Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids (14947 Views)

How Many Kids Would You Love To Have In Future? Name Them / Why Do Poor People Have More Children Than The Rich? / How Many Kids Do You Wanna Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sauron1: 8:43pm On Jun 10, 2009
Poor people have so many kids so they could use em for "Child Labour".
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 8:48pm On Jun 10, 2009
~Sauron~:

Poor people have so many kids so they could use em for "Child Labour".

Is that your stategy  to get out of Brixton? grin
you and hotfunmilayo?
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by bawomolo(m): 8:49pm On Jun 10, 2009
$osisi:

It's against some religions to practice coitus interruptus

oh for real, which religions?

Sauron is a love-vendor by the way, his girlfriends work for him while he posts on NL.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by royalicon(m): 8:52pm On Jun 10, 2009
Its a subject of illiteracy level in some of them.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Grizzly(m): 8:55pm On Jun 10, 2009
Pull out method! In this age? When u empty half inside and pour the remaining outside you say pull out.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sauron1: 8:56pm On Jun 10, 2009
$osisi:

Is that your stategy  to get out of Brixton? grin
you and hotfunmilayo?

That's the strategy.
11 kids(i must have).
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by ayoos(m): 9:00pm On Jun 10, 2009
I don't really know but God is sovereign, sometimes they already have two or three kids by the time they want to have the last one, they give birth to triplets or more. The rich in Lekki or Ikoyi will be praying to God for one. Who can answer?
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by kokoye(m): 9:06pm On Jun 10, 2009
That's life - life is NOT fair.

That's why at times you see girls who have done a million abortions and they are the first to get married and have kids; the one who remained a virgin until marriage is still begging for one child after 10 yrs.

No answer for you.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by damola1: 9:34pm On Jun 10, 2009
Don't know man,

But I know I would love to have a large family,

I pray to have at least 6 children, and the means to make sure we are all laughing, I simply just love a large family,
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by slimfine(f): 10:20pm On Jun 10, 2009
poor people are too concern with daily survival that they have no time and money set out for sex education, contraceptives, and family planning! plus many of them are uneducated!
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by md4real(m): 10:53pm On Jun 10, 2009
no work, busy doin thier thing. shocked
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by tope5000: 11:03pm On Jun 10, 2009
md4real:

no work, busy doin thier thing. shocked

LOL cheesy
Also because they cant afford a condom or any form of contraceptives cheesy
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:29pm On Jun 10, 2009
I thought Nigeria was the happiest genuine country because of the high level of poverty cheesy
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 12:43am On Jun 11, 2009
becomerich,you are not making any sense
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by beewhyfocs(m): 1:02am On Jun 11, 2009
In the first place,what is the limit to the number of kids that a family should have?

And the fact that some are satisfied with two should not make it the norm.

By the way, even the so acclaimed rich people would testify that they wanted

more kids if they have the opportunity. It is as well amazing that quite a number

of people doing fine today are products of the so called poor people. I wonder

what Nigeria would look like if some kids had not been given birth to. So every one should

define what they want, and are capable of taking care o,f and pray to God for His provision.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by becomrich15: 1:38am On Jun 11, 2009
3 children i consider to be okay. no nation should allow for 2 children. if everybody in a country have 2 children their population if no immigration would continue to reduce till zero, simple maths. it is not good for economy.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 1:40am On Jun 11, 2009
beewhyfocs:

In the first place,what is the limit to the number of kids that a family should have?

The number you can cater for without flashing relatives to help you pay their school fees and hospital bills

And the fact that some are satisfied with two should not make it the norm.

2 is a good number if that's all you can take care of
just because you have a private part,doesn't mean you must born pikin every 9 months

By the way, even the so acclaimed rich people would testify that they wanted

more kids if they have the opportunity. It is as well amazing that quite a number

of people doing fine today are products of the so called poor people

If you say rich people,they can take care of their kids financially but they don't also have to breed like roaches.
Besides money,kids need attention.
Taking care of 2 or 3 is easier than taking care of 7 or 8 emotionally speaking.

so waht if the rich person had poor parents,is that a reason to perpetuate their parents ignorance?
because Pa Jimoh had 18 kids ,is that a reason for boy Jimoh to have 18?

