Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? (41363 Views)

Investor Stakes $450 Million On New Free Trade Zone, To Build Ships In Nigeria / 32 Ships Laden With Petroleum Products, Food Items, To Arrive Lagos Ports / Amazon Now Ships Any Item To Nigeria And Kenya - No Third Party Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 31, 2015
kingzizzy:

Unfortunately, no one can lay claim to the rivers, even if it passes through their lands. You said they might dam the River? Under international law, no country with access to the sea can be denied that access. Someone also said said something about bridges. There is something that people are forgetting. Using the river Thames as an example. There are several river ports along the Thames especially in London but rarely do you see Big ships plying it. So how do all the containers get in and how do they leave? The answer is badges! Some of these badges can carry hundreds of containers at a time. Large ships do not necessarily not have to ply the entire length of the River, they only have to get to a certain point then discharge their contents on to badges that will now take it to the River ports to be craned off.

I also believe that a sea port can be built in Obuaku Abia state because it is almost as close to the sea as Portharcourt
thats what am saying check my earlier posts, me I don't want to put my hope on anybody but myself so that they wont dissapoint me, our forefathers already made the mistakes we the descendants wont repeat it.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by tsdarkside(m): 8:14am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:
One Nigeria till I die.
One day igbo land would shake Africa, the civil war was our own temptation and our most trying time we are over coming it and would soon over come it and all its stigmas, one day Nigerians won't be threatened by igbo people its the west that would be, we would show them that God blessed Black people not only with strength but also with brains, we too can launch rockets to the moon we too can build submaries and have structures that can touch the sky. Time shall tell, world power moved from Europe to America very soon power would this world power would move to Nigeria and one day Nigeria would seat as one of the leaders of the G8, I believe.

thats it!!!...it was nice contemplating with you...i learned something...thank you.... smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by kingzizzy: 8:18am On Oct 31, 2015
tsdarkside:

i beg you,pleeeeeease,dont encourage them...its a bad idea.....they should learn to live with their brothers and sisters and fight with us to achieve a brighter future toghether...our problem is not a river,our problem is our leaders that we can not controll...we must find a way toghether to control our leaders....

btw...from were do you want to get this type of huge money to finance this ideas??.......wouldnt you still need the nigerians??...is it wise to make enemys out of the rest of nigeria,that can make everything much harder for you to achieve..??....

and i tell you,even if you succeed to leave nigeria,,,the nigerians will try everything to sabotage you...next step,would be war,what the nigerian goverment wants....they know,they can defeat you anytime....nigerian army would be activated to 100%...this is what they want,,,...war makes the economie thrieve....it is absurd...but its facts.....

There is something I don't understand with Nigeria and indeed Nigerians. Before Lugard came, we barely knew each other but we lived peacefully alongside one another. Then Lugard came and brought us all together and named us Nigeria. Since then till today, we have been quarrelling, fighting,killing our selves in the millions and all for what? To keep this dream of Lord Lugard alive? I laugh but bitterly.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by rozayx5(m): 8:33am On Oct 31, 2015
ezeagu:

It would require cooperation with Rivers/Akwa Ibom as well.

imo river passes through my village.in akwa ibom . it wud be a welcome idea

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Herald47: 8:41am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

If the river passes through non-Iboland, this whole charade is soooo dead on arrival! You think the natives of those lands will watch you cross their land, from the sea across their land to Ibo land? No fucking way is that gonna happen! Not only would you be stopped, but even if it ever happens, they can choose to dam the river at anytime, so you end up with a big hole or channel without water!!
you can't lay claim on a body of water flowing from another peoples territory past your territory,the banks of the imo river from obuaku to the atlantic ocean is mostly forest,so dredging the river doesn't inconvenience anyone.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 31, 2015
any igbo man agitating for Nigerias breakup should be sentenced to the firing squad, anybody that does not want the progress of igbo land is not my kin.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Herald47: 8:43am On Oct 31, 2015
tsdarkside:

please try to explain to them,the consequence of their ideas....they just dont want to listen...has if u.n can force me to allow you enter my house...strange thinking......
the un law on international water ways nullifies your points.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Herald47: 8:46am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

