Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? (10989 Views)

Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Woman To Divorce Husband Over Bride Price / Am I Wrong In Wanting To Have A Child By A White Man But Not Marry One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by biina: 6:11pm On May 16, 2009
Being able to cook and being a good cook are different things. The former is required of all, the latter less so.

Cooking is an acquired skill, that lends itself well to the adage of 'practice makes perfect'. With enough effort and enthusiasm, anyone should be able to learn to cook (giving allowance for the occasional
burnt offering).

Guys on the other hand should learn to appreciate the efforts of their wives in the kitchen, and focus less on the goodness of the results. After all, most guys are well below par in culinary matters.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by biina: 6:12pm On May 16, 2009
FL Gators:

So what is stopping men from learning to cook?

If they need it for survival.

You think we don't need help in the kitchen too? undecided

rotflmao @ the bucket. oogbadun grin

But on a serious note, it's unfair, it's sexism.

Many things needs to be fix in a home with little children. If he can't work his tools, then I guess he ain't a man.
<asks innocently> which tools?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by bawomolo(m): 6:17pm On May 16, 2009
the little children won't exist if the man couldn't use his tools
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 16, 2009
@@biina
Adding to what you said, being able to cook and being a good cook are ineed two different things.
Anybody can cook, but not everybody can make the food taste good.
Ability to use Precision and accuracy is def needed. Assumption is another minus/plus.

Oh boy, get your mind outta the gutter. tongue
I meant this tools wink

[img]http://qito.files./2007/09/tool-box.jpg[/img]
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 16, 2009
Guys, not that tool, the tool I posted
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 6:22pm On May 16, 2009
A home with a wife who can't cook- even if the husband is a master chef- is a failure. Don't deceive yourselves women. If you can't cook, just don't get married yet (well, don't get married in Nigeria).
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nokka: 6:39pm On May 16, 2009
It is not compulsory. It is also not compulsory for the husband to go to work either.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by ifyalways(f): 6:55pm On May 16, 2009
It is good for a woman to know how to cook.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by MaiSuya(m): 6:59pm On May 16, 2009
Nokka:

It is not compulsory. It is also not compulsory for the husband to go to work either.

grin
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 6:59pm On May 16, 2009
ifyalways:

It is good for a woman to know how to cook.

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 16, 2009
Nokka:

angry angry grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 16, 2009
yes. She must at least know how to cook, doesnt mean she'd be condemned to cooking forever.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by liliana(f): 7:06pm On May 16, 2009
@Topic

Very interesting one here!
Compulsory or not Compulsory for a woman to know how to cook?
I Can only answer by asking just a few questions.
-Is it compulsory to go to school?
-Is it compulsory to eat?
-Is it compulsory to wake up in the morning?
-is it compulsory to get married or even have children?
-Is it compulsory to , (do so many things i leave the house to think of)
My answer,Whatever you decide to do,it is your choice and decision to make.

All i can say is as long as you the man are happy with your wife,cooking or no cooking would not be an issue!
It all depends on individuals and what the place their values on.
Moerover no be if you open ya mouth talk say your wife no sabi cook the world go know?
In marriage,no 3rd parties are allowed! wink
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 7:11pm On May 16, 2009
Third parties cheesy

It'll be pure bliss when your septuagenarian mummies and daddies visit for the weekend.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 16, 2009
liliana:

All i can say is as long as you the man are happy with your wife,cooking or no cooking would not be an issue!

Ok so as long as you are happy with your man, whether he has a job or not shld not be an issue too? Cooking is not a "value", but like having a man who can provide for you it is a necessary ingredient in a happy marriage.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by biina: 7:18pm On May 16, 2009
FL Gators:

Oh boy, get your mind outta the gutter. tongue
I meant this tools wink
How did you spot my mind in the gutter, if yours wasn't lying next to mine? cheesy
Looking at the pic you posted, I see some 'large implements' that look like a 'self lubricating power drill', right next to a 'ball pen hammer'. Such tools I do agree, one needs to be man grin
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 16, 2009
rotflmao, lol I can see a dirry mind miles away tongue

biina:

Looking at the pic you posted, I see some 'large implements' that look like a 'self lubricating power drill', right next to a 'ball pen hammer'. Such tools I do agree, one needs to be man grin
rotflmao grin grin No comments tongue
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by lannre(m): 7:33pm On May 16, 2009
its not only compulsory,its necessary,a must,justified,needed,required,essential crucial,indispensable,basic, ask Married women of 20 years experience. Please dont ask the Equal Right Women.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by lannre(m): 7:39pm On May 16, 2009
Moerover no be if you open ya mouth talk say your wife no sabi cook the world go know?
In marriage,no 3rd parties are allowed!

Cant imagine this ? imagine your family on a visit and you in the kitchen,what will your wife be doing gisting with the family or assisting you in the kitchen. Third party not allowed,where? cant imagine. The so call borrowed culture not extreme to that level.why cousin,nephew, lets be pragmatic.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by liliana(f): 7:40pm On May 16, 2009
@davidylan,

Ok so as long as you are happy with your man, whether he has a job or not shld not be an issue too? Cooking is not a "value", but like having a man who can provide for you it is a necessary ingredient in a happy marriage.

