Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,103 members, 7,953,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:57 PM

Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? (42264 Views)

Investor Stakes $450 Million On New Free Trade Zone, To Build Ships In Nigeria / 32 Ships Laden With Petroleum Products, Food Items, To Arrive Lagos Ports / Amazon Now Ships Any Item To Nigeria And Kenya - No Third Party Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 8:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
Abagworo:

All these things won't work mainly because of our hostile neighbours. There is this belief in cutting their tail before they go out of hand amongst them. Only in collaboration with Northerners can this be achieved as they can easily have their way in whatever threats posed by communities along the banks.
We don't need the Abokis before we execute plan that will benefit our region.

What Good have they (abokis) done for SE or the nation? Nothing

16 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 8:50pm On Oct 30, 2015
Abagworo:

All these things won't work mainly because of our hostile neighbours. There is this belief in cutting their tail before they go out of hand amongst them. Only in collaboration with Northerners can this be achieved as they can easily have their way in whatever threats posed by communities along the banks.

What do you mean?

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 8:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
And of course, but Ikwere...

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 8:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:
Vicotex post=39528747

Good analysis, but if Aligbo is it's own country, or even not, northerners cannot block the upstream flow of the Niger, or at least, that would be met with international resistance.

Why?
You know those our loud mouthed neighbours that always shout "AWA OYEL", if you choose this Asaba route, they will start shouting "AWA LAND" and their youth will start demanding compensation from every ship that is passing throug that Community/area

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by biafranking: 8:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
Adminisher:

Ibo land will never prosper the way you people are configured. It is a mental thing. A wall. Look at the emptiness in this exercise. Very pathetic. You have pulled a map , drawn lines and insulted Akwa Ibom people and maybe some Ogonis. What do they put in your food that make you reason like soulless robotic automatons?. Please get serious and stop parochial rubbish. I wish your evil ugly named Republic still birth. There is no place for it in God's creation and you know it.
make una ignore this iddiot na..
I dey feel una wella. Pls ride on..

from the look of things here, dredging of imo river is possible and very possible. All i know is that, there is a way to every problems on earth.
the existence of biafra will enable all these dreams and wishes come to realty.

Ndi chukwu goziri agozi
ndi chukwu tere nmanu
Ayi di too much..
Ezeagu thanx for opening this thread.

21 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 9:01pm On Oct 30, 2015
Projects In Abia State: 

Proposed-

Obuaku Seaport Construction: It is in the Obuaku, Ukwa West LGA, and the site lies by the Azumini River that flows into the Atlantic Ocean. And what is more, since it is just five nautical miles from the Ocean it qualifies technically as a seaport, not a river port, going by the UN’s laws. Right in Obuaku, there is a confluence point where the Imo River and the Blue River meet. The Obuaku confluence passes through Ikot-Abasi in Akwa Ibom State. This project IF achieved will open up the manufacturing and commercial sector of Abia to the entire world. Potential Contractors: NORINCO

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 9:01pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:
And of course, but Ikwere...

better

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Emekamex(m): 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nice thread, this is s welcomed idea but a few things need to be done first; we have to work with communites along that coastal line as well as states through which this river passes; the second challenge is source of funding.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
Vicotex:

You know those our loud mouthed neighbours that always shout "AWA OYEL", if you choose this Asaba route, they will start shouting "AWA LAND" and their youth will start demanding compensation from every ship that is passing throug that Community/area

I suspected that, plus militancy and piracy would ravage that secluded area. Oh well, that's why I think Imo is the saving grace because it's close enough, near more friendlier neighbours (Ibibio, Ogoni, Igbo speaking Opobo community), near enough Port Harcourt (or Igwu Ocha) and can be patrolled easier.

9 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
Projects In Abia State:

Proposed-

Obuaku Seaport Construction: It is in the Obuaku, Ukwa West LGA, and the site lies by the Azumini River that flows into the Atlantic Ocean. And what is more, since it is just five nautical miles from the Ocean it qualifies technically as a seaport, not a river port, going by the UN’s laws. Right in Obuaku, there is a confluence point where the Imo River and the Blue River meet. The Obuaku confluence passes through Ikot-Abasi in Akwa Ibom State. This project IF achieved will open up the manufacturing and commercial sector of Abia to the entire world. Potential Contractors: NORINCO
When was this article written?
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 9:04pm On Oct 30, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
Projects In Abia State: 

Proposed-

Where is Obuaku, because 5 nautical miles is like Ikot Abasi in Akwa Ibom which is far away from the "south east" (Alaigbo).

