Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,246 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids (14946 Views)

How Many Kids Would You Love To Have In Future? Name Them / Why Do Poor People Have More Children Than The Rich? / How Many Kids Do You Wanna Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by retrochic: 11:30am On Jun 26, 2009
its simple,dey hv no oda form of recreation besides SEX cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by ifababa(m): 2:57pm On Jun 26, 2009
An idle "BULALA" is the devil's workshop, so simple,

I rest my case
Ifababa
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by agathamari(f): 8:12pm On Jul 10, 2009
because they think that "family planning" (guessing when the woman ovulates) is actually effective. 80 % of those who practice this antiquated idea are called, PARENTS!
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by oladayo042: 3:22pm On Jul 11, 2009
"AN IDLE HAND IS THE DEVILS WORKSHOP", SO SAYS AN ADAGE. WHEN THE POOR MAN HAS NOTHING TO DO, HIS WIFE WILL BE HIS SOURCE OF ENJOYMENT AND HE WILL NOT HESITATE TO DO SO.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Tanna(f): 6:28am On Aug 08, 2009
Simple economics.

They can't afford the basics, how on earth are they to take what little money they have for something like condoms and birthcontrol pills.

Also, sex is entertainment, a de-stresser, and allows "escape" for a little while. Is cheap.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sissy3(f): 6:33am On Aug 08, 2009
Tanna:

Simple economics.

They can't afford the basics, how on earth are they to take what little money they have for something like condoms and birthcontrol pills.

Also, sex is entertainment,  a de-stresser, and allows "escape" for a little while. Is cheap.

remember not EVERY body agrees with this whole idea of birth controls and contraceptives if even they can afford it. for some it's unnatural, while for others it's a sin so put that into consideration too.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sexyLeamon(f): 6:42am On Aug 08, 2009
I don't get it either. You'd think they'd be smart enough to have 1 or 2 children and raise them correctly instead of having more kids than they can handle. a lot of poor people often don't have access to contraceptives, their religious beliefs prevent the use of them or they just do not know about it.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by couple: 1:23pm On Aug 13, 2009
It's a combination of almost what has been written here and many more i dont even want to delve into because just reading through this thread brings tears to my eyes as i am a product of the topic in question and you guys just cant imagine how much it hurts to be forced into raising kids you didnt bring into this world just becos u wouldnt want to stand and see ur siblings suffer.
I call it child abuse cos there's no way else to look at it.
You can just imagine in my case beign the first amongst a football team borne to same clergy parents.i practically ran away from home as a teenager for europe just to support my siblings and thats what i've been doing till this day,sacrificing my own happiness and life for them.i call myself the family jesus and they are always like we hope ur other siblings would be like u but they do not want to understand what im going thru to make all this happen just because im a free giver.gosh my heart aches if only they know how it feels.i feel been used to clean up a mess i didnt create and i've cried out in protest a few times but after a while guilt takes d better part of me and im back to my charity work again.its really depressing n saddening.im 30 but have been saddled with providing for a family this huge academically n otherwise even though i sacrificed mine to jet out 2 europe.infact im in tears right now cant hold it no more wanna stop here.wished they could read this to know what they've done to me and how unfair it is.
Peace!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by chiejik(f): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2009
na waaah oh shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by mamagee3(f): 8:46pm On May 22, 2010
Cause most of them have very poor planning and unemployed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Igwe9(m): 10:14pm On May 22, 2010
They believe that their relatives would help to train them, or at worst condition would do apprentice or serve oga( as in business wise), or better still the daughters would grow up one day to get married to the rich men.

like someone else had pointed out, could be for the search for the male child and another being idle brain with greediness.
another reason could be family background, some people, 'cos they are the only child in their families, they felt they could make up for their loneliness by producing so many kids. cool
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 2:45am On May 27, 2010
No money to go amusement park,cinema,bowling etc.

And out of the corner of his eyes,he sees his wife and thinks 'kai!!'. . . you all know the rest.

But then again,my great grandfather was a multi millionaire and had a lot of children,so it aint only applicable to only poor people.

