Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? (13763 Views)

Poll: Which is worst?

Omitting Information: 10% (8 votes)
Lying: 36% (29 votes)
Both: 53% (42 votes)
This poll has ended

Working Class Or An Undergraduate Relationship. Which Do U Prefer? / In A Relationship, Which Is More Important.. Love Or Trust?.. / Open/secret Relationship Which Do You Prefer ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by nalijah07(f): 6:01pm On May 27, 2009
Is it just as bad to omit information in a serious relationship  as it is to lie? My friend is involved with someone and did not tell him that she has been married twice. I don't know how she does it, but she always places the focus on his past history and avoids hers altogether.

This man has never been married and tells everyone they know that she is his future wife. She does love him and would be willing to marry him but she is not even legally divorced from the second husband.

I think this is the same as lying - What do you think?
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by sistawoman: 6:11pm On May 27, 2009
Lying by omission is what I call it.

As time goes on it will get harder and harder to tell the truth.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 27, 2009
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by MaiSuya(m): 7:03pm On May 27, 2009
nalijah07:

Is it just as bad to omit information in a serious relationship  as it is to lie?

No, I do not think it is. It depends on the kind of info and the reasons behind it being withheld.

However, [i]this [/i]particular bit of info:

My friend is involved with someone and did not tell him that she has been married twice.

Is clearly crossing the line, and yes, it is lying - a dangerous at that.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by nalijah07(f): 10:11pm On May 27, 2009
Interesting - because she sure did say that the reason she is not telling is because he never asked.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by oreofemi(f): 10:17pm On May 27, 2009
It is the same thing as lieing, beecause ur friend dont really want to say the truth, i do understand but she has to voice it out
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by yme1(f): 10:20pm On May 27, 2009
married twice
i dont think it is advicable to hide such secret from one spouse
she had better say the truth now before it is too damn late undecided
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by C2H5OH(f): 10:21pm On May 27, 2009
Both can be really deadly. Deception can be a cruel tool. cry You fall in love with a babe only to find out she's not who she says she is.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by 190: 4:24am On May 28, 2009
any1 no gud! angry angry
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by Oxone(m): 4:58am On May 28, 2009
@op
if you open up at first, then you'll have nothing to fear tomorrow
wonder when people will realize that your lies always catch up you in the end & that then, the price is steep
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by nalijah07(f): 5:14pm On May 28, 2009
Why isn't anyone faulting the guy for not asking her about her past relationships??
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by StrStruck(f): 5:33pm On May 28, 2009
In her case, what she hid from him was really important. She should have told him about it.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by spikedcylinder: 6:04pm On May 28, 2009
Both stink.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by iice(f): 11:36am On May 29, 2009
For something important, omitting it is the same as lying as afar as i am concerned. Exactly what sistawoman called it - lying by omission

People are devious grin grin You cannot imagine the kind of things they do and will continue to do grin grin
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by mukina2: 11:39am On May 29, 2009
iice:

For something important, omitting it is the same as lying as afar as i am concerned. Exactly what sistawoman called it - lying by omission

People are devious grin grin You cannot imagine the kind of things they do and will continue to do grin grin

Spot on grin grin
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by agalu: 1:07pm On May 29, 2009
haa the woman should have let him know about her past relationship instead of side tract them
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by luxoire(f): 1:25pm On May 29, 2009
i don't think it is the same thing - but the effects they have on a relationship are the same

you just basically have to be clever in how you sieve info you give in a r/ship how important and relevant is it to your partner and would you want to know in their shoes?
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by annyplenty(m): 1:44pm On May 29, 2009
this is called concealing information and not lie.

