Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,233 members, 7,818,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years (54738 Views)

Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Finally Devalued To N290/$ By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 11:02pm On Dec 11, 2015
With all the economic problems facing the country now the president seems not to bother about it, because all meets and summits he has attended the major thing he talks about is "FIGHT CORRUPTION". Is it not better for him put on hold the fight against corruption first and fight the survival of the economy?
StOla:

I'm not surprised that you always find your voice on such threads. No exams today? You've craftily avoided threads that discuss how Dollars have been moved out of CBN in suit cases only to end up in the hands of PDP supporters.
Don't worry about dividends of democracy now, let us undo the damage done by PDP, then we can proceed towards the promised land.
We know that oil is the basis of our economy and the Naira to Dollar rate fell from N160 to N220+ in the regime of your hero.
As long as Brent continue to sell below $50/barrel, don't expect any magic that will restore it to N160 to a Dollar as was obtainable when Brent was selling above $100/barrel.
In due time, you will be put to shame.
With all the economic problems facing the country now the president seems not to bother about it, because all meets and summits he has attended the major thing he talks about is "FIGHT CORRUPTION". Is it not better for him put on hold the fight against corruption first and fight the survival of the economy?
How do your president intend to do it. Is it by fighting corruption alone will turn the economy around?

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by NaLaugh: 11:02pm On Dec 11, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

I am no economist, but remember imports...

Imports are a valid example. However, as far as I know, major importers whose activities are likely to impact the economy, and cost of everyday products, do have access to official rates.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nigeria's biggest problem is that the country's leaders are a reflection of the average intellectual capacity. Almost every comment on this thread is the result of ignorance. Nobody has taken their time to gather enough information, knowledge and understanding to provide a proper analysis of the current fiscal and monetary policies, which should form the basis of any such discussion.

There are several reasons why currencies are devalued:

1. to encourage exports

2. to discourage imports

3. to improve the trade deficit (Nigeria's trade imbalance is positive with a higher export rate).

Additionally, external shocks (e.g. food and fuel price upsurge, global economic recession) also lead to currency fluctuations.

5 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by MizMyColi(f): 11:07pm On Dec 11, 2015
StOla:

I'm not surprised that you always find your voice on such threads. No exams today? You've craftily avoided threads that discuss how Dollars have been moved out of CBN in suit cases only to end up in the hands of PDP supporters.

Don't worry about dividends of democracy now, let us undo the damage done by PDP, then we can proceed towards the promised land.

We know that oil is the basis of our economy and the Naira to Dollar rate fell from N160 to N220+ in the regime of your hero.

As long as Brent continue to sell below $50/barrel, don't expect any magic that will restore it to N160 to a Dollar as was obtainable when Brent was selling above $100/barrel.

In due time, you will be put to shame.

Dude, must you always sound like a broken record each time you quote me?

What part of "I was writing exams AT the time" and "I have already made my position on Dasuki, Dokpesi and GEJ known" do you not comprehend. I for one know you're not daft, so?

So far so good, it is you and your Sai chanters that have been continually shamed by your Idol, Buhari and his hermit policies.
And until he does something right and masses-centric, you and your fellow bandwagoners should hide your heads.

First it was a ban on small gens then lifting the ban or rice imports and then raiding the shops of rice sellers at night, carting away their goods and worse still, valuables.
Second, it was a ban on PRESSID
Third, it was a queue of petrol users begging and having vigils at filling stations in order to get fuel.
Where do I end my wailingnese if I go beyond the above mentioned?

Whenever there's a cleaning going on, it is expected that progress would be made, and no matter how miniscule, the affected parts feel it. Pray tell, what is the word on the streets today? Is there any sector of the populace genuinely applauding Buhari?

You lot keep "cleaning PDP's mess" soon

Go and ask the president of Tanzania what it means to be a real change agent and not a compromiser.

Mess ko; Yaso niundecided

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 11:07pm On Dec 11, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Which one be legitimate importer again?

Enlighten us abeg.
/
Don't mind him.

We used to have importers pay naira into account in Nigeria and have their representatives collect the dollar equivalent over here at an agreed exchange rate. But with this wild gyrations in exchange rate, what manner of an importer will continue to do business this way?

I am currently looking towards Hong Kong. I am so done with Nigeria. It is not worth the stress.

Oil closed lower today. It is hovering around $38. I expect a minor bounce by next week. Nigeria is in deep sh1t if this trend continues. Don't forget that 2016 is based on oil price at 38. Middle Eastern nations have billions of dollars in reserves to cushion the effects of any rout in oil prices. But like drunken sailors, Jonathan and cohorts carried on as if every condition is permanent with the goading of Okonjo iweala, a colossal failure by the way.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by NaLaugh: 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2015
4Play:

The government can fix the offical exchange rate by fiat, during the Abacha era the official rate was 22 Naira to the dollar whilst the black market rates hit 85 Naira to the dollar. You may think this does not matter but the bigger the divergence the more difficult it is to access the dollar in the official market and the less likely it is that foreign investors would invest in Nigeria.

The official exchange rate will increasingly become meaningless with time given this divergence.

One does not simply do a "fiat pump" and "fix" an exchange rate. The true exchange rate will only respond to true economic and financial changes, not an ON/OFF switch "solution."

I haven't seen anyone here declare themselves as a trained and seasoned economist, so all we're doing here is speculating, at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Kaykay(m): 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2015
livefromnaija:

People and pointing accusing fingers. This isn't GEJ tenure so leave the old man alone.
Dear, these are the effects of mismanagement we had during that administration. Nairas taken from CBN were changed into dollars, distributed to chiefs &big goons of the party. Don't let us have short memories, the arrest of Dasuki recently exposed these.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HzRF(m): 11:12pm On Dec 11, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
A person can be HIV+ for months/years without any visible symptoms. But once it develops into a full blown AIDS, death is inevitable.

Take Jonathan's administration as the incubation period of the virus called corruption. Even though undetected, it was eating away the fabrics of the Nigerian society.

Now Nigeria is suffering the full repercussions of the corruption incubated during Jonathan's administration. You cannot separate today's hardship from the carelessness, wickedness and incompetence of Jonathan just as you cannot separate AIDS from HIV. These things take time to mature. Corruption planted during GEJ's tenure has germinated and you better be ready to taste the bitter fruits when it matures.

$1== N260? Inflation will bite hard by next year. Better tighten your belts. The last cent of my fund in Nigeria has been wired out till things change. I don't trust Nigerian banks one bit in this pending harsh economic climate. Preemptive action is the way to go. Sadly Moneygram is still exchanging at N196.

There you have it.
/
Here they come again with their theme song

Tell me
What was Buhari thinking when he was making the promises
Tell me 1 thing apc didn't accuse GEJ of

So they don't know what they are getting into?

Leave story that moves the gravity

Bubu has failed QED
After 6 no definite direction/policy

9 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Royalprestidge(m): 11:12pm On Dec 11, 2015
It is far from truth. As at today CBN Exchange Rates Export Exchange Rate Results to Excel / CSV Date Currency Buying(NGN) Central(NGN) Selling(NGN) 12/11/2015 US DOLLAR 196 196.5 197 POUNDS STERLING 296.9204 297.6779 298.4353 EURO 215.0316 215.5802 216.1287
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by UncleJudax(m): 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2015
Raiders:
GEJ is responsibility for all our economic problem.
Eww! English grin

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HzRF(m): 11:18pm On Dec 11, 2015
TimeManager:
I WAIL FOR WAILERS! First, Its Clear They Do not Understand What A Stringent Policy Is, "we" Do Understand, We Know That PDP Had Successfully Dollarised The Economy Hence APC Could Not Afford To Dollarise It Any further To The Detriment Of The Economy. I Hope You Know That BDC Are Hoarding Dollars And You Guyz Were Also Alive When BDC Were Busy Carrying Dollars To The Tune Of #350million To Saraki's House.BDC Are Hoarding Dollars For The Politicians To The Detriment Of The Masses. You Guyz Are Blind To See That The Top Politicials And Carpetbargers Are The Major Problems Of Our Time. Wait Till Next Year When The BDC New Capitalisation Policy Takes Full Effect While The CBN Relaxes The Current Policy, And Watch The Naira Becoming Stronger Against The Dollar Via Interchange Of Demand And Supply.Cant Blame You, Too Much Wailing Blurrs The Vision, So Ya'll Are Blind To See. Change Is Here!
No Be Lie Na True!

Mumu which useless policy will make naira stronger
Jan will soon be here then u will know that ur messiah is too dull to handle this country.

All the useless policy CBN was forcing on banks where has it led to

5 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
PEREP:
All we need is an increased economic activities with export as its end product to generate FX thats meets the local needs of Nigerians and the pressure on Naira will vanish. If we remain import dependent economy, it will only go further down.

Nigeria's export rate is higher than its import rate, isn't it?

We had some good alternatives to increase our FX earnings in the banking expansion of 2007-2009 but unfortunately we got a CBN governor with zero urge for business but vigour to over-regulate the whole space which we are still paying for today.

Just imagine if the likes of Akingbola has gotten a warning to ensure all toxic loans are regularized within 12 months or Atuche with the same marching order would have yielded a better result while the brands (PHB/INTERCONTINENTAL) attract FDIs among other benefits.

The country will stabilize with increased spending by govt (6 Trillion for a start is not bad) with an eye on inflation @ the same time.

Does the government have the money to spend? What should they invest in?

The Central Bank is there to have both eyes on inflation. It is not a government's job.

Nigeria's handlers (from President down) need to understand all factors that are external but very influential to the outcome of every policy and handle them cautiously.

Expertise is urgently needed.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nigerians Stand up!
Behold your change... enjoy it

I'm so loving this grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Atlantian: 11:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Hahahahaaha

A country that people use plastic bags to buy petrol and where IDP are fed with buckets.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by UncleJudax(m): 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2015
Papertrail11:
if yu wanna make dollar reduce and help the economy cancel that nonsense called bureau the changi simple......

banks are selln for 199 yu guys are selln for 260 una dey crasee..... every normal person who needs dollar ought to go the bank and easily get it but yu guys create some kind of artificial increase nd help fiance money laundering....and stuff.....if normal pple went to bank an bureau the changi is cancelled pple who do not necessarily need it wont rush to buy it......I dont know if sm1 is feeln me here just d way I see it
Hahaha. You no even do home economies grin

I bet you do not know there are so many imported things that the importers sole source of Dollars is Bureau De Change.

Where have you been, Chihuahua Island?

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2015
HzRF:

Here they come again with their theme song

Tell me
What was Buhari thinking when he was making the promises
Tell me 1 thing apc didn't accuse GEJ of

So they don't know what they are getting into?

Leave story that moves the gravity

Bubu has failed QED
After 6 no definite direction/policy
/
Ask any landlord. Some tenants facing eviction will trash an apartment to make the place uninhabitable by the next tenant.
For you goons, you are advocating that the landlord pretend that nothing is amiss and rent out the place, carry on like it is an el Eldorado. No! The place must be fixed first. Buhari must step up the house cleaning.

A programme that contains a lot of errors on compiling must be fully debugged to be fully operational. Only a mor.on will continue coding with multiple errors staring him in the face. Buhari must debug Nigeria first before any reasonable progress will be made.

How much more do I need to educate you on the difference between reality and fantasy?

/

7 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Atmmachine(m): 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2015
I love this.
Ask me why.
When i send $8000 down to Nigeria, i will build like 3 story building.

4 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HzRF(m): 11:27pm On Dec 11, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Ask any landlord. Some tenants facing eviction will trash an apartment to make the place uninhabitable by the next tenant.
For you goons, you are advocating that the landlord pretend that nothing is amiss and rent out the place, carry on like it is an el Eldorado. No! The place must be fixed first. Buhari must step up the house cleaning.

A programme that contains a lot of errors on compiling must be fully debugged to be fully operational. Only a mor.on will continue coding with multiple errors staring him in the face. Buhari must debug Nigeria first before any reasonable progress will be made.

How much more do I need to educate you on the difference between reality and fantasy?

/
Debug Nigeria with the help of those who he claimed destroy it

U think u have seen the height of gullibility cum stupidity login to nairaland and sumone is waiting to prove you wrong

5 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by dOnLarich: 11:28pm On Dec 11, 2015
felixchip:

Please, do you have that video? I need it combaaaaaad bad!
yes bro .. How do you wanna get it..
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by TolaniLuv: 11:30pm On Dec 11, 2015
Yahoo boys season! Check & Balance
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by oliver003: 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2015
I am very ashemed of myself today when I went to Niger Republic to buy some things for the weekend from my boarder town in Nigeria, when I want to change my Naira to their cefa, they are rejecting Naira and laughing at me that the Naira is not money. I have to look for a friend to help beg them before they change my Naira to cefa at #500 to 1000f which as at this period last year was #225 to 1000f. We need serious prayer for this country because we are in serious problem. Our currency is like toilet paper.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2015
HzRF:

Debug Nigeria with the help of those who he claimed destroy it

U think u have seen the height of gullibility cum stupidity login to nairaland and sumone is waiting to prove you wrong
/
Go report to Jesus so that Angel Michael will come down from heaven to fix it.
Nigeria is made up of looters, looters-in-waiting and wanna be looters.
Sadly, every government must choose from the pack. If you don't like it, jump off a cliff. After all, they are your people and you folks encourage and worship them.
/
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2015
Demmocrats:
I don't think that lady is capable of handling that ministry, we need exceptional smart people with track record of managing world class businesses. Nigerian economy is too big for that lady.
it is not the lady's fault. Buhari is simply too dull to know what to do
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by porka: 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
RedCapChief:
Buhari is technically the Minister of Finance. Emefiele and Kemi Adeosun are just mirroring Buhari's body language. They both deserve to be sacked for taking our economy to the dustbin. They are so many competent first-class economists who can lead us through these times but Baba had to settle for a graduate of University of East London - a mid tier institution - who doesn't even have a Masters degree. IMHO she is bigger than the post.

I want to know who is advising Buhari at this point. This is not the first time the naira has fallen but yet our currency is turning to chaff

All he seems to care about is chasing Dasuki and Dokpesi, completely clueless on economics

Shouldn't Buhari have been appointed as the EFCC Chairman instead?

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by felixchip(m): 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
dOnLarich:
yes bro .. How do you wanna get it..

I no know whether you fit upload am somewhere for me. Or abeg, send am for me via whatsapp or BBM.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Lovelynature(m): 11:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
lasisi69:
H
meaning?Shee you don retire from end time matter?? Guess the H stands for Hendtime abi? smileysmileycheesycheesy

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Lovelynature(m): 11:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
Samirana360:
In d bible i read dat a day is lik 1000 years....in buhari's administration i discover dat N1000 is lik N1 4 bubu....and dat's y he said he's goin 2 make N1 =$1...what he actually mean is N1000 =$1...very soon he wil achieve dat
hahaha, see talk oo. Bro you funny ehh
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by dOnLarich: 11:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
felixchip:

I no know whether you fit upload am somewhere for me. Or abeg, send am for me via whatsapp or BBM.
whatsapp... 081-6427-4529
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by AceRoyal: 11:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
A person can be HIV+ for months/years without any visible symptoms. But once it develops into a full blown AIDS, death is inevitable.

Take Jonathan's administration as the incubation period of the virus called corruption. Even though undetected, it was eating away the fabrics of the Nigerian society.

Now Nigeria is suffering the full repercussions of the corruption incubated during Jonathan's administration. You cannot separate today's hardship from the carelessness, wickedness and incompetence of Jonathan just as you cannot separate AIDS from HIV. These things take time to mature. Corruption planted during GEJ's tenure has germinated and you better be ready to taste the bitter fruits when it matures.

$1== N260? Inflation will bite hard by next year. Better tighten your belts. The last cent of my fund in Nigeria has been wired out till things change. I don't trust Nigerian banks one bit in this pending harsh economic climate. Preemptive action is the way to go. Sadly Moneygram is still exchanging at N196.

There you have it.
/
Well said BUT CORRUPTION DID NOT START FROM GEJ'S ADMINISTRATION!OBJ IS ALSO GROSSLY AND EQUALLY RESPONSIBLE.ALL PAST NIGERIAN LEADERS ARE RESPONSIBLE.
I'M NOT IN SUPPORT OF GEJ OR PMB,ALL I WANT IS FAIRNESS AND EQUALITY IN APPROPRIATING BLAMES,PROBES AND JUSTICE!

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Geniro: 11:37pm On Dec 11, 2015
InvertedHammer:

[s]/

[/s]
/

Your analogy is moronic. quit posting.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by lasisi69(f): 11:39pm On Dec 11, 2015
Lovelynature:
meaning?Shee you don retire from end time matter?? Guess the H stands for Hendtime abi? smileysmileycheesycheesy
lol.. Na u talk am o

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by porka: 11:39pm On Dec 11, 2015
Atmmachine:
I love this.
Ask me why.
When i send $8000 down to Nigeria, i will build like 3 story building.

You better be careful, if they see dollars with your siblings, they might say it's 'stolen money'.

Anybody with access to hard currency now in Nigeria is a 'treasury looter'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. / See The Man I Saw Using POS Machine Selling His Gurasa Suya In Birnin kebbi / Obi Cubana Hosts His Classmates At DMGS Onitsha In His Anambra Home (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.