Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years (54718 Views)

Naira Finally Improves At The Interbank Rate / Naira Crashes To 288/dollar At New Official Market / Naira Finally Devalued To N290/$ By Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by NaLaugh: 3:25am On Dec 12, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

The items weren't banned from being imported...read again.

Long story short: a high exchange rate will affect EVERYONE. There's no getting around it.

Dude, I have a degree from an Ivy League college, I'm pretty sure I can read. smiley

My comment wasn't suggesting the items were "banned," according to the article. The underlying motive to cut their access to foreign currency IS to dissuade them from importing those products. This consequently forces a drop in their importation, with the same desired effect a ban would have on the currency. They might be forced to the black market, but at a lower output.

Again, the short term negative effect is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Except the status quo is somehow desirable to Nigerians.

No pain, no gain.

I have/am not disagreeing with anything you've said per se. I have only offered a different perspective.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by October1960: 3:31am On Dec 12, 2015
Which party delivered the final blow to the economy? Was it not the 16 years of PDP rule. Now after stabbing the patient (Nigeria) for 16 years the doctors arrive and you blame them for attempting to fix the mess created by 16 years of mis-rule.

Kenai:

http://www.thecable.ng/naira-trades-at-260-highest-in-42-years

With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
Did he do it with a cutlass?
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

Shame on this Twitter generation.
I will never be a slave to ignorance.

cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by ngoziama: 3:33am On Dec 12, 2015
Papertrail11:
if yu wanna make dollar reduce and help the economy cancel that nonsense called bureau the changi simple......

banks are selln for 199 yu guys are selln for 260 una dey crasee..... every normal person who needs dollar ought to go the bank and easily get it but yu guys create some kind of artificial increase nd help fiance money laundering....and stuff.....if normal pple went to bank an bureau the changi is cancelled pple who do not necessarily need it wont rush to buy it......I dont know if sm1 is feeln me here just d way I see it

I feel u my friend.the solution to my business now is to leave nigeria for other countries and I have concluded the plans.we are in deepshit. Its time we ensured thorough debate and grilling of presidential aspirants to ensure that brains and not olodo leads the country.a useless country wher you cant buy currency in the bank but from bdc
...and you call it one nigeria. RUBBISH .buhari knows no jack and will compound problems if he doesn't listen to brains .

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by ngoziama: 3:36am On Dec 12, 2015
ifyan:
I don't think it's up to this figure because it was sold at N250.00 to N253.00 today.

Check it from here http://www.nairausd.com/2015/12/exchange-rate-of-dollar-to-naira11th.html?m=1

Not everything you read on the Internet is true

It is true infact pound is 369 and dollar is 260
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 3:37am On Dec 12, 2015
Our economy is In shambles.. I just pray this shiit doesn't affect my investments in the stock exchange market. So help me God!
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Ahmeduana(m): 3:38am On Dec 12, 2015
ifyan:
I don't think it's up to this figure because it was sold at N250.00 to N253.00 today.

Check it from here http://www.nairausd.com/2015/12/exchange-rate-of-dollar-to-naira11th.html?m=1

Not everything you read on the Internet is true
JUST SHOT UP YOUR MOUTH IF DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY, IS IT UNTIL IT GET to 260# BEFORE YOU REALISE THAT NIGERIA IS FAST SINKING? EVEN FASTER THAN QUICKSAND! YOU KEEP CREATING EXCUSES FOR BUHARI UP TILL YOU'VE NOT RUN OUT OF EXCUSES, WHEN ALL OF US WERE SHOUTING THAT THIS MAN IS NOT CAPABLE, PEOPLE LIKE YOU WERE SAYING THAT EVEN IF HE PRESENT NEPA BILL AS CERTIFICATE YOU WILL VOTE FOR HIM, WHAT YOU DID EXPECT FROM A PERSON THAT IS ONLY CREDENTIAL IS ANTI-CORRUPTION, NOW HE HAS WON THE ELECTION PRESIDENT HARRY PORTER SHOULD PERFORM MAGIC WITH IS MAGICAL WAND. UP TILL PEOPLE LIKE FAIL TO REALISE THAT YOUR PRESIDENT REPRESENTS THE NORTHERN OLIGARCH.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by October1960: 3:43am On Dec 12, 2015
There are a few core reasons for devaluation.

1. A consumer society. We as a people like imported things designer clothes, shine shine things etc

2. No innovation, locally created and manufactured or high intellectual items think of such things as Apple, FB, Instagram, some are physical items others intellectual creations which bring income for developed countries.

3. Massive corruption and mis-management at all levels for many decades.

There is enough blame to go around.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by October1960: 3:51am On Dec 12, 2015
Lol like your analogy of toasting Nigeria like toasting a female. Well APC have 'cum' like other politicians before them. They have lost interest. grin

Perhaps the oil price at 40% of last year has shown there is not enough money for them to share and steal like PDP.

Sanchase:
This is rape of the highest order.

