Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,499 members, 7,836,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years (54783 Views)

Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Finally Devalued To N290/$ By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by ngmgeek(m): 11:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
This calls for fasting and prayers!

Fasting and prayers for what?
For the Nigerian electorate to have better judgement?
Or For us to have better and more intelligent leaders?

I have given up on fasting and praying for Nigeria. All man to his tent. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Standing5(m): 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2015
oshyno:
We are in deep shiiet. How can Mr president focus only on fighting corruption. Who even told him d recovered money won't be looted by his goons.

Our economy is in shambles and the government is not saying anytin to give hope to investors. Wahala dey seriously.
Whenever i read comments by your likes, it isn't hard to percieve the feeling of insecurity this probe thing is causing 'you guys'. As of March, the value of dollar was speculated to hit around 260 Naira by June/July. So if it is just hitting N260 your brain should tell your Buhari was able to push the D-day forward some 5 months and that's no mean feat given that the factor used in predicting those value has since changed for worse.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
AceRoyal:

Well said BUT CORRUPTION DID NOT START FROM GEJ'S ADMINISTRATION!OBJ IS ALSO GROSSLY AND EQUALLY RESPONSIBLE.ALL PAST NIGERIAN LEADERS ARE RESPONSIBLE.
I'M NOT IN SUPPORT OF GEJ OR PMB,ALL I WANT IS FAIRNESS AND EQUALITY IN APPROPRIATING BLAMES,PROBES AND JUSTICE!
/
We are clamouring for equity, fairness, transparency and accountability in the celebrated fight against corruption.
Corruption is synonymous with Nigeria. It didn't start with GEJ even though he took it to a new high by intentionally castrating EFCC during his tenure to make looting easier.

So it is dishonorable for his goons to find him exculpable in this rot that Nigeria has found herself in.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by norchase(m): 11:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
dOnLarich:
What if your wife proves you're not the biological father
of your children?

You mean when am the one that is what or what are amI
saying self .. I actually mean am the one that is not my
father
grin
Mr IBU: what are you trying to say cheesy
pulse tv
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
Geniro:

Your analogy is moronic. quit posting.
/
/

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by switchril(m): 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
Global crude oil pricing is affecting the strength of our Currency. All oil dependent countries from Venezuela to Angola currencies are being tested. The current decision by OPEC not to reduce supply(cut production) of crude oil saw price of oil dip
thereby battering the currencies of these countries. Oil is speculated to get to $20 by last quarter of 2016 (especially when Iranian oil comes into d market) which would lead to a further battering of the Naira. We need to not only diversify our economy but also boost our reserves

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:53pm On Dec 11, 2015
NaLaugh:

Imports are a valid example. However, as far as I know, major importers whose activities are likely to impact the economy, and cost of everyday products, do have access to official rates.

Dude, you want to see this:

CBN Bans 40 Items from Accessing Forex.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Tuesday officially stopped the sale of dollars for a list of 40 items as it seeks to reduce pressure on the naira as well as preserve the country’s external reserves.

These items include rice, cement, margarine, palm kernel/palm oil products/vegetable oil, meat and processed meat products, vegetable and processed vegetable products, poultry –chicken, eggs, turkey - private airplanes/jet, Indian Incense, tinned fish in sauce - Geisha/Sardines, cold roiled steel sheet and galvanised steel sheets.

Others are roofing sheets, wheel barrows, head pans, metal boxes and containers, enamelware, steel drums, steel pipes, wires, rods, wire mesh, steel nails, security and razor wire, wood particles boards and panels, wood fiber board and panels, plywood boards and wooden doors.

In addition, sourcing of forex for the importation of toothpicks, glass and glassware, kitchen utensils, tables, textiles, woven fabrics, clothes, plastic and rubber products, soap and cosmetic, tomatoes/tomato paste and Eurobond/foreign currency bond/share purchase.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/cbn-bans-40-items-from-accessing-forex/212965/

Wetin remain?

