Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,936 members, 7,814,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids (52757 Views)

MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k / I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by delors(m): 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2015
Lol. Larrie's news hit Frontpage in Nigeria. Nice. It's now easy to be a celeb o
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ultimus:
Most sympathizers with this Lady, I believe have let their feelings run along with them. Some will even make it out into a case of discrimination against blacks when in fact it is nothing of such. Most jobs have specs that include a strictly regimented style of outward appearance including the styling of the hair. If it was deemed that she failed on that front, the recruiters are left to decide her fate, which they have done. Besides it was mentioned in the feedback she got that she will not be able to satisfy their clientele with her appearance, once again the interest of the company won over hers. It happens all over the world. I'm sorry she lost a job but people lose jobs everyday because of the smallest of nuances or under-qualification. It's a cold world, if she can learn to adapt and stop playing victim, I am sure she'll make headway.

Rubbish. All what you wrote above to me is classified as nonsense. In fact I couldnt read the nonsense you wrote till the end. Braids is genuinely African so it is safe to say that she lost the job because she was African. That is why once I'm done with my MSc here in the U.S... I doubt if I'd stay unless I get a really great job right after. In Kanye west words (no matter how dumb i think his personality is " Racism still alive they just be concealing it" I hate racism.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by arabianights: 4:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
let's not be quick to attack her employers. WE need to know the kinda braids she had on at that point as it might not have been the one in the picture

Even in Nigeria,you cant carry stupid hairstyles in workplaces so please.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 25, 2015
blessingee:
Some people just don't understand what is company policy. If their policy don't accept braids and u can't take yours off, why come to social media to cry fowl? She's just being childish.

Why don't people in the force keep beards?
Yet another nonsense. What if the company policy says only whites can be employed,would we say the company is racist?
Put it with the understanding that Braids is genuinely black and African

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by arabianights: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
mykel231:
To me,it isn't discrimination.It's simply company policy!If you critisize the UK,what about Nigeria?Nigeria is the worst country in terms of discrimination.A country where just your name,your tribe and your state of origin has automatically disqualified you for a job,loan,importation,school,etc.
Any Nigerian who goes about calling citizens of other countries racists is a very big idiot.

What has dress sense got to do with this your response? please stick to the bone of contention
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 25, 2015
For me I don't see anything wrong in telling her to remove her braids every organization have client perceptive feedbacks which shows how the clients perceive them: and all employees as a matter of rule must work dress and abide by that principle or code. For instance, even banks in Nigeria don't accept any hair style, dress code, colour, shoes, even socks at times, And so do some organizations. So telling her to remove her braids is not that bad, they've not sacked her, they will only if she fails to remove her braids. I'm sure she must have gone through the rules of engagement before she accepted the employment offer.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by NomzyJust(m): 4:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
1. Companies have policies. 2. No staff is Irreplaceable. 3. You don't argue with your Boss. Though the hairdo won't affect her productivity but nobody is above the law.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by otiigba1(m): 4:32pm On Nov 25, 2015
I see no discrimination here besides why the rush to tell FACEBOOK? Intelligent people will try and compromise with the employer find out how they would want her hair presented meet each other halfway perhaps.

Instead she ran straight to post it on facebook, subsequently making her self unemployable now, dumb decision. will facebook make it better or offer her a job? I don't think so.

For those who are sympathising with her, perhaps you should employ her. Because i would n't employ such an arrogant and facebooking dumb individual. sad

NB: how did people survive before FACEBOOk ehn?

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by noblegrex: 4:42pm On Nov 25, 2015
osesology:
The fact that she has refused to remove the braids means that she is confident of more job opportunities...thank your stars that it's not here in Naija.
But the hair no bad sha
I tire for her!every company has its own rules and rugulation even here in Nija.make she dey there dey shout,wey some guys dey look for anything to start with.moreover,is that a discremination!
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by difego: 5:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by FabioPeter: 5:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
I doubt any bank in Nigeria will permit this style of braids. You have your rights but then there are rules, respect it or walk away.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Badgers14: 6:12pm On Nov 25, 2015
manny4life:

Which U.S. are you talking about? In which state will such happen? You think companies do not have grooming polices? Keep deceiving yourself. The company did not have to disclose any non-work related information. Can you lift 25lbs is a job requirement not a company policy, for instance policies regarding grooming and appearance, music in workplace, company benefits, etc are disclosed conditioned upon acceptance of offer not during the interview phase.

Yes and you live in all 50 states and have attended interview in all companies in the US

Stop making a foöl outta of your self here man...

