Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids (14943 Views)

How Many Kids Would You Love To Have In Future? Name Them / Why Do Poor People Have More Children Than The Rich? / How Many Kids Do You Wanna Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 6:02pm On Jun 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

Monogamy has nothing to do with this.
My Igbo tenant in Lagos has 17 siblings from the same mother.

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Poverty indices are calculated by using income and family number
and the Nigerian figures tell us the SE have the lowest in Nigeria followed by the SS.
Don't get carried away by one neighbour with 17 kids
I have never stated anywhere that Igbos don't have many kids.
Polygamous homes have the most kids and the most poverty stricken homes
that is just a fact and most of them are not in Igboland
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sauron1: 6:07pm On Jun 11, 2009
$osisi:

I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Poverty indices are calculated by using  income and family number
and the Nigerian figures tell us the SE have the lowest in Nigeria followed by the SS.
Don't get carried away by one neighbour with 17 kids
I have never stated anywhere that Igbos don't have many kids.
Polygamous homes have the most kids and the most poverty stricken homes
that is just a fact and most of them are not in Igboland

I want to see these poverty indices.
Does it include the tonnes of Igbo families in Lagos?
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 6:16pm On Jun 11, 2009
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 6:19pm On Jun 11, 2009
see this too

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 6:21pm On Jun 11, 2009
I'll hate for this to degenerate into a tribal thing.
gaggi made a foolish statement and that's what led us down this path.
Nigerians have many kids period!
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sauron1: 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2009
$osisi:

I'll hate for this to degenearte into a tribal thing.
gaggi made a foolish statement and that's what led us down this path.
Nigerians have many kids period!

Osisi, you can do better than this.
As far as i am concerned, these are just numbers.
I need an article to back up these numbers.
How were the stats collated? On what grounds? Income? Profession? Number of mouths in each family and reh reh reh.
U don't expect a dude like me to believe stats generated by whoever.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 6:38pm On Jun 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

Osisi, you can do better than this.
As far as i am concerned, these are just numbers.
I need an article to back up these numbers.
How were the stats collated? On what grounds? Income? Profession? Number of mouths in each family and reh reh reh.
U don't expect a dude like me to believe stats generated by whoever.

look for it in here
as you could see from my link,It came  from the Nigeria government statistics website.
find it yourself grin
and direct your questions to some Alhaji in Abuja who heads the commision. tongue
http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Sauron1: 7:09pm On Jun 11, 2009
$osisi:

look for it in here
as you could see from my link,It came  from the Nigeria government statistics website.
find it yourself grin
and direct your questions to some Alhaji in Abuja who heads the commision. tongue
http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/

I don't believe the stats.
Nigeria don't keep stats so how did they generate those numbers?
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by cystein(m): 7:14pm On Jun 11, 2009
Well the only source of joy in their lives is Lovemaking. So when it gets cold they know best how to keep warm. Dont blame them o
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by sosisi(f): 7:23pm On Jun 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

I don't believe the stats.
Nigeria don't keep stats so how did they generate those numbers?

I don't believe anything  Nigerian
any news by the Nigerian govt should be taken with a pinch of salt.
didn't they say Kano state was twice as populated as Lagos state?
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Kelvinj(m): 7:39pm On Jun 11, 2009
I no fit shout! Poor man get plenty pikin don turn 2 tribal war b/w SS,SE,SW,NORTH, Abeg make we leave dis topic find anoda 1. Any1 way lyk pikin make im born as many as im lyk, highest dem give am autonomous community.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by bawomolo(m): 10:01pm On Jun 11, 2009
black men should know how to keep to their wife and stop spraying their sperms all over.

it was about time. only black men have affairs.

so predictable.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by DisGuy: 10:04pm On Jun 11, 2009
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by okotie800(m): 10:18pm On Jun 11, 2009
I thìnk the reasons are three.
1-It is due to illiteracy(not in an insultive manner).Poor people are mainly illiterates or those with small edcation.They do not know of family planning.They simply make babies like rabbits.One man in my village has 8 kids.The first is only 17.They just dont care and even in the face of poverty,they still manage to make babies.
2-culture.It is a man who bears the family name and also passes it to future generation.Families that have only female kids tend to continue to make babies until they get what they want.By that time, the kids might have reached 8.
It is really a bad mentality and should be stopped.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 12, 2009
We all know the Ibos are catholics and catholics don't use protection. The Ibos are the ones making our population so much.
You find them just about everywhere. Osisi, no disrespect, but i'm sure you have nothing less than 7 siblings?
Anyways, if the Ibos will zip up, our population will be fine.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by andre3000: 7:48am On Jun 12, 2009
I think people with many kids are poor because they have a lot of money to spend on their kids. Maybe that person was rich when he had no kids, but after he made many kids, it became poor, since to take care of many kids is expensive.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Nezan(m): 2:03pm On Jun 12, 2009
andre3000:

I think people with many kids are poor because they have a lot of money to spend on their kids. Maybe that person was rich when he had no kids, but after he made many kids, it became poor, since to take care of many kids is expensive.

