Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,982 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years (54741 Views)

Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Finally Devalued To N290/$ By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mamagee3(f): 10:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
That's good news!!!
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by lebesgue(m): 10:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
And what will Nigerians do?

We will resort to fasting and prayers.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by felixchip(m): 10:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
dOnLarich:
What if your wife proves you're not the biological father
of your children?

You mean when am the one that is what or what are amI
saying self .. I actually mean am the one that is not my
father
grin

Please, do you have that video? I need it combaaaaaad bad!

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HzRF(m): 10:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
Raiders:
GEJ is responsibility for all our economic problem.
I
As expected

7 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by rozayx5(m): 10:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
where is ngeneukwenu the transgendered economist grin cheesy grin grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by lagdmark(m): 10:37pm On Dec 11, 2015
Buhari naa area scatter

5 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by dvic(m): 10:37pm On Dec 11, 2015
Gtbank charge me 239 today ...using my gtbank ATM card in the state

6 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Crieff(m): 10:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
repogirl:
you just exposed your ignorance for free with this statement.. Even if you buy goods from abroad they will charge same rate as bureau de change because that is the market selling price and not CBN selling price.

Ignorance isn't a crime. Maya, of blessed memory, said, when you get-give, when you learn-teach.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by 4Play(m): 10:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
NaLaugh:
Each time I see one these "Naira Crashes" topics on Nairaland, I rush to check the official rate, to see if it's a sweet time to send cash to Naija.

But it is ALWAYS hovering at the same $1 = 199.05. Other than the very few people in Nigeria who have to make payments in USD for visas and such, I don't see how the "black market" rates are relevant to average Nigerians.

These fluctuations at the "black market" are only driven by arbitration done by people running that market.
It has zero reflection on the strengths or weaknesses of the Naira. ONLY an official change in the exchange rate signals that.

At this moment, the official exchange rate remains $1 = 199.05.

The government can fix the offical exchange rate by fiat, during the Abacha era the official rate was 22 Naira to the dollar whilst the black market rates hit 85 Naira to the dollar. You may think this does not matter but the bigger the divergence the more difficult it is to access the dollar in the official market and the less likely it is that foreign investors would invest in Nigeria.

The official exchange rate will increasingly become meaningless with time given this divergence.

11 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by macaranta(m): 10:39pm On Dec 11, 2015
In summary,if you earn in Naira and spend in dollars you are doomed.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 11, 2015
Gaborone:

Yesterday at the office, my boss walked up to us - employees- and gave an impassioned talk about President Buhari's style of governance. He said, while he thought Buhari's attempt at recovering stolen funds were not out of place in itself, he was giving way too much attention to it. According to him, the President's lack of priority in this regard had become counter-productive and had started to prove detrimental to other areas that are in dire need his attention.

To drive home his point, he gave us a parable of an employer who kept N20,000 in his office somewhere, and on coming back to take it, he discovered that one of his Clerks had run off with it. After the discovery, the employer took the keys to the office, locked it up. He ran out with as much fury as he could muster, shouting to the hearing of all who would listen, "Who saw my boy?!!!", "Please, help me find him and get my money!!" All the while this employer was out looking for the stolen money, his shop remained under lock and key, no monies coming out, no monies going in. No customer, no profits in sight; he was making losses with every turn. Yet, ALL that mattered to him remained getting the thief of a boy, and recovering the stolen money.

My boss likened the employer in the above parable to President Buhari. He says our President has practically closed shop -Nigeria- and has decided to channel all his energy into getting stolen funds, forgetting that there is a bigger picture -an economy- that needs urgent attention; forgetting that the country might be going into a recession; forgetting that people are losing their jobs, forgetting that foreign investors are leaving, and more are 'plotting' to close shop and leave Nigeria; forgetting that an economy is not run by stolen funds which are recovered, but that if anything, they are to be regarded as "extras".

The above is how my boss sees things right now, and I agree with him.