lie is always aimed at deceiving while concealing information is always aimed at subverting judgement. both may be used to achieve the same purpose though the latter is excusable more so if the first party never asked about the subject for which information was concealed.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by gr8me(f): 2:06pm On May 29, 2009
This isn't omitting, neither is it lying, she is actually endangering her future, have u ever wondered y there is something called divorce? this is one of the reasons, if eventually they get married, and this man gets to find out dt she actually kept something like this from him, he might still love her but will never trust her again, and this will be the beginning of the down fall of her marriage with him, so I'll like to advise dt she talk to him about it now dt they are not yet married, and if he breaks up with her, then he never loved her in d first place, but if he remains with her, then she has made hay while d sun shine.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by init4dmoni(m): 3:29pm On May 29, 2009
lying ofcourse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omitting gives a lighter blow wen it finally gets revealled so it's easier to forgive the person(though some peole take it as lying tongue)
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by Kelvinj(m): 3:43pm On May 29, 2009
There is nothing lyk omitting info in d first place. Wen 2 people are tryn 2 get in2 a r/ship dnt tell me they dnt get 2 ask each oda about their past so therefore any info u conceal is lying and wat d oda party finds out wat he or she will ask is why did u lie 2 me not why did u omit d info, so u can see nd do u no wat d ans alwayz look like 'i didnt want 2 lose u dats y i lied'. Or am i wrong?
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by dominictj(m): 3:55pm On May 29, 2009
seconded.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by bblacky(f): 4:21pm On May 29, 2009
Non is advisable
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by Secretz(f): 4:37pm On May 29, 2009
Oh pls, they are just as bad as eachother.

However, I can understand situations where you want people to 'know you for YOU' as to why some people conceal information, but there should come a point where you need to release 'important' information and I don't mean when you are married with 3 kids later or the night before your wedding. . . grin
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by sosisi(f): 4:44pm On May 29, 2009
nalijah07:

Is it just as bad to omit information in a serious relationship  as it is to lie? My friend is involved with someone and did not tell him that she has been married twice. I don't know how she does it, but she always places the focus on his past history and avoids hers altogether.

This man has never been married and tells everyone they know that she is his future wife. She does love him and would be willing to marry him but she is not even legally divorced from the second husband.

I think this is the same as lying - What do you think?

It's a small world.He'll eventually find out and dump her like a used tampon.
Go and mark that somewhere.
A twice divorced woman,what is she looking for in the institution of marriage again
hasn't she done enough "try your luck"
she now wants to ruin an innocent man's life by deceiving him into marriage.
what a shameless,heartless and coldblooded woman.
She is no marriage material and has no business being married to anyone except a 4 times divorced male.
Too highrisk even for a handshake.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by lysaa(f): 4:55pm On May 29, 2009
omitting info and lying are not the same but i guess they are both done for same reasons most times.

maybe Fear- of losing someone/ something so dear to ur heart but hiding stuff like ur past really could be equated with lying cos all u do is presenting who u are not or part of who u are and making an impression on whoever is concerned without saying it in words that u were never the other person u're hiding or prolly u hide info bidding time as u never can tell who is really right for u in a short while.

In my opinion, i think its better to tell anyone u truely love vital info about urself, if it leads to a broken relationship then let it be, it only indicates that that person is not right for u.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by lysaa(f): 4:56pm On May 29, 2009
how long is the relationship pls?
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by skillero(m): 6:53pm On May 29, 2009
Why is it majorly ladies that are answering this? Na wa o!
Anyway omitting may be done in love so as not to hurt the feelings of a loved one!
it's as simple as that.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by Romeo4real(m): 7:07pm On May 29, 2009
It is not lying (to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly) - as she has not uttered any untruths regarding the matter, and also the man is pussy whipped and too foolish to ask for clarification of her past.

However, it is Fraud, and Deception,of the highest order (to mislead by a false appearance, actions or statement, thereby gaining an advantage).

I have always said it; In a relationship, the onus is upon you to seek and clarify the truth, rather than depend/ wait on it being offered or told.

The man needs to respect himself, and stop shouting about a woman he does not know, as he will surely be getting some nasty surprises in the future.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by seancole: 7:52pm On May 29, 2009
Both are deadly, you have to be transparent a relationship.
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by UyiIredia(m): 8:01pm On May 29, 2009
@@ nalijah07

think d same way >>>>
omit info ko !!!!!!! lie ni !!!!!!! both talk same language LIESSSSSS !!!!!!!
Re: Omitting Information Vs Lying In A Relationship - Which Is Worse? by mccloud224(m): 8:46pm On May 29, 2009
?

Some kain reasoning dey trip me sometimes, He is in the relationship believing she is single and the thought of her ever being married doesn't cross his mind, so which kain reasoning be dis one?Women sef.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Usage Of Juju By Ladies To Control A Man/win His Love... / Why Do Nigerian Women Prefer To Date Mostly Nigerian Or Black Men / Share Your NYSC Romance Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.