Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? (10990 Views)

Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Woman To Divorce Husband Over Bride Price / Am I Wrong In Wanting To Have A Child By A White Man But Not Marry One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:56am On May 18, 2009
n u blame that particular lion because?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 3:05am On May 18, 2009
Now, you wouldn't blame that particular lion in the zoo, but you should blame the lion if he gets released and decides do become a daddy before perfecting the act (especially if he can pick up a book titled "the ABCs of hunting"wink. That of course would spell starvation for the poor cubs. The point is: if you want to get married (become a papa lion), just learn to cook first. It'll play an important role in making your house a home.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 3:05am On May 18, 2009
@Kayola

Krayola:

@ nateevs,  like I said you need to read more and feed your head.  The only thing on display here is your ignorance.

look up "Syngnathidae",  na the males dey carry pregnancy. Na male seahorses dey carry pikin up and down. MEN, YES MEN LACTATE. Men produce milk,  There are stories of men that have breast-fed their children.  

If you have read something or have come across some brilliant piece of info and don't know how and when to apply it . . . You are probably worse than those that neva had the info . .
You actually think you are showing off. . You are showing ignorance of monumental proportions. . . .

It's a natural instinct for women to breast feed their babies. . . . So because there are stories of men that have breast-fed their children, it means it is not instinctive for a woman to breast feed. . . .
Where those stories not reported as unusual . . . ?
Do you not know it's the unusual that makes the news. . . ?
Who reports that a Woman breast-fed her child? . . .No One!

Who reports that a Man breast-fed his child . . . everyone. Why? because it is not usual . . .

Now you are using an unusual case to dispute a norm . . . A classic case of misuse of knowledge. . .

When a Woman feeds her children, it's nature.
When a woman cooks for her kids, it's nature.

When a Man helps his wife out with cooking - and he should - it because she doesn't have the time . . not because she can't do it.

It's not necessary for a Woman to know how to cook? . . . Get some perspective Man!
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 3:10am On May 18, 2009
acidrop:

on the environment to learn one, now this jst prove how single minded u guys are, jst because we are africans and all that n familiar with cooking n all that, i gat a friend who dont know how to boil water cos she grew up in an orphanage home no parents, and they were not even allowed near the kicthen, incase they run away or something, so their are conditions out there, that are exempted
wat u guys are supposed to say is, the lazy ones or stubborn ones that dont know hw to cook, instead u guys are generalising, datz single minded

She's not going to remain in the orphanage all her life is she? She is a girl now. . .
At some point she will get out - perhaps after 18. . be on her own, get a job, and start to prepare for a life. . .
At this point she is becoming a Woman and should start to think of the things Women do. . .
Who will teach her how to have sex?
I don't suppose they teach them that at the orphanage . . . .

She gets a friend that can teach her how to do it . . and that's aw you learn . . . . ask crayon how his curiosity got him to learn how to cook.   
There's no excuse for a woman not knowing how to cook . . . . You can't justify it.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 3:15am On May 18, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Now, you wouldn't blame that particular lion in the zoo, but you should blame the lion if he gets released and decides do become a daddy before perfecting the act (especially if he can pick up a book titled "the ABCs of hunting"wink. That of course would spell starvation for the poor cubs. The point is: if you want to get married (become a papa lion), just learn to cook first. It'll play an important role in making your house a home.

Serious words of wisdom brother. . . I must commend your points. . .
Aw do you feel with all this you see?

I feel like throwing up . .
With all the slimy gist I can see littering the whole place . . . even from a Man as well.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 3:33am On May 18, 2009
@ nateevs, olodo ni bobo yi sha, 

Anyways, my point was that in nature all sorts of things occur. There are species where the females do all the nurturing, and there are species where males do all of it. FOR EXAMPLE,  DAMSELFISHES, As far as male lactating goes the Dayak fruit bat of Southeast Asia produces milk and breast feeds the young.

"Actually a significant number of boys around the age of puberty do develop breasts," he continues, "so the tissue is there, but it regresses." In short, men may not have full-fledged breasts but they certainly can lactate, under extreme circumstances.

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and one-time physiologist Jared Diamond from 1995 article "father's milk".

There are all sorts of examples in nature where the males take on roles that are generally seen as female roles,  I could list more but then ur insecure ass will just accuse me of "trying to show off" again.

You guys generalize too much,  aiye po gan.  The hardest things to prove are universality or exclusivity of anything. Attempting to do what you are doing is a suicide mission. there is no way to successfully do what you are trying to.  U dig? u can't win this one. It is a lost cause.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 3:36am On May 18, 2009
Krayola:

@ nateevs, olodo ni bobo yi sha, 

Anyways, my point was that in nature all sorts of things occur. There are species where the females do all the nurturing, and there are species where males do all of it. FOR EXAMPLE,  DAMSELFISHES, As far as male lactating goes the Dayak fruit bat of Southeast Asia produces milk and breast feeds the young.

