Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,015 members, 7,814,467 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids (52759 Views)

MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k / I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2015
To me,it isn't discrimination.It's simply company policy!If you critisize the UK,what about Nigeria?Nigeria is the worst country in terms of discrimination.A country where just your name,your tribe and your state of origin has automatically disqualified you for a job,loan,importation,school,etc.
Any Nigerian who goes about calling citizens of other countries racists is a very big idiot.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Favolly(f): 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2015
judedwriter:
both. End-time tinz.
Lol
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Favolly(f): 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2015
judedwriter:
both. End-time tinz.
Lol
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by sisisioge: 1:47pm On Nov 25, 2015
What is the fuss for? They don't want braids! Take then out! Hian! It's not like they are asking that she cuts her hair, they just want the hairstyle that goes with their uniform. After all, the military doesn't accept beards, who is screaming wolf on them? If Lara were to be job hunting here, then she would know not to fuss.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Mosh1: 1:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
That is courageous Omolara..but job scarce o.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by obstead200(m): 1:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
osesology:
The fact that she has refused to remove the braids means that she is confident of more job opportunities...thank your stars that it's not here in Naija.
But the hair no bad sha
I am sure her father is one theifing politician like that so she can afford to throw away jobs because of hair wey no be even her own.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by crackhouse(m): 1:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
Did she get the Job in a hotel or laundry? I thought it's only in Nigeria our graduates get jobs as waiters and dry cleaners. Never knew they give them job as toilet cleaners and street sweepers overseas.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by crackhouse(m): 1:59pm On Nov 25, 2015
obstead200:
I am sure her father is one theifing politician like that so she can afford to throw away jobs because of hair wey no be even her own.
u dey mind am? Hair wey belong to Brazilians.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by openmine(m): 2:04pm On Nov 25, 2015
She is quite lucky that d job was from UK...
If it was in naija she said this rubbish,you would read comments like...'whats the name of the company?'
'Are they still recruiting?' 'How much is the pay?'
grin grin grin
She never see anything... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 25, 2015
that is her problem... it is a private company, they have their rules.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by SAMBARRY: 2:08pm On Nov 25, 2015
Bottom line is they changed their minds about e mploying her and are using the braids as an excuse so they don't appear racist

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by UdohOby(f): 2:11pm On Nov 25, 2015
redcliff:

are you okay? is it your company or ur father's company? they have their appearance requirements and as you can see, they made that known to her.. I would be more worried about this silly girl who thinks that companies need to play by her own rules because to me, I dont see anything wrong with what the man said in his email to her.

With all due respect, maybe you are the one who is not ok. We are all entitled to our opinions. You should have just made your point without quoting me. I guess you didn't read my last comment that said "if you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen". If I work in a place where they have rules that I can't abide by, I would walk away. The choices are ours to make. And if I can, i'll stay. So, pls next time say whatever you want to say and face your front. Don't go on insulting people cus of their own personal opinions. Have a nice day.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 2:12pm On Nov 25, 2015
Pure and utter racism. They are basically telling her that a black woman who doesnt imitate a white woman by wearing a wig or weave or who prefers to wear natural hair styles eg braids, unrelaxed hair is not presentable enough for their organisation. This happens all the time to bkack women in the white corporate world, the more black you look the worse you are treated . Kudos to her for refusing to bow to their racism. This is why so many black women in the uk hate themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by chxe: 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ultimus:
Most sympathizers with this Lady, I believe have let their feelings run along with them. Some will even make it out into a case of discrimination against blacks when in fact it is nothing of such. Most jobs have specs that include a strictly regimented style of outward appearance including the styling of the hair. If it was deemed that she failed on that front, the recruiters are left to decide her fate, which they have done. Besides it was mentioned in the feedback she got that she will not be able to satisfy their clientele with her appearance, once again the interest of the company won over hers. It happens all over the world. I'm sorry she lost a job but people lose jobs everyday because of the smallest of nuances or under-qualification. It's a cold world, if she can learn to adapt and stop playing victim, I am sure she'll make headway.

I disagree. This is pure discrimination. Have you seen the hair styles worn by white people? Even the ones who work banks wear 'mohawks' but if you try it as a black man, then it becomes inappropriate and against company rules. I think the company did not want to employ her in the first place but they needed a stupid reason and they got one.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Badgers14: 2:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ultimus:
Most sympathizers with this Lady, I believe have let their feelings run along with them. Some will even make it out into a case of discrimination against blacks when in fact it is nothing of such. Most jobs have specs that include a strictly regimented style of outward appearance including the styling of the hair. If it was deemed that she failed on that front, the recruiters are left to decide her fate, which they have done. Besides it was mentioned in the feedback she got that she will not be able to satisfy their clientele with her appearance, once again the interest of the company won over hers. It happens all over the world. I'm sorry she lost a job but people lose jobs everyday because of the smallest of nuances or under-qualification. It's a cold world, if she can learn to adapt and stop playing victim, I am sure she'll make headway.

I see where you going with this but...