Maybe if the Government could hand out free contraceptives at Clinics,it might help curb some of this problem

and also education too. WE too much for Nigeria sef abeg.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 20, 2010
Because clearly they do not have economical/ financial responsibilities as one does when they have a higher education and busy schedules. The more money ppl make the less children they have as they have less time to focus on themselves or be human for that matter  tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by james1(m): 11:37am On Nov 20, 2010
It is not,not right.bringing children into this world to suffer.
If most had 2-4 kids they would better handle their basic need.let's do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by MaiSuya(m): 12:31pm On Nov 20, 2010
Maybe if the Government could hand out free contraceptives at Clinics,it might help curb some of this problem

We tried that before. . .have you forgotten the Sunny Ade/ Onyeka Onwenu jingles in the early ninties where couples were admonished to get free contraceptives from family planning clinics.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 20, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

Because clearly they do not have economical/ financial responsibilities as one does when they have a higher education and busy schedules. The more money ppl make the less children they have as they have less time to focus on themselves or be human for that matter  tongue

they don't have responsibilities? what do you term kids as if not responsibilities?

one reasons would be - for poor people getting down is practically the only form of recreation available, especially in nigeria.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 20, 2010
^^you misunderstood what I am saying, kids = responsibilities obviously, but living in the united states it is an OLD fact that the poorer you are and the more kids you have the more the Gov. will aid you with food stamps, paid rent and shelter. Look at Section 8.

In other countries such as African, Asian and South American it was a historical practice to have children and by western standards living in a mud hut with basic skills and common sense is not enough and therefore = poverty lol. So for the ones who prefer the village life and abiding by ancient ways of life, they are not obligated to pay Mortgage, car notes, rent, school fees; etc. So again ECONOMICS/ FINANCE = NO IMPORTA.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by mutter(f): 2:10am On Nov 21, 2010
Well maybe you should just vote in a law to sterilise poor people so they do not have any kids at all.
I find some of the comments here really discriminatory. I think everyone has an option on how many kids they have.
I have many kids too and I certainly do not live on welfare. We both work and my kids certainly do not have to work.
I have quite a few friends who have many kids too and they face some rather silly views in the society. Most of these couples are educated and income earners. How many families are on welfare and they do not have many kids? How many with just one kid and the do not even bother getting a job?
There are people who have just one or two kids. The kids do not do well in school and lack social competence.
I thank God that my kids make me really proud to of them. I was at a feast with them today. While other mothers were busy running after their kids, I was having my fun.
My kids are also not on the world today because we don`t have a TV or cannot afford contraceptives but because we took that conscious decision to have them. We love having out house full, there is never a boring moment. They also have their social activities and are certainly not deprived.
When I get older I pray I will have my house filled with laughter from my grandchildren. I think our pension will be enough to maintain I do not see my children as my pension.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by invisible2(m): 10:49am On Nov 23, 2010
Because rich guys can afford a girl or two on the sides and cannot disturb madam every day.
Because rich guys can afford to travel and stay away for weeks or months on business and so intimacy time is spaced out.
Because rich women wont like anything to disturb their career or business, they space out child bearing.
Because rich guys dont like having more children they cannot take to study in US or UK, and leave a plot for him in town as inheritance.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by ManofGod3(m): 2:53pm On Nov 23, 2010
Poor people believe that the more children u have, the more people that will take of u when u're old. Thatz why the Igbos call it "Igwe-bu-ike".

The Hausas believe that the mouth created by God must be fed by God.

Whether poor or rich, lets not bring innocent children to this evil world & neglect their training. The Bible says anyone who can't take care of his family is worst than an infidel.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Emade(m): 2:42pm On Nov 24, 2010
u can not miss two things if u do not have money at list u must have many children to show 4 it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by plappville(f): 9:41pm On Nov 24, 2010
Emade:

u can not miss two things if u do not have money at list u must have many children to show 4 it.

Not minding thé responsibilities? Not having money and having plenty children is thesame thing, this means one has already miss thé both. Why producing too Many children in poverty? This is how they end up in having a thief, prostitude, drunker, etc in thé family. Nô child Will stand in thé family becos of lack of education.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by annita19(f): 12:39am On Nov 25, 2010
It's either they are into some kid if governmental benefit or lack some education potentials.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by mutter(f): 1:03am On Nov 25, 2010
annita do you want to tell me that the governmental Benefits are a way of making money? Is it not allot easier to get a job? Kids are a 24 hour job and very stressful as that.
Anyone that really raises a kid, providing also for activities outside school and giving their kids a good standard of education, will be able to tell you that you cannot make money from having kids.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by DisGuy: 4:45am On Nov 25, 2010
^^ mutter

