Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? (10991 Views)

Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Woman To Divorce Husband Over Bride Price / Am I Wrong In Wanting To Have A Child By A White Man But Not Marry One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 7:41pm On May 17, 2009
My wife must be a good cook but I don't expect her to sit around the house waiting on me. I would want her to have her own dreams and I'll be there to support her in realizing them. As an African man it would just be nice to have my wife hook me up with some nice iyan and asepo every now and then. What matters most to me is ambition.  I want a woman that is driven to succeed,  just in case something happens to me I know my family will be alright cause my wifey is a soldier!!
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 8:41pm On May 17, 2009
@Krayola

You are yarning the biggest dust I have heard on this forum.

Do men have some kind of natural allergy to doing these things?

No men don't . . . and Men should help their Wives when they can. . but saying it is not compulsory for a woman to know how to do these things is a stupid assertion.

There is nothing appalling about it.  My mother is a great cook,  she cooked once in a while but she also had businesses to run. She didn't hang around the kitchen all the time, but she is a great mother nonetheless. This whole idea that a woman that does not do household chores is not a real woman is just ridiculous. In fact if my mother had played the traditional house-wife role, my life and all my siblings would have gone to sh!t when my late father passed

You are talking about two different things here. Your mum did not have all the time for the kitchen is entirely different from saying your Mum does not know how to cook.
What is not appalling? Have you tried life with a Mum that can't cook? Unfortunately she had to step into Dad's shoes when he left . . .but she must have cared about how you fed and what you fed on. . .
She must have disagreed sometimes with what you ate sometimes and must have picked up a fight sometimes with whoever it was that prepared your food about the constituents of the meal . .

With a woman that can't cook, it's different. She just doesn't bloody know how . . . She can't tell the difference between good food and bad food as long as it tastes sweet. . . 

Don't you get it.

Look at all the top universities in the developed countries and u'll notice women are doing waaaaaay better than men in terms of grades and %age of students that actually graduate. Men still dey nairaland dey blow guy on top nothin. Besides, lots of men now are willing to stay at home and help raise kids. I personally wouldn't mind splitting that responsibility with my future wife. Women are working harder than men nowadays, and it is only a matter of time before they start running sh!t. Na only for Africa men still dey make mouth,  women no dey for talk talk,  they are doin the damn thing!!

Don't even bring that developed countries thing into this. How many times do you see the so called "developed countries" advertise cooked food with the man cooking the food for the family. It's always the woman. .You see a picture of a white man and his kids at the table waiting for the woman to bring the food.
Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Tesco and countless other little brands have all featured adverts with a Mum cooking and serving her Children. . . or Making a sandwich and putting it in a flask for the kids. . . In documetaries, movies anything you chose from . . .
That tells you that even oyinbo sef sabi say na woman dey cook food.[b] It's a symbol of Motherhood worldwide. . .and it knows no skin colour or race. . . . or status of countires [/b]as you put it. . . 21st century or otherwise as your other lady folks put it. . .I don't bloody care how you twist it. .

21st century, Technology and Civilzation as a whole is meant to make life easier . . not make excuses for not living up to our natural responsibilities to our off-springs.

I am a bloody damn good cook . . My mum taught me how to cook from the age of 10. My Mum and Wifey love me f.ucking much for that. . I love being in the kitchen because I can make damn good meals. . . I cook for my girl and that's what I hope to be as a Husband as well. . . but I will be f.ucking nuts to settle with a girl who doesn't even know when water boils. . . are really in your right mind?
How the hell will I know how to cook and be a potential good husband and father (cooking-wise at least) to my future family if Mum didn't know how to cook?
You want a Man to be able to help his wife in the kitchen and exempt his Mum from teaching him how to cook at the same time?  . . How about a better case of mega-contradiction ? . . . . 

What a load of dust!

Your argument has so many holes in it, might as well be a basket. I'll just say this though cause I don't feel like writing an essay right now. A mother not cooking does not necessarily result in a malnourished child.
So are- reading to your kids, helping them with their homework, and other acts of affection towards the child. Last time I checked a mother that worked as a professional in order to provide the best for her kids was doing a noble thing,  . .
And fathers are not supposed to know these things? Why not?
You are trying to prove that a woman that can not cook WILL end up with unhealthy children with bad upbringing, that will fail due to a lack of intelligence.  Good luck with that,  so far you are doing a lousy job though.