"Actually a significant number of boys around the age of puberty do develop breasts," he continues, "so the tissue is there, but it regresses." In short, men may not have full-fledged breasts but they certainly can lactate, under extreme circumstances.

Pulitzer Prize-winning author and one-time physiologist Jared Diamond from 1995 article "father's milk".

There are all sorts of examples in nature where the males take on roles that are generally seen as female roles,  I could list more but then ur insecure ass will just accuse me of "trying to show off"

You guys generalize too much,  aiye po gan.  The hardest things to prove are universality or exclusivity of anything. Attempting to do what you are doing is a suicide mission. there is no way to successfully do what you are trying to.  U dig? u can't win this one. It is a lost cause.
angry angry
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 3:39am On May 18, 2009
Sammy107_d:

angry angry

I think every tom d!ck and Fatai knows that men do not generally produce milk. YOu are stating the obvious. What i'm saying is that it occurs in nature, and even on rare occasion in humans. Damn,  do i have to draw a colorful diagram with labels?  grin
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 3:48am On May 18, 2009
Krayola:

I think every tom d!ck and Fatai knows that men do not generally produce milk. YOu are stating the obvious. What i'm saying is that it occurs in nature, and even on rare occasion in humans. Damn,  do i have to draw a colorful diagram with labels?  grin

So how do you juxtapose your lactating analogy with the fact that all married women should be able to cook? Acidrop already stated a clear example of an exemption. Maybe you should read the thread a little before posting.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 3:59am On May 18, 2009
Mother served in the military.
Mother was a professional, or single parent, provided for child and taught good morals, but didn't teach how to cook.
Both parents do not see it as a prerequisite for living a fulfilled happy life and so do not obsess over it.
Child didn't care to learn how to cook, was busy studying, drawing, singing, whatever the fukc else she wanted.
etc
etc
etc
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 4:08am On May 18, 2009
And there goes the "lion in the zoo" story posted above. . .
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 4:13am On May 18, 2009
Thank God I am not the only one on this . . .
What exactly is he talking about . . .
I used an example of how even female animals and birds give food to their young ones . . . using that as an analogy to express that it's nature for a Woman to cook for her off-springs. .
He comes back telling me that Men have breasts. . .
Is that suppose to justify that Women should not cook ?

He comes back with professors books again telling me again that man have breasts. . .

Insecure ? . . . LMFAO and eyeballs popping . . . With a computer, access to the internet and Home hub access to Google's servers . . . I can't be impressed . . . Impersonation is a common thing on the web.
You think I am impressed?

I am probably insecure arguing with someone who has the smartness to google some common info and then doesn't know when and how to use it . . .

It's just as appalling as a Mother not knowing how to cook . . .
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 4:16am On May 18, 2009
Sammy107_d:

And there goes the "lion in the zoo" story posted above. . .

Funny isn't it . . . .?
This is how it relates eh?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 4:26am On May 18, 2009
YOu guys are a joke.

you see, when people run out of arguments, they resort to trying to ridicule the opponent.

You used nature as an example to make ur case, I used nature to refute it,

You claimed a woman that can not cook was by definition badly raised, lazy, and useless as a wife and i gave u examples where this is not the case and begged you to provide a logical link between those qualities, I'm still waiting.

Like I said I can not marry a woman that can not cook. But you guys trying to paint them as the worst thing that can happen to a marriage is just juvenile. There is NOTHING that you can say to support such a ridiculous claim and I'll be here pointing out all the leaks in whatever nonsensical arguments you throw out.
wink
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 4:39am On May 18, 2009
Why can't you marry a woman that can't cook ? Maybe that explains the whole thing. .

And for your info I never used "useless as a wife" . . . I said useless as a mother. . .
Also it's not the worst thing that can happen to a marriage . . It's the worst thing that can happen to motherhood. . . You need to take your dark shades off and read between the lines . . .
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 4:39am On May 18, 2009
An average woman (not an orphan, destitute, or insane) who lived in a house for 20 years of her life, only to sit at the table (or restaurant) at meal times without even being curious about how that meal was prepared is quintessentially mentally and physically lazy. A mentally and physically lazy wife is a useless wife.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 5:07am On May 18, 2009
okay,  one more time

You said in nature females feed their young. But in nature some animals eat their young. Male polar bears eat their young,  Lions eat their young,  why don't humans eat their young as well? The female praying mantis kills the male after mating,  why doesn't your wife kill you after sex? Nature is not one dimensional,  No one species sets precedence for others,  they all evolve and adapt to their environments differently.