I think most of the comments are largely towards people not working in Nigeria or people who cant actually afford to take care of their kids with the little income they earn, thereby sending them away as house-helps or traders on the street in traffic and so on
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by mutter(f): 12:56am On Nov 26, 2010
Dis guy. IS this problem exclusive to only families with many kids?
I think not.
This is a general problem when people have no money.
Why complain about these parents.
No demand no supply.
If people would not take these minors as househelps, no one will be able to enslave their child.
These parents are doing it out of desperation and poverty.
We could blame the society. A country like Nigeria should be able to conveniently offer free education and even free feeding to all kids in Nigeria.
I do not understand why we are so blinded.
Every child in Nigeria should have access to free education, health , food and shelter, irrespective of their parents income. Nigeria is in a position to afford this.
Instead politicians are helping to defraud these People of their birthright.
Sometimes I ask my self how the masses can be so naive and tolerate this. Everyday innocent Nigerians and the hands of many are stained with their blood.
I think instead of condemning people that have many kids and trying to check a natural right to procreate given to man by God, we should rather condemn those responsible for these children not having access to the fruits of the world.
Fact is there is enough to go around, if shared fairly.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by gestapo(f): 1:42am On Nov 26, 2010
a NATURAL right to procreate does not now mean people should be having 10 kids, how how much do you think is too much
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by invisible3(m): 8:26am On Nov 26, 2010
mutter:

Dis guy. IS this problem exclusive to only families with many kids?
I think not.
This is a general problem when people have no money.
Why complain about these parents.
No demand no supply.
If people would not take these minors as househelps, no one will be able to enslave their child.
These parents are doing it out of desperation and poverty.
We could blame the society. A country like Nigeria should be able to conveniently offer free education and even free feeding to all kids in Nigeria.
I do not understand why we are so blinded.
Every child in Nigeria should have access to free education, health , food and shelter, irrespective of their parents income. Nigeria is in a position to afford this.
Instead politicians are helping to defraud these People of their birthright.
Sometimes I ask my self how the masses can be so naive and tolerate this. Everyday innocent Nigerians and the hands of many are stained with their blood.
I think instead of condemning people that have many kids and trying to check a natural right to procreate given to man by God, we should rather condemn those responsible for these children not having access to the fruits of the world.
Fact is there is enough to go around, if shared fairly.

Let us assume for a second there is enough to go round, but its not going round yet. Do you still think people should be printing children like printing machines and allowing them to roam about, increasing crime rate and generally making a nuisance of themselves?
Okay, if you think so, please go ahead and have more kids.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by mutter(f): 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2010
Gestapo, how much is too much? Do you know a law that is morally correct that stipulates a number?
Do you know of any religion. Do you want us to make laws with mathematical calculations. Is having kids a prerogative of the rich? Maybe the poor should be sterilised?
Invisible, I guess you should know that not only kids of poor people are criminal.
Should we put children in a world where death comes last. In a world with sickness, pain and war? Where do you want to draw the line.
Do you belive that money is all that children need
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by invisible3(m): 2:01pm On Nov 26, 2010
mutter:

Gestapo, how much is too much? Do you know a law that is morally correct that stipulates a number?
Do you know of any religion. Do you want us to make laws with mathematical calculations. Is having kids a prerogative of the rich? Maybe the poor should be sterilised?
Invisible, I guess you should know that not only kids of poor people are criminal.
Should we put children in a world where death comes last. In a world with sickness, pain and war? Where do you want to draw the line.
Do you belive that money is all that children need

Mutter, am not quarreling with you, just look at it this way, I know not only children from poor families are criminals, but they easily lead the way. Children from poor families only have one place to turn to, crime for survival.
The other thing too much children (more than 4) brings is wastages. The future of young men and women are wasting today because, instead of facing their fronts and planning their lives, young men are faced with saving his younger ones from the grasp of hunger. The old dad must have became ragged and shattered by too much suffering and will become weak, sick,disillusioned and nearing the grave daily. The girls will have to fend for themselves, using their body to get what they want from men. Soon she gets pregnant if not infected with aids. The cycle of poverty is repeated afresh.
Having fewer children ensures you can stand a better chance of taking care of them and then, taking care of yourself in your old age. The kids can then move on and dominate their world.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by AntiNigerian: 11:30am On Sep 28, 2020
Ournaija:
A village gurl who is been fed with efo (vegetables) will have as many kid as the nation want without  C & S. You see her look fresh and young.

A city gurl who si been fed with pies, ice cream, chicken, pop corn and so on will rarely have two kids without C & S, thus scaring them from having more pregs.

Can someone tell me why it is so? I wan go pick wife for village because I dey consider raising a football team for this nation before 2020.
this is 2020, hope say you Don get your football team ready?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Twenty8: 7:00pm On Sep 28, 2020
AntiNigerian:
this is 2020, hope say you Don get your football team ready?

so I was 9 when this thread started :-x

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D / How To Bond With Your New Born / What Is Wrong In Taking Money From Your Hubby's Pocket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.