Yes most companies if thats a big thing for them even have these informations in their application process... Yes.. You dont have to believe it .. Talk to the attorney near you..
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by banio: 6:18pm On Nov 25, 2015
Work has rules. I heard b4 U go into a bank's strong room. U will wear only panties under a gown, after which U will be search before entry and b4 coming out.
Some places of work will ask U to wear suite even under hot sun. Some will say barb ur hair bololo.
Anyway na money fault. Man must wack
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by creepsyme(f): 6:59pm On Nov 25, 2015
Guruscrew:
Lara Odoffin, a Nigerian living in the UK had her job offer revoked because of her hair. She was told that her braids were not part of the ‘uniform’

The Bournemouth University graduate Lara Odoffin wrote about the discrimination she had faced in a post on Facebook yesterday and was astonished when it quickly went viral and was shared 3,000 times.

She also posted a picture of the email she had received from the company, which read: ‘Unfortunately we cannot accept braids – it is simply part of the uniform and grooming requirements we get from our clients.

‘If you are unable to take them out I unfortunately won’t be able to offer you any work.’

In her own post, she wrote: ‘So after being accepted for a position within this company, they have TAKEN BACK the offer of a position on the grounds that if I do not take my braids out.

‘Naturally I simply cannot work for the company.

‘This type of discrimination should not still be happening in this day and age and any establishment still condoning such practices deserve to be shamed and criticised.

‘Being a black woman means that to have a long term hairstyle that stays neat is always going to be a problem.

‘Having braids that last for 2-4 months and can be packed neatly and styled to however a workplace requires is the solution to this problem.

‘No workplace has any right to forbid you from this.”

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154322581668776&set=a.10150497961093776.483684.631358775&type=3&theater
she is not serious, my organisation where I work right here in naija are very strict about their dress code which includes hairdo, it is clearly spelt out on intra mails intermintently but we adhere to it and work goez on.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by HastaCuando(m): 8:16pm On Nov 25, 2015
My friend remove the braids and get work. Stop disturbing us. The company codes demand that you have no braids, whats wrong about that? Either you take or you leave it. It's a choice. Everything must not be made to be seen as what they are not. It has nothing to do with racial discrimination.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 8:31pm On Nov 25, 2015
many of you people in Nigeria have never experienced racism and you don't understand how big a deal this issue is.

Black women in the west are ridiculed by whites and even some dumb brainwashed blacks whenever they go out with their natural hair, this is why the sale of wigs and weaves to black people is a multi billion dollar business, basically the whites are telling you that in order to look presentable you need to have hair like them.

I have heard white women laughing at black women's natural hair and saying how ugly it looks. This is all a form of racism, you are being ridiculed for the hair that God gave you. Racism is evil, shun anyone who mocks and ridicules you for what God gave you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fJMsI9pmc

2 Likes

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by ehissi(m): 8:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
Guruscrew:
Lara Odoffin, a Nigerian living in the UK had her job offer revoked because of her hair. She was told that her braids were not part of the ‘uniform’

The Bournemouth University graduate Lara Odoffin wrote about the discrimination she had faced in a post on Facebook yesterday and was astonished when it quickly went viral and was shared 3,000 times.

She also posted a picture of the email she had received from the company, which read: ‘Unfortunately we cannot accept braids – it is simply part of the uniform and grooming requirements we get from our clients.

‘If you are unable to take them out I unfortunately won’t be able to offer you any work.’

In her own post, she wrote: ‘So after being accepted for a position within this company, they have TAKEN BACK the offer of a position on the grounds that if I do not take my braids out.

‘Naturally I simply cannot work for the company.

‘This type of discrimination should not still be happening in this day and age and any establishment still condoning such practices deserve to be shamed and criticised.

‘Being a black woman means that to have a long term hairstyle that stays neat is always going to be a problem.

‘Having braids that last for 2-4 months and can be packed neatly and styled to however a workplace requires is the solution to this problem.

‘No workplace has any right to forbid you from this.”

https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154322581668776&set=a.10150497961093776.483684.631358775&type=3&theater

Hmmmmmm.............I hear!! undecided 3,000 views?? Question; na the babe braids them wan see abi na the company whey pursue the gal becos of braids na e people dey look for?? becos U can never tell Ooh!!

The way the world dey go so!! It is easier to look for chibok gals than to look for better work that way Oooooooh!!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 25, 2015
She is aberrant and silly. If she cannot follow simple rule what else qualifies her to be ready to conform to what the company stands for. I don't like people who want to cry foul for every little thing. This is something she can change and it is not something that has to do with race. She is rude !Jeez!
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
cap28:
many of you people in Nigeria have never experienced racism and you don't understand how big a deal this issue is.

Black women in the west are ridiculed by whites and even some dumb brainwashed blacks whenever they go out with their natural hair, this is why the sale of wigs and weaves to black people is a multi billion dollar business, basically the whites are telling you that in order to look presentable you need to have hair like them.

I have heard white women laughing at black women's natural hair and saying how ugly it looks. This is all a form of racism, you are being ridiculed for the hair that God gave you. Racism is evil, shun anyone who mocks and ridicules you for what God gave you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fJMsI9pmc

This is a wrong excuse on this particular topic. Smh...
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 10:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
all4naija:

This is a wrong excuse on this particular topic. Smh...