Well, this thread is an admission of what we've always said that Ibos are landlocked! Imagine the Yorubas or SS contemplating the need for a river to accommodate large ships when they are already by the coast, with major coastlines. Ibos cannot survive or be viable without Nigeria and many of its tribes. It's only a pity they cannot see that the people they are abusing are their only lifelines. Ibos should stop trying to take the lands of others in Nigeria, just be proud of your land and be humble and we will manage to keep you eating small, small food in Nigeria.
come how old are you?,haven't you heard the UN ruling on international waterways?

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 31, 2015
nice idea
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Herald47: 8:50am On Oct 31, 2015
tsdarkside:

this only applys to open sea,and international waters...but we are talking about a river here.......completly different situation....
since you assumed that imo river is not an international water ways,then what is an international waterways?

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 31, 2015
this is why u should agitate for one Nigeria, we would achieve feats like this without any extra cost since we are one country, we can advance igbo land to be highly industrial then buy up most of the land in Kogi, benue, cross river's, rivers state, akwa ibom and turn them into farmlands which will supply us agricultural raw materials for our factories without having to pay for customs or anything we can even sell our products in far away bornu and it would be profitable because they cannot raise boundary against us or place an embargo, why for Ecowas and the rest u must not go to Lagos or Ogun or Cross river to obtain paper to travel through ecowas countries for ur goods u can do it in igbo land and all u do is once u are at the boundary show them ur papers and pass and the revenue remains in igbo land.
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by AyeeIdris(f): 9:05am On Oct 31, 2015
Intelligent thread

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Dhugal: 9:19am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

this is why u should agitate for one Nigeria, we would achieve feats like this without any extra cost since we are one country, we can advance igbo land to be highly industrial then buy up most of the land in Kogi, benue, cross river's, rivers state, akwa ibom and turn them into farmlands which will supply us agricultural raw materials for our factories without having to pay for customs or anything we can even sell our products in far away bornu and it would be profitable because they cannot raise boundary against us or place an embargo, why for Ecowas and the rest u must not go to Lagos or Ogun or Cross river to obtain paper to travel through ecowas countries for ur goods u can do it in igbo land and all u do is once u are at the boundary show them ur papers and pass and the revenue remains in igbo land.
Will you just shut it if you can't contribute reasonably to the thread for now?.
Enough of all that your claptrap.This thread is about development of Igboland,in association or otherwise,of our friendly neighbours and kin.

12 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 31, 2015
Dhugal:

Will you just shut it if you can't contribute reasonably to the thread for now?.
Enough of all that your claptrap.This thread is about development of Igboland,in association or otherwise,of our friendly neighbours and kin.
look at this one, are u done shouting go back to your land and u are now looking for another way? mumu

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by rhymaster: 9:38am On Oct 31, 2015
Ki
lygn19:
humans dont know that the world has advanced so much its just ignorance and suffering and tribalism that's disturbing Nigerians, If Burj khalifa the highest building in the world can be built, if humans can turn a desert into a world centre-Dubai then is it meer port we igbos cant contend with, what is ours is ours even if Lagos like let it be number 1 even if southern minorities try to steal ph an igboid city through the ikwerres let them, nothing last forever as far as there is life there is hope, one day Oguta would be a 5star high Brough area like lekki and banana island here u would see yatchts in the lake and 5star hotels, one day those erosion spots would be a very cosy tourism spot for the whole world to see, one day the coal mines in enugu would run again, the artisans of Aba there wares would be used worldly, even innoson cars shall be a common term all over Africa and the world the list goes on. Igbos let us just keep moving necessity is always the mother of invention, this Lagos some people want to kill us over one day the only business we would have with it its to take house rents while we stay in the east.
Time shall tell.

