Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,199 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. (9555 Views)

I Love My Girlfriend/boyfriend... But .. (add Yours) / I'm Not Sure I Need A Boyfriend But I Miss Being In Love / I Love My Boyfriend, But He Is Too Fat... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by touchmeder: 10:57pm On May 27, 2009

Did you just say you are a single mother of three?

oh dear is she? i missed that part i guess. Does he have kids as well? please was this man raised in America or Nigeria. (this will change alot of things oh)
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by follypimpi(m): 11:02pm On May 27, 2009
If the dude is raised in 9ija it will be very difficult for the Mum to approve your union with him,NO Mother will watch his 1st child who happen to be a SON to get married to a Mother of 3 and whose also Older as well regardless of how Happy y'all are.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by IbukunO1(f): 11:24pm On May 27, 2009
His I was a single mother of 3. Boys no less. I guess we were lost in translation. Nevermind. I got info I needed. Thx Again.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by adconline(m): 12:59am On May 28, 2009
there you go! Role reversal here. Would it be an easy task for an American parent to let their beautiful daughter  who's got no  kid to get married to a African, with an accent who's got three kids from previous relationship?  I smell rat here. You seem desperate to get this guy to say I do. It might work for, but you ve got an uphill battle.  I will tell you some real hard truths about Nigerian parents.  They want their kids to be married to  their partners without kids from any previous relatioships. 90% of marriages in Nigeria are without kids from previous relationship. This might be reason why your man doesnt know how to be a man and tell you what are his mom's worries. Nigerian parents are very conservative- they are less judgemental on race,religion, nationality than having kids out of wedlock. Make sure that your man is being honest about his concerns. Naija parents want their kids to start on a clean slate. They might think that your baby dad/s might still be part of your family. This is the key issue here.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by 190: 2:06am On May 28, 2009
WHY DONT U JUST ASK JACK BAUER OUT AND LEAVE THIS YOURUBA BOI ALONE!
stay here and kontinue askin stupid questions grin
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by sosisi(f): 2:18am On May 28, 2009
does the poster have kids?
I'm almost certain she does.
Which mother wants her young son entangled with an older woman and one who has kids already?
who prays for all that baggage and drama for their beloved son ?
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Treetop20(m): 2:49am On May 28, 2009
$osisi:

Which mother wants her young son entangled with an older woman and one who has kids already?
lol cheesy cheesy
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by sosisi(f): 2:57am On May 28, 2009
Treetop20:

lol cheesy cheesy

My dear see me see motorcycle
It;s not hard to figure out why the mother doesn't want this woman near her son.
She probably shops in the big and tall knowing how massive those Lousiana girls can be
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Treetop20(m): 3:01am On May 28, 2009
$osisi:

It;s not hard to figure out why the mother doesn't want this woman near her son.
She probably shops in the big and tall knowing how massive those Lousiana girls can be
oh God!
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by touchmeder: 6:58am On May 28, 2009
follypimpi:

If the dude is raised in 9IJA it will be very difficult for the Mum to approve your union with him,NO Mother will watch his 1st child who happen to be a SON to get married to a Mother of 3 and whose also Older as well regardless of how Happy y'all are.

its not even about the mother now. What Nigerian dude raised straight from Nija with no baggage himself a first son for that matter would want to end up with an older lady with kids? Well unless its for oopssssssssss papers
its not impossible but damn u'd be using torch light to find such guys. Beats me hollow
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by bluespice(f): 7:45am On May 28, 2009
$osisi:

dead!!!!! grin grin grin
haba thats harsh nau
we cant go slinging words like this about embarassed

$osisi:

true true
her having kids and being older is certainly going to be a problem

@ poster, ummm i guess its all out in the open listening to blundering fools like sillyme is at ur own peril
seriously a non nigerian that derives pleasure in talking down nigerians, nigeria as a culture and the entire nigerian culture when she has absolutely no idea who or what she's talking about is surely not the kind of sounding board u need rite now
not that the unnecessarily rude nigerians here are any good to u either im just saying u need to be wise enough to filter what u want rite now
from the ton of unnecessay info uve got here
good luck ma'am
i really wish u goodluck
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by sillyme(f): 10:07am On May 28, 2009
bluespice:

dead!!!!! grin grin grin
haba thats harsh nau
we cant go slinging words like this about embarassed
true true
her having kids and being older is certainly going to be a problem