Your argument is the one that's gone bunkers. . . . A woman that sees not knowing how to cook for her Children an imperative. . .

1. Never had good upbringing
2. Will not be able to clean the kitchen because she can't and therefore
3. Will not be able to clean the house which also means
4. She will be dirty and untidy and will
5. Eventually spread diseases to her family and
6. Can't read to her Child . . . at least not about cleanliness and responsibility
7. Can't help them with their homework. . . especially when it's Home Economics. So for that reason,
8. Can't bond well with her Children and
9. Can't be a good Mother . . . . simple as!

You are very confused with the difference between not knowing how to cook and not having the time to cook. . . that's why you keep bringing in this professional thing into the fray of things. You are confused. .

What if she's not a professional ? Oh! You neva thought about that. . .
What if she doesn't work?
What if she neva had a bloody damn education ? . . She sits at home on her back side everyday and will not cook for her Children? . . .
Is you on drugs or something? . . .

A woman that can't cook will feed her children with junk food (McDonalds, KFC, Chinese et al) and because junk food are always prepared for financial profit. . . She will end up with unhealthy Children . . It's not difficult to understand . . Honestly. 

Being a professional, living in a developed country or however you intend to twist it is not a damn good excuse not knowing how to cook . . . It's a f.ucking disgrace!

Why don't you go around the office you work in that developed country you reside and ask the married women if their primary responsibility is not to cook for their Children . . . before you come giving us some utter crap.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by latch(m): 10:14pm On May 17, 2009
should this really be a topic ?

Of course every wife MUST know how to cook. If you don't, you werent well brought up by your mother, and if thats the case, you likely won't bring my daughters up well, and that may cause issues with them and their husbands, which may then cause issues for me in my old age.

Then again, I personally think that a girl that can't cook must be quite silly, considering that I'm a regular beer drinking, football watching, girl chasing guy, and yet I can cook 6 different soups, and bake 8 different types of cakes of hand.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by dwonder(m): 10:53pm On May 17, 2009
You guys can cure someone with high blood pressure with some of your comments.

My question is why must a woman breastfeed her baby, ok she doesn't have 2 breastfeed but why must her breast be swollen with milk.

NATURE is my answer. Women folk have d responsibility to feed d family. Check any culture d woman controls the kitchen.
I asked my wife this question and she simply asked which woman doesn't know how to cook showing that women too know that naturally its their job.
I believe in equality so I sometimes help my wife with cooking I actually cooked dinner.

I believe the man and woman should share responsibilities equally , the man should breastfeed like d woman, man should go thro labour pains like d woman. D woman should pay dowry on the man like d man does.

A woman needs 2 know how 2 cook while d success of a relationship may not b based on that, however either man on woman has d right to use a yardstick to measure his or her future partner.
Atleast this is based on equal rights.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by TOPE20001(f): 10:56pm On May 17, 2009
It is not compulsory undecided
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by scktaggif: 11:10pm On May 17, 2009
[b]I rather marry a deaf and dumb/blind and cripple (all combined) lady who can cook than marry a complete lady who can’t cook. If it’s a piece of furniture we know its furniture. Food is as important as sex in marriage life, we eat everyday and we can stay months without having sex with your partner. How can you eat someone else’s food until you grow old (GOD FIRBID), Even if you have a maid, she needs to cook sometimes. This is NL

I want to say this statement is wrong “a woman who doesn’t know how to cook” because she can’t be addressed as a woman, you can use girl, lady, female or whatever. It’s like saying a doctor who just got admitted to study medicine you can only be addressed as a doctor after graduation.

If you can’t cook, am sorry you are not a woman even if you have 20 children, you can be a mother but not woman. Just anyone can be a mother.

The word “woman” goes with some responsibilities and cooking is part of it.