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 9:05pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

I suspected that, plus militancy and piracy would ravage that secluded area. Oh well, that's why I think Imo is the saving grace because it's close enough, near more friendlier neighbours (Ibibio, Ogoni, Igbo speaking Opobo community), near enough Port Harcourt (or Igwu Ocha) and can be patrolled easier.
yeah
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 9:05pm On Oct 30, 2015
Vicotex:
better

But Ikwere...

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 9:08pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

Where is Obuaku, because 5 nautical miles is like Ikot Abasi in Akwa Ibom which is far away from the "south east" (Alaigbo).

Determined to remove Abia State  from its landlocked status  and enhance economic and commercial activities   the state government has concluded plans to build  its own  seaport.

The decision to build the seaport which  is to be located  at Obuaku in Ukwa West local  government is coming on the heels of government’s announcement that plans  are in top gear to  build an airport in the state.

Commissioner for information   and   strategy, Dr Eze Chikamnayo who disclosed this after the last state executive   council meeting in Umuahia  said the two projects would be executed  simultaneously.

The sea port which will be the first in the South East geopolitical zone would help importers  and exporter from  the   state carry out their business with more ease and  reduce the distance they have to travel to clear  their goods.

The  sea port he added would also create employment for the teeming unemployed youths in the state both skilled and unskilled.

Defending   the location of the seaport,   he said that  unlike Port Harcourt  Sea port which is about 10 miles from Port Harcourt City, the proposed Obuaku seaport is less than five miles to the Atlantic Ocean. 

The commissioner said that already   a committee has been set up to see to the development of  the seaport which will  see Governor Theodore Orji emerging as the first governor in the South East to build a sea port.

On the air port project, he said that   an appropriate site had been  acquired cutting across Ikwuano and Umuahia south local government areas covering an  area of 24 square miles.
www.leadership.ng/news/251213/abia-set-build-sea-port

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 9:10pm On Oct 30, 2015
Vicotex:

Determined to remove Abia State  from its landlocked status  and enhance economic and commercial activities   the state government has concluded plans to build  its own  seaport.

The decision to build the seaport which  is to be located  at Obuaku in Ukwa West local  government is coming on the heels of government’s announcement that plans  are in top gear to  build an airport in the state.

Commissioner for information   and   strategy, Dr Eze Chikamnayo who disclosed this after the last state executive   council meeting in Umuahia  said the two projects would be executed  simultaneously.

The sea port which will be the first in the South East geopolitical zone would help importers  and exporter from  the   state carry out their business with more ease and  reduce the distance they have to travel to clear  their goods.

The  sea port he added would also create employment for the teeming unemployed youths in the state both skilled and unskilled.

Defending   the location of the seaport,   he said that  unlike Port Harcourt  Sea port which is about 10 miles from Port Harcourt City, the proposed Obuaku seaport is less than five miles to the Atlantic Ocean. 

The commissioner said that already   a committee has been set up to see to the development of  the seaport which will  see Governor Theodore Orji emerging as the first governor in the South East to build a sea port.

On the air port project, he said that   an appropriate site had been  acquired cutting across Ikwuano and Umuahia south local government areas covering an  area of 24 square miles.
www.leadership.ng/news/251213/abia-set-build-sea-port

Could it be that they are wrong? Because Ukwa East is north of Port Harcourt, so how can it be closer to the sea?

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 9:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
and why should the nigerians allow you do that through their areas to the ocean??...is the river, no mans river,to you now too...??..una reasoning dont make sense.....

nigeria will boycott you completly and deny to make any agreements with you about the river...every african nation will boycott you,...even oau....

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by ezeagu(m): 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
tsdarkside:

and why should the nigerians allow you do that through their areas to the ocean??...is the river, no mans river,to you now too...??..una reasoning dont make sense.....

nigeria will boycott you completly and deny to make any agreements with you about the river...every african nation will boycott you,...even oau....

And will this be before or after the peoples of the delta form their own countries?

