Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out (15429 Views)

Imagine If This Happened At The Lagos Bar Beach, / Will Eko Atlantic City Be The Most Beautiful City In Africa After Completion? / First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by wirinet(m): 3:26pm On May 30, 2009
This was what i said on the 26th march regarding The Eko Atlantic City Project.

On face value and in the short run, this is a wonderful projects, it can turn Lagos into a mini Dubai. It will benefit the whole of Lagos state if not the whole of Nigeria, But there is a Caveat.

I lived over 25 yr in Victoria Island and i am a witness of how erosion brought the shoreline of the Bar Beach from over a kilometer away to Ahmadu Bello Way. Same for Lekki Beach and I hear Eleko Beach has also been Eroding. This is due to two main factors, the Beaches of Lagos are facing the full force of the atlantic ocean and so the waves are pulling the sands of the shoreline into the ocean. Also the polar ice caps are melting as a result of Global warming and the sea level is rising and is expected to rise further in the coming decades. So we can expect quicker erosion taking place.

I know how may billions had been sunk to periodically reclaim Bar Beach and they say that they have found a permanent solution ( i keep my fingers crossed).

I just think it is risky to site such a huge project so close to the beach line, it will require billions in the future to maintain just like Ahmadu Bello rd. They should have moved tho project a bit inland, maybe Ikorodu or Epe which is a high land.

And today this is the report on Thisday newspaper.

Lagos Bar Beach Overflows

Nature rode rough shod over the Lagos Bar Beach yesterday, when the elements defied the multi-billion naira shoreline protection barriers constructed last year by the Lagos State government, in the process, flooding almost the entire stretch of Ahmadu Bello Way, in Victoria Island.
The flooding resulting from the surging Atlantic Ocean, followed a slight rainfall at about midday on the Lagos Island.
Hundreds of motorists who use Ahmadu Bello Way, had to battle through the flood and resultant traffic jam to get to their various destinations.
The traffic crisis was compounded by the huge quantity of sharp sand deposited on the road after the flood waters receded into the ocean.
The sand left behind practically covered all the rock boulders constructed to protect the shoreline, including the walkway on Ahmadu Bello Way and the road itself.
“This caught us unawares. We thought it would never happen again after the government completed the shoreline protection work. We are really disappointed,” remarked a taxi driver caught in the traffic jam.
As at press time, officials of the Lagos State Ministry of Water Front Development were not available for comments.
But the director general of the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, Dr Anthony Anuforo said yesterday’s flooding might have been due to global warming.
“Ice has been melting in the seas and causing a general rise in sea level. Nigeria’s coastline is predominantly low level and because of rising sea levels, more and more areas are getting flooded and submerged.
“Another factor is the waves that are getting more violent due to the Green House Gas effect,” Anuforo said.
On how it can be curbed, he said reducing Green House Gas emissions is an important factor, adding that planting trees should be encouraged, “since they absorb carbon dioxide thus reducing the volume of green house gases emitted into the atmosphere.”

So Lagos State Government should heed the warning signs, or make sure they make provision for billions of dollars to control flooding in the future.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by ajilore1: 9:13pm On May 30, 2009
I am confused by this occurrence.
What has gone wrong? Is the Competence of Hitech questionable or is there a foul play somewhere?

This is because a project of less than 2 years old has given way to the very force it was designed to prevent, Hitech must be called to book over this!
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by moneygurl: 9:21pm On May 30, 2009
ajilore, :

I am confused by this occurrence.
What has gone wrong? Is the Competence of Hitech questionable or is there a foul play somewhere?

This is because a project of less than 2 years old has given way to the very force it was designed to prevent, Hitech must be called to book over this!

Read what the expert says, it is what it is. Global warming.

No matter the amount the state and federal govt has spent or will spend. There will be flooding. The question is will it be there for a long time or will it go back into the water. And form the article I read in other newspapers the water went down around 9.00am yesterday morning.