The reason why women are generally seen as home makers is that from pre historic times men had to go and do the hunting because they were physically stronger, and women stayed home to take care of the children. It was just what was absolutely necessary for survival.  Now we don't live in the same conditions. We can go to the market and buy food, We have technology, and so it is no more essential for our survival as a species that women stay home to take care of the young. Those roles were seen as women roles because of their adaptation to their environment and not because nature mandated it.

Now you might accuse me of "googling" all this stuff again. Na your wahala be dat. But let us just say i did,  does that change the fact that it is true? will you deny something that is 10000% true just because it was googled? if 5x 5=25 in your head, does your assumption that someone else cheated and used a calculator change the fact that the answer is 25? 

My broda, i sincerely want you to look at this issue differently and i apologize if i have been a lil bit condescending at times. But some of these statements you made today are based on many wrong assumptions. I'm just trying to make you look at it a lil bit differently.

I share your disgust towards adult women that can not cook, but I know that is not what defines a good wife or mother in the world we live in today.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 5:35am On May 18, 2009
My point is even though some arguments defy the logic of nature. . .  most things are predominant.
. . . Some people are born half men, half women. . . It is however predominant that men are men and women are women . . .
Just like some people are white with long hair and some are black with short hair . . We are predominantly humans . .

90% of all living things have male and female species and whether you like it or not 99% of that 90% behave the same way. The Females conceive and give birth or lay eggs. . . they then go on to feed their off-springs . . .

It is irrelevant to subject this discussion to the exclusivity of a few species . . . You can't count more than 50 livings things that probably defy the logic of nature. . . out of perhaps the millions that exist.

For this reason, it is natural not historical for a mother to provide food for her off-springs . . . Have you not asked what precedes history. .? Where did Men learn that Women stay at home ?   It's not a consequence of history but nature . . .

I am not denying that your google stuff is right . . . I only questioned your application of it . . .
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 5:41am On May 18, 2009
What separates human beings from other animals is our rationality. We are thinking beings.  We do things that make sense, and discard ideas that we see make no sense. We do not look to nature for our code of conduct, we look to reason. That is what has kept us alive and helped us dominate over all of nature. That is why slavery was abolished, that is why human rights exist, that is why women's rights now exist, and gay and lesbian rights, etc
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by RichyBlacK(m): 5:49am On May 18, 2009
There is no debate here. If a woman can't cook, not interested in cooking and feels cooking is "shit" and "ancient" she should kindly stay out of marriage, it's not for her - she can go marry some Westerner. However, true "shons of the shoil" will not take her seriously.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Nobody: 5:53am On May 18, 2009
Krayola:

What separates human beings from other animals is our rationality. We are thinking beings. We do things that make sense, and discard ideas that we see make no sense. We do not look to nature for our code of conduct, we look to reason. That is what has kept us alive and helped us dominate over all of nature. That is why slavery was abolished, that is why human rights exist, that is why women's rights now exist, and gay and lesbian rights, etc

My gosh. I love your posts on this thread.

The ability to rationalise without vexation and profanity is really not common in men. And for that, I doff my hat for you.

Keep it up, mehn
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 5:56am On May 18, 2009
FL Gators:

The ability to rationalise without vexation and profanity is really not common in men. And for that, I doff my hat for you.

Keep it up, mehn

hmm smiley
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 6:14am On May 18, 2009
Krayola:

What separates human beings from other animals is our rationality. We are thinking beings.  We do things that make sense, and discard ideas that we see make no sense. We do not look to nature for our code of conduct, we look to reason. That is what has kept us alive and helped us dominate over all of nature. That is why slavery was abolished, that is why human rights exist, that is why women's rights now exist, and gay and lesbian rights, etc

You may have gotten it slightly wrong there. We actually do a mixture of both.
Men lust after women for most of their lives and can't back the act up even with a silly reason . . .
It's a bloody response to nature. . . .

Reason is when a Man knows he should avoid infidelity and he does. .

Nature is what makes a woman startle as she ears her crying baby. . . not reason. .
Nature is the instinctive and unflinching desire to deny yourself for the sake of your children. .

We always do a bit of both. . .

The problem sometimes is not knowing when to apply reason. . . .
A woman that cooks for her child does it out of nature. . not reason.
When she doesn't . . . . it's reason. Like "I can't cook" !

No one debates about a woman that can cook . . . People will think you are insane. 
There are 5 pages already about a woman who can't cook. . . . Doesn't that tell you something is wrong ?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 6:18am On May 18, 2009
Reason: /ri:z'n/
nateevs:

Men lust after women for most of their lives and can't back the act up even with a silly reason . . .

Nature is what makes a woman startle as she ears her crying baby. . . not reason. .
Nature is the instinctive and unflinching desire to deny yourself for the sake of your children. .

