Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,651 members, 7,858,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 01:43 PM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (71023 Views)

Poll: Do You Want Ade To Leave Arsenal FC?

Yes - Sell him immediately: 28% (17 votes)
Yes - Use the money to strengthen the team: 41% (25 votes)
No - Ade has been maltreated by the press: 10% (6 votes)
Not unless he is replaced, I will be sad to see him go: 18% (11 votes)
Unsure: 1% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by No2Atheism(m): 2:06am On Jun 15, 2009
debosky:

What does Ronaldo have to do with anything

Didn't we win the league in 2004 with Ronaldo around? undecided

Our winning is down to Arsenal FC sorting itself out and getting the right personnel into the club and developing the mental strength of yore to run the marathon till the end. cool

With a visionary like Gazidis at the helm, I feel we will achieve our goals in the coming season. cool

Arsenal team of 2004 is hopelessly stronger than arsenal of now.
Ronaldo of 2004 is weaker than ronaldo of now.

Hence Manutd becomes weaker with the sale of ronaldo and thus this current weak arsenal side becomes better placed to beat manutd. Since there is no gaurantee that wenger would change anything other than sell people that earn much and replace them wit midgets.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 2:13am On Jun 15, 2009
Debo quit disgracing yourself.

How can you compare a team of Vieira, Henry, Campbell, Ljungberd, Cole, Pires to a team of Adebayor, Vpersie, Fanregas, Walcot, Clichy and Sagna

Even the much maligned Wiltord would be a star in this arsenal team.

Man Utd of 2004 was very weak and Arsenal were stronger
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 8:33am On Jun 15, 2009
No2Atheism:

Hence Manutd becomes weaker with the sale of ronaldo and thus this current weak arsenal side becomes better placed to beat manutd.
I disagree with you.
Ruud was sold about 3 seasons ago with no replacement and Manure have won the league thrice sucessively.
Selling Ronaldo would only make Manure weaker if they don't use the money made from the sale well.
We can only know if they have become weaker at the end of next season!
No2Atheism:

Since there is no gaurantee that wenger would change anything other than sell people that earn much and replace them wit midgets.
Midgets
Since when did football become basketball that require you to be six feet+?? grin
Really, I have said it for some time now, if we have an injury free(or near) season, we will compete and win trophies!
The Invincibles were great and became invincibles in that season because we had very few injuries(Go and check it out)
Imagine in 03/04, if we had Sol,Toure,Henry,Vieira and Pires out for a single game? tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by allboyz(m): 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2009
any news on Rozzi and dudu?

did anyone know if Hangeland had signed for Fulham again?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
allboyz:

any news on Rozzi and dudu?

did anyone know if Hangeland had signed for Fulham again?

Rozzi is ok.
Claimed that he was ready as at last season to play,but AW didn't see it necessary to play him(I guess it must have been when we were
out of all the competitions).No use risking him
Eduardo just had a minor operation and should be ready for pre season next month.
Nothing on Hangeland.
Things would get clearer by next month
and Meanwhile, transfer deadline is still August 31,2009
Quite a long way to go
Still more drama!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 4:42pm On Jun 15, 2009
dayokanu:

How can you compare a team of Vieira, Henry, Campbell, Ljungberd, Cole, Pires to a team of Adebayor, Vpersie, Fanregas, Walcot, Clichy and Sagna

Look I have no use for your consummate idiocy today. Who was comparing both teams? All I said was that it was not the absence or presence of Ronaldo that affected Arsenal's chances of winning the trophy, rather it was what we did (or didn't do) ourselves that affected it.

Keep your snout out of Arsenal matters before you get it broken and rearranged. tongue

@ HNIC

Well said. Though I'm not sure we would necessarily win without injuries, but we would definitely get a more accurate impression of how far the current squad can go, which we have been unable to do for the past 2 seasons at least due to persistent injuries.

That said, we need 2 players (rising to 4 if two others leave) A dominating CB with positional intelligence and an ability to marshal the back line, height would be an advantage as well. Right now the mix of Kolo, Gallas, Djourou and Silvestre is not working.

Secondly an established DM who can give Cesc the freedom to go forward knowing there's someone backing him fully - positionally aware and pacy. Our three current pretenders have either of these qualities but not both. Denilson is pacy, but not positionally aware. Song is positionally aware, but lacks pace. Diaby? Just get rid of him, or compose the squad like he's not there.

Personally, we need no strikers except Ade leaves, and no wingers/ wide midfielders with Nasri, AA23, Walcott remaining.