Lagos is below see level, when rain falls and the water is above the level it will lead to flooding. New orleans is below see level it floods during heavy rain (i am not talking about Katrina style flooding.)
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by wirinet(m): 11:05pm On May 30, 2009
Moneygirl,
Of course we never said anything about parmanent flooding. The flooding takes place periodically at least twice a year. But each flooding always leaves some degree of damage, no matter how small. And after a few decades the cummulative effects of the flooding have large impact on structures and beaches on the coast line. Now Victoria Island (bar beach) can be excused, being strategically located and this Knowledge was unavailable then. But why take the risk by building on the ocean(reclaimed land), when billions of dollars had been sunk in Bar Beach ( and we are not sure of the long term ability to whitstand the ocean, tidal and rising sea forces.

Not all of Lagos is below sea level, Epe is above sea level, so is Ikorodu.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:17am On May 31, 2009
lets hope another tsunami does not happen here in lagos. sad
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by EDGreat: 12:52pm On Aug 27, 2009
wirinet, i am quite impressed by your short explanation. I suspect you must be relatively enlightened on the subject matter.

We are currently conducting a research of the situation and i believe you may help us with some relevant data.

Since you have lived on the Victoria Island for over 25years, you may be kind enough to help us with the dates of past flooding amongst other things.

Please, you can kindly send me a mail on joshuaeniola@yahoo.com

I would be glad to hear from you soon.

Regards.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by babapupa: 3:29pm On Aug 27, 2009
All these alarmists sha,

it's the other way around, eko atlantic is the permanent solution to Bar Beach overflows. they are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcR5PQuqD_w&feature=related
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Afaukwu: 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2009
Eko to baje pelu flood grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by sjeezy8: 5:09pm On Aug 27, 2009
Afaukwu:

Eko to baje pelu flood grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

lol das funny how you speak some yoruba but yorubas dont give a Bleep about speaking other African languages. grin

your culture is dying
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Aug 27, 2009
babapupa:

All these alarmists sha,

it's the other way around, eko atlantic is the permanent solution to Bar Beach overflows. they are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcR5PQuqD_w&feature=related

Eko Atlantic CANNOT solve the barbeach overflows. Lagos is NOT DUBAI -- wave wise, at least. Eko Atlantic is banking on the problem simply being a problem of eroding waters but does it take into account the projected rise in SEA LEVELS expected in the next couple of years, if not months, as a result of global warming? The project is potentially dangerous. Even holland has yet to significantly curb it's own problems, I mean with all the technology employed.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by redsun(m): 5:31pm On Aug 27, 2009
But why are they wasting all that money filling up the all comsuming sea,when there are loads of slums and places to update in lagos?Irrational thinking.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by babapupa: 5:57pm On Aug 27, 2009
Eko Atlantic CANNOT solve the barbeach overflows. Lagos is NOT DUBAI -- wave wise, at least. Eko Atlantic is banking on the problem simply being a problem of eroding waters but does it take into account the projected rise in SEA LEVELS expected in the next couple of years, if not months, as a result of global warming? The project is potentially dangerous. Even holland has yet to significantly curb it's own problems, I mean with all the technology employed.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think the investors no sabi the your concerns and they must have correct risk assessment info before laying down billions of dollars.

We can't sit on our hands and do nothing/develop and advance because of risks and problem problems. California is earth quake central and earth quake didn't prevent them from developing California and making it the 7th largest economy in the world.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by babapupa: 6:09pm On Aug 27, 2009
But why are they wasting all that money filling up the all comsuming sea,when there are loads of slums and places to update in lagos?Irrational thinking.

I'm sure the same loads of slum dwellers are gonna benefit from the project and even lifted of poverty via hundreds of thousands of jobs and other down stream opportunities and activities. This is a win win situation for Lagos state.