Anytime the exchange rate sneezes, we catch cold - instanta.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by AceRoyal: 11:55pm On Dec 11, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
We are clamouring for equity, fairness, transparency and accountability in the celebrated fight against corruption.
Corruption is synonymous with Nigeria. It didn't start with GEJ even though he took it to a new high by intentionally castrating EFCC during his tenure to make looting easier.

So it is dishonorable for his goons to find him exculpable in this rot that Nigeria has found herself in.
There is more to all these that actually meets the eye!
Don't be gullible and politically sentimental.
Too many things just don't add up.
well....we just have to fasten our seat belts cuz it's gonna be a very bumpy ride.
Creating too many enemies,will make them United even if they hate themselves to fight PMB's government and make sure he fails and is disgraced to the detriment of the ordinary citizens.He might seem to be winning the battle but he might not win the war.Not with his present tactics.
"When a mosquito is sucking on a man's testicles,he uses wisdom to kill it and not brute force".
PMB should learn that there are so many ways to kill a rat in a clay pot without breaking it.
Right now,he is doing good short term but creating more harm longterm.
#MyHumblePatroticOpinion

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by talk2tosep(m): 11:59pm On Dec 11, 2015
This is happening everywhere in africa,check the dollar against southafrican rand, last week it was i
1 usd / 14 rand today is 1 usd/ 15.8,the highest in southafrican history...why are we crying..meanwhile 4 years ago 1 usd is 6.5 rand..

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Atmmachine(m): 12:01am On Dec 12, 2015
porka:

You better be careful, if they see dollars with your siblings, they might say it's 'stolen money'.

Anybody with access to hard currency now in Nigeria is a 'treasury looter'.

If they see some dollars with my siblings, they will say it's stolen ??
Lol
I will use any possible way to eliminate that person.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Geniro: 12:01am On Dec 12, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
So says the deaf and dumb that couldn't come up with one line of argument for or against the topic among his peers.
/

Better to keep quiet and be thought wise than to open your silly hole and be seen foolish.

Just quit posting.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by porka: 12:01am On Dec 12, 2015
switchril:
Global crude oil pricing is affecting the strength of our Currency. All oil dependent countries from Venezuela to Angola currencies are being tested. The current decision by OPEC not to reduce supply(cut production) of crude oil saw price of oil dip
thereby battering the currencies of these countries. Oil is speculated to get to $20 by last quarter of 2016 (especially when Iranian oil comes into d market) which would lead to a further battering of the Naira. We need to not only diversify our economy but also boost our reserves

Boost reserves?

When?

Now?

How?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mickey45: 12:02am On Dec 12, 2015
ifyan:
I don't think it's up to this figure because it was sold at N250.00 to N253.00 today.

Check it from here http://www.nairausd.com/2015/12/exchange-rate-of-dollar-to-naira11th.html?m=1

Not everything you read on the Internet is true

Still an all time high IMO...
Needless to say inciting tone of the writer certainly worked
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by porka: 12:03am On Dec 12, 2015
Atmmachine:

If they see some dollars with my siblings, they will say it's stolen ??
Lol
I will use any possible way to eliminate that person.

Ok o!
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 12:05am On Dec 12, 2015
AceRoyal:

There is more to all these that actually meets the eye!
Don't be gullible and politically sentimental.
Too many things just don't add up.
well....we just have to fasten our seat belts cuz it's gonna be a very bumpy ride.
Creating too many enemies,will make them United even if they hated PMB to fight him and make sure he is disgraced.He might seem to be winning the battle but he might not win the war.Not with his present tactics.
"When a mosquito is sucking on a man's testicles,he uses wisdom to kill it and not brute force".
PMB should learn that there are so many ways to kill a rat in a clay pot without breaking it.
Right now,he is doing good short term but creating more harm longterm.
#MyHumblePatroticOpinion
/
We don't know how all these will play out.

But for sure, not acting at all is not an option.

We must extricate ourselves from mental slavery.

I guess you are advocating that he maintains the status quo.

Only a fo.ol will do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results.

Since Independence Nigeria has been sweeping her problems under the proverbial carpet. That's why we are where we are today. Isn't it about time we try something different for a change? If it doesn't work, history will forgive Buhari at least for trying. Not trying to curb or fight corruption should not be an option because there are no viable alternatives.

/
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by TimeManager(m): 12:09am On Dec 12, 2015
@HzRF, Cant Blame You, CHANGE Is Alien To You. You Have Been Blooded By PDP System Of Insanity. BDC Capitalisation Policy Would Breath Sanity Into Our Monetary System Just As It Did In The Banking Sector. The Loosed Structures In The BDC Would Cease To Exist While CBN Would Better Regulate The Market Effectively. Those BDC Operators Fronting For Politicians And The Super Rich Civil Servants Would Either Step In Or Step Out. I Know You Want A Sudden Change But fortunately Or Unfortunately, CHANGE Is Not Sudden But Systematic
The Truth Has Spoken!
The Truth Has Spoken!

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by tical(m): 12:09am On Dec 12, 2015
wake me up when 1 dollar = 1000 naira undecided
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 12:09am On Dec 12, 2015
Geniro:

Better to keep quiet and be thought wise than to open your silly hole and be seen foolish.

Just quit posting.
/
I will give you credit for acknowledging that you are hiding your ignorance.

You need to fight off your low self-esteem and come up with an opinion. Nobody is going to beat you up. There is no right or wrong answer here. Even among your anonymous peers, you are too insecure to have an opinion. Oh! When men were men...

You are indirectly indicting your father for raising a girlie-man. This is exactly the problem I have with a single mother raising a man. It litters the society with fruity bend overs.
/

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by porka: 12:13am On Dec 12, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/

Since Independence Nigeria has been sweeping her problems under the proverbial carpet. That's why we are where we are today. Isn't it about time we try something different for a change? If it doesn't work, history will forgive Buhari at least for trying. Not trying to curb or fight corruption should not be an option because there are no viable alternatives.

/

Thousands of workers have already been sacked.

Many companies will layoff their workers these December ending.

It means many current workers will become jobless from January.

If the affected people are to write Buhari's history, it's doubtful if they will say 'he tried'.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by AceRoyal: 12:13am On Dec 12, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/

/

PLEASE IF YOU WANT TO QUOTE ME APPLY SOME INTELLIGENCE OR MAYBE SIMPLE COMPREHENSION IS YOUR PROBLEM!
DID I SAY HE SHOULD NOT TAKE ANY ACTION?DID I INSINUATE I AM AGAINST HIS FIGHT ON CORRUPTION?DID I SEEM TO TAKE SIDES OR SUPPORT ANYONE?
SAYING HE SHOULD APPLY WISDOM IS NOT PERCEIVED AS AN ATTACK ON PMB?
I KNOW YOU ARE AN ARDENT SUPPORTER OF PMB BUT PLS DO NOT AT ANY POINT IN TIME TRY TO ROPE ME IN ANY PARTISAN POLITICAL DISCUSS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SOUND AND FEEL INTELLIGENT!

*I WONT GIVE YOU THE PLEASURE OF A REPLY,QUOTE ME ALL YOU WANT!

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by chukkiephil(m): 12:14am On Dec 12, 2015
[b] With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
Did he do it with a cutlass?
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

Shame on this Twitter generation.
I will never be a slave to ignorance.
[/b] This is funny but true, the nation be like Dasuki shares 150BN dollars to his girlfriends. grin grin
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Geniro: 12:14am On Dec 12, 2015
InvertedHammer:

[s]/
I will give you credit for acknowledging that you are hiding your ignorance.

You need to fight off your low self-esteem and come up with an opinion. Nobody is going to beat you up. There is no right or wrong answer here. Even among your anonymous peers, you are too insecure to have an opinion. Oh! When men were men...

You are indirectly indicting your father for raising a girlie-man.[/s]
/

Save your worthless post for your miserable parents when you see them. They should be the one to bear the brunt of your stupidity and not the general public.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mbulela: 12:14am On Dec 12, 2015
ifyan:
I don't think it's up to this figure because it was sold at N250.00 to N253.00 today.

Check it from here http://www.nairausd.com/2015/12/exchange-rate-of-dollar-to-naira11th.html?m=1

Not everything you read on the Internet is true
I tire for the story o.
I changed today at the rate you indicated. I was wondering if I had been scammed as I read this.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by elcee1: 12:14am On Dec 12, 2015
End time hiking, what do you expect from a 1st schoolleaving certificate holder..This is just the begining
GBAGAM!!
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by stankezzy: 12:16am On Dec 12, 2015
jona abeg come back

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by ifyan(m): 12:17am On Dec 12, 2015
mbulela:

I tire for the story o.
I changed today at the rate you indicated. I was wondering if I had been scammed as I read this.

How much
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by HzRF(m): 12:17am On Dec 12, 2015
TimeManager:
@HzRF, Cant Blame You, CHANGE Is Alien To You. You Have Been Blooded By PDP System Of Insanity. BDC Capitalisation Policy Would Breath Sanity Into Our Monetary System Just As It Did In The Banking Sector. The Loosed Structures In The BDC Would Cease To Exist While CBN Would Better Regulate The Market Effectively. Those BDC Operators Fronting For Politicians And The Super Rich Civil Servants Would Either Step In Or Step Out. I Know You Want A Sudden Change But fortunately Or Unfortunately, CHANGE Is Not Sudden But Systematic
The Truth Has Spoken!
The Truth Has Spoken!
While u import over 90% of what d country use

Lol
Keep fooling ursef
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 12:20am On Dec 12, 2015
AceRoyal:

PLEASE IF YOU WANT TO QUOTE ME APPLY SOME INTELLIGENCE OR MAYBE SIMPLE COMPREHENSION IS YOUR PROBLEM!
DID I SAY HE SHOULD NOT TAKE ANY ACTION?DID I INSINUATE I AM AGAINST HIS FIGHT ON CORRUPTION?DID I SEEM TO TAKE SIDES OR SUPPORT ANYONE?
SAYING HE SHOULD APPLY WISDOM IS NOT PERCEIVED AS AN ATTACK ON PMB?
I KNOW YOU ARE AN ARDENT SUPPORTER OF PMB BUT PLS DO NOT AT ANY POINT IN TIME TRY TO ROPE ME IN ANY PARTISAN POLITICAL DISCUSS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SOUND AND FEEL INTELLIGENT!

*I WONT GIVE YOU THE PLEASURE OF A REPLY,QUOTE ME ALL YOU WANT!
/
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by InvertedHammer: 12:22am On Dec 12, 2015
Geniro:

Save your worthless post for your miserable parents when you see them. They should be the one to bear the brunt of your stupidity and not the general public.
/
Here he goes again.

What's your opinion?

Be a man!
/
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Papertrail11(m): 12:23am On Dec 12, 2015
UncleJudax:

Hahaha. You no even do home economies grin

I bet do notknow there are so many imported things that the importers sole source of Dollars is Bureau De Change.

Where have you been, Chihuahua Island?

like dose pple can go to d bank and get it at a cheaper rate abi......ode rather than allown mallms creatn artificial scarcity
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Papertrail11(m): 12:24am On Dec 12, 2015
repogirl:
you just exposed your ignorance for free with this statement.. Even if you buy goods from abroad they will charge same rate as bureau de change because that is the market selling price and not CBN selling price.

dont agree mate
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by NaLaugh: 12:25am On Dec 12, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Dude, you want to see this:

Wetin remain?

Anytime the exchange rate sneezes, we catch cold - instanta.

Valid points.

However, a ban on certain imports to any country is a necessary step in maintaining that country's currency value.

Regardless of short term effects, the focus should be on long term sustainability.
I mean, why in the hell should Nigeria be importing tooth picks to begin with?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. / See The Man I Saw Using POS Machine Selling His Gurasa Suya In Birnin kebbi / My Jumia And Konga Consultancy Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.