If Nigeria does break, Ibos will have no business in it: you will take neither rent nor make any profit - that is why you wanted Biafra, so why would you still wants you business in Nigeria? BTW, it would be 100% the decision of Nigerians, not Ibos who or what we allow in Nigeria or whatever countries exist in those places then. You may wish to go to U.S., UK, etc but the Americans, Brits, etc decide who they give a visa and associated privileges and no United Nations will ever or can do anything about it! Ibos are just mere fantasizers, if you cannot develop iboland now or live in it with all the free money your states are getting, you can never do better when Nigeria kicks out all Ibos and iboland is 100% surrounded by other countries who would forever control your destinies.

2 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:
Ki

If Nigeria does break, Ibos will have no business in it: you will take neither rent nor make any profit - that is why you wanted Biafra, so why would you still wants you business in Nigeria? BTW, it would be 100% the decision of Nigerians, not Ibos who or what we allow in Nigeria or whatever countries exist in those places then. You may wish to go to U.S., UK, etc but the Americans, Brits, etc decide who they give a visa and associated privileges and no United Nations will ever or can do anything about it! Ibos are just mere fantasizers, if you cannot develop iboland now or live in it with all the free money your states are getting, you can never do better when Nigeria kicks out all Ibos and iboland is 100% surrounded by other countries who would forever control your destinies.
lol... thats y people like u should pray it does, if u are hoping that igbos would go to another war and break Nigeria keep wishing, anybody banking on igbos for Nigerias breakup don enter one chance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Dhugal: 9:46am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

look at this one, are u done shouting go back to your land and u are now looking for another way? mumu
Shouting go back to your land?.
I see you're mentally disturbed.Have always suspected it,but you've firmly confirmed my suspicion.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of engaging you in future.
For now tho,as concerns this thread,kindly shut it.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:
Ki

You don't reason well. You have based your argument on the assumption that if Igbos pull out of Nigeria then all the other tribes will remain in Nigeria. What you don't know is that if the Igbos are allowed to leave, the Niger Delta would also leave to form their own country. Even the MB might also quite and stay on their own. Then there would be ifferent countries living side by side and diplomacy will come into play. If the Igbos leave, the centre will crumble. Boko haram might even take over the NE and establish an islamic caliphate there.

8 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 9:51am On Oct 31, 2015
zuchyblink:
we can support our government to achieve this. We can call on our brothers living outside Nigeria for help. I'm ready to give my one month salary to make sure that SE has access to the sea.
Imo airport was built by the people of Imo state,almost everyone contributed even little kids to make Imo airport a reality.

We have been doing a lot of research on how to implement diasporan tax system. this tax system will be for ndigbos worldwide. it will not be a harmful tax system and it will just be like one-tenth or so of what you earn. the bigger players will be taxed more because they will want to use the port more than normal traders. since they will also get concessions in the first few years of its construction.

it is possible we can get this done. there wont be any problem with the neighbours because no one is dredging out of the rivers but into the river.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 9:53am On Oct 31, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

You don't reason well. You have based your argument on the assumption that if Igbos pull out of Nigeria then all the other tribes will remain in Nigeria. What you don't know is that if the Igbos are allowed to leave, the Niger Delta would also leave to form their own country. Even the MB might also quite and stay on their own. Then there would be ifferent countries living side by side and diplomacy will come into play. If the Igbos leave, the centre will crumble. Boko haram might even take over the NE and establish an islamic caliphate there.

please dont argue that way. if others will love to stay back, let them stay. but biafra wont come now until we are prepared to go.

4 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 31, 2015
Nice thread Ezeagu. Nothing is impossible with determination. Igbo land is not lanlocked because we have waterfronts that we can work on to access the sea.