I have to agree because, since coming into office, the activities of President Buhari's government has centered around just two things: 1. Foreign trips; and 2. Instigating the prosecution of looters of the past (who I must mention are not pro his government or pro-Apc). While the relevance of the above two can really not be downplayed, the fact remains that attention need to be given to the economy of Nigeria. As my boss said, no country has ever been run on recovered funds. Me thinks he needs to stay home a bit more, and pay attention to the alarms being raised by the World Bank and other bodies about Nigeria's economy. He need to share that attention he is giving the boy who stole the money.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
MrPresident1:
God bless Nigeria.
D Zoo has fail
l
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 11, 2015
I will b d 1st to hurl stones on buhari next year, his evil govt has failed.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by murtalaa(m): 10:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
if you are a legitimate importer, you can access the dollar at official rate of 197.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:45pm On Dec 11, 2015
mployer:

Don't discuss something you know nothing about.

who told you banks are selling at 199?

I believe he meant to say buying...
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mployer(m): 10:45pm On Dec 11, 2015
NaLaugh:
Each time I see one these "Naira Crashes" topics on Nairaland, I rush to check the official rate, to see if it's a sweet time to send cash to Naija.

But it is ALWAYS hovering at the same $1 = 199.05. Other than the very few people in Nigeria who have to make payments in USD for visas and such, I don't see how the "black market" rates are relevant to average Nigerians.

These fluctuations at the "black market" are only driven by arbitration done by people running that market.
It has zero reflection on the strengths or weaknesses of the Naira. ONLY an official change in the exchange rate signals that.

grin grin

Comments like this make me laugh...bro, you know nothing about this.

10 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 10:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
Kenai:

http://www.thecable.ng/naira-trades-at-260-highest-in-42-years

With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
Did he do it with a cutlass?
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

Shame on this Twitter generation.
I will never be a slave to ignorance.

cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit
/
A person can be HIV+ for months/years without any visible symptoms. But once it develops into a full blown AIDS, death is inevitable.

Take Jonathan's administration as the incubation period of the virus called corruption. Even though undetected, it was eating away the fabrics of the Nigerian society.

Now Nigeria is suffering the full repercussions of the corruption incubated during Jonathan's administration. You cannot separate today's hardship from the carelessness, wickedness and incompetence of Jonathan just as you cannot separate AIDS from HIV. These things take time to mature. Corruption planted during GEJ's tenure has germinated and you better be ready to taste the bitter fruits when it matures.

$1== N260? Inflation will bite hard by next year. Better tighten your belts. The last cent of my fund in Nigeria has been wired out till things change. I don't trust Nigerian banks one bit in this pending harsh economic climate. Preemptive action is the way to go. Sadly Moneygram is still exchanging at N196.

There you have it.
/

9 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by IVORY2009(m): 10:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
Money in the bank, BUBU........ 260 X 20.000 cool

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
NaLaugh:

I am no economist, but remember imports...

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by otiigba1(m): 10:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
Kenai:

http://www.thecable.ng/naira-trades-at-260-highest-in-42-years

With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
Did he do it with a cutlass?
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

Shame on this Twitter generation.
I will never be a slave to ignorance.

cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit
Absolutely! I am so glad there are still people with working brains in nigeria, only a great mind like yours will know this that buhari has nothing to offer nigerians, the whole change slogan was just to confuse, distract voters from the real issue, since buhari came into power the country has got worse and the gullible nigerians are still hoping for change, buhari has nothing to lose he is an old man who hasn't got much time on earth.