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 25, 2015
cap28:

Ptui! angry
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 11:15pm On Nov 25, 2015
all4naija:

Ptui! angry

WTF! angry angry
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 11:41pm On Nov 25, 2015
BLACK WOMEN HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED INTO BELEIVING THAT THEIR HAIR IS UGLY AND THATS WHY THEY WEAR ALL SORTS OF TERRIBLE WIGS AND WEAVE ONS SO THAT THEY CAN LOOK LIKE WHITE WOMEN. BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THE WHITE MAN STILL SEES BLACK PEOPLE AS UGLY AND INFERIOR. WE NEED TO WAKE UP AS A RACE AND TAKE PRIDE IN OUR UNIQUE PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES, BURN THOSE UGLY WIGS AND WEAVE ONS, REJECT THE SATANIC BRAINWASHING OF THE WHITE MAN, HE WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO DESTROY YOUR SELF ESTEEM, DIGNITY AND PRIDE, REJECT HIS CUNNING PSYCHOLOGICAL BRAINWASHING, WEAR YOUR NATURAL HAIR AND BE PROUD OF WHAT GOD GAVE YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ReIw9yn2s

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 12:10am On Nov 26, 2015
WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE THE TEXTURE OF YOUR HAIR, WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN TO SUCH AN EXTENT THAT YOU BLEACH TO GET LIKE THE WHITE MAN, WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE THE SHAPE OF YOUR NOSE AND THE SHAPE OF YOUR LIPS, WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE YOURSELF,FROM THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD TO THE SOLES OF YOUR FEET, WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE YOUR OWN KIND, WHO TAUGHT YOU TO HATE THE RACE THAT YOU BELONG TO - MALCOLM X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSgUTWffMQ

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by BlackLeopard(m): 12:11am On Nov 26, 2015
Smh racists.

Hoping she doesn't give up in job searching and finds someone who can appreciate her skills and self care, which she's classy with.
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by BlackLeopard(m): 12:13am On Nov 26, 2015
all4naija:
She is aberrant and silly. If she cannot follow simple rule what else qualifies her to be ready to conform to what the company stands for.

Hateful company that makes racist excuses to fire people who maintain themselves well, you mean?

I love racists advocating for other racists' stupidity, but carry on, it seems it satisfies you well.

1 Like

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 12:31am On Nov 26, 2015
BlackLeopard:
Smh racists.

Hoping she doesn't give up in job searching and finds someone who can appreciate her skills and self care, which she's classy with.

I'm so glad she stuck two fingers up to these racists, she would have been soooooooooo miserable in that job. They would have treated her worse than garbage. if they can dictate how a black woman should wear her hair then that is a taster of how black people are treated in that organisation. Nice one Lara you are better off being on the dole than working in an unhealthy environment where you could end up being clinically depressed as ar result of racist abuse and mistreatment.

So many black people in the UK are suffering from depression and all sorts of undiagnosed psychiatric problems as a result of wasting years working in very hostile racist environments, don't waste your youth and your life being around racists, they are like cancer, once they get into your head you are a goner!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by cap28: 1:06am On Nov 26, 2015
the only winners are the racist Indians and Koreans who make billions of dollars from insecure, low self esteem black women who spend billions buying "brazillian" and "indian" straight hair in order to look more white - laughing all the way to the bank at the expense of self hating black women

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nemesis99(m): 1:22am On Nov 26, 2015
Buh honestly, why do ppl tag so many things to discrimination? If an emplyer doesn't want you putting on something, its his or her job na. Try to comply with the dress code. For example, if a Muslim lady gets a job a job at quilox club and puts on hijqb to work, abeg tell me wetin go happen? So, let's check ourselves before showing our stupidity. Abi una no see how the employers dey appear before the employees? This complainer should just GERARA HERE joor
Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by yommyuk: 1:31am On Nov 26, 2015
I see it from this angle.

In the UK, employing a black woman to do a front-line job is a big enough challenge. But having one with braids? It is a no go area for most.

Hardly, will u see any high flying black female with braids in the work place in the UK. what most do is, wear the weave for the interview, get pass the probation period, then start wearing the braids. Only the bold ones do that. Most shy away from the Agrooo.

Was this lady personally discriminated against?

Hmmmm. She shouldn't have taken it personal. It is just the way things are. THE CUSTOMER IS KING!

She should have conformed, work her way up, then her hairdo will not become an issue.

Her decision is admirable, but immature.

Re: Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids by Nobody: 3:44am On Nov 26, 2015
lmao i actually laughed out loud
boboLIL:
Thank ur God u no de naija de talk that thing....u for remain for ur papa house till.............end time trumpet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / Coronavirus: TVC Slashes Staff Salaries - Politics Nigeria / Which Income Level Do You Belong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.