I'd hang tight till end of June before hearing any concrete Arsenal transfer news - I'm sure there's something brewing beneath all the silence. cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by MrCrackles(m): 4:45pm On Jun 15, 2009
dayokanu:

Is that why you cant type FABREGAS correctly grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 5:19pm On Jun 15, 2009
The dyslexic Arrow couldn't spell Ljunberg correctly either. Illiterate! tongue grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Ibime(m): 5:34pm On Jun 15, 2009
debosky:

Secondly an established DM who can give Cesc the freedom to go forward knowing there's someone backing him fully - positionally aware and pacy. Our three current pretenders have either of these qualities but not both. Denilson is pacy, but not positionally aware. Song is positionally aware, but lacks pace.

Nonsense! How much pace does a DM need? Alex Song hasn't got pace? Well he's faster than most DMs I know. How much pace do Makelele, Deschamps, Mikel etc have? I never read such tosh in my life. If Song is positionally aware, and faster than most DM's, what is your point exactly? Song covers acres of ground. Another DM is needed to challenge him or put him on the bench but not for the reasons you have stated. Most DMs at Arsenal would get exposed. You need to focus closely on Arsenal's pressing in midfield. Thats where half the problem lies. Alex Hleb was a silky motherphocker, but could he press like an animal. I cannot say the same about the current crop.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Sauron1: 5:45pm On Jun 15, 2009
debosky:

The dyslexic Arrow couldn't spell Ljunberg correctly either. Illiterate! tongue grin grin

Dayo is a semi-illiterate!!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 5:49pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ibime:

Nonsense! How much pace does a DM need? Alex Song hasn't got pace? Well he's faster than most DMs I know. How much pace do Makelele, Deschamps, Mikel etc have? I never read such tosh in my life.

Ibime before you go foaming at the mouth, does Song lack pace? Yes. I personally think Mikel is faster than Song, but that is debatable.

Let's compare like with like looking at previous Arsenal DM's is Song slow? Song is slower than Flamini, Gilberto, Edu and Petit (let's leave Vieira out because it is debatable whether he was more defensive or attacking)

Given that evidence, I would prefer a faster DM as that is much more attuned to Arsenal's game play.

If Song is positionally aware, and faster than most DM's, what is your point exactly?

I don't believe he is faster than most DM's, maybe faster than the ones at Chelski, but then again, this isn't about Chelski.

Positional awareness alone is not good enough. Go watch the CL semi-final against UTD - the pace of the breakaway could have been remedied if we had a slightly faster DM a la Flamini.

Song covers acres of ground. Another DM is needed to challenge him or put him on the bench but not for the reasons you have stated. Most DMs at Arsenal would get exposed. You need to focus closely on Arsenal's pressing in midfield. Thats where half the problem lies. Alex Hleb was a silky motherphocker, but could he press like an animal. I cannot say the same about the current crop.

Pressing ability is linked with pace though not the sole determining factor. Flamini was all over the pitch, moving fast and pressing hard all over the place. His high tempo, high energy style is obviously what is most suited to the Arsenal side as currently set up.

Note I am not saying he must be as fast as Walcott or Gibbs, but his pseudo languid style is not the best match for our side at the best. That said, he remains the best DM of the current bunch.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Ibime(m): 5:54pm On Jun 15, 2009
debosky:

Ibime before you go foaming at the mouth, does Song lack pace? Yes. I personally think Mikel is faster than Song, but that is debatable.
Let's compare like with like looking at previous Arsenal DM's is Song slow? Song is slower than Flamini, Gilberto, Edu and Petit (let's leave Vieira out because it is debatable whether he was more defensive or attacking)

hehehehehehe. . . . wait lemme laugh again. . . . .  grin grin grin grin

How can Mikel be faster than Song? Mikel is one of the slowest players in the prem.

The only two boys there faster than Song are Gilberto and Flamini. Song is faster than Edu and Petit hands down.

Song is fast enough. Even when playing centre-back, he has never been done for pace.

debosky:

Positional awareness alone is not good enough. Go watch the CL semi-final against UTD - the pace of the breakaway could have been remedied if we had a slightly faster DM a la Flamini.

Nonsense - no DM would have kept up with that counter attack. Only Mascherano would even come close. You cant open up like an Amsterdam LovePeddler and expect your DM to plug gaps for you.

debosky:

Pressing ability is linked with pace though not the sole determining factor. Flamini was all over the pitch, moving fast and pressing hard all over the place. His high tempo, high energy style is obviously what is most suited to the Arsenal side as currently set up.

I can see the problem. . . .you are following Flamini's blue print, but Song is not that kind of DM. Flamini is a high-pressing DM, whilst Song is a half-pressing DM (ie the DM who only presses when you enter his half). Besides, with Fabregas feeling like a King and Nasri the weakling prancing around like a prima-donna - Is pressing only the job of a DM?. At least you had Hleb doing his thing last year. This year, Song is totally exposed.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 6:13pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ibime:

Song is fast enough. Even when playing centre-back, he has never been done for pace.