The company made a mistake or well i dont know if i should say that because i wasn't at the interview.. But anyways the company should have advised her of this requirement during interview.. Usually in interview they go over all of this with you... Like can you lift 25kg? Can you stand for 35 mins? Can you lift pull. ...kg.

Then personal grooming, no tattoes (some employers) , piercings bla bla bla..

If at all the comapy didnt advise her of the braid stuff and she had her braid on during the interview... Well i don't know if UK but in the US... She would wash away her old pot of soup and get ready for vacation to chill out in Chile grin because she have a ground for a discrimination lawsuit..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Ultimus: 2:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
chxe:

I disagree. This is pure discrimination. Have you seen the hair styles worn by white people? Even the ones who work banks wear 'mohawks' but if you try it as a black man, then it becomes inappropriate and against company rules. I think the company did not want to employ her in the first place but they needed a stupid reason and they got one.

Until you can prove it, your opinion remains a conjecture. As far as we know, companies have rules concerning appearance, what's to say this company doesn't have theirs or enforce it using double standards?

Also, you seem to forget that the recruiter conditioned her for the job, it was not an outright denial. If she can do away with the braids in bid to satisfy the interests of the company and they still refuse to offer her a job, then we can say there is foul play.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by macaranta(m): 2:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
Might just be the job requirement and not racism.
GTbank only have pretty girls as cashiers n customer rep ,does it mean they hate ugly girls?
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by chxe: 2:31pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ultimus:

Until you can prove it, your opinion remains a conjecture. As far as we know, companies have rules concerning appearance, what's to say this company doesn't have theirs or enforce it using double standards?

Also, you seem to forget that the recruiter conditioned her for the job, it was not an outright denial. If she can do away with the braids in bid to satisfy the interests of the company and they still refuse to offer her a job, then we can say there is foul play.

There is not need to prove anything to anyone. I work with them and it's not a new thing.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Dennison27(m): 2:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
boboLIL:
Thank ur God u no de naija de talk that thing....u for remain for ur papa house till.............end time trumpet
.guy i support
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Missmossy(f): 2:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
This ain't making sense one bit undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by obi123: 2:41pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ultimus:

she didnt exactly apply to join the military and if this was a requirement then it should have been stated at the interview , the dress code should have been brought up if it was a key part of the job, not offer her the job first then make it conditional.

it should have been specified at the very beginning of the application process not at decision or offer stage

why waste your time and the applicant's time going through the diff stages of employment only to churn out such BS at the end

2 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by obi123: 2:43pm On Nov 25, 2015
Badgers14:

The company made a mistake or well i dont know if i should say that because i wasn't at the interview.. But anyways the company should have advised her of this requirement during interview.. Usually in interview they go over all of this with you... Like can you lift 25kg? Can you stand for 35 mins? Can you lift pull. ...kg.

If at all the comapy didnt advise her of the braid stuff and she had her braid on during the interview... Well i don't know if UK but in the US... She would wash away her old pot of soup and get ready for vacation to chill out in Chile grin because she have a ground for a discrimination lawsuit..

exactly !! not say the job is yours but only if you can lift 25kg, they would have discussed physical abilities prior to the decision stage

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by j1mmy: 2:44pm On Nov 25, 2015
good, start showing your natural hair and stop using Indian and chinese smelly body and hair cream!
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by leGeExus(m): 2:48pm On Nov 25, 2015
boboLIL:
Thank ur God u no de naija de talk that thing....u for remain for ur papa house till.............end time trumpet
weray kilo mean.Dont forget 9ja slogan nah.Great People Great Nation grin
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by newmusic: 2:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
This is very simple, the company don't want braid, remove your braid and resume work or vice versa. I guess you are not ready to work.
You dont keep bushy hair or beards in my company, you must always be on low cut. And please this is not discrimination, it is simply the company's policy, at least they probably knew you are African before offering you the job.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 25, 2015
rubbish. the company have told you what they want. you either abide by it or you leave. Don't be stubborn
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by focus7: 3:17pm On Nov 25, 2015
The report of the discrimination beeing face in the UK by Nigerians living is unacceptable, Nigeria government should rise to the defence of its citizens residing in UK by condemning the discrimination and demanding for apology, otherwise we will be forced to revolt against British citizens here in Nigeria and their investments.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Stillfire: 3:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
I hope all those rabid, stay-losing black men that rant about weaves are seeing this.
Where are they to defend this girl?
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Vyolet(f): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2015
She does not need to take it if it doesn't suite her rules,everyone has his/her own rules too.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by manny4life(m): 3:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
Badgers14:

Which U.S. are you talking about? In which state will such happen? You think companies do not have grooming polices? Keep deceiving yourself. The company did not have to disclose any non-work related information. Can you lift 25lbs is a job requirement not a company policy, for instance policies regarding grooming and appearance, music in workplace, company benefits, etc are disclosed conditioned upon acceptance of offer not during the interview phase.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by ksam(m): 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
she should gerrarhiA mehn... is it her real hair that she cannot take it off? when I saw "discrimination ", I even thought it was dada.. let her thank her stars she's in the UK, if na Naija she for don barb molo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria / Which Income Level Do You Belong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.