1. The President is not addressing any issues arising.

2. He is not communicating with Nigerians on his short and long term plans for the economy.

3. He parades as corruption undertaker across parts of the world while Nigerians wine and dine in poverty.

ADVICE: Nigerians run for your lives, this administration is just filled with empty promises. The kind of promise they make is such promises you make to a girl while attempting to sleep with her. As soon as you sleep with the girl then you realize what a fool you have been for making such a promise.

This current government has slept with Nigerians but still fail to acknowledge it was all campaign promises.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Angelovic96: 4:15am On Dec 12, 2015
Raiders:
GEJ is responsibility for all our economic problem.

hahahahahahaha! look at what change has done to dis grammar

3 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by October1960: 4:17am On Dec 12, 2015
Well said. The truth.

Naijas and their rush rush mentality. Some people expect 16 years of BAD or rather no management to be repaired in 6 months.

it took Obama and his team about 4 years to right the US economy. And the US economy is a real economy not the "join government and steal economy" of Nigeria that distorts and disrupts real economic progress.

InvertedHammer:

/
Ask any landlord. Some tenants facing eviction will trash an apartment to make the place uninhabitable by the next tenant.
For you goons, you are advocating that the landlord pretend that nothing is amiss and rent out the place, carry on like it is an el Eldorado. No! The place must be fixed first. Buhari must step up the house cleaning.

A programme that contains a lot of errors on compiling must be fully debugged to be fully operational. Only a mor.on will continue coding with multiple errors staring him in the face. Buhari must debug Nigeria first before any reasonable progress will be made.

How much more do I need to educate you on the difference between reality and fantasy?

/

4 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Angelovic96: 4:24am On Dec 12, 2015
October1960:
Which party delivered the final blow to the economy? Was it not the 16 years of PDP rule. Now after stabbing the patient (Nigeria) for 16 years the doctors arrive and you blame them for attempting to fix the mess created by 16 years of mis-rule.

you are a fool at what ever age you are now have you ever considered why we gave APC our mandate

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by crestrader(m): 4:41am On Dec 12, 2015
Na Jonathan cause am abio?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by AmeLonRo(m): 4:57am On Dec 12, 2015
Banks will tell you they do not have dollars. So, most people have to patronise mallams!.
If am lying go to any bank in Nigeria on monday and tell them you want to buy dollar at 197 and see the reaction. They will always tell you they do not have.

ifyan:

You are 70.09999% wrong.

Who created BDC at first & who told you that's it BDC that do money laundering the most, my bro if you don't know please make enquiry first before you jump into conclusion. It the bank and black mmarkers that do it the most.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by wilcox(m): 5:02am On Dec 12, 2015
All I can say is that they was a country.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by tunde1200(m): 5:03am On Dec 12, 2015
Nawa for you oo.

Emekamex:
I will make 1 naira = 1 dollar -> Buhari
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by AmeLonRo(m): 5:07am On Dec 12, 2015
Thank you jare, Nigeria is a consumer society. Most things are bought from outside with dollars.
Electronics especially in addition to others.

October1960:
There are a few core reasons for devaluation.

1. A consumer society. We as a people like imported things designer clothes, shine shine things etc

2. No innovation, locally created and manufactured or high intellectual items think of such things as Apple, FB, Instagram, some are physical items others intellectual creations which bring income for developed countries.

3. Massive corruption and mis-management at all levels for many decades.

There is enough blame to go around.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by onunwa21(m): 5:20am On Dec 12, 2015
U re lyn #1 equals $1...........change is here

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by hopilo: 5:38am On Dec 12, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
So?...who exchange don help apart from yahoo boys?...
Guy will you stop this display of ignorance in the public. Don't make me believe what the keep saying about touts on Nairaland

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by 989900: 5:43am On Dec 12, 2015
This is sad!

All the past goverments joined hands in effectively ruining this country.

Jonathan's government had the chance to make things better with oil @ more than $110 for a long while, but squandered that!

Buhari is trying generally, but he could do far better economically. As it is, he and his economic team are just not getting this right fast enough -- the desire is there, the purpose and intent, but the pace is slow, and the decisions and policies poor.

They need intellectual help, fast!

The economy is sinking!

P.S. As long as we continue to import refined products (in-lieu of refining our own crude), and some other nonsense products that we actually have here or can produce here, there will always be big problem with the Naira.

Throw in unstable power supply and 'gen' consumption; factor in artificial excess liquidity created by the CBN, and some other 'whack' CBN's monetary policies.

1 Like

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by keneharry: 5:50am On Dec 12, 2015
This is now a very serious issue oo..what is our president and finance minister doing to cub this things...Goodluck's administration wasn't xo bad as this oo
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by miqos02(m): 5:51am On Dec 12, 2015
hmmmm
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by davabiao(m): 5:53am On Dec 12, 2015
Kenai:

With this disastrous news, get ready for tomorrow's story by Buhari and his goons on Goodluck Jonathan's $980bn loot, all in a desperate attempt to deflect attention from our current economic woes and keep their gullible supporters distracted on frivolities and nonsensical white lies.