9 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
tsdarkside:

you have been noticed, now you get lost

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 9:20pm On Oct 30, 2015
Vicotex:
you have been noticed, now you get lost

i am my brothers keeper!!!...its my right to warn my brothers about a dangerous plans....
and you can not send me away.....i have the right to be on nairaland,and write my opinion.... angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Omololu007(m): 9:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
Vicotex:

The commissioner said that already   a committee has been set up to see to the development of  the seaport which will  see Governor Theodore Orji emerging as the first governor in the South East to build a sea port.t
so shey orji commision the project before his 8year tenure end?

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Abagworo(m): 9:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
ezeagu:

What do you mean?

I wouldn't want to expantiate because of inability of most Igbos to understand their neighbours.

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by zuchyblink(m): 9:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
tsdarkside:

it is not possible,do it and face sanctions. There is also freedom of navigation
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by zuchyblink(m): 9:57pm On Oct 30, 2015
Freedom of navigation (FON), is a principle of customary international law that, apart from the exceptions provided for in international law, ships flying the flag of any sovereign state shall not suffer interference from other states.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by fx45(m): 9:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
Adminisher:
Ibo land will never prosper the way you people are configured. It is a mental thing. A wall. Look at the emptiness in this exercise. Very pathetic. You have pulled a map , drawn lines and insulted Akwa Ibom people and maybe some Ogonis. What do they put in your food that make you reason like soulless robotic automatons?. Please get serious and stop parochial rubbish. I wish your evil ugly named Republic still birth. There is no place for it in God's creation and you know it.
I guess you were so blinded with hate that you didn't see where someone suggested cooperation with AKSG and RVSG. My friend you really need help. Igbos are not your problem. They're brainstorming on how to better Igboland and you're bitter and restless. Why?

Go and look for ways of improving the quality and standard of living for your people in the Southwest.

11 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by kingzizzy: 10:13pm On Oct 30, 2015
Adminisher:

Really? But what is in Gods creation is for a British armed robber called Frederick Lugard to come to west Africa, beat up, shoot, kill your ancestors and basterdise them with a foreign name "Nigerian" in other to loot their resources and return to Britain a very wealthy man.

Baboon

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by 400billionman: 10:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
relchange:
there is no SE governor with that type of sense, foresight, love for Igbo, or even vision to see this through
they are all hausa slaves

Have they finished paying staff salaries. ?

But its only Akwa Ibom state that has enough money to handle sich project. So whats the benefit of TINAPA in CRS ?
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Abia1son: 10:37pm On Oct 30, 2015
Apart from the one in ukwa east,abia has some large body water that into the sea,for instant the calabar itu flow direact to arochukwu ohafia abiriba axias

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 10:41pm On Oct 30, 2015
zuchyblink:
it is not possible,do it and face sanctions. There is also freedom of navigation

now...you are writing rubbish....i can deny you access into my house....since when did this natural rule changed??...

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Oct 30, 2015
zuchyblink:
we can support our government to achieve this. We can call on our brothers living outside Nigeria for help. I'm ready to give my one month salary to make sure that SE has access to the sea.
Imo airport was built by the people of Imo state,almost everyone contributed even little kids to make Imo airport a reality.

True that.

I second the contributory option. Count me and my family in!
The Apapa thieves have finished me. They even steal ordinary CDs and vehicle spear tyres angry . Who does that in 21st century?

And it seem there is a calculated plan to overcharge people in Onne...so many un receipted "charges" there!

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by itstpia8: 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2015
Euro31:
that's their destiny

how so?
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
400billionman:

Have they finished paying staff salaries. ?

But its only Akwa Ibom state that has enough money to handle sich project. So whats the benefit of TINAPA in CRS ?

I understand Calabar seaport is not functioning - thanks to OBJ, I was told.

TINAPA resort seem to be dying down - last I was there no much economic activity - a big shame.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
zuchyblink:
Freedom of navigation (FON), is a principle
of customary international law that, apart
from the exceptions provided for in
international law, ships flying the flag of
any sovereign state shall not suffer
interference from other states.

You have made my day with this!
Thanks!
Ndigbo nwe mmadu!

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Which Bank ATM Works For International Transaction / Hawkers Fight Dirty On Lagos Ibadan Express Road Over Customer / Why New Naira Notes Are Scarce – CBN Sources

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.