,,,,,, oga na from experience? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by Hauwa1: 3:00pm On Jun 12, 2009
i don't think it is an Igbo thing . . . i think it is a black man thing lipsrsealed undecided.

baby daddy all over the place. i heard black men hate condom. they want to feel the flesh.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:04pm On Jun 12, 2009
Gaggi:

We all know the Ibos are catholics and catholics don't use protection.
'

While I see your logic about Catholics which is true, It's polygamous families that contribute to numerous children in Naija. At least for Catholics, the kids are usually form one wife as opposed to polygamous homes, where you have 4 wives with 5 kids each.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by amaikama(m): 3:40pm On Jun 12, 2009
@poster! cause, the children are the source of their wealth. grin
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by otokx(m): 4:29pm On Jun 13, 2009
Poverty is not the absence of cash but a state of mind.

Poor people have so many kids because that is one of their characteristics.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by beeswax: 11:34pm On Jun 13, 2009
this believe that God gives the children therefore He will provide no matter how many are popped out is one of the problems of poor people.
secondly sex is the only free luxury they have, sad but true
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by rockon(m): 11:35am On Jun 16, 2009
They are poor so they have no TV. Without tv they can't watch any commercial about how to prevent from extra child birth.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by solsy(f): 11:44am On Jun 16, 2009
i wont really classify it as an illiteracy thing, cos i no some illiterates that are better than the so called literates. as someone rightly said, this pple see it as a form of consolation when they get old,at least if not all, one of them will surely remember they av parents,cos human nature could be selfish atimes.  Let me ask us a question why is it that it is this same pple we call poor that give birth to twins, triplets quadruplets and so on.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by theforce(m): 12:02am On Jun 17, 2009
An angle that we all havent looked at is RELIGION!!
I've got a neighbour that stays in a single room apartment,
And wait for it, "HE HAS 8 CHILDRED"!!

The man is not 40 yet and the wife is less than 30years old!
My aunt asked him once and he said they were from GOD!
That his religion does not support contraception and family planning,

I also know a man that is very popular too,
He is into T.V presentation, educated and has a single wife, 10 children
The wife was asked to leave her bank job because she was always taking Maternity Leave,
Year in year out,

Both are more tied to religious than illiteracy reasons,

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by origina9ja(f): 10:48am On Jun 17, 2009
okay
this is stupid
why bring children to the world when u know that you cant take care of them
its just unfair
basically you like and enjoy sex and yet not able to use protection
how dumb
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by jahbless07: 3:36pm On Jun 17, 2009
i had asked the same question until i came to a conclusion: boredom. clearly, its the only way they can kepp busy or have fun (as adults)
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by pannyman(m): 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2009
I bet some of these poor folks with many do not know the relationship between sex and pregnancy, they will just tell you that children are from God
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by hade(m): 5:53pm On Jun 17, 2009
Dts because, thier wife is the recreation they have.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by blackchief(m): 12:31pm On Jun 18, 2009
While I agree that it is more common to see poor people with more kids, i strongly believe that the problem may be an act of wickedness on the part of the parent or it is a disease in the blood that need to be attended too.

I was in one of the state in the middle belt region of the country, somethings early this year, and I saw a successful business man in his 70's well educated that have well over 43kids, the kids (some less than 2 year)were so much that he mistakes the children friends for his own childred. Now tell me what the life of the childred would be like the day the man kicks the bucket.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by segzicres(m): 4:45pm On Jun 18, 2009
that's just to let know that ignorance is still a very huge thug in Nigeria.   it's very sad though.
Re: Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids by ninibaby: 2:07pm On Jun 19, 2009
i think in africa it really comes down to culture, im nigerian and sometimes i dont understand why you will have 20 children and not be able to care properly for them.

girls marry too young cos of this. anyway i hope with my humanitarian work in the future i can help because its something im passionate about.

they also say the more children the more respected true?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D / How To Bond With Your New Born / What Is Wrong In Taking Money From Your Hubby's Pocket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.