I don't think he is fast enough, not for Arsenal's game tempo.

Nonsense - no DM would have kept up with that counter attack. Only Mascherano would even come close. You cant open up like an Amsterdam LovePeddler and expect your DM to plug gaps for you.

That is a matter of opinion - I think a faster DM would be more akin to what we need.

I can see the problem. . . .you are following Flamini's blue print, but Song is not that kind of DM. Flamini is a high-pressing DM, whilst Song is a half-pressing DM (ie the DM who only presses when you enter his half). Besides, with Fabregas feeling like a King and Nasri the weakling prancing around like a prima-donna - Is pressing only the job of a DM?. At least you had Hleb doing his thing last year. This year, Song is totally exposed.

No one says only the DM should press, but our team is set up differently to the likes of Chelski - we need a workhorse DM to liberate Cesc to fully pursue his attacking philosophy and dictate games. Apart from the tail end of this season with the failed positioning of Cesc, he more than played his role in tackling as well as instigating attacks.

We've gone over the Nasri issue, and apart from one game that your idols on MOTD were screaming like banshees over, I have yet to see any reason to label him a weakling. He played excellently against Liverpool in that withdrawn role and if not for the defence (mostly Silvestre) shooting themselves each time Liverpool had the ball, things might have been different that night.

Song was complete rubbish till early this year - it's not a lack of pressing that exposed him early on. When he found his head, his ability was clearly seen.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by eyonigger(m): 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2009
Muki, sad news, Fabregas is heading to Barca. How una wan cope now? Wallcot has been downcasted to UNder 21.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 6:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
eyonigger:

Muki, sad news, Fabregas is heading to Barca. How una wan cope now? Wallcot has been downcasted to UNder 21.
Can you please grow a brain? What is up with the muppets on the loose today? No more room on the scumtwat thread?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by eyonigger(m): 6:40pm On Jun 15, 2009
Debola take ur time. I thought u were more matured than this. I never expected that from you at all, with what I speculated (FACT) Even Sauron would not have spitted what u spat, that " BE" A forum THUG, so what would u be classified as now?

Just chill abeg, besides I was talking to Muki.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 10:47pm On Jun 15, 2009
@ Eyo

sorry dude if my words were harsh, but what 'fact' have you stated? I don't take kindly to meaningless speculation about my club.

Whether you were talking to muki or not, you have posted about Arsenal FC and I'll reply as I deem fit.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by MrCrackles(m): 10:52pm On Jun 15, 2009
SACK THE MODERAZZA's grin cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Sauron1: 11:02pm On Jun 15, 2009
eyonigger:

Debola take ur time. I thought u were more matured than this. I never expected that from you at all, with what I speculated (FACT) Even Sauron would not have spitted what u spat, that " BE" A forum THUG, so what would u be classified as now?

Sauron!
Sauron!!
Sauron!!!

Sauron must be the anti-christ.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 3:22am On Jun 16, 2009
Sharon is the forum retard
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 8:45am On Jun 16, 2009
http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5382683,00.html

i think Fabregas may need his Lawyers to follow him around when he grants these interviews!! lipsrsealed
Or he shuts up alltogether grin
We all know he won't be at Arsenal forever.
But it's becoming nauseating each time the Press reports that he is going back to Spain
and then he comes up refuting the stories.
We are getting bored joo . . . . . . . . . .
Next Story please. . . . . . .
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Emperoh(m): 10:48am On Jun 16, 2009
HNIC
That was how Ronaldo's started!! grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 11:08am On Jun 16, 2009
@ HNIC

Even if he had 10 lawyers, the idiotic press will twist his words. How can he being happy to get a phone call from Pep mean he is leaving? The lunacy of the speculation baffles me at times.

The press will continue to bring stories like these up. We all know Cesc will leave one day, but not in the next three years at least. When the time comes, he will depart.

Emperoh:

HNIC
In that case, let someone offer £80m and we'll listen! grin

Now on to a different kettle of fish - the search for a DM. Myles P has been talking up a potential target for Wenger, let me know what you think

Thomas Hitzlsperger is 27 and available for £5 million.

He has one year left on his contract with VfB Stuttgart, where he has played for four years and is captain. He previously played for Aston Villa for four years and speaks good English.

Hitzlsperger has something that is missing from the Arsenal midfield : the ability to score from distance. His left foot is a hammer. He hits thunderbolts from 25 and 30 yards. He scored 13 goals for Villa and has scored 6 goals in 45 for Germany, mostly against San Marino, Cyprus and Lichtenstein.

Since 1996, Wenger has never had a midfielder who could score regularly from distance. His teams have only scored that type of goal once in a blue moon. Vieira, Flamini and Gilberto could not score from outside the box. Yes, Fabregas got one at the San Siro and Parlour smacked in his famous cannonball against Valencia to make it 2-1.

