Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,997 members, 7,828,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. (9553 Views)

I Love My Girlfriend/boyfriend... But .. (add Yours) / I'm Not Sure I Need A Boyfriend But I Miss Being In Love / I Love My Boyfriend, But He Is Too Fat... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by AloyEmeka9: 3:23pm On Jun 03, 2009
sillyme:

who said that i'm not nigerian?

can i not be the only nigerian who actually has the guts to speak the truth about this f'd up culture?

look at the stupid advice and judgemental fools on this post. like they haven't done anything unsavoury in their lives. if anything, half of these men have tried to rape their niece and half these women have fukced another woman's man.

but no, they will still come down on you like a ton of bricks for daring to marry an nigerian man, when you are AA and *shock horror* have kids.

how many of these women have illegitimate children and they are looking down on you?

anyway, like i say, listen to these baboons at your own peril.

i've thought about leaving these idiots be on this forum so many times. but everytime i log on they prove me right.

they will never change.

they yorubas wonder why they can't prosper when everytime they cuss someone it's a curse. an actual CURSE! and to top it off, they call themselves religious!!

how can you expect your fellow country men to prosper, when everytime you have a disagreement with someone, they put a curse on you?

they will all attack me for making these points, and that is the reason why the nigerian diaspora laugh at the idea of going 'home'. why should they leave the comfort of the west for intermittent electricity, poverty all around them, extreme corruption (police, politicians), no 999 services, unclean hospitals, bad education.

A FUKCING JOKE OF A NATION

these words will hurt, but retaliating against me isn't going to solve anything

best look at YOURSELVES FIRST.

DONE.

Emmmmm, i na akpa ebe ewu na efu(you ply your trade where goats get lost). wink wink wink
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 06, 2009
stop worrying urself, if its not gonna work out find another person period.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Teresa1(f): 12:23am On Oct 14, 2010
sheesh! what is all this rubbish about! sorry to come in to the middle of this Ibukun but I must say that I am a WHITE AMERICAN and I am married to the ELDIST son in a Yoruba family, and his family LOVES me! and all 8 of his siblings and all 10 step siblings too! cheesy and all our friends want to meet my friends, I find no cultural friction. at all, his culture is Awesome!

I have heard of it often, but those were involved in international relationship scams. the Nigerian just wanted to marry the American for the visa, but didn't want to actually be married to her really. it's unfortunate that those scams exist, but as for me and Moruf,:

We have no friction between us on being allowed to marry someone from another country, God told Moruf his wife would be white at an early age, not that I seam special in any way, but Moruf is my God's Gift.

I have worked hard to learn everything I can about his culture, and he does the same for mine (what "culture" we actually have here in Americacheesy) and we are giddy in love and blissfully happy! and we know a few others also in good harmonious American/Nigerian marriages. so don't let him tell you it wont be accepted, perhaps IN HIS INDIVIDUAL FAMILY, but not as a cultural thing. not that we don't have our issues, but they are normal husband wife issues, not culturally based.

for what i have read here Ibukun I like you cheesy. you seam very intelligent.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Teresa1(f): 1:13am On Oct 14, 2010
since so much time has passed since this was posted, I'm curious as to the outcome of your marriage to your boyfriend. I hope you are an old married couple now, I see your in cali now, I'm wondering if you see the same kind of racism there as you saw in the south. It is practically non existent up here in wash state.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by davidif: 4:14pm On Mar 07, 2017
IbukunO1:
It's the most functional relationship ever, the difficulties we are facing are cultural. Yoruba culture will never accept me as his partner. If its difficult for Ibo and Yoruba to cross cultural lines for marriage, then what are my chances. Please add some light.

So what happened? Give me an update.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Ways To Fight Depression / First Blue Film Shot In Kenya / Forgetting about your Ex is the best revenge you can serve him/her!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.