Someone that thinks it’s sexism for the woman to be in charge of the kitchen, I have to laugh again.[/b]
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 11:20pm On May 17, 2009
If you can’t cook you don’t deserve a husband just like a man who can’t take care of his family doesn’t deserve to have one.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by tpiah: 11:24pm On May 17, 2009
scktaggif:

If you can’t cook, am sorry you are not a woman

yeswecant:

If you can’t cook you don’t deserve a husband

wonderful.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 11:32pm On May 17, 2009
nateevs:

. . but saying it is not compulsory for a woman to know how to do these things is a stupid assertion.

Please look "stupid" up in the dictionary, read the rest of YOUR post, and see how well the definition describes what you wrote.

nateevs:

You are talking about two different things here. Your mum did not have all the time for the kitchen is entirely different from saying your Mum does not know how to cook.

My mum hardly ever cooked. I have four sisters that are married and can cook. My mother NEVER EVER called them into a kitchen to learn how to cook. Two of them are lawyers, one just finished med school, and the other has a Masters degree and is a "house-wife" by choice because her husband is a doctor and works weird hours. They learned how to cook the same way I did,  by being curious kids. My mother's ability to cook had nothing to do with the way we were raised. You see, my dear friend, I have met a lot of well brought women who can not cook AT ALL, but are very morally up-right, well educated, volunteer lots of time to community service and contribute positively to society. According to your "ingenious" assertion they were badly raised,  and I'm the stupid one? ,  Please think about the argument you are defending,  When i called it ridiculous, it was more of a compliment than an insult.

nateevs:

What is not appalling? Have you tried life with a Mum that can't cook? Unfortunately she had to step into Dad's shoes when he left . . .but she must have cared about how you fed and what you fed on. . .

YES SHE DID,   Please explain to me why mothers that can't cook (henceforth called MTCC grin ) do not care what their children eat. YOu are not making strong arguments. Replying you is starting to feel like a waste of time, seriously. You know you actually have to make sense to convince people, right? I'm trying hard to be civil here but its getting really tempting to just call u names like sexist and chauvinist ,  bottom line is that you feel a woman`s job is to cook for you and your kids, and as long as she can not do that she is useless, i.e. has no worth or value as a wife, is a liability, might as well be a log of wood.

nateevs:

With a woman that can't cook, it's different. She just doesn't bloody know how . . . She can't tell the difference between good food and bad food as long as it tastes sweet. . . 

nateevs:

Don't even bring that developed countries thing into this. How many times do you see the so called "developed countries" advertise cooked food with the man cooking the food for the family. It's always the woman. .You see a picture of a white man and his kids at the table waiting for the woman to bring the food.
Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's, Tesco and countless other little brands have all featured adverts with a Mum cooking and serving her Children. . . or Making a sandwich and putting it in a flask for the kids. . . In documetaries, movies anything you chose from .That tells you that even oyinbo sef sabi say na woman dey cook food.[b] It's a symbol of Motherhood worldwide. . .and it knows no skin colour or race. . . . or status of countires [/b]as you put it. . . 21st century or otherwise as your other lady folks put it.
I don't bloody care how you twist it. . . .

WOW!!! I don't believe you actually you just used advertising to defend your warped view of gender roles.  You learn how the world should work from commercials? No wonder you are so full of IGBE!! You know say for commercial dog dey talk, woman dey follow man go house because she like him deodorant, Mountain dew dey make old woman fit do slam dunk, etc.

Lets pretend everything you say is 100% accurate,  that a woman's goal in life is to live up to the ideals of Lipton and Kraft commercials. How would you explain ancient Matriarchal culture,  Ashanti, Tuareg etc. Things change,  things that seem like norms today are not necessarily the way things have always been, and therefore isn't the way things will always be. Read books, feed your head,  stop going around saying the type of nonsense you are saying here,  please,  its just friendly advice.

nateevs:

I am a bloody damn good cook . . My mum taught me how to cook from the age of 10. My Mum and Wifey love me f.ucking much for that. . I love being in the kitchen because I can make damn good meals. . . I cook for my girl and that's what I hope to be as a Husband as well. . . but I will be f.ucking nuts to settle with a girl who doesn't even know when water boils. . . are really in your right mind?
How the hell will I know how to cook and be a potential good husband and father (cooking-wise at least) to my future family if Mum didn't know how to cook?

Like I said, my mother taughtt neither me nor any of my sisters how to cook. She must have been a terrible mother with useless kids.