Most of Arsenal's goals from distance were by Henry or Bergkamp. Some were curled into the top corner, like the Robbie Pires goal at Lazio.

So there you have it : Thomas Hitzlsperger would be a useful acquisition.

A safe signing, not a risky one. He fits the bill : experienced, cheap, won't talk back to the manager

[url=http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=1298&cntnt01origid=30&cntnt01returnid=42]LINK[/url]
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Ibime(m): 11:17am On Jun 16, 2009
Hitzlsberger abi Shitzlsberger?

Myles P is an idiot.

If Arsenal wanna regress into a Europa League team, they can go for Shitzlsberger. Na only bullet we go chop, what about quality?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 11:24am On Jun 16, 2009
Na wa o - what do you have against Hitzlsberger?

Since you claim to have encyclopedic knowledge of footie, kindly identify the player's shortcomings.

I would actually appreciate DK giving his opinion on the player, since he is the resident Bundesliga expert.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by khanye(m): 11:38am On Jun 16, 2009
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Ibime(m): 11:56am On Jun 16, 2009
debosky:

Na wa o - what do you have against Hitzlsberger?

Since you claim to have encyclopedic knowledge of footie, kindly identify the player's shortcomings.

I would actually appreciate DK giving his opinion on the player, since he is the resident Bundesliga expert.

You seem to forget that Hitzlsberger used to play at Villa Park which is my defacto home ground. I went to a couple of Villa matches back then and I never rated Der Hammer. Apart from an ability to bulala shots, his passing game leaves a lot to be desired. Very un-Arsenal like.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 11:56am On Jun 16, 2009
How many players would say no to Madrid  

Two of the best players in the world have signed for them - that tells the story.

Besides, Sagna said he'd see IF an offer is made - Arsenal have to be willing to sell else there's no deal.

This is nothing but speculation based on an honest answer:

“I am surprised by this news, but I wouldn’t turn my back on it,”

Doesn't mean he wants to leave, any professional player would be curious to know if another club wanted him. That is all.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2009
Ibime:

You seem to forget that Hitzlsberger used to play at Villa Park which is my defacto home ground. I went to a couple of Villa matches back then and I never rated Der Hammer. Apart from an ability to bulala shots, his passing game leaves a lot to be desired. Very un-Arsenal like.

So you be brummie masquerading as West londoner? grin grin

Hitzlsperger played his early days at Villa, remember that was FOUR years ago. He's gone on to win a Bundesliga title and now captains his side. Do you know much about his current performances?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2009
Emperoh:

HNIC
Ha ha ha
As far back as January, many of us knew CR7 was on his way to Madrid
and after that stunt he pulled in your match against citeh,we knew the petulant kid was on his way!
Ibime:

Hitzlsberger abi Shitzlsberger?

Myles P is an idiot.

If Arsenal wanna regress into a Europa League team, they can go for Shitzlsberger. Na only bullet we go chop, what about quality?
What do u have against this dude
is it because he  once played for Villa
It's still speculations, but if he comes, might just be useful!!!. . . .  who knows grin

khanye:

Arsenal’s Bacary Sagna: I Couldn’t Say No To Real Madrid
Watch Bacary deny the story tomorrow morning! tongue
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Ibime(m): 12:06pm On Jun 16, 2009
debosky:

So you be brummie masquerading as West londoner? grin grin

Hitzlsperger played his early days at Villa, remember that was FOUR years ago. He's gone on to win a Bundesliga title and now captains his side. Do you know much about his current performances?

nah, I grew up in those areas. I've probably been to Villa Park more times than Stamford Bridge. grin

I dont know much about his current performance except what I see with German National team. He doesn't have the speed of thought or quickness of passing to blend with Arsenal. BTW, what position are you looking for for him? I hope not DM? grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 12:12pm On Jun 16, 2009
Ibime:

nah, I grew up in those areas. I've probably been to Villa Park more times than Stamford Bridge. grin

I dont know much about his current performance except what I see with German National team. He doesn't have the speed of thought or quickness of passing to blend with Arsenal. BTW, what position are you looking for for him? I hope not DM? grin

I don't know much about him, hence my asking for opinions. grin You make it sound as if he's another Diaby. . . if that's the case then thanks but no thanks. grin grin

That said, he might have some things going for him - experienced at club level with a winners medal, leadership ability through captaincy and experience for his national team. He also knows how to score important goals. If he can do the above and pass intelligently then I would still be interested even if he lacks some pace.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (101)

Manchester City Vs Tottenham Hotspur:UCL Quarter Finals (4 -3) On 17th Apr. 2019 / Barcelona Vs Bayern Munich : UCL (3 - 0) On 6th May 2015 / Manchester United Vs Liverpool (2 - 1) On 22nd August 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.