@ poster, ummm i guess its all out in the open listening to blundering fools like sillyme is at ur own peril
seriously a non nigerian that derives pleasure in talking down nigerians, nigeria as a culture and the entire nigerian culture when she has absolutely no idea who or what she's talking about is surely not the kind of sounding board u need rite now
not that the unnecessarily rude nigerians here are any good to u either im just saying u need to be wise enough to filter what u want rite now
from the ton of unnecessay info uve got here
good luck ma'am
i really wish u goodluck

who said that i'm not nigerian?

can i not be the only nigerian who actually has the guts to speak the truth about this f'd up culture?

look at the stupid advice and judgemental fools on this post. like they haven't done anything unsavoury in their lives. if anything, half of these men have tried to rape their niece and half these women have fukced another woman's man.

but no, they will still come down on you like a ton of bricks for daring to marry an nigerian man, when you are AA and *shock horror* have kids.

how many of these women have illegitimate children and they are looking down on you?

anyway, like i say, listen to these baboons at your own peril.

i've thought about leaving these idiots be on this forum so many times. but everytime i log on they prove me right.

they will never change.

they yorubas wonder why they can't prosper when everytime they cuss someone it's a curse. an actual CURSE! and to top it off, they call themselves religious!!

how can you expect your fellow country men to prosper, when everytime you have a disagreement with someone, they put a curse on you?

they will all attack me for making these points, and that is the reason why the nigerian diaspora laugh at the idea of going 'home'. why should they leave the comfort of the west for intermittent electricity, poverty all around them, extreme corruption (police, politicians), no 999 services, unclean hospitals, bad education.

A FUKCING JOKE OF A NATION

these words will hurt, but retaliating against me isn't going to solve anything

best look at YOURSELVES FIRST.

DONE.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by mrsb(f): 1:04pm On May 28, 2009
@ Poster - I wanted to come on here and tell you to go for it, follow your heart and get ready for some tricky times before, hopefully, a happy ending.

BUT

You've only been together 10 months? I think maybe you need to take your time a little? Maybe he's panicking as you're coming on too strong and need to take the relationship a bit slower.

I got my Yoruba guy in the end but I had his Mum on my side from the beginnng and trust me, she made all the difference in persuading the Dad. I also know that it was easier for my in-laws to accept a white woman than an AA or West Indian. Oh yeah and did I mention it took SEVEN YEARS!!! LOL. grin
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by bluespice(f): 1:08pm On May 28, 2009
sillyme:

who said that i'm not nigerian?

can i not be the only nigerian who actually has the guts to speak the truth about this f'd up culture?

look at the stupid advice and judgemental fools on this post. like they haven't done anything unsavoury in their lives. if anything, half of these men have tried to rape their niece and half these women have fukced another woman's man.

but no, they will still come down on you like a ton of bricks for daring to marry an nigerian man, when you are AA and *shock horror* have kids.

how many of these women have illegitimate children and they are looking down on you?

anyway, like i say, listen to these baboons at your own peril.

i've thought about leaving these idiots be on this forum so many times. but everytime i log on they prove me right.

they will never change.

they yorubas wonder why they can't prosper when everytime they cuss someone it's a curse. an actual CURSE! and to top it off, they call themselves religious!!

how can you expect your fellow country men to prosper, when everytime you have a disagreement with someone, they put a curse on you?

they will all attack me for making these points, and that is the reason why the nigerian diaspora laugh at the idea of going 'home'. why should they leave the comfort of the west for intermittent electricity, poverty all around them, extreme corruption (police, politicians), no 999 services, unclean hospitals, bad education.

A FUKCING JOKE OF A NATION

these words will hurt, but retaliating against me isn't going to solve anything

best look at YOURSELVES FIRST.

DONE.
if u took half of the time u took to plot ur 'wonderful' comebakc to actually read what i wrote ull understand a bit of what i said
no one is innocent in this
the fools talking down at her
or u insulting her 'fiance's' folks
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by sillyme(f): 1:51pm On May 28, 2009
'comeback'

LOL. see what i mean about them? they just haven't got a clue.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by tpiah: 2:21pm On May 28, 2009
If his mum is Igbo then why is Yoruba culture the only barrier being mentioned?

so far you havent said what his dad thinks of your relationship, or if your boyfriend has any extensive contact with his dad.