That said, look at Israel that moved into a desert and today have transformed their land to a tourist site. There are many countries in the world that are landlocked, have no oyel and are doing fine. Germany has the most powerful ecenomy in Europe today and they have no oyel. Quality of human resiurces matters most. The Igbos can do very well with or without oyel. This message is directed at ogogoro drinking people shouting our oyel every day.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 31, 2015
VickJames:

please dont argue that way. if others will love to stay back, let them stay. but biafra wont come now until we are prepared to go.
Biafra or not nobody is going anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 31, 2015
VickJames:

I am not begging any body to stay or leave, I only stated the obvious. Besides, I am not in support of Biafra, I am for One Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 10:01am On Oct 31, 2015
rhymaster:

If the river passes through non-Iboland, this whole charade is soooo dead on arrival! You think the natives of those lands will watch you cross their land, from the sea across their land to Ibo land? No fucking way is that gonna happen! Not only would you be stopped, but even if it ever happens, they can choose to dam the river at anytime, so you end up with a big hole or channel without water!!

the international law states that no one has control over the access of any particular river.

please let them dam it, lol, I am begging, let them dam it.

the sea is coming onshore and if dont know, it will over the shorelines soon. its better they allow passage way now, or they will end up running down to igbo land for survival.

these days, the sea is chasing everyone. the sea is coming to us.

6 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 10:10am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

Biafra or not nobody is going anywhere.

Now, i dont understand why people are afraid of ndigbo.

tell the people living in southsouth who wants to dig a borehole and ask them how deep they dig before getting water. everyone is trying to be 'its my land'. if they like in the southsouth, let them continue to castigate the igbos and say they own opobo. do you think opobo will still be onshore in the next 50years?

the igbo land is the best place to be in this generation of global warming. after reading different articles and done so many research on this present situation. i love the igbo land where it is. we are the future. the rate at which the rivers will be filled, surrounding communities might go with it. so insulting the igbos now will be fun, what about begging later?

I am not saying igbos are leaving soon. but if you check what is happening to nigeria and its economic strength, please its better we fight for an economic viable eastern region and stand as one. like i said earlier, the whites are waiting for us to make good decisions, this is one of them

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 31, 2015
Where is lalasticlala sef?
Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 31, 2015
VickJames:

the international law states that no one has control over the access of any particular river.

please let them dam it, lol, I am begging, let them dam it.

the sea is coming onshore and if dont know, it will over the shorelines soon. its better they allow passage way now, or they will end up running down to igbo land for survival.

these days, the sea is chasing everyone. the sea is coming to us.
anytime I read ur post and carnefigans posts I know our generation has hope, just look for a book and be writing this ideas you have that's what I do, so that even if u don't achieve them keep it in ur archives for the next generation to develop ideas and add this.

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 10:36am On Oct 31, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

I am not begging any body to stay or leave, I only stated the obvious. Besides, I am not in support of Biafra, I am for One Nigeria.

We have to be alert on all grounds. this is because if the oil start looking unattractive, then we will have a problem. i am not in support of bringing foreign investors (especially whites) to invest in our lands and give us peanuts and pay our brothers change. if we can do what we have to do and bring our own investments down east with proper planning in the next 20 years, then when you come to the east, if you leave after one holiday, swear for me.

the eastern region is the most blessed region in Nigeria for the future. whether you like it or not, nature will boot you back home. and if you dont come back home, either famine with chase you back.

7 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 10:40am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

anytime I read ur post and carnefigans posts I know our generation has hope, just look for a book and be writing this ideas you have that's what I do, so that even if u don't achieve them keep it in ur archives for the next generation to develop ideas and add this.

I will start doing what you just said brother. it is a very good and deep thinking. it is not by arguing who owns a particular land and who is igbo and who is not. it is an argument what we can do to develop what we have

1 Like

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by Vicotex(m): 11:10am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:
any igbo man agitating for Nigerias breakup should be sentenced to the firing squad, anybody that does not want the progress of igbo land is not my kin.
nigerians were never your friends or kin, they always find a reason to close any good thing they see springing up in the east

9 Likes

Re: Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? by VickJames(m): 11:31am On Oct 31, 2015
lygn19:

lyn, we should start doing things right. we can arrange for a meeting and get people to join us. do you care about this project?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigeria Slashes Crude Selling Prices To Woo Buyers / Femi Otedola Celebrates Anthony Joshua's Victory / Filling Station In Ogidi Anambra Sells Water As Fuel (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.