No one debates about a woman that can cook . . . People will think you are insane. 
There are 5 pages already about a woman who can't cook. . . . Doesn't that tell you something is wrong ?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by SeanT21(f): 6:27am On May 18, 2009
Damn,I can not believe I missed this hot topic. This is what I get for being to busy for Nairaland. cry cry

YES,A WOMAN SHOULD KNOW HOW TO COOK.Plain and Simple.A woman should know her way around the kitchen.Its a basic life skill.There is something special about a woman that can fry,boil and mix things together.Trying new recipes now and then and being able to gist to family members about the new dish in town.Cooking is an art and should be embrace by women around the world.Some women will use the "my mommy did not teach me how to cook" as an excuse.That is just an excuse to cover up for their laziness. How hard is it to buy a cook book and make various dishes by following the recipe.

All mothers should teach their daughters how to cook.Its part of being a woman.If You expect your husband to protect You and the family, To fix your car when broken or to fix the computer when it brakes down then you should expect him to call on you to fix him a hot plate.

I don't agree with some posters saying that a woman who does not know how to cook is not a woman.She is just an incomplete woman.

The moral of the story is that WOMAN SHOULD KNOW HOW TO COOK AND MEN SHOULD KNOW HOW TO FIX A BROKEN SINK.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 6:31am On May 18, 2009
FL Gators:

The ability to rationalise without vexation and profanity is really not common in men. And for that,  I doff my hat for you.

Keep it up, mehn

chei!! My head don dey swell now. thank u o!!  smiley
nateevs:

Your entire post makes no sense,  AGAIN.

If cooking was natural it won't have to be taught. She would innately know how. Natural means uncultivated, spontaneous. Cooking is a human convention, and is more of a luxury than a necessity for survival. Just like reading, driving, etc.

Now you are probably going to say because cooking is directly associated with feeding, which is a woman's role in nature, that makes it natural,  but like i said in today's world a mother can make sure her child is very very well fed without physically preparing the meals or even knowing how to.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 6:50am On May 18, 2009
There you go again talking about sense without watching ya back side. . .

Have you never heard Sex being taught. . . ? Does that make it any less natural?
Even child birth is taught . . .
Language is taught . . . . That one too is not natural?

This is not a lab mate. . . keep those scientific thots to yourself . . . You can't explain everything like a freak . . . What are you on about . . ?
Cooking is a luxury like Driving ? . . .brb. . . . I need to clear out my house . . I need space to laugh!
Imagine the lengths you are going to prove your points.

Cooking is natural . . . Whether you choose to believe it or not and a Woman must know how to cook. .
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 7:03am On May 18, 2009
nateevs:

There you go again talking about sense without watching ya back side. . .

Have you never heard Sex being taught. . . ? Does that make it any less natural?
Even child birth is taught . . .
Language is taught . . . . That one too is not natural?

This is not a lab mate. . . keep those scientific thots to yourself . . . You can't explain everything like a freak . . . What are you on about . . ?
Cooking is a luxury like Driving ? . . .brb. . . . I need to clear out my house . . I need space to laugh!

Cooking is natural . . . Whether you choose to believe it or not and a Woman must know how to cook. .

You can't just make the rules up as you go along.

You want to make up your own definitions to words now, abi?

I'm going to bed. But it's pretty obvious you have nothing left to say that will help your case in any meaningful way. later, smiley
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by allycat: 8:19am On May 18, 2009
Knowing how to Cook is relative. I have eaten meals which I felt were nasty and another person at the same table ate the same meal with relish. I know of a friend whose husband complained of her cooking and kept comparing it to his mothers. Eventually she made an effort to find out what mamas magic was and it turned out to be what some of us call rotten tomatoes. While she (the wife) was brought up to make stew with fresh tomatoes ,hubby was brought up eating stew made from slightly mangy tomatoes. Anyway problem has been solved now. She cooks two pots of stew in her house one for hubby and one for herself and the kids. So it goes to prove that one mans good soup is another mans poison. So that same woman whom you say can't cook may have her culinary skills appreciated elsewhere.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by socpred(m): 10:27am On May 18, 2009
First of all, a woman's inability to cook does not in any way make her any less of a woman.
However, I also think it's intuitive that every woman (and every man for that matter) should have at least the basic culinary skills.
That said, if both a man and his wife don't know how to cook, then they should have KFC, Pizza hut, etc on speed dial! cheesy
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 11:24am On May 18, 2009
socpred:

First of all, a woman's inability to cook does not in any way make her any less of a woman.
However, I also think it's intuitive that every woman (and every man for that matter) should have at least the basic culinary skills.
That said, if both a man and his wife don't know how to cook, then they should have KFC, Pizza hut, etc on speed dial! cheesy

Are u from planet earth or mecury?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by bsanya(f): 12:35pm On May 18, 2009
It is very vital dat ur woman shud know how to cook

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Tell Your Spouse You Cheated If The Lord Asks You To? / The Marine Girl I Dated / What's The Other Side Of This Coin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.