You have completely misunderstood my point.I was only trying to be diplomatic.Its really up to you to decide what you really want for your self.Everything in life is a choice.It is not compulsory to know how to cook but if i can cook,it is a choice i have made.Just as it is not compulsory for a man to get a job,if he has got one he chose to get one!It depends on what you place your values on!

@Sammy_107d

Having your parents over for the weekend is not a bad thing!When i said third parties are not allowed in marriage,i meant that couples keep their lives(the way they live their lives)to themselves!Its not anybody's business.You don't have to start telling tales therby giving people room to give u ideas!Una fight,keep am to urself!husband cook,keep am to unaself!the most important thing be say food dey house!
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by amaikama(m): 7:43pm On May 16, 2009
@lannre!!! na lie you talk so angry for naija!!! which man go like not even love a woman wey no sabi cook? abeg tell me ooohhh!!! make i know now?? which tradition go allow that kind civilization? i dey wait for your reply abeg angry
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by kingkams(m): 7:55pm On May 16, 2009
In my humble opinion and my own case,

It will even be a CRITERION FOR SELECTION.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 8:02pm On May 16, 2009
Well, since I can't find any naija man on this thread that'll tolerate a non-cooking wife, good luck to the women who think they can work things out (except they find a male women rights activist).
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by biina: 8:12pm On May 16, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Well, since I can't find any naija man on this thread that'll tolerate a non-cooking wife, good luck to the women who think they can work things out (except they find a male women rights activist).

Even then, do not be surprised if said activist does not practice what they preach.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by ofokasibe: 9:41pm On May 16, 2009
if she cant cook n, then she is only good for bleeping, but remember i will also Bleep the housegirl who cooks sweet food for me. so dont learn coooking o fake american naija gurls
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by IGWEUSA(m): 9:48pm On May 16, 2009
@ poster
                     It is highly compulsory that a women should know how to cook. If i found out before marriage that she doesnt know how to cook, I wont even marry her in the first place. This is not about whether I know how to cook or not, but I see it as a sign of bad up binging on her part.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by SeXyBoNE: 10:30pm On May 16, 2009
@poster

if u kom enter husband house, wetin u go kom dey do?

sit down look?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by malali: 11:44pm On May 16, 2009
, hmmmmm
this has being a debatable topic for a long time
a woman that can't cook , is not fit to be called a woman
its like a man that wakes up in the morning and starts to dodge the landlord that has come to collect the rent instead of going out there to hustle
many relationships have gone south cos they like eating out, which is not a problem cos some can afford it, but i dont want to pack my family to KFC or Mcdonalds, one day
if she cant cook,what can she do have sex, how does she compete with the woman that can cook,give happy ending,doesnt nag and helps out with the bills
cooking is mandatory, at least keep trying !!!!, for girls the competition is stiff if you want ur own permanent man is much tuffer than having one man per night any girl can have that, cos many girls can have sex even if they can cook
how many girls out there did ur father not look outside, if ur mother cant cook, few!!!!
ur first office is my stomach,i dont care if you cook it or not, my mother can cook, but has a maid, even if the maid does the cooking she serves it to my dad and she has minimal to contact to the man (maid), cooking is not overated if dont wanna share ur man dont share his stomach!!!!!!
SEE BELOW MY IDEAL WIFE CHEF IN THE KITCHEN,NINJA IN BED, GBISHGBISH, I CAN NEVER LEAVE HER!!!!!!! grin

Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 6:47am On May 17, 2009
a woman being able to cook and a man being able to work are two completely different analogies

you can always 'outsource' the feeding of the family, wheter by always eating out, or hiring a cook, a women being unable to cook would be inconveneient, and for our culture an embarrassmenet,

breadwinning cannot be outsourced per se, (maybe some rich parents can keep sending allawi) being unable to earn a source of livelhood id beyond an inconvenience, i don't even want to think of how one would describe that(too scary) diff ends of the spectrum

FL's analogy is much more logical, though it still has some holes. the culture that knocks women who can't cook did not originally have household with applianaces etal. also, cooking is a skill people across social classes all agree on. even millionaires etal still expect the missus to cook up something once in a while. while i can see myself unblocking pipes in my house, somehow, i can't see my MD doing that cheesy.

anyway enough rambling. it isn't compulsory for a woman to know how to cook, but it is a definite bonus. if she can.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by tEsLim(m): 6:52am On May 17, 2009
its a most and ++++ for a woman to know how to cook. I'm a woman thats lazy about cooking and she really get angry at herself when I dont find ways to dodge the ugly meal she brings to the table sometimes. And she doesn't want a maid to do it either undecided

You'll decide!!! My sister I beg you get training. Cos even your kids will complain. Or wont it your food
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by bawomolo(m): 6:55am On May 17, 2009
while i can see myself unblocking pipes in my house, somehow, i can't see my MD doing that

If MD isn't unclogging some drains, then the driver or houseboy would be willing to help.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by C2H5OH(f): 7:30am On May 17, 2009
Compulsory? No.

Marry one who doesn't? Most likely not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Tell Your Spouse You Cheated If The Lord Asks You To? / The Marine Girl I Dated / What's The Other Side Of This Coin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.