Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,954 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? (907 Views)

Why Do Calabar Women Change Their Names When They Marry From Another Tribe? / Any Implication Of Deflowering And Not Marring A Girl? / If you had to marry another tribe/ethnicity apart from your own which wud it be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by taosola(m): 3:45pm On May 11, 2009
Nairalanders, Please let's educate one another on this common problem of ethnicity in our country that often affects marriage institution. Is it a crime to marry another tribe in Nigeria, can you do it, if you have, what is your experience? If you can't, then Why?
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by Ben13: 3:46pm On May 11, 2009
I don't think it's a crime.
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:42pm On May 11, 2009
Its not a crime. . .but from my personal view i would rather marry an Igbo guy than a guy from my tribe( guess i'm being biased cus my mum's Igbo) But am still open to other tribes. . .

I also would not like to marry a Hausa guy( I have nothing against them) but a lot of external factors pose as an issue in such marriage( especially religion since most of them tend to be Muslims) in order to avoid a lot of problems i wouldn't wanna end up with one. . .
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by blackmann(m): 4:47pm On May 11, 2009
No, its not a crime. its just the percieved view of some of our local people that make it look so bad. My fiancee is not from my tribe, yet our families have agreed to come together to support bith of us. it all depends on the two people involved.
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by surface(f): 5:22pm On May 11, 2009
its not a crime,but 2 me i prefer d hausa men,they are very energetic and romantic unlike all dis lousy yoruba men cool
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by Godalone(m): 6:10pm On May 11, 2009
It is not a crime,in fact it is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by nene1: 6:24pm On May 11, 2009
what i don't understand is why some africans have a problem with marrying someone from another tribe even thought the are from the same country. however, they have no problem marrying a white. it seems to me africans are more against intertribal marriage than they are interracial. can some please explain this to me?
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by Secretz(f): 6:27pm On May 11, 2009
No, it's not a crime because you can't go to prison because of it.!  tongue

But family wahala dey anoda ting entirely!!

I was with an igbo guy for 4 YEARS!!! But boiiiiiiiiiiii, when it came to marriage, the guys family were like no way, we don't want yoruba girl (even though I was the best for him  cool ) . They gave me HELL!! Never once did me or my family retaliate. They were like, especially the dad, 'my son, we will find you a good Igbo wife, don't you worry. These yoruba people are not good' bla bla bla.

Now he's married to a white woman, and they hate it.! Oh well.  To God be the glory.  grin  

It all really depends on how strong the couple is and how badly they want to make things work, because if the family do not support, then it can cause problems, if they do support, then that's good.   wink

nene1:

what i don't understand is why some africans have a problem with marrying someone from another tribe even thought the are from the same country. however, they have no problem marrying a white. it seems to me africans are more against intertribal marriage than they are interracial. can some please explain this to me?

You have a good point. grin
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by nene1: 12:36am On May 12, 2009
Secretz:

No, it's not a crime because you can't go to prison because of it.! tongue

But family wahala dey anoda ting entirely!!

I was with an igbo guy for 4 YEARS!!! But boiiiiiiiiiiii, when it came to marriage, the guys family were like no way, we don't want yoruba girl (even though I was the best for him cool ) . They gave me HELL!! Never once did me or my family retaliate. They were like, especially the dad, 'my son, we will find you a good Igbo wife, don't you worry. These yoruba people are not good' bla bla bla.

Now he's married to a white woman, and they hate it.! Oh well. To God be the glory. grin

It all really depends on how strong the couple is and how badly they want to make things work, because if the family do not support, then it can cause problems, if they do support, then that's good. wink

You have a good point. grin

thank you for sharing your story. it proved my point. now they wish he married you instead of a white woman. at least you're both nigerian. but if they hated the fact that he married a white woman, how come they did not prevent his marriage to her, yet they stopped him marrying you?
Re: Is Marring Another Tribe In Nigeria A Crime? by Secretz(f): 9:25am On May 12, 2009
nene1:

thank you for sharing your story. it proved my point. now they wish he married you instead of a white woman. at least you're both nigerian. but if they hated the fact that he married a white woman, how come they did not prevent his marriage to her, yet they stopped him marrying you?

She showed them peppe. . . . took the situation into her own hands and they did things without their parents, but I was not raised that way, so that's their business!! grin

I personally believe that parents should have reasonable ground to reject their child's choice of life partner. In this day and age and even where you bring your children up in a western world/society/environment, there is a very high probability that they are going to bring home someone other than from their own tribe. wink

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Gf Does Not Understand Her Periodic Table. / Is She Mad / Where Did I Go Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.