Things are not true just because you say so,  I respect you right to hold your distorted views, but don't dare try to present that nonsense as the way things should be,  next thing you know it'll be another "holy" crusade against MTCC

nateevs:

You want a Man to be able to help his wife in the kitchen and exempt his Mum from teaching him how to cook at the same time?  . . How about a better case of mega-contradiction ? . . . . 
I guess everyone that wasn't raised like you really got a shitty deal out of life,  oh well,  I'll just go hang myself now.  please tell me there isn't much more of this I have to read through

nateevs:

What a load of dust!

Your argument is the one that's gone bunkers. . . . A woman that sees not knowing how to cook for her Children an imperative. . .

1. Never had good upbringing
2. Will not be able to clean the kitchen because she can't and therefore
3. Will not be able to clean the house which also means
4. She will be dirty and untidy and will
5. Eventually spread diseases to her family and
6. Can't read to her Child . . . at least not about cleanliness and responsibility
7. Can't help them with their homework. . . especially when it's Home Economics. So for that reason,
8. Can't bond well with her Children and
9. Can't be a good Mother . . . . simple as!

You are very confused with the difference between not knowing how to cook and not having the time to cook. . . that's why you keep bringing in this professional thing into the fray of things. You are confused. .

What if she's not a professional ? Oh! You neva thought about that. . .
What if she doesn't work?
What if she neva had a bloody damn education ? . . She sits at home on her back side everyday and will not cook for her Children? . . .
Is you on drugs or something? . . .

A woman that can't cook will feed her children with junk food (McDonalds, KFC, Chinese et al) and because junk food are always prepared for financial profit. . . She will end up with unhealthy Children . . It's not difficult to understand . . Honestly. 

Being a professional, living in a developed country or however you intend to twist it is not a damn good excuse not knowing how to cook . . . It's a f.ucking disgrace!

Why don't you go around the office you work in that developed country you reside and ask the married women if their primary responsibility is not to cook for their Children . . . before you come giving us some utter crap.

My broda,  i don tire,  but i no fit follow you debate again. Na mistake to even start in the first place,  you are dragging me lower and lower with every post. Very soon I'll be in the realm of idiocy where i won't have the technical know-how to compete with you. ciao.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 11:49pm On May 17, 2009
@ Krayola

You are not communicating. The vacuity in your comments is just something else, a woman who doesn't cook and can't cook are different. You said your mother hardly cooks but she can cook and will do it when the need arises.

A woman who can’t cook is a curse to her children/generation
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by biina: 12:05am On May 18, 2009
I don't get what all the 'ooh! ahhh!!' is all about.
All will never agree on this issue, and trying to convince someone else of your opinion is likely a waste of time.
A man, who feels a woman needs to be able to cook, will not marry one that can't, and men that feel otherwise will accommodate women that can't cook.
For me cooking is much further down in my list, as there are more important characteristics that you need to possess.
To each his own.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 12:08am On May 18, 2009
yeswecan:

@ Krayola

You are not communicating. The vacuity in your comments is just something else, a woman who doesn't cook and can't cook are different. You said your mother hardly cooks but she can cook and will do it when the need arises.
My mother cooked on special occasions only,   maybe 3 times a year,   my dads birthday, and some other family events. She was not involved in our day to day feeding, and never taught anyone how to cook. I think her children turned out pretty well. My point is that her ability to cook had little to no effect on our upbringing. She came home in the evenings, helped us with home work, told us stories, sang to us, and showed us that motherly affection in other ways. #1 mum in my book,  my mother is a LEGEND!!!

yeswecan:

A woman who can’t cook is a cause to her children/generation

I think you meant "curse"  smiley.  

It would be nice if for the sake of a good debate, which is really all i'm interested in, if you guys backed up these claims with stuff that actually adds up,  u know, makes sense.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 12:33am On May 18, 2009
Krayola thanks for your correction, I will appreciate if we don't take this personal there is no need to mention your mom lets view this from a general angle. The topic reads “Is It Compulsory for a Woman to Know How to Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doesn’t? This is different from what you have illustrated at least you agreed that you mum cooks on special occasions. Her cooking must be special for you to remember how many times she actually cooks in a year and she offers her cooking on special occasions. We are on same page; you are confused with the difference between not knowing how to cook and not having the time to cook.

For your mum to offer her cooking on special occasion, then she knows the value of good food and she is indeed a special mother. This is very different from a woman that doesn’t know how to cook, it comes with a package; laziness, dirtiness, bad upbringing /curse to her children.

Krayola, my wife might not be the main cook, but she has to know how to cook, period.

By the way I miss my mother’s Ogbolo and Pounded yam, sometimes I feel like asking her to courier a plate of prepared soup and pounded yam over to Switzerland.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by nateevs(m): 12:51am On May 18, 2009
@Krayola

Please look "stupid" up in the dictionary, read the rest of YOUR post, and see how well the definition describes what you wrote.

If you think that me saying a woman has no reason to say she can't cook is stupid . . then you need help . . . all the help you can get bro . . .

My mum hardly ever cooked. I have four sisters that are married and can cook. My mother NEVER EVER called them into a kitchen to learn how to cook. Two of them are lawyers, one just finished med school, and the other has a Masters degree and is a "house-wife" by choice because her husband is a doctor and works weird hours. They learned how to cook the same way I did,  by being curious kids. My mother's ability to cook had nothing to do with the way we were raised. You see, my dear friend, I have met a lot of well brought women who can not cook AT ALL, but are very morally up-right, well educated, volunteer lots of time to community service and contribute positively to society. According to your "ingenious" assertion they were badly raised,  and I'm the stupid one? ,  Please think about the argument you are defending,  When i called it ridiculous, it was more of a compliment than an insult.

You have a problem with understanding. . . and you reason like an infant. You terribly underestimate the direct and indirect influence of a mother on a child. . If your Mum did not know how to cook, you won't be curious. You cannot naturally be curious to know how. . . except you meet someone in your life and you are willing to accept your inadequacies.
A woman who lives on earth for 25 to 30 years . . and can't cook is nonchalant. . and bad behaviour is like a vicious circle . . . If you are lazy at one thing, you will be lazy at other things.

Your mum's lack of time to go to the kitchen is far different from laxity and nonchalance . . Her hard-working nature transcends to her off-springs indirectly but you can't see it. . .  Growing up as children, you watched your Mum and you picked up the habits of curiosity and will to learn from her. . . If she did not know how to cook, she must have been neglectful of her responsibilities and that will be passed on to you and you can't talk of curiosity . . . .  (and sorry for referring to your Mum like this . . I don't like it but for the purpose of arguments)

Get your facts right Man. . . Not having time is different from not knowing how!

And pls spare our sights with this crap . . . I can bet my balls you don't know any woman who doesn't know how to cook let alone talk about their high moral standards. . . How can a Woman volunteer for community service when she can't cook ? . . Do you think we are fools ? . . Women that can't cook are lazy women who don't recognize the essence of responsibilities and don't pay attention to Motherhood . . . How can they deem it fit to Volunteer for someone else when they clearly need help?

You really should take a break now!

YES SHE DID,   Please explain to me why mothers that can't cook (henceforth called MTCC grin ) do not care what their children eat. YOu are not making strong arguments. Replying you is starting to feel like a waste of time, seriously. You know you actually have to make sense to convince people, right? I'm trying hard to be civil here but its getting really tempting to just call u names like sexist and chauvinist ,  bottom line is that you feel a woman`s job is to cook for you and your kids, and as long as she can not do that she is useless, i.e. has no worth or value as a wife, is a liability, might as well be a log of wood.

The emboldened is a confirmation of the fact that you don't read well. . . You still write this crap even when I clearly said this:-

Check the bold letters. . . . I must be wasting my time with you. .
All the time talking with you. I never mentioned "Woman cooking for me" . . neither did I mention "Woman cooking for her husband" . . I kept saying "Woman cooking for her Children". . . Balogun what is difficult to understand?

You may be right about the second sentence though. . . A woman has not any worth or value she can claim if she can't cook for her kids. . . period!

WOW!!! I don't believe you actually you just used advertising to defend your warped view of gender roles,  you learn how the world should work from commercials? No wonder you are so full of IGBE!! You know say for commercial dog dey talk, woman dey follow man go house because she like him deodorant, Mountain dew dey make old woman fit do slam dunk, etc.
Lets pretend everything you say is 100% accurate,  that a woman's goal in life is to live up to the ideals of Lipton and Kraft commercials. How would you explain ancient Matriarchal culture,  Ashanti, Tuareg etc. Things change,  things that seem like norms today are not necessarily the way things have always been, and therefore isn't the way things will always be. Read books, feed your head,  stop going around saying the type of nonsense you are saying here,  please,  its just friendly advice.

If you can understand simple description, you should not be given the luxury of a user account on this forum. I used the analogy of foreign advert to express that the supposed "developed countries" that you quote know the essence of a woman in the kitchen so much so they use this blessing of nature you are refuting - and I called it "The symbol of Motherhood" - to express that a woman feeds her children.

Just like you you see an advert of Knorr Cubes in Lagos Nigeria with a Woman in the kitchen, you see the same with some other product in Britain, The US or any other "Developed Countries"  you want to quote. . . It's a symbol of Motherhood and it knows no Skin colour or Race. . .

A woman's natural instinct is to cook for her Children . . That's why God gave her breasts. . . It's nature, it's not what we make it to be
A female bird goes to find food for it's little off-springs. . . A female lion kills animals and feeds its cubs . . and every facet of nature repeats the same features and you are here giving dumb excuses for why a Woman can't cook. . .

If you can't accept on a forum that it's bad for a woman not to know how to cook, then it means you can't tell it to her face . . Therefore you are a weak man and don't deserve to be called one . . cos you don't even understand who a woman is in the first place. . . .

Carry your infection go front abeg . . . . . I am done with this joker
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 1:10am On May 18, 2009
It is funny how some people think it's civilization for women not to know how to cook. don't miss film and reality.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 1:20am On May 18, 2009
yeswecan:

Krayola thanks for your correction, I will appreciate if we don't take this personal there is no need to mention your mom lets view this from a general angle. The topic reads “Is It Compulsory for a Woman to Know How to Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doesn’t?  This is different from what you have illustrated at least you agreed that you mum cooks on special occasions.  Her cooking must be special for you to remember how many times she actually cooks in a year and she offers her cooking on special occasions. We are on same page; you are confused with the difference between not knowing how to cook and not having the time to cook.

For your mum to offer her cooking on special occasion, then she knows the value of good food and she is indeed a special mother. This is very different from a woman that doesn’t know how to cook, it comes with a package; laziness, dirtiness, bad upbringing /curse to her children.

Krayola, my wife might not be the main cook, but she has to know how to cook, period.

By the way I miss my mother’s Ogbolo and Pounded yam, sometimes I feel like asking her to courier a plate of prepared soup and pounded yam over to Switzerland.

I won't marry a woman that can not cook. I have stated that clearly twice in this thread. But I strongly disagree that one that can not cook will be a bad wife and mother. So far no one has said anything that will change my mind. I understand that we have gone slightly off topic, but as long as we are still engaging in constructive debate why the hell not?

Krayola:

Big yansh wey no sabi how to cook ikokore, na the same tin like konkolo yansh to me  grin

Krayola:

My wife must be a good cook but I don't expect her to sit around the house waiting on me. I would want her to have her own dreams and I'll be there to support her in realizing them. As an African man it would just be nice to have my wife hook me up with some nice iyan and asepo every now and then. What matters most to me is ambition.  I want a woman that is driven to succeed,  just in case something happens to me I know my family will be alright cause my wifey is a soldier!!

My objection was to claims like the one you just made, and that nateevs has been defending -  that a woman that can not cook, and was not taught how to by her parents, is worthless as a wife or mother (you even said they came in a package, and listed all the qualities that came with lack of cooking skills.  you provided no logical explanation for this cause-effect relationship that your whole argument is based on). I think that is a very narrow way to look at it. For some people that is just not a priority when raising their children. 

What about mothers that play musical instruments and spend time bonding with their children by teaching them that,  what about mothers that work extra jobs to be able to send their children to the best schools? Do you think they are bad mothers because they can not cook ogbono?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 1:58am On May 18, 2009
i just saw ur comments.
Krayola:

I won't marry a woman that can not cook. I have stated that clearly twice in this thread. But I strongly disagree that one that can not cook will be a bad wife and mother. So far no one has said anything that will change my mind. I understand that we have gone slightly off topic, but as long as we are still engaging in constructive debate why the hell not?

My objection was to claims like the one you just made, and that nateevs has been defending - that a woman that can not cook, and was not taught how to by her parents, is worthless as a wife or mother (you even said they came in a package, and listed all the qualities that came with lack of cooking skills. you provided no logical explanation for this cause-effect relationship that your whole argument is based on). I think that is a very narrow way to look at it. For some people that is just not a priority when raising their children.

What about mothers that play musical instruments and spend time bonding with their children by teaching them that, what about mothers that work extra jobs to be able to send their children to the best schools? Do you think they are bad mothers because they can not cook ogbono?

Did you say cooking skills? Please understand the difference between not knowing how to cook and not been a good cook. the former means she can't even make Eba, Please try to understand the subject matter.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Krayola(m): 2:01am On May 18, 2009
@ nateevs,  like I said you need to read more and feed your head.  The only thing on display here is your ignorance.

look up "Syngnathidae",  na the males dey carry pregnancy. Na male seahorses dey carry pikin up and down. MEN, YES MEN LACTATE. Men produce milk,  There are stories of men that have breast-fed their children.  

@ yeswecan,   lack of cooking skills= can't cook. Lets not get caught up in lil stuff. You know what i mean.  Im sure all women can fry an egg and make a sandwich. A 5 yr old can do that. i mean the more complicated delicacies.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by busygirl(f): 2:01am On May 18, 2009
Naija men too like food shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided
This subject is based on the individuals involved. Since when did cooking become a basis for choosing a wife If you love her enough and you feel you can't pull up with eating outside, employ or chef or simply get her to learn how to cook. But really, a woman who doesn't know how to cook doesn't mean she will necessarily be a bad wife.
This is not subject to women only, women are not slaves in marriage, they are helpers. I feel a man must know how to cook too. I must have read somewhere on this thread saying women have to wash clothes, cook, bla bla bla undecided undecided undecided who says a men are immune to house chores
I was told by my mum, that when we were little, my dad cooked and washes clothes when she's not around. He does have a job, but when he's less busy he feels he needs to help, as a woman cannot tear herself into 1001 pieces  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:05am On May 18, 2009
the chores n cooking should be mutual. . . . .i mean wat if ur wife is pregnant, i have always said this n i keep sayin it, a man that let his wife do all d work while she's pregnant dont deserve that child and does not appreciate the lady
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 2:12am On May 18, 2009
acidrop:

the chores n cooking should be mutual. . . . .i mean wat if ur wife is pregnant, i have always said this n i keep sayin it, a man that let his wife do all d work while she's pregnant dont deserve that child and does not appreciate the lady

You missed the topic

Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? This is different from what u are saying
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:14am On May 18, 2009
MR yeswecan, u would have put up some rules and regulation up on howto respond to the topic now. . . . . .i dont have 2 answer yes or no, am not the type to go down whitout atleast a little delibration. . . . . .so therefore, if a guy dont wanna marry a chick who dont know hw to cook, its easy dont or better still teach her how to
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 2:15am On May 18, 2009
Why do you keep changing the topic? Nobody is disputing the fact that men should help with regular house chores; but saying that a woman's inability to cook does not tell you anything about her person is just insane. It's just like a man that cannot shave his damn self, or a 40 year old city man that cannot drive! (or even a chicken that cannot find worms for her chicks) I can make you the best confectionaries and soups all day, but a wife that can't make me coffee and boiled eggs for breakfast on a bad morning. . .   chaaa. I don't want my wife mowing the lawn in the morning, and i don't want to find myself stitching my daughters ballet attire (even though I can, and I would if necessary); neither do I want my find my wife outside nailing the leaking roof (even if she can), just as I don't want to braid my daughter's hair (even if I can, and I would if necessary). There are just some things men and women must know how to do-- things that complete them.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:24am On May 18, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Why do you keep changing the topic? Nobody is disputing the fact that men should help with regular house chores; but saying that a woman's inability to cook does not tell you anything about her person is just insane. It's just like a man that cannot shave his damn self, or a 40 year old city man that cannot drive! (or even a chicken that cannot find worms for her chicks) I can make you the best confectionaries and soups all day, but a wife that can't make me coffee and boiled eggs for breakfast on a bad morning. . . chaaa. I don't want my wife mowing the lawn in the morning, and i don't want to find myself stitching my daughters ballet attire (even though I can, and I would if necessary); neither do I want my find my wife outside nailing the leaking roof (even if she can), just as I don't want to braid my daughter's hair (even if I can, and I would if necessary). There are just some things men and women must know how to do-- things that complete them.
lol u havent seen anything yet. , . . n u will be in a situation that u have no choice but be reasonable, now wat would u say to a gurl who was not exposed to the cooking and housekeeping environment, u think everywhere is like ur immediate environment. . . . . plus there is no way u can compare personal hygiene such as shaving to inability to cook, thats jst an akward example, n ur 2nd example, is it not who has a car that will learn hw to drive one. . . . .i bet our forefathers died whitout the skills of riding a car
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 2:30am On May 18, 2009
scktaggif:

[b]I rather marry a deaf and dumb/blind and cripple (all combined) lady who can cook than marry a complete lady who can’t cook. If it’s a piece of furniture we know its furniture. Food is as important as sex in marriage life, we eat everyday and we can stay months without having sex with your partner. How can you eat someone else’s food until you grow old (GOD FIRBID), Even if you have a maid, she needs to cook sometimes. This is NL

I want to say this statement is wrong “a woman who doesn’t know how to cook” because she can’t be addressed as a woman, you can use girl, lady, female or whatever. It’s like saying a doctor who just got admitted to study medicine you can only be addressed as a doctor after graduation.

If you can’t cook, am sorry you are not a woman even if you have 20 children, you can be a mother but not woman. Just anyone can be a mother.

Someone that thinks it’s sexism for the woman to be in charge of the kitchen, I have to laugh again.[/b]

I like this comment
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:32am On May 18, 2009
ofcourse. . . . because its discriminatory huh? u guys are soooooooooo single minded i swear
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 2:34am On May 18, 2009
@ acidrop

Ignorance is not an excuse. If she is not exposed to the cooking and housekeeping environment she has to learn them before getting married
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:36am On May 18, 2009
believe it or not moments of realisation may be after marriage proceeds, . . . plus its not ignorance dats the excuse here, its the unavailability
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by yeswecan(m): 2:41am On May 18, 2009
unavailability, ha ha ha ha ha you are a funny one. then she should make it available before getting married this is not a matter of been single minded, we are talking about marriage.
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 2:43am On May 18, 2009
acidrop:

believe it or not moments of realisation may be after marriage proceeds,  . . . plus its not ignorance dats the excuse here, its the unavailability
acidrop:

lol u havent seen anything yet. ,  . . n u will be in a situation that u have no choice but be reasonable, now wat would u say to a gurl who was not exposed to the cooking and housekeeping environment, u think everywhere  is like ur immediate environment. . . . . plus there is no way u can compare personal hygiene such as shaving to inability to cook, thats jst an akward example, n ur 2nd example, is it not who has a car that will learn hw to drive one. . . . .i bet our forefathers died whitout the skills of riding a car

now I see so much 'reason' in that. Unavailability of what? the kettle, or the firewood?
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by acidrop(f): 2:50am On May 18, 2009
on the environment to learn one, now this jst prove how single minded u guys are, jst because we are africans and all that n familiar with cooking n all that, i gat a friend who dont know how to boil water cos she grew up in an orphanage home no parents, and they were not even allowed near the kicthen, incase they run away or something, so their are conditions out there, that are exempted
wat u guys are supposed to say is, the lazy ones or stubborn ones that dont know hw to cook, instead u guys are generalising, datz single minded
Re: Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't? by Sammy107d(m): 2:55am On May 18, 2009
There are always conditions to most facts. That a lion can't hunt because he was kept in the zoo all his life doesn't beat the fact that naturally, all lions should be skillful hunters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Other Side Of This Coin? / Marrying Without One's Parent Consent - Is It Ideal ? / Let's Talk About Online Flirting...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.