40am On Oct 31, 2015
In my opinion, emotional attachment should be avoided here. MTN has been in Nigeria for more than 10 years; they have also been breaking even ever since. So, if they cannot afford the fine, let them go to court or sell off their facilities in Nigeria. It is business!

I don't see any reason for the sentiments. Do you call or browse for free as an MTN subscriber? Are you responsible for their predicament? How many times has MTN waived a loan for you? These guys are capitalists... let them sort themselves out with NCC.

Lastly, for those asking where the money will go, well, this year, NCC might just compete favorably with CUSTOMS and FIRS in terms of revenue generation. This will help the FG achieve some of its objectives and also improve the lives of NCC staff.

2 Likes

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Bollove: 2:15am On Oct 31, 2015
@ Princedapace, That is the reason why Nigeria is not progressing because we have no regard for rules.
MTN should have abided by the directive of NCC, Nigerian Company would be lashed more than 1.4t if she should violate the directive of Govt of ZA.

MTN is about to be thought a bitter lesson which will send direct signals to all businesses in Nigeria that they should never take our country and her government for granted ....

I love MTN and I have two MTN simcards , one for call and one for browsing ....... I never care about their tariffs , all I want is my calls to be connected and internet connected and faster.

no doubt they are my best and the best network in Nigeria but they violated the directive of our Government, they should face the music.
I know I have started paying higher tariff now but verily NCC will still intervene on their tariff increment.

MTN need to learn that it ain't business as usual, the era of impunity is over as far as Buhari is concern.

1 Like

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by symbianDON(m): 6:49am On Oct 31, 2015
emekachimek:
MTN grossly disrespected the directives of the NCC and they must pay the penalty for that. They impoverished Nigerians when they first came to Nigeria. How could they sell one SIM card for #30,000? As if that wasn't enough, you gat to recharge #1,500 every 2 weeks whether you make calls or not. As if that still wasn't enough, they told us per second billing wasn't possible then but as
soon as GLO came and gave us per second billing, MTN remembered it was possible. This is the time for payback! I wish Nigerians will directly reap from this sanction
OP, I guess you were not yet born when all these history I gave happened
thank you bros!!! op is wailing heavily for mtn that really doesn't care about nigerians...they are more interested in huge profits at the expense of nigerians. make them pay the money. we need am pass them. twice, when they ripped me off dem no know say na so e go end. imagine!!! make una help me judge: i load credit for night before i sleep....i no make call o. i wake next morning to call, na so that yeye gal for mtn begin tell me say, sorry your account is too low to make dis call! shooooo?? na play? i check fone....my 3k credit don cut out! sharply, i call customer care....dem apologise o but til as i dey type so my credit stil never show. another time i subscribe 2k5 for day and nite data. as my 4.5gb enter na so i start browse. i never browse reach 30mins, the thing no gree browse again. wetin naa? i check data balance.....na zero mb de there. i shout Chineke meeee! quick i don call customer care...na so so grammar de gal de talk. i cut am call them again...the next one too de talk say nothing de can do...say na android i de use? i say no na nokia....she just use style dismiss me. the thing pain me reach bone....na so i curse mtn....so on behalf of me and others wey mtn don de cheat since 2000bc.....make una (mtn) jeje go pay de fine..... tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue angry angry angry angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by yomalex(m): 7:19am On Oct 31, 2015
you just wonder
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by HawksDude(m): 7:20am On Oct 31, 2015
You have a point.
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by demarc001: 7:20am On Oct 31, 2015
Shoro niyen?
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by bliscom: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2015
I dont know where this dude got his facts from but they are completely out of context. All operators were given deadline and MTN decided to ignore them because they are used to old system that allowed them to get away. NCC spelt out the fine and reminder messages were sent to all operators. Any where in the world there are rules and if you ignore the rule then you must be ready to dance the music.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by goshen26: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2015
Its really unfair oooo

By d time telecommunication giant like mtn pack their load n leave they know the essence of funny policy like this
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Holuwakemmy16(f): 7:24am On Oct 31, 2015
Spare me this,is too long when is not 3units course.

1 Like

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by frankman365(m): 7:26am On Oct 31, 2015
Princedapace:
Dear Nigerians, each time I read comments regarding this MTN penalty madness by NCC, I end up wondering if most of the comments were just for fun or realistic opinion of the commentators both on Nairaland and other top social sites. The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC slammed a N1.4 trillion penalty on MTN Nigeria for failure to disconnect customers with unregistered SIM cards. That fine is outrageous please! We have to stop the sentiments. I don't see MTN paying that huge amount of money. They have given reasons why they were reluctant with the SIM card deactivation thing which I believe is credible and reasonable enough.