His uncle refusing to let his daughter marry an Igbo man is a totally different situation since the person involved is female, not male. These little distinctions matter in Nigerian culture.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by bluespice(f): 2:21pm On May 28, 2009
goodness me!

i sure feel like einstein rite now
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Ezeja(f): 2:35pm On May 28, 2009
Lamidi is there any tribe in Naija dat we don't hav evil doers? Ibukun u ar missin dthird person in ur relationship !God Almighty! Come on girl, down here i'v seen, witnes & attended sevra inter-tribal marraiges not only btw igbo's & yoruba's but also 4rm other tribes. Come 2think of it, his parent ar 4rm both tribe & it waz ok 4them 2get married why not him? If u sincerely love this guy & he also love u as u claim, My dear d2 of u shud work thingsout by surendrn 2God &invitin Him 2take charge & i bet u all mountain will b laid low & dsky will b your limit cos " you never can tell where d problem is comin 4rm" Gudluck.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by adconline(m): 2:45pm On May 28, 2009
the point here is that the poster doesn't see anything in her age and having three kids out of wedlock as one of the issues. Its Yoruba "culture"  in her mind that is the problem. There is no correlation between some of his siblings not being allowed to marry Igbos or vice-versa cos she is neither Igbo nor Nigerian. Her greatest challenges are how to convince  her man's family that a woman who's  got three kids and some what older is good for him and his family. It seems she doesn't have a clue on how marriages work in Nigeria. She thinks that  a mama boy for that matter would marry her without her mother's consent. This is "impossicant" unless she means secret marriage without the knowledge of the parents. Ask the guy how many of his siblings got married to someone who had kids from previous relationships. Maybe , nada, nil. zilch. If we are taking about a kid, it might be understandable to his parents, but three will be a big snag.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by bluespice(f): 2:48pm On May 28, 2009
adconline:

the point here is that the poster doesn't see anything in her age and having three kids out of wedlock as one of the issues. Its Yoruba "culture" in her mind that is the problem. There is no correlation between some of his siblings not being allowed to marry Igbos or vice-versa cos she is neither Igbo nor Nigerian. Her greatest challenges are how to convince her man's family that a woman who's got three kids and some what older is good for him and his family. It seems she doesn't have a clue on how marriages work in Nigeria. She thinks that a mama boy for that matter would marry her without her mother's consent. This is "impossicant" unless she means secret marriage without the knowledge of the parents. Ask the guy how many of his siblings got married to someone who had kids from previous relationships. Maybe , nada, nil. zilch. If we are taking about a kid, it might be understandable to his parents, but three will be a big snag.
God bless u my brother!
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by tpiah: 3:33pm On May 28, 2009
sometimes it also depends on the man's character.

If he's the type that has given his parents mother multiple headaches for years due to an unsettled lifestyle, then after a while the relatives wont be too picky about who he marries- they'll even thank the prospective fiancee for helping him settle down.

However, if he's the mother's darling and always been of good behavior then she'll scrutinize his girlfriends with a microscope.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by IbukunO1(f): 8:22pm On May 28, 2009
This has been a waste of my time. I inquire and got nothing but negativity and judgments. At least get it right. His mom left his father with 3 sons. She raised them to be outstanding men. I'm proud of her accomplishements. I never stated I had 3 sons out of wedlock. Totally your assumption. I did not bother to read the remaining message as I do not have the energy. Its retarded. As I read I realized I did not need your approval, forgive me for trying to educate myself on a culture lost. For now on I'll stick to books as people are ignorant in their thinking an minds do not grow. Stagnant. I triumph. Thx Africa.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by adconline(m): 9:21pm On May 28, 2009
This has been a waste of my time. I inquire and got nothing but negativity and judgments. At least get it right. His mom left his father with 3 sons. She raised them to be outstanding men. I'm proud of her accomplishements. I never stated I had 3 sons out of wedlock. Totally your assumption. I did not bother to read the remaining message as I do not have the energy. Its retarded. As I read I realized I did not need your approval, forgive me for trying to educate myself on a culture lost. For now on I'll stick to books as people are ignorant in their thinking an minds do not grow. Stagnant. I triumph. Thx Africa.

The point is that your mind is pretty much made, so needless for you to ask for opinions. We are " Africa" not like minded folks.  I cannot shower you with false or flattery opinions knowing very well that they are misleading. I was trying to tell you what might be the real obstacles as to why his mum is not open to the idea of her son marrying an older woman with three kids. The case is that his mom left his dad   AND DID NOT MARRY A YOUNGER MAN WITHOUT KIDS. If you can confront him on this issue. You are on the way  to Vegas for wedding. I was trying to tell you that all ethnic biases he told you of might be a cover up for your baggage. I believe that we are telling you what he may not tell  from Naija experiences  you ve got some issues that his mom would not let him to marry you. Folks who  do not share your  way of thinking have all of a  sudden become ignorant and stagnant. Maybe Usher's mom was stagnant and ignorant by being against Usher's move to marry a woman with some kids from previous relationships. Maybe most single American women with no kids who would not date any man with kids are ignorant and clueless as well. Maybe we are ignorant and retarded but  ask single moms and dads how easy it is to get a date with partners without kids in the US of A let alone Africa? if his mom is in Nigeria, she will be saying come home and marry someone who is younger without any kid. I think this  is where  "retarded" African culture misses  superduper American culture.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by IbukunO1(f): 11:17pm On May 28, 2009
Ignorance I stated not from a difference of opinion but of assumptions. Again, your reply is laced with more assumptions. I did not state any kids on my part. I said nothing of marriage. You again assumed. We've only been together 10 months.I stated that I respected the honesty positive or negative. The assumptions and add ins were you guys doing. You made this Topic yours an about you. Your personal feelings. One thing for sure as americans we pick whom we love, becuz we have to live w that person. So outside interference is minimal.My comment on stagnant is no matter the times and how people change and grow to adjust in the times-the foreign education. The mindset stays the same. Life is GROWTH. I'm only hearing a culture that refuses to advance thinking. Prejudices against those that look like you, Speechless,
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by C2H5OH(f): 11:23pm On May 28, 2009
Ibukun O:

I'm only hearing a culture that refuses to advance thinking. Prejudices against those that look like you, Speechless,
This is fucking hogwash and total rawbish
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by C2H5OH(f): 11:26pm On May 28, 2009
Immediate family having a profound effect on a man's decision to choose who he marries does not make African culture backwards in thinking.

What is forward thinking to you? Anything that is American or European? The problem is that you have a difficult time understanding that people have different ways of doing things. Simple!

You are trying to marry an African man ffs, not some Akata boy at a cathedral in Las Vegas. I'm sure he could care less and would marry you after 5 rounds of beer, then wake up the next morning to divorce you.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by Nobody: 11:29pm On May 28, 2009
oops a single mother of 3? why didnt you mention that right off the bat? No wonder his family is against it . . . the problem isnt the culture at all. grin
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by C2H5OH(f): 11:31pm On May 28, 2009
Moreover, I believe you were asked severally to confirm whether or not you have/had kids.  You posted something that led to the assumption that you are a single mother of three.

Apologies for that.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by follypimpi(m): 11:36pm On May 28, 2009
C2H5OH:

Moreover, I believe you were asked severally to confirm whether or not you have/had kids. You posted something that led to the assumption that you are a single mother of three.

Apologies for that.

Well Said.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by adconline(m): 4:43am On Jun 03, 2009
I'm only hearing a culture that refuses to advance thinking. Prejudices against those that look like you, Speechless,   Another insular American talking to the rest of the other world . I  thought Sarah Palin had few siblings who derived joy in mediocrity. This sounds  like another Sarah calling Africa a country. You really need  a lot of  Geography 101 assignment make overs to do.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by C2H5OH(f): 4:47am On Jun 03, 2009
adconline:

I'm only hearing a culture that refuses to advance thinking. Prejudices against those that look like you, Speechless, Another insular American talking to the rest of the other world . I thought Sarah Palin had few siblings who derived joy in mediocrity. This sounds like another Sarah calling Africa a country. You really need a lot of Geography 101 assignment make overs to do.
Hehehe. That's the part that ticks me off about the posts she's made thus far.
Re: I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. by adconline(m): 3:00pm On Jun 03, 2009
maybe she  should  preach that to some inner city gang bangers in Chicago who killed 8 people over the weekend and killed 4  more people on Moday morning plus a police officer or maybe to  New Orleans gang bangers who have made her city Murder capital USA. because of violence in her city, the city is running out of money to prosecute some criminals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Omg See The Biggest Dick On Earth Graphic Photo / If Ur Girl Is Too Demanding, What Do U Do? / What To Say Next After Greeting A Lady U Just Met While Chatting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.