. I
wonder what Nigeria would look like if some kids had not been given birth to. So every one should

define what they want, and are capable of taking care o,f and pray to God for His provision

Nigeria would be a much better place.Our meagre infrastructure and resources cannot support the swelling population.
The Kainji dam has been unable to keep up with population growth so far,isn't that enough frustration.
Unemployment and abundance of kidnappers, teenage prostitutes, 419ers,armed robbers, alaye,area boys and almajiris nko?
were those not some peoples bundles of joy that have have now become our national pain?

You don't have kids and then pray for resources to take care of them ,that is thinking backwards.
You have the number you can reasonably take care of then pray for resources to give them an even  better life and provide for their needs.
That's what anyone with common sense should do.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by becomrich15: 1:46am On Jun 11, 2009
Our nation can support increase population, we just have bad leaders. with good leadership,

"""capable of taking care""

no, that stupid, what you are capable of taken care for, is relative and varies with time and chance. You may be making $100,000 now and your economy drop to zero. You were capable before, but you are not now. 3 is the minimum to develop a nation. A nation most have grow rate. A nation have no growth rate with 2 children. 2 children  have decremental rate in demographic. So nation should encourage at least 3 children.

Look you can become rich anytime. I tell you this. The more your responsibility, the more God provide. You work two jobs if you have too. If you have a reasonable partner.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 1:50am On Jun 11, 2009
becomrich,:

Our nation can support increase population, we just have bad leaders. with good leadership,

no, that stupid, what you are capable of taken care for, is relative and varies with time and chance. You may be making $100,000 now and your economy drop to zero. You were capable before, but you are not now. 3 is the minimum to develop a nation. A nation most have grow rate. A nation have no growth rate with 2 children. 2 children  have decremental rate in demographic. So nation should encourage at least 3 children.

[b]Look you can become rich anytime. I tell you this. The more your responsibility, the more God prov[/b]ide. You work two jobs if you have too. If you have a reasonable partner.

Okay sir.
The shoemaker down the street living in a face me I face you can go ahead and marry 3 wives and have 19 kids because God will provide
Nigerians and blaming everything on God.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by becomrich15: 2:36am On Jun 11, 2009
19 children ke. are you ok osisi. 3 children is minumum for nigeria and i think 4 is maximum. But if one partner dies and yo remarry, it would increase.

Osisi 2 children in demography of a nation , the growth rate is zero in the book, but minue or negative in real life because of child immortality.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nwaka77: 3:11am On Jun 11, 2009
$osisi:

The number you can cater for without flashing relatives to help you pay their school fees and hospital bills

2 is a good number if that's all you can take care of
just because you have a private part,doesn't mean you must born pikin every 9 months

If you say rich people,they can take care of their kids financially but they don't also have to breed like roaches.
Besides money,kids need attention.
Taking care of 2 or 3 is easier than taking care of 7 or 8 emotionally speaking.

so waht if the rich person had poor parents,is that a reason to perpetuate their parents ignorance?
because Pa Jimoh had 18 kids ,is that a reason for boy Jimoh to have 18?

. I.

Nigeria would be a much better place.Our meagre infrastructure and resources cannot support the swelling population.
The Kainji dam has been unable to keep up with population growth so far,isn't that enough frustration.
Unemployment and abundance of kidnappers, teenage prostitutes, 419ers,armed robbers, alaye,area boys and almajiris nko?
were those not some peoples bundles of joy that have have now become our national pain?

You don't have kids and then pray for resources to take care of them ,that is thinking backwards.
You have the number you can reasonably take care of then pray for resources to give them an even better life and provide for their needs.
That's what anyone with common sense should do.

I agree 100%
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nwaka77: 3:34am On Jun 11, 2009
becomrich,:

no, that stupid, what you are capable of taken care for, is relative and varies with time and chance. You may be making $100,000 now and your economy drop to zero. You were capable before, but you are not now. 3 is the minimum to develop a nation. A nation most have grow rate. A nation have no growth rate with 2 children. 2 children have decremental rate in demographic. So nation should encourage at least 3 children.

Look you can become rich anytime. I tell you this. The more your responsibility, the more God provide. You work two jobs if you have too. If you have a reasonable partner.

@bolded part

So why has God not provided for all the poverty stricken families I see in Nigeria? Do you know how many kids that belong to other relatives (with many children) that my parents had to provide for and raise in our home because of this faulty way of reasoning?

If having 2 children is bad for a nation, how come many of the highly developed societies of the world today are the ones where the birth rate is low to moderate?

How come a country like Nigeria with an over the top birth rate has many of its citizens languishing in poverty?