Change was created to only exist in nigerians imaginations . There will never be any change now not next year not ever.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by TimeManager(m): 10:49pm On Dec 11, 2015
I WAIL FOR WAILERS! First, Its Clear They Do not Understand What A Stringent Policy Is, "we" Do Understand, We Know That PDP Had Successfully Dollarised The Economy Hence APC Could Not Afford To Dollarise It Any further To The Detriment Of The Economy. I Hope You Know That BDC Are Hoarding Dollars And You Guyz Were Also Alive When BDC Were Busy Carrying Dollars To The Tune Of #350million To Saraki's House.BDC Are Hoarding Dollars For The Politicians To The Detriment Of The Masses. You Guyz Are Blind To See That The Top Politicials And Carpetbargers Are The Major Problems Of Our Time. Wait Till Next Year When The BDC New Capitalisation Policy Takes Full Effect While The CBN Relaxes The Current Policy, And Watch The Naira Becoming Stronger Against The Dollar Via Interchange Of Demand And Supply.Cant Blame You, Too Much Wailing Blurrs The Vision, So Ya'll Are Blind To See. Change Is Here!
No Be Lie Na True!

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by chiedu7: 10:50pm On Dec 11, 2015

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by 4Play(m): 10:50pm On Dec 11, 2015
[quote author=Gaborone post=40920639][/quote]

I said to a friend of mine that Nigeria's exchange rates are a good signal as to the efficacy of the much vaunted anti-corruption fight. If you believe 3 things: that GEJ's administration stole gargantuan sums of money, that Buhari's regime has put a stop to this and that Buhari is retrieving or will retrieve money stolen previously, it's unlikely the Naira will continue to fall. This is because those 3 premises will lead to large inflows of repatriated money.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 11, 2015
With all the economic problems facing the country now the president seems not to bother about it, because all meets and summits he has attended the major thing he talks about is "FIGHT CORRUPTION". Is it not better for him put on hold the fight against corruption first and fight the survival of the economy?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
murtalaa:
if you are a legitimate importer, you can access the dollar at official rate of 197.

Which one be legitimate importer again?

Enlighten us abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by JudgementHammer: 10:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
This is why the rich keep getting richer and d poor keeps getting poorer

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by livefromnaija: 10:53pm On Dec 11, 2015
Raiders:
GEJ is responsibility for all our economic problem.

People and pointing accusing fingers. This isn't GEJ tenure so leave the old man alone.

4 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by PEREP: 10:57pm On Dec 11, 2015
All we need is an increased economic activities with export as its end product to generate FX thats meets the local needs of Nigerians and the pressure on Naira will vanish. If we remain import dependent economy, it will only go further down.

We had some good alternatives to increase our FX earnings in the banking expansion of 2007-2009 but unfortunately we got a CBN governor with zero urge for business but vigour to over-regulate the whole space which we are still paying for today.

Just imagine if the likes of Akingbola has gotten a warning to ensure all toxic loans are regularized within 12 months or Atuche with the same marching order would have yielded a better result while the brands (PHB/INTERCONTINENTAL) attract FDIs among other benefits.

The country will stabilize with increased spending by govt (6 Trillion for a start is not bad) with an eye on inflation @ the same time.

Nigeria's handlers (from President down) need to understand all factors that are external but very influential to the outcome of every policy and handle them cautiously.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by NaLaugh: 10:59pm On Dec 11, 2015
mployer:

grin grin

Comments like this make me laugh...bro, you know nothing about this.

Enlighten me, oh dear professor. smiley
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 11, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
So?...who exchange don help apart from yahoo boys?...
is dat dsame amount Aboki will change it?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Kaykay(m): 11:01pm On Dec 11, 2015
Are these not the effect of dollarisation of the economy by the past administration as exposed by Dasuki, Dokpesi &co .what you expect when the no 1 citizen decided that dollars should become the medium of exchange. It must first get to this level but Nigeria shall surely overcome.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by dumie(f): 11:02pm On Dec 11, 2015
I always knew that none of the recycled old politicians could be our saviour..But Nigerians don't learn...Bubu should better put his magic wand to work and stop gallivanting around the world

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

See The Man I Saw Using POS Machine Selling His Gurasa Suya In Birnin kebbi / Obi Cubana Hosts His Classmates At DMGS Onitsha In His Anambra Home (Photos) / Bill Gates Joins Instagram From Tanzania (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.