The state can not be bugged down taking care of 10,000/day streaming into Lagos.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by redsun(m): 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2009
It is not a realistic project in relative to the pressing needs and conditions of average lagosian and lagos.It just another ill thought out project for the thieving rich to splash their blood money on.

A case of one trying to run before he walks.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by naijatoday: 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2009
redsun:

It is not a realistic project in relative to the pressing needs and conditions of average lagosian and lagos.It just another ill thought out project for the thieving rich to splash their blood money on.

A case of one trying to run before he walks.

It is [b]privately [/b]funded.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by redsun(m): 6:40pm On Aug 27, 2009
naijatoday:

It is [b]privately [/b]funded.

Privately funded with the blood money they stole from nigeria too,it all about money laundering.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2009
babapupa:

I see where you're coming from but I don't think the investors no sabi the your concerns and they must have correct risk assessment info before laying down billions of dollars.

We can't sit on our hands and do nothing/develop and advance because of risks and problem problems. California is earth quake central and earth quake didn't prevent them from developing California and making it the 7th largest economy in the world.

Please read these on how other countries are right now planning to combat potential flooding from rising sea levels and then go back and examine the Eko Atlantic plans and tell me that you thoroughly believe the investors have already planned for this

http://www1.american.edu/ted/ice/dutch-sea.htm

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1115/p13s02-wogi.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1115/p13s02-wogi.html
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/benelux/090703/the-dutch-plan-rising-seas

No one is calling for us to sit on our hands and do nothing. That is far from what this is about. Has the Eko Atlantic module been tried and tested to prove it will with stain both the rising sea levels, as well the pre-existing problems?

I only hope no portion of the money is from the state at this point, as the state ought to focus on using money it has now to, not only fix up infrastructure but shore up other areas that are not also prone to flooding should worse come to worse.

Again, comparing California to Lagos ain't gonna work in this case. For one, lagos does not have as much as california does and has invested in it's state.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Afaukwu: 6:48pm On Aug 27, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol das funny how you speak some yoruba but yorubas dont give a Bleep about speaking other African languages. grin

your culture is dying

Keep dreaming. My Yoruba bed mate (not girlfriend) just whispered that to me now after a good round of (guess what). I do not care about your language either
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 27, 2009
Afaukwu:

Keep dreaming. My Yoruba bed mate (not girlfriend) just whispered that to me now after a good round of (guess what). I do not care about your language either

lol

Yoruba bedmate ko, Hausa concubine ni.

thought Yorubas are too dirty for your liking?

Greet your imaginary bedmate oh!

who dash you Yoruba.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Afaukwu: 6:51pm On Aug 27, 2009
lol

Yoruba bedmate ko, Hausa concubine ni.

thought Yorubas are too dirty for your liking? Huh

Greet your imaginary bedmate oh!

who dash you Yoruba.

Eyes and nose closed while at it. For lack of a[b] Igbo [/b]girl around grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by babapupa: 7:08pm On Aug 27, 2009
That is far from what this is about. Has the Eko Atlantic module been tried and tested to prove it will with stain both the rising sea levels, as well the pre-existing problems?

Check out the youtube video I posted @ 2:15 and not a dime of the state's money is involved, it's 100% privately funded.

Again, this is a win win situation for lagos state. The project is gonna create good construction related jobs, it's gonna create solid high, middle and lower class jobs upon completion, lagos is gonna get first class state of the art high tech city and entertainment/tourist destination.

You can not develop and progress with a can't do attitude and lagos is not the only natural disaster prone city in the world, you find and create solutions around your problems and move on.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 27, 2009
Afaukwu:

Eyes and nose closed while at it. For lack of a[b] Igbo [/b]girl around grin grin grin grin grin grin

keep lying there!

where did you look and didnt find a Igbo girl?

you think you're talking to a foreigner?

as you closed all your orifices I'm sure your dreamland bedmate did the same. wink
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Aug 27, 2009
babapupa:

You can not develop and progress with a can't do attitude and lagos is not the only natural disaster prone city in the world, you find and create solutions around your problems and move on.