We should not forget that MTN has the largest data base of users in Nigeria and they care so much about their customers more than the unfriendly policy.
They wanted a gradual process to the issue which favoured their customers more. Trust most Nigerians, registration of our SIM has always been an issue because of our 'attitudes'. MTN even called some customers, pleaded on many of them and even used free bonuses to encourage subscribers to register and update their SIM but many still refused. That's how we roll in Nigeria smiley Now, deactivating those SIMs would have resulted to severe difficulties for users who had genuine reasons for their inability to update their account.
Yes, MTN violated the law but justice can be tampered with mercy. MTN has done so much for this country: from infrastructural development to massive man power empowerment and development. From educational development to massive entertainment industry boost, in summary, MTN corporate social responsibility programmes are highly commendable and among the best in this country. MTN has changed lives in this country: many people can pay their bills because of this same company. MTN has done so much for us and should be respected please.Their (MTN) investments in the telecom sector have affected other telecom giants positively. This embarrassment against MTN should stop please. MTN is not like all these Indian and Lebanese companies that reserve most juicy management positions for their own citizens only, MTN pays their direct workers (Nigerians) very well unlike most of these foreign companies operating in Nigeria i.e ISON BPO. Top management players in MTN Nigeria are Nigerians. I strongly believe they should be respected and the large data
base and services the company operates here in Nigeria should be considered too. It's not easy to adhere to such rule while having such data base like that of MTN.
For those calling for MTN to leave
I laugh in Chinese and Zulusmiley Yes, if MTN leaves Nigeria, it will surely affect the company heavily but we will suffer it more. Our economy will suffer and unemployment will rise. You are calling on Nigerians to port to Glo and others: wait until any of these telecom companies handle the number of subscribers MTN is currently handling, then you will appreciate MTN better...I can bet you, many of them will collapse! They will not be able to handle such huge traffic.
Those of you calling MTN names
Can you count how many times you have cheated MTN to browse for free? Do you think the infrastructures used for internet services are bought for free? Do you think it is easy to maintain a business in the Nigerian environment with poor power and transportation sectors? Think again please! Don't ever forget that you benefit from MTN directly or indirectly. For those of you crying about MTN promo, did MTN force you into any promo? And most of us don't read terms and conditions of these services and promo from MTN and others.
MTN does not force you to subscribe to any of her services. Yeah, some marketing strategies are deployed to lure customers into certain services but it's still left for you to opt-in and opt-out. I can beat my chest to say that since 2009 I started using MTN line, I have never experienced any reason to accuse them of stealing. I rather say thank you to MTN than accuse MTN of stealing from me. Subscribers make the mistake of subscribing for one service or the other and finally accuse MTN of stealing from them. Some subscribers leave their app running on the background while their airtime gets deducted and they blame it on MTN. You're asking DSTV to leave as if it is DSTV that's working against an indigenous company from doing well in the same market. We complain about MTN and we still don't want to leave them, why? Other telecom companies should compete well with MTN or is it MTN that prevented Glo from taking over other African countries? MTN remains the best network in Nigeria and Africa, take it or leave it. The company should be respected and appreciated too. At least, they accepted to invest in the Nigerian telecom industry back then when other companies where shying away from Nigeria. They made the sector attractive. They made the industry lucrative, they believed in Nigeria when others didn't. I love MTN with my whole heart. Please, we should empathize with them instead of slamming them.
http://iamkingsleyokoro..com.ng/2015/10/ncc-fines-mtn-nigeria.html
You have forgotten that unregisterred sim cards are used by criminal elements and so there was the need to give a deadline for registration. The fine is big but they say it is #200 or sometime like that per sim card. Make they pay sharp sharp abeg
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by ibkgab001: 7:26am On Oct 31, 2015
Is thier any law that says borrowed credit should be vanish after 15 minutes if you don't use it ?

1 Like

Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by Adesiji77: 7:26am On Oct 31, 2015
In other words, MTN has been fair to Nigerians?

I reserve my comments...for now
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by hotgunz(m): 7:28am On Oct 31, 2015
Mayb u never heard ds dat Indians re taken over MTN com never year.....
Re: We Nigerians Are Unfair To MTN by amnesty7: 7:28am On Oct 31, 2015
No need to even read this opinion. I can't spend a dime on MTN the Dupe. Afterall, it doesn't need me to survive. It's so cool to have competent alternatives cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nokia 8110 4G Accepts Whatsapp Now - AKA banana phone / Its Bye Bye To Blackberry OS - Say Hello To Blackberry 2nd Android Phone / Effects Of Charging Phones With Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.