If we didn't have a voting public so intellectually vapid, the focus would have been on asking our dear mallam to adequately elucidate on how he so miraculously "Cut down Nigeria's Inflation from 20 percent to 0 percent" as his campaign team so falsely bellowed.
A few minutes of investigation and fact-checking would have made it clear to anyone that the story was nothing but a blatant lie.
When you claim to be an honest man, but your campaign promises are filled to the brim with unintelligent lies and slogans, it's time for some soul searching.

What's even worse is the fact that this man fought tooth and nail for the presidency for 12 years. 12 SOLID YEARS!
He finally gets there and is as visionless and lost as ever, promising to hit the ground running but taking 6 months to build a cabinet; with his mouth in hyperdrive and his brain in suspended animation.

cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique, Ishilove, Firefire, AgabaI23, Atlwireles, WhiteTechnology, Whynotthetruth, Beremx, sunnyb0b0, Anonimi, MizMyColi, Ola6, Chukwudi44, NgeneUkwenu, Midolian, Modath, OrlandoOwoh, Jarus, Owobokiri, Owobikiri, AnambraDota, Rozayx5, Mogidi, TonyeBarcanista, Ecoterrors, Rawtruth, Onenaira3, Dabullit
This is just the beginning. When we allow #morons to lead us. God help Naija.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 12, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
So?...who exchange don help apart from yahoo boys?...
E don help importers. Mtcheew!
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by mama777(f): 6:00am On Dec 12, 2015
dis is really really bad.why causing untold hardship to people.but is also an opportunity for those living abroad to send dollars to der families
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by diva90: 6:07am On Dec 12, 2015
Patiently waiting for dollar to be N270 or more, so that I can change my dollars wink
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Demmocrats(m): 6:13am On Dec 12, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Ask any landlord. Some tenants facing eviction will trash an apartment to make the place uninhabitable by the next tenant.
For you goons, you are advocating that the landlord pretend that nothing is amiss and rent out the place, carry on like it is an el Eldorado. No! The place must be fixed first. Buhari must step up the house cleaning.

A programme that contains a lot of errors on compiling must be fully debugged to be fully operational. Only a mor.on will continue coding with multiple errors staring him in the face. Buhari must debug Nigeria first before any reasonable progress will be made.

How much more do I need to educate you on the difference between reality and fantasy?

/

/** What language do you code with **/
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 6:13am On Dec 12, 2015
I can't wait to hear what a certain thug governor is going to say about this grin

But wait, he's probably sweeping the streets or running ero ilota.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Question2015: 6:13am On Dec 12, 2015
How can I send Dollars from the United States to Nigeria and the recipients will get it at the parallel rate or get it in Dollars? Western Union and Moneygram are giving the official rate (less than 200 Naira to a Dollar) to recipients. Thank you.
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by drnoel: 6:21am On Dec 12, 2015
Kenai:

samething we say everyday, we tell them but they refuse to listen. Nobody goes pointing at a witch when you know the witch knows where you stay or go to the market place to say that John is a thief when he came to your house the day before to drink. This government bastardized the previous one and only insisted on probing GEJ government but in a bead to punish the man just because he embarrassed them and gave up power but all those is just to hide the Facts. The Facts are that the Nigerian econmy is in recession, forex market crashed last week, oild Prices are on free fall, the niara has taken ist first real noise dive after 42 years and they will come to tell us that GEJ is fault when all they wanted was to us alamarijis to wrestle power from him. Fine you have gotten the power, tell us what you have for Nigerians their Brains went into a Plateau because they had no other plan in mind. Had not thought further inline beyond having that power. A Person can never give what he doesnt have and this government doesnt have it. QUote me anywhere "Nigerians are in Trouble with this government".

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by Nobody: 6:24am On Dec 12, 2015
Papertrail11:
if yu wanna make dollar reduce and help the economy her die cancel that nonsense called bureau the changi simple......

banks are selln for 199 yu guys are selln for 260 una dey crasee..... every normal person who needs dollar ought to go the bank and easily get it but yu guys create some kind of artificial increase nd help fiance money laundering....and stuff.....if normal pple went to bank an bureau the changi is cancelled pple who do not necessarily need it wont rush to buy it......I dont know if sm1 is feeln me here just d way I see it

My Guy, Malams ,abokis and Muslims owned bureau de change business in naija
Malam bubu will rather die first than "take food from a fellow Malam mouth,
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by babyfaceafrica: 6:31am On Dec 12, 2015
hopilo:

Guy will you stop this display of ignorance in the public. Don't make me believe what the keep saying about touts on Nairaland
swerve..who know you?
Re: Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years by tete7000(m): 6:34am On Dec 12, 2015
Since I was born and grew to know Naira, it has always been falling. This is no news to me. God will sustain his own through these turbulent days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

See The Man I Saw Using POS Machine Selling His Gurasa Suya In Birnin kebbi / Share Your Worst Broke Moments Experiences In Life / Obi Cubana Hosts His Classmates At DMGS Onitsha In His Anambra Home (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.