I repeat,

Kobojunkie:

No one is calling for us to sit on our hands and do nothing. That is far from what this is about. Has the Eko Atlantic module been tried and tested to prove it will with stain both the rising sea levels, as well the pre-existing problems?

Then, in response to the latter part of your post, Lagos is definitely not the most disaster prone but when you are planning for FUTURE disaster which you have NEVER REALLY EXPERIENCED and have NO CLUE OF HOW HORRIFIC it can GET, it is a good idea to spend more time on the DRAWING BOARD to make sure you have as much as you can think of, covered.  There are countries and islands already projected to go underwater in next to no time at all.

The part of this that gladdens my heart is that no public money is invested. However, about this being a WIN WIN, that I will leave to the future to judge.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Afaukwu: 7:17pm On Aug 27, 2009
keep lying there!

where did you look and didnt find a Igbo girl? Huh

you think you're talking to a foreigner?

as you closed all your orifices I'm sure your dreamland bedmate did the same. Wink
Where I live only Yoruba damsels abound. Have to drive some 50 miles to get me a[b] Igbo[/b] queen. So make do with Yoruba babes, with ma eyes and nose, and even ears closed, while doing it. No choice, buddy. She couldn't take her eyes of ma tool, while whimpering like a caged rat.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 27, 2009
Afaukwu:

Where I live only Yoruba damsels abound. Have to drive some 50 miles to get me a[b] Igbo[/b] queen. So make do with Yoruba with eyes and nose, and even ears closed, while doing it. No choice, buddy.

you must not be interested in looking properly. Any reason for your curious lack of energy in finding a Igbo queen?

nothing to do with your finances, I hope. cheesy  Ya "bedmate" aka imagination, dey manage garri with you or wetin?
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by babapupa: 7:34pm On Aug 27, 2009
when you are planning for FUTURE disaster which you have NEVER REALLY EXPERIENCED and have NO CLUE OF HOW HORRIFIC it can GET, it is a good idea to spend more time on the DRAWING BOARD

Are you for real? you think people are just gonna trow money at a project like eko atlantic without doing their home work?

You keep coming up with the same answered question, you must have ignored the youtube video I posted even after asking you to checking,

well, here is another one,

Eko Atlantic City - The Engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B3dmYlDGDk

And the ultimate answer to your question is in the video @ 5:12

according to the engineer in the video @ 5:12, the test not only survived the tidal waves that occurs once every hundred years, it survived the one that occurs every thousand years,

Lets stop the nitpicking, this is not your average naija crapy crapy project, the developers are going the extra mile and leaving no stone unturned,
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2009
babapupa:

Are you for real? you think people are just gonna trow money at a project like eko atlantic without doing their home work?

You keep coming up with the same answered question, you must have ignored the youtube video I posted even after asking you to checking,

well, here is another one,

Eko Atlantic City - The Engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B3dmYlDGDk

And the ultimate answer to your question is in the video @ 5:12
according to the engineer in the video @ 5:12, the test not only survived the tidal waves that occurs once every hundred years, it survived the one that occurs every thousand years,

Lets stop the nitpicking, this is not your average naija crapy crapy project, the developers are going the extra mile and leaving no stone unturned,

You fail to note that there is no ULTIMATE answer to my question at this point. I am sorry, this is not a debate on whether It will Work or will not work. This is just me stating my concerns for which you are not informed enough to actually answer. I am not sure if you get that at all. Unless you are part of the planning committee for this project, there is really no way you can speak for it being as good as you claim above. The videos you have posted have been available on Utube for over a year, if not months now. They do not prove anything about the project but simply gives an idea of what is to be expected. Not until the final phase is in place and the project is tested in the real world can anyone know for a fact if it is going to with stand the elements and disasters that are projected.

You can call what I am doing "Nitpicking" and that is understandable since we do not share the same brain. However, there is cause for concern given that in the same state 99.9% of projects embarked on in the past have yet to yield much positive results. Some have eventually come back to bite us in the behind. So, do not worry about providing me answers, something not even Fashola can, as all he can do is show data to support a theory that this will work in the future.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by babapupa: 7:44pm On Aug 27, 2009
You fail to note that there is no ULTIMATE answer to my question at this point. I am sorry, this is not a debate on whether It will Work or will not work. This is just me stating my concerns for which you are not informed enough to actually answer. I am not sure if you get that at all. Unless you are part of the planning committee for this project, there is really no way you can speak for it being as good as you claim above. The videos you have posted have been available on Utube for over a year, if not months now. They do not prove anything about the project but simply gives an idea of what is to be expected. Not until the final phase is in place and the project is tested in the real world can anyone know for a fact if it is going to with stand the elements and disasters that are projected.

You can call what I am doing "Nitpicking" and that is understandable since we do not share the same brain. However, there is cause for concern given that in the same state 99.9% of projects embarked on in the past have yet to yield much positive results. Some have eventually come back to bite us in the behind. So, do not worry about providing me answers, something not even Fashola can, as all he can do is show data to support a theory that this will work in the future.

Abeg stop jumping all over the place, you asked for module and I posted it, now it doesn't prove anything.what do you want it to prove really?

what do you want and what's your point? what are they doing wrong? what bases have they not covered?

Yes, you are nit picking,
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Afaukwu: 7:54pm On Aug 27, 2009
tpia.:

you must not be interested in looking properly. Any reason for your curious lack of energy in finding a Igbo queen?

nothing to do with your finances, I hope. cheesy  Ya "bedmate" aka imagination, dey manage garri with you or wetin?

Finance ke (she also taught me ''ke'') How can any one earning a 6-figure salary in USD talk of financial problem? But you are right, they are so cheap they give even for free.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 27, 2009
Hitech should return our money now now.
I don't want excuses oh.
Global warming ko Climatic cooling ni?
Did global warming start yesterday? They didn't know about greenhouse effect before abi.
The money spent and the bullshit shoreline protection they built was supposed to prevent water from flowing onto our beloved Ahmadu bello way.
From a citizens point of view, i don't give a Bleep what the explanation is. It was built to prevent this shit and its not even 2yrs and the whole road is flooded.
Abeg, they should go back to Julius Berger and stop giving this "Snails" work to do.
See as them dey take eternity expand simple road for lekki expressway. Something wey berger go don finish shap shap.
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 27, 2009
Afaukwu:

Finance ke (she also taught me ''ke'') How can any one earning a 6-figure salary in USD talk of financial problem? But you are right, they are so cheap they give even for free.

quality is what quality buys, not so?

Your six figure USD monopoly money cant get you a quality babe? shocked
Re: Lagos Bar Beach Over Flows - Eko Atlantic City Watch Out by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Aug 27, 2009
babapupa:

Abeg stop jumping all over the place, you asked for module and I posted it, now it doesn't prove anything.what do you want it to prove really?

I asked for a module and you posted a module? Where? A YouTube video is a module ?

babapupa:

what do you want and what's your point? what are they doing wrong? what bases have they not covered?

Yes, you are nit picking,

Where have I actually stated that they are DOING SOMETHING WRONG? Can you please re-post that particular line for me to read cause I am wondering at this point if you have not concluded that this is another US vs THEM debate without properly reading each line of my posts to understand what the point to this has been.

When you ask what bases have they not covered, would that not be assuming I have seen the actual project design and documentation to make such a claim? Why would I state that we do not have those and so can only hope that all points were covered in this, and if not, they need not rush to it but spend more time on the drawing board to be sure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cleric Predicts Long Life For Buhari / Kemi Adeosun Reacts On Writing To The President Regarding The Abacha Refunds / President Buhari Returns To Abuja After OIC Summit In Makkah (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.