Already, Nigeria has started importing certain food types. Can local farmers keep up with the constant growth of the population? Food is so expensive in Nigeria, its not even funny. I wonder how the masses cope.

What use is a nation's growth rate if economically speaking, the nation is stagnant with no basic infrastructures?

As for child mortality, that would be greatly reduced just like in advanced societies if we can eliminate poverty and revamp our healthcare sector. Do you hear people who live in advanced societies thinking about child mortality in 2009?

Of what use are so many kids nowadays anyways? Some of us in the west have 41K plans and do need to breed like rabbits so we can become financially dependent on our adult children in old age.

Agh! I rest my case undecided
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by ollybosieb: 6:32am On Jun 11, 2009
I wonder o !
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 11, 2009
I think its most common with the Ibos. I'm yet to see any Ibo couple married over 20 yrs who have less than 6 children. I served in the East and know this for sure. Some school of thought says they're trying to recoup the population lost during the Civil war

@ Osisi,
I talk lie? grin
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Ournaija: 10:06am On Jun 11, 2009
Gaggi:

I think its most common with the Ibos. I'm yet to see any Ibo couple married over 20 yrs who have less than 6 children. I served in the East and know this for sure. Some school of thought says they're trying to recoup the population lost during the Civil war

@ Osisi,
I talk lie? grin

I dont think it`s peculiar to a particular tribe in Naija. The Igbos are the most monogamous family yet they still manufacture children like a selling commodity. A Yoruba woman can marry up to 5 men and still give them 2 kids each. The Hausas are sit down at home and manufacture as many as our government can support. It cuts across the nation in different version.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Hauwa1: 2:18pm On Jun 11, 2009
you know the one i don't really like is the 'side dish' that's common.

if a man is married and blessed with 2, 3, 4, 5 kids (from his wife), i can manage to think abt it. the one i just hate is a man who goes abt pregnanting every ladi, mero, bose, ndidi. his wife got 4 kids for him . . . and the rest alate each got one for him. by the time you  add it up, he has got 12 kids! black men should know how to keep to their wife and stop spraying their sperms all over.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 11, 2009
@entire thread

The only logical answer to the title of this thread is. . .

. . . THEY "4k" A LOT

4k means 2 ve sex n u can't ve babies without fucking (present continuous tense of "4k")

period!

-moves 2 anoda thread-
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Relax71: 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2009
MKO Abiola had Bleep number of children, guess he didn't have enuff funds to satisfy his recreational needs.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 5:53pm On Jun 11, 2009
Gaggi:

@ Osisi,
I talk lie? grin

Igbos are mostly monogamous
and polygamous families have the most kids and the highest poverty rates and they are[b] mostly [/b] found in the SW and northern Nigeria not in SE and SS
Nigerian statistics tell us the SE have the lowest poverty indices followed by the SS
This is in no way a tribal issue but I thought you should know that little fact before continuing your tribal bashings.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by porka: 5:54pm On Jun 11, 2009
[b]I think some of the reasons have been discussed extensively already by other people on this thread. I also think it's not the problem of the poor alone.

a) Love of children: Africans particularly are so fond of children. Rich and poor, powerful commoners, villagers and urbane folks alike, they all love children. I may be how we are wired.

b) Superstition - it looks foolish, but many people are superstitious. Some think children bring them good luck. Some people feel having more children will balance the their lucks.

c) Ignorance - some people ignorantly believe that having a small number of children causes health problems for women. I have heard people attributing some gynaecological problems to "children unborn" in the woman's womb.

Finally, while it looks that it is common among the poor is because of the apparent disadvantage is confers on their children in life. The circle of poverty remains unbroken, they become bitter and superstitious, they think someone who's more advantegeous is arrogant, they think people who have succeeded are crooks because they cant just figure how they cant succeed like their fellow childhood friend afterall they "knew" them before. They easily take to crime with parental approval, many times their parents provide "juju" for them to succeed in crime.

Because of these apparent disadvantage, we tend to think it's the poor that are affected the most. No, rich and affluent guys are into these thing, Check the list, Abiola, Obj, David Mark etc.
[/b]
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sauron1: 5:56pm On Jun 11, 2009
$osisi:

Igbos are mostly monogamous

Monogamy has nothing to do with this.
My Igbo tenant in Lagos has 17 siblings from the same mother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D / How To Bond With Your New Born / What Is Wrong In Taking Money From Your Hubby's Pocket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.