Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids (52754 Views)

MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k / I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nuhusky: 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
One man food is another man poison
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by yungpowers(m): 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
End time Braids
END TIME JOBS

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
Always one form of discrimination or the other.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by looseweight: 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ok
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by DJMCOTTY(m): 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
This Endtime pple don dey go gaga! If u dare comment Endtime in any post again... Till den!
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by thundafire: 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2015
if dy company have dress code is it a crime 4 u 2 remove ur braid so dat u will shout discrimination
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by xreal: 1:28pm On Nov 25, 2015
Joel1981:
kk
miqos02:
hmm
tolexy007:
B
damton:
j

they all need to be banned.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by judedwriter(m): 1:28pm On Nov 25, 2015
Favolly:
End-time company or End-time braids??
both. End-time tinz.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by luvlyADESUWA(f): 1:29pm On Nov 25, 2015
UdohOby:
Would the braid affect her productivity? Na wa for some employers abeg. The problem is that, once you play by the rules, more rules will be given. Anyways, if you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen.
That's job ethics......it's even applicable to companies in Nig; eg; ladies are not allowed to fix very long weavons. Have u ever been to any bank in Nigeria and c a banker with very long weavon?
No.......simply bcx its against their ethics.
So; don't blame them at all.

5 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
PEOPLE think UK and the USA act alike.

UK has strict measures.
U can wear Bikini to your work place in America but not UK.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by miqos02(m): 1:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
xreal:

they all need to be banned.
ok
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by bettercreature(m): 1:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
UdohOby:
Would the braid affect her productivity? Na wa for some employers abeg. The problem is that, once you play by the rules, more rules will be given. Anyways, if you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen.
Your last statement sum it up,there are rules guilding each job,dress code,hair style and so on,if she can't cut her hair,she must tell her father to set up a business for her
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cao(f): 1:31pm On Nov 25, 2015
I was about to go into a long spiel about black hair and some folks' definition of good hair with respect to black hair, but I'm too lazy today to explain.

2 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:32pm On Nov 25, 2015
Some people no get sense at all. How does not allowing braid in an organisation eguals discrimination? Tell ur papa make him open work make u wear wetin u like. End time pikin

4 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by dokunbam(m): 1:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by redcliff: 1:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
UdohOby:

are you okay? is it your company or ur father's company? they have their appearance requirements and as you can see, they made that known to her.. I would be more worried about this silly girl who thinks that companies need to play by her own rules because to me, I dont see anything wrong with what the man said in his email to her.

3 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Ryda(m): 1:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
Kilomode mo angry
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by wiseoneking: 1:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
kings009:
Black is beautiful! Rep your colour babe...don't mind the shallow minded conformists that sell their PRIDE for slavery.
Poor reading comprehension. She wasn't discriminated at first. She already got the offer. Black is beautiful but she is using "ATTACHMENT" to enhance are naturally thick african hair. This is the company Policy. You dont wear hijab as a muslim teacher or student in a pure christian school. YOU GOT OPTIONS. Let us read unncessary meeting in every thing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by erico2k2(m): 1:34pm On Nov 25, 2015
mumbasa:
To God in heaven the braids are beautiful and fits her perfectly. It's absurd.

But if she were in naija she would have no problem removing dem cos guy Work Scarce Die!!
Of you work in a kitchen and ur braids won't fit into the soft hat you are given its good bye to you. On uniformed Jobs there are strict code of conduct. Some even requires you to be clean shaved.They would have had it in their code of conduct to be bold to make such statements of not they face being taken to the tribunal.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Delphi(m): 1:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
The lady is simply immature to work. Every Organization has got their modus-operandi,so, if you can't cope, u leave. This is not about discrimination nor racism. Did she not do her research before going for the interview? Just an analogy- how many times have we seen male bankers with bushy hairs or on braids? To attract publicity she shamelessly exposes her ignorance and inadvertently blocking chances of future job opportunities.

6 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by tartarus(m): 1:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
cao:
I was about to go into a long spiel about black hair and some folks' definition of good hair with respect to black hair, but I'm too lazy today to explain.

Exactly! Too many people here are white-washed. There's no need explaining.

3 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by bigtt76(f): 1:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
Yes oo! Just before she turns up at work in some red, blue, green, white or blonde colored braids lek some of us do grin
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by AOGAOG: 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2015
she could have told us the style of hair the employer want. then we can compare and contrast
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Prince29(m): 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2015
THERE IS NO DISCRIMINATION IS THEIR RULES IS EITHER U ABIDE BY IT OR U LEAVE.COME 2 NAIJA N TRY U ND REMAIN IN UR PAPAS HOUSE.END TIME BRAID AND ENDTIME GIRL.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Rubyventures: 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2015
I personally cant stand unkept braids especially when it doesn't make the person look professional in their job. I don't understand how some women can keep this on their head for 6 months. but that's a topic for another day.

This story needs to be assessed from two sides of the coin.

If the company was a racist company, she wouldn't have got the job in the first place and if the company has a strict dress code, this needs to be adhered to. It could be, it is for health and safety reasons we need to get the full story before throwing stones.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 25, 2015
Too bad she can't conform with simple organization rules.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by blessingee: 1:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
Some people just don't understand what is company policy. If their policy don't accept braids and u can't take yours off, why come to social media to cry fowl? She's just being childish.

Why don't people in the force keep beards?

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by lagdmark(m): 1:39pm On Nov 25, 2015
The employers would rather want her look more Nigerian than Jamaican
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by mohammedmagnus: 1:41pm On Nov 25, 2015
if it's discrimination against islam. and muslims you would see very happy comments.. by the time people realize that the world is sick. and not islam it would be too late
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by slap1(m): 1:44pm On Nov 25, 2015
If it is company policy, I don't see anything wrong in it. Cut the braids or work elsewhere.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Orikinla(m): 1:45pm On Nov 25, 2015
She will get a better job offer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